• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
There's a lot more to it than Ike's Jab.

I don't think Bowser simultaneously threatens so much space directly in front of him as well as so much space half a stage away.
Since you're too lazy to read, here's a copy-paste of the chunk of the BIG post I was referring to. ;)

"Ike, is an example of someone who 'could' fit here, but he can at least force 'actions' from opponents. The others (ROB/G&W/Ganon/Bowser/Char/Zelda) can to a degree, but none as 'universally' as Ike in terms of functioning. Plenty of ranged disjoint, a distance mix-up for offense/imposing threat, this stuff gives him at least the possibility of 'actually' being able to win without straight-up out-playing opponents (against his 'weaker' match-up conditions that is) raw matches. The same applies to others to a lesser extent, or maybe with simply some conditions applying to them. DK and Lucario fit under each category."

This, means Bowser will simply not be able to win from his 'weak' match-up conditions as functionally unless it involves at least some degree of out-playing opponents. Ike, while having less/more/just as many 'weak' match-up conditions (doesn't matter what), he'll be able to function better without the necessity of out-playing opponents.

DEDEDE IS NOT IN THE GAME
THERE IS ONLY KINGVAN DOODOODOOZE

Really though, he could fit under the same breath as the C criteria (mentioned above after the Ike comment) but can manipulate his conditions enough to fall somewhere between Ike and Ganon in that sense. So naturally, he'll be somewhat polarizing, and can handle himself well, but will suffer massive hurdles throughout a tournament if going alone. He can break stuff, but can also be broken.

He can avoid getting it while getting hits on others (<Smash), to such an extent that he won't win a tournament (C Tier) by himself due to not being able to 'avoid' those conditions, unless he can find a way to function enough in those conditions to get a few 'breaks', which he can do very well outside of very negative conditions.
tldr = He has enough to manipulate conditions in a non-active state that he won't be deficient there to the extent of others in C Tier, but this same dynamic works the same against him given others are free to manipulate conditions against him better than others in C Tier too. Polarizing, but that's his flavor of it.
He'd be in the Char/Jiggs/ROB/G&W category, likely below ROB, Char could easily be top of that Tier too, so give or take 5 and Dedede is around there.

Kind of obvious though, given his observable nature in plain sight. Trust me in that, the depth of him isn't much different than what it looks like. He only has like... a few kinds of hammer swings, a couple different kinds of grabs, and... jumps?
DAT CROUCH
ICs are like Roy/Samus, I just ain't going there yet.
2 Hammers is BROKEN

Edit:
Cassio: I'm referring to the ol' "good players playing their Melee parts losing means the character is worse than Melee" being backwards as arguments between you + others and this topic vs the Pika discussions.
The point stands, but of course it wasn't the whole argument, won't get into that.

DMG: Jesus... Luigi... Christ on Earth... it all makes sense now!!!
Bowser is fine as he is, no overhaul or major tweaks needed. The armor is fine, and an avoid > grab game is pretty standard in Smash, so really he doesn't break things away from fundamentals the way anyone from ICs to Zelda to even Yoshi, Jiggs, or Falcon do with their oddities in play-methods.
Bowser has a DD game that people need to deal with as much as he has to deal with the DD game of others.

The Dash Grab and Dash Attack are sweet.
Jab is the best though.

Reflex: Melee Ganon hit the same thing in the early years. It's a good testament to how these conditions (meta-game wavering and ignorance at any depth) are still with us today, even with so many 'game-related' examples even around Smash directly.
PM needs time, and lots of it. Or just people to stop being all weird and just accept my Tier List as the official and leave it all alone. ;)

Edit: I collapse it into smallness.

Edit: Cassio, mentioning Axe/Anther and basing arguments off their performance in context/relation to a 'goodness' discussion around a character is directly comparing, and directly analogous to the backwards-nature of the comments on Sheik/Falco/etc.
I'm not searching for the quotes, they're yours after all. XD

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
So I don't care to read through this thread too often since it's pretty silly, but has everyone decided on how solid Roy is? I feel like he's preeeeeeeetty solid. Not like stupid good or anything, but like. Real solid.

Cassio

Smash Master
I didnt say anything comparing success in melee and PM there...you gotta be mixing something up :confused:

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
solid is a good way to describe roy. his recovery may not be the best, but THOSE JUGGLES THO. roy is the original juggalo

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I think balancing Bowser is about as hard as we expect it to be. Gimpy did mention in the 3.0 changes thread that there about a million Bowser builds out there were considered at some point or the other. Personally, this worries me and I hope the PM:BR can figure something.

Or give him the ability to JC grounded up-B, everyone should have a JC move, EVERYONE

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Roy has basically all of his issues from Melee but with more reward when things do go in his favor.
He is still very susceptible to CC, and his tippers are still wet newspaper. He's kind of forced into going for a lot of raw approaches out of the neutral, and his approaches in general force him to commit to them just in the nature of his sweetspot system. If it works then he'll junk you with a combo into Fsmash or Neutral B, but if it doesn't work he gets bodied because his physics make him susceptible to basically EVERYTHING in this game.
Doing well with Roy is kind of like doing well with Falcon in Melee to be honest, and I think that's actually a pretty good comparison to draw.
They're both characters with weak neutrals once you get past their mobility because they both lack strong approaches and can't really fall back on defensive play. Mobility is easy to minimize when so many characters have strong projectiles or they are just highly mobile on their own. There are a few matchups where the opponent has neither and in those cases somebody like CFalc or Roy has a clear edge but that's the minority really.
Against most of the cast they both just kind of have to go for it... and hope it works out well; that's what I mean by raw. Typically you try to create an advantage for yourself before committing to an approach but they don't really have good tools to proactively create the advantage so they just go for it without one. If it works well it works REALLY REALLY well, but if it doesn't you get bopped as hard as you would have bopped them.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
What is the obvious weakness you are referring to?
No I'm saying I think the armor is the type of thing that will seem good at first but eventually people will find an obvious weakness to it and it won't be good anymore, that's what I thought gimmicky meant, it's just a prediction, but all the moves that have armor still seem slow so maybe the endlag on those moves? Probably just baiting one of those moves would be enough to take him out, can't say for sure cause I only played 1 good Bowser at Apex and I used Link lol

The ability to trade with shine is pretty paramount in oos options against shine pressure already. For what it's worth, Wolf's shine being CCable just leads him down the path of needing to multishine to knock people down or combo, which already happens pretty frequently. That's a lot of effort as a CC workaround when most characters can just space to not get CCed.

I think Wolf is better than Falco, personally...
Didn't even know this lol, if I had taken advantage of that I feel like I could've done much better against Rat

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Calling all MikeHaggars...
To answer you question, kind of. He punishes hard, but he struggles in the neutral game.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
waddledash to jc grab to destruction is all ddd needs

you see it coming but you can't stop it

no brakes on the ddd train

also this thread is now /ddd/

oh and pls give DDD zelda/fox uair because we want to see the tears that result

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
Calling all MikeHaggars...
To answer you question, kind of. He punishes hard, but he struggles in the neutral game.
Haggar and Hulk are a great comparison for earlier versions of Bowser and current Dedede, I think

Like, how the heck is it possible that this long into UMVC3 a team like Haggar/Hulk/Wesker (Fooblat) can place top 8 at a tourney? Considering all the characters on that team are considered to have just awful, awful awful neutral games or in the case of Wesker, have dropped from higher standing due to their simplistic neutral game?

Easy. Because fundamentals of competitive gaming still matter

This means smart spacing and good hitboxes are still incredibly important. And if your can convert those into massive damage, you're still a threat. Period. Obviously, there's a magical theoretical world where people don't get hit by dumb **** by camping all day and baiting, but guess what? A smart player is gonna do their own baiting, their own camping, their own excellent usages of hitboxes. They'll adapt, just as a player using a character with a good neutral game will adapt.

I'm not saying I think Bowser or Dedede are super high tier or anything; but this argument over the theoretical advantage of neutral game doesn't mean a lot when people are still using their hitboxes, super armor and damage (as opposed to their movement) to do work. Their success at tourneys should make us re-think our theorizing and consider the possibility that, hey, maybe these characters are mid-tierish and not bottom tier like everyone thinks. Haggar and Hulk included.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna get into a large Marvel discussion on the Smash forums, but Fooblat's team gets absolutely crushed by any team that dominates space (Morrigan, eg) and Fooblat, as good of a player as he is, isn't exactly gonna be beating ChrisG in a tournament set any time soon. Nobody is denying Haggar is a good assist, btw. And, just like (I would imagine) Bowser, Hulk relies on either game inexperience or sheer terror/panic/hard reads to get a lot of his damage. That works great for low and even mid-level tournaments (and, occasionally, you'll steal a game from great players) but it's not going to cut it long-term against the best. Case in point: Kaneblueriver switched from rocket punch assist, giving up some of his combo extensions, because he absolutely needs some way to handle the fact that he was getting crushed in the midgame against almost every character.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Someone mentioned earlier about characters that force you to do/deal with something without severely outplaying your opponent.

Strange how Wario escaped that list of characters. Strange how GnW is listed as one of those characters.

Wario is still a pretty good character, guys. Probably Top-12. Discuss.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I still think wario is pretty damn good. The way he can DI after aerials is pretty sick in my opinion, shuts down a lot of shield grabs. Side B still pretty strong, and his new fart broadens up his recovery options quite a bit. Nair is awesome for most edgegaurds, otherwise a bair could also suffice. His options from ledge hang are also pretty strong in my opinion. Just my two cents tho, I understand some Wario players feel as if he doesn't accomplish some things as well as other characters in the cast, I could understand

Burnsy

Smash Lord
What do people think about ZSS? The only well-known players using her are Oro and Leffen, and Mizuki is in the process of picking her up. Does she have the tools she need? It seems that optimizing her gameplay might be more difficult than your average character, so it's hard for me to tell if there is something missing in her kit or if her metagame just hasn't caught up to other newcomers yet.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
What do people think about ZSS? The only well-known players using her are Oro and Leffen, and Mizuki is in the process of picking her up. Does she have the tools she need? It seems that optimizing her gameplay might be more difficult than your average character, so it's hard for me to tell if there is something missing in her kit or if her metagame just hasn't caught up to other newcomers yet.
I don't know how much experience Leffen has with the game (I know he and MattDotZeb have fought Mew2King and Rolex in teams once, before Apex). His ZSS was really on point, though, and carved a large path through Loser's before being knocked out by the watch that put him there. Her kit seems well-developed with great options in neutral and an amazing combo and edgeguarding game, as well as a really hard to gimp recovery. I feel her lack of kill power might hold her back somewhat, though.

Edit: Also the day people stop switching to pocket Foxes in a clutch is the day this game is finally balanced.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Edit: Also the day people stop switching to pocket Foxes in a clutch is the day this game is finally balanced.
I think the game will be balanced long before that happens. Some players have just been using him for so long that they will do this until they get to that same proficiency with their new character, which may take several years.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm actually very curious too. I was gonna ask this same question when I got home later from school.

Does ZSS have any particularly horrible matchups? I mean, yes she's light and a fast-faller, but doesn't really look like she gets comboed hard by other chars, and her recovery is pretty good, so it's not like she will die very early. As far as I see, she might have trouble against characters who favor trades due to her fragility, but someone with a better understanding can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I think the game will be balanced long before that happens. Some players have just been using him for so long that they will do this until they get to that same proficiency with their new character, which may take several years.
A fair point, weird snake-rope-thing.

On a tangential note, anyone else feel like is Falco is utter garbage in doubles? His recovery (lack thereof) means he dies to random people flexing their muscles and if the opposing team chooses to focus him down it's an easy win. At least, it's a fairly easy flowchart to follow: swat away teammate, nudge Falco off ledge, profit. God forbid if his teammate is someone that takes a long time to recover. Stock tanks aren't so hot when you burn through 7 in two minutes.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Someone mentioned earlier about characters that force you to do/deal with something without severely outplaying your opponent.

Strange how Wario escaped that list of characters. Strange how GnW is listed as one of those characters.

Wario is still a pretty good character, guys. Probably Top-12. Discuss.
I don't have tons of experience against the guy, but I do not like that his dash grab animation is the same as his side b. I'll try to get more play time against him and hopefully come back with something more helpful

Paradoxium

Smash Master
With Pikachu I canceled a quick attack with a nair, I also up-smashed into thunder into reverse thunder. The more I play him the harder it is for me to except that pika is a bad character.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
This is a question I've been meaning to ask, but if QAC involves jump-cancelling a grounded Quick Attack, how viable is it to Quick Attack -> JC USmash? Is it possible or can you only QAC into aerials? Shouldn't this work if you can wavedash out of QAC?

And if it does work, then wouldn't it be akin to Fox being able to USmash out of Illusion?

Top Bottom