• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There's no way Olimar is the worst character even with swords: the gathering being so common in the game. What makes you think he's worse than Zelda, let alone Squirtle and Ganon?
I have no respect for olimar. I'll leave it at that LOL

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I don't know if I would go as far to say as Olimar is the worst character, although I do think he's not that far off, I will say he's the most boring character in the game.
Don't know how people enjoy him.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Couple things I would change on Hylian's list. Would put Diddy in A, put ZSS/Marth/Peach/Wario at top of A, then keep everyone else where they are in S and A tiers at least. I don't know how bad Bowser is now, but it's pretty bad, and there is no chance that Olimar is the worst.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Those are reasonable changes.

Just let me have my olimar hate. ;_;. HE IS THE WORST IN MY HEART.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
does anyone have a video of olimar showcasing anything decent with a decent opponent?

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
The weird thing is, I was really looking forward to Olimar before 3.0. Now that he's out... well, I guess 39\41 (I don't care too much for Pikachu either) is really really good, and it would be even if Project M was a professionally developed game instead of a fanmade mod.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Olimar could be Ivan Ooze and nobody would know or care because nobody would play Olimar. PMBR's job is not to balance Olimar but to make him more exciting.

Just give Olimar Falcon fall speed, Jiggs' air mobility, and Marth's run speed and call it a day. Also give each Pikmin hit Mortal Kombat sound effects

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
May I just say that the tier lists are more varied, minus the spacies and the absolute bottom tiers, then ever before.
Honestly, that alone impresses me.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
bowser hasn't ever been all that great to begin with but someone learned how to use others' lack of info on him to win a tournament, obvs OP into the nerf chamber you go

zman804

Smash Ace
Really Good Tier
Fox
Falco
Lucas
MetaKnight
Shiek
Peach
Wolf
Yoshi
Wario
Sonic

Solid Tier
Mario
Marth
Pit
Samus
Squirtle
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Mewtwo
Snake
Ike
Bowser
Ivysaur
Link
Zelda

Mostly Solid Tier
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Ness
Pikachu
Mr. Game and Watch
Toon Link

Still Pretty Solid Tier
Roy
Jigglypuff
Charizard
Donkey Kong
ROB
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
King DDD
Gannondorf

??? Tier
Ice Climbers
Olimar

Peer reviewed by Burnsy, what do you guys think?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
taken from one of my posts on reddit

I think that Bowser is probably the worst character in the game at high level play, but until then he's INCREDIBLY good. If you play the matchup wrong Bowser will mess you up worse than any character by far, but if you play it right he has a LOT of trouble even being able to touch you.

The best way to fight Bowser is to simply not approach and mainly just grab him constantly. His armor and crouch cancel (and crouch armor!) are INCREDIBLY powerful vs an aerial approach or dash attacks or whatever else. You also have to stay very mobile. Shielding when Bowser jumps is just asking to get hit by a koopa klaw.

Bowser has pretty much one mixup. Armor dash attack, or grab. If he hits you with either, you're gonna get hurt real bad. A lot of matchups vs bowser are tough if you either don't have a good grab or you don't have much range.

You HAVE to lame it out, but if you do Bowser is REALLY not scary at all. If you DON'T lame it out you're gonna lose and HARD.

EDIT: Bowser also has a REALLY bad recovery. It isn't bad in terms of distance or actual "recovery" - but it's REALLY predictable. Learn to intercept it. Do not stand on the stage and take a swing. He also has zero lag upon landing from the move, so if he goes high, you gotta intercept high. You can't wait it out like you would if you had say a Captain Falcon recovering high vs you. Be lame on stage, be aggressive off stage.

When Bowser has the ledge, just position yourself right and let him come up to you.

The moral of the story is "let Bowser come to you".
in a game like this one, mobility is king.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bowser also got nerfed tweaked touched this patch. Meanwhile other characters rode the steady buff train this patch. Would not surprise me if Bowser did worse, and was worse, this patch.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
bowser is better in 3.0 than he was in 2.6

but he will do worse over time

because early on nobody knew what they were doing and bowser was easy to win with vs that kind of a playstyle

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Are you sure about that? His changelog doesn't look like a bunch of buffs. Shrunk hitbox on Grounded Upb, Nair knockback reduced, Fair knockback reduced if you don't tipper, etc

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I didn't consider the shield changes, that might help him. I also don't fully get the dash grab change, so maybe that's a buff?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
dash attack and dash grab changes make him a more complete character. the other things make him less stupid.

dash grab change is his biggest and best change

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
"Zelda isn't that bad of a character, but is designed like a self mutilating cactus" Basically sums it up

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You already showed us your hand, hacker. Give us back the real DMG. If you're the real thing, then what does DMG stand for?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Zelda suks

I hope they don't notice me!!

DMG = dr.mario guy

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
People from California thought it was Damage. I went to Genesis 1, and people there legit referred to me as "Damage"

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Nothing compares to DMG though. That's it. No more meaning behind the name, because that IS the name

D

Deleted member

bowser is definitely ruined by grab abuse but his CP options are godly. there's no way that bowser is bottom 5 in real sets.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Upb single handedly prevents Bowser from sucking (that badly)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I am too. I'm convinced he's a really good character right now. In fact, I'm so convinced that he replaced Lucas as my main.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Upb single handedly prevents Bowser from sucking (that badly)
that's why he was so good in melee, right?

umbreon raises a better point, bowser has some great stages. you can't ban all of them. still think he's bottom 5 though at top level play because the same applies in the reverse. the stage doesn't have to be monstrously large to be a bowser counterpick, it just has to be not incredibly tiny.

but like i said until it's at the peak skill level for players bowser wrecks face hard

Top Bottom