• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunders' Combo.* Udated Again* 9~27~06

Just doing an up smash or grab is fine in place of the uair. I think I mentioned other possibilities in the 1st post, and what to do with them.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
The name BC Chris sounds familiar... lol

Silent Wolf, have you ever played PC Chris? (If so, you should explain ^.^)

And now for my real reason of coming to this thread. When I use the combo, I usually tap, uair, utilt and grab the falling Falco/Roy or whoever. But I have a friend who does the combo but instead of tapping does a dtilt > tap (before they hit the ground) > grab (uthrow) > utilt. Which would you guys recommend?

Shai

Smash Rookie
make the falco fall down after the shine
yeah I can do that. Maybe for he next one? I'm not actually sure if I will do more? They're ez enuff to make, but I would only do it if it helped anyone, or if anyone requested more?

I just liked it because a picture is easier to access than searching through a video match or whatevz... The captions also do a better job at explaining each input. I got the idea from another game's thread. But maybe nobody wants, nor cares for them to be a thing? Or perhaps they do and I should get to work making as many as I can?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
yeah I can do that. Maybe for he next one? I'm not actually sure if I will do more? They're ez enuff to make, but I would only do it if it helped anyone, or if anyone requested more?

I just liked it because a picture is easier to access than searching through a video match or whatevz... The captions also do a better job at explaining each input. I got the idea from another game's thread. But maybe nobody wants, nor cares for them to be a thing? Or perhaps they do and I should get to work making as many as I can?
I've actually considered doing something similar to this. Just don't have paint/drawing tools on this laptop.

Tl;dr: I approve. Do more.

Shai

Smash Rookie
Cool -

Well i thought about it, there's the "frame data project"

Maybe there should be an established Character Combo project. Which include but are not limited to listings of Falco, Fox, Peach, Mario, Captain Falcon, Marth, etc etc. You'd click the character you want and there would be a list of well-known combos each with a picture next to its name.

As I said before a picture seems a bit easier to access than combing through videos for clips of a combo and the captions do a better job at explaining inputs.

But that would be a lot of work for one person with an already busy schedule to take on, like me for example.

I can do a few here and there. This one only took me (clearly since the picture quality is dismal) about an hour. I can do a few here and there if people want more. But it would be awesome if other Smashers wanted to go through this with me and possibly help?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Cool -

Well i thought about it, there's the "frame data project"

Maybe there should be an established Character Combo project. Which include but are not limited to listings of Falco, Fox, Peach, Mario, Captain Falcon, Marth, etc etc. You'd click the character you want and there would be a list of well-known combos each with a picture next to its name.

As I said before a picture seems a bit easier to access than combing through videos for clips of a combo and the captions do a better job at explaining inputs.

But that would be a lot of work for one person with an already busy schedule to take on, like me for example.

I can do a few here and there. This one only took me (clearly since the picture quality is dismal) about an hour. I can do a few here and there if people want more. But it would be awesome if other Smashers wanted to go through this with me and possibly help?
It actually would be kinda nice. Pictures best, but I don't have access to anything like that. Not yet at least.

Best I can do is write up one for different characters. But yeah, I like the idea, because I feel like there aren't anything like that around anymore. Best we have is CunningKit's guide, which, as good as it is, feels slightly outdated. I'll see if I can get around to it though.

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
Hey...having a bit of an issue connecting the jab... im ALWAYS coming up short!!!! theres ALWAYS a reasonable amount of space between me and fox when i jab...

I'm pretty sure the issue is the length of my waveshine...i'm pretty fast and consistent at waveshining but only at a normal length, and im having an issue with pressing A too EARLY after the waveshine and not even registering a jab, so i think speed isn't my main issue...Its the Perfect Wavedashing im struggling with, and i can't seem to find any info on proper execution...so with that being said:

What is a good angle to shoot for when attempting a "Perfect Wavedash"?

Is it even possible to connect a jab after a normal-length waveshine (45 degrees) while standing still?

Can you actually press A too early following a waveshine, or am I just tripping balls and pressing A during the shine and not the wavedash?

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Hey...having a bit of an issue connecting the jab... im ALWAYS coming up short!!!! theres ALWAYS a reasonable amount of space between me and fox when i jab...

I'm pretty sure the issue is the length of my waveshine...i'm pretty fast and consistent at waveshining but only at a normal length, and im having an issue with pressing A too EARLY after the waveshine and not even registering a jab, so i think speed isn't my main issue...Its the Perfect Wavedashing im struggling with, and i can't seem to find any info on proper execution...so with that being said:

Is it even possible to connect a jab after a normal-length waveshine (45 degrees) while standing still?

Can you actually press A too early following a waveshine, or am I just tripping balls and pressing A during the shine and not the wavedash?

A few things:

It's a lot easier to do when you shine from a run (and dash cancel by crouching from your run then shining. When you shine, you you'll slide forward because you still have momentum so even when you're in-actionable you are moving towards your opponent. Then wavedash as normal. Same for shine-> usmash. Also try to do your wavedash horizontally and push A asap.

I personally think it's a tad overrated because shine can be teched. If they tech the shine you can't react to it at all because you already committed to doing the jab. I prefer tech chasing with uthrow or even usmash but they are all pretty good options. Thunders is pretty flashy and can get you a big heavy chain but it can be teched and the jabs stop resetting at a certain percent and IIRC you can SDI the jab and mess up the combo.

It's not like uthrow doesn't **** most of the cast so I just prefer to do that.

4 Aces

Smash Ace

Yeah, this is my main problem as well. Usually it's not wavedashing far enough for my jab to connect. That, and I'm slow at following up after the jab.

Uh, for perfect waveshines, I guess just try to do them with the stick angle as close to horizontal as possible...that's all I can say. I'm not great at it either.

I could be wrong, but I think what also helps is if you do your jab quickly and confidently. Cuz if you take too long then the character that fell down will slide too far away. *I could be wrong though* Idk, I just feel like if I follow up the waveshine with a jab immediately it's more likely to connect.

Yes, I think you can try to hit the A button too early (like, REALLY early); this is because wavedashes do have "lag" afterwards; there's a time during the wavedash where you can't do anything. It's pretty brief, but it is *technically* possible to make inputs before you are able to do make inputs

tl;dr:
1) Waveshine quickly
2) Waveshine as far as possible (perfect waveshines -- though, I suppose if you can't, taking a few steps afterwards then jabbing should be fine)
3) Jab as soon as possible
4) Hit-confirm the jab into falling uair

4 Aces

Smash Ace
A few things:

It's a lot easier to do when you shine from a run (and dash cancel by crouching from your run then shining. When you shine, you you'll slide forward because you still have momentum so even when you're in-actionable you are moving towards your opponent. Then wavedash as normal. Same for shine-> usmash. Also try to do your wavedash horizontally and push A asap.

I personally think it's a tad overrated because shine can be teched. If they tech the shine you can't react to it at all because you already committed to doing the jab. I prefer tech chasing with uthrow or even usmash but they are all pretty good options. Thunders is pretty flashy and can get you a big heavy chain but it can be teched and the jabs stop resetting at a certain percent and IIRC you can SDI the jab and mess up the combo.

It's not like uthrow doesn't **** most of the cast so I just prefer to do that.
Idk if it's over-rated. No one really talks about it or uses it. If anything, I'd say it's under-utilized. Most people don't tech shines (very well, if at all), but yeah, I see what you're saying.

Top Bottom