• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This new forum! Embed Youtube Videos :)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well as discussed in the video thread, this is an attempt to reorganise and unclutter our video and critique threads as to reduce the responsibility of a single person. Newest topics (which are to be dedicated to a particular match up, tournament or player etc AND also cover critique videos [and maybe combo videos?]) are always listed at the top of the forum, posting in threads does not naturally push it back towards the top of the listings (a sort of 'autosage').

Hopefully I can push to get more features added to the set up (like a 'date of video' option that is then what sorts the forum, highlighting of the match up being played and maybe embedding youtube videos) over time. We would like our threads organised, so we'll have a manual set up for information for now (topic title).

The essence of it is, a particular thread is made for an individual or closely related videos. If new videos come out, they should receive a new thread. Making multiple topics from one tournament may actually be worthwhile ('High level' single match up sets? Different marth players?), multiple threads for different players (spread over time), etc etc
Post counting is disabled, multiple threads shouldn't usually be considered spam/etc). Xenoposting (for reasons like 'just finished uploading another vid of X at a tournament') follow a similar view.

For now I'd like to discuss a topic posting format for this forum.

Probably something like
[Date(s)] [Purpose - Critique? Match up? Tournament? Misc?] [player(s) / match up]*
That way if a player were to search 'thread titles' only in this forum for 'MikeHaze' then each topic should be listed in date order featuring mikehaze.

For apex I would think some good descriptors would be:
[Jan 12] [APEX] Ditto Match up - Nike, Tyrant, MikeHAZE, LEE RAMIN THE BLIND META KNIGHT, Sephiroth Ken, Shaya
[Jan 12] [APEX] Getting gayed by Meta Knight - Mew2King vs MikeHaze, Ramin vs Tyrant, Shaya vs CPU
[Jan 12] [APEX] MikeHaze - Mew2King, etc.

Thoughts on multiple topic sharing videos?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
This could become the standard if this becomes successful, Fuufu.

:phone:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It might be good for guides to get a new subforum. Guides + critique. Except some character boards won't have any use for that..

Doesn't matter in the end how you do it, so I see this subforum as aesthetics.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I don't see why it is necessary to make an entire new forum for a video thread.

If you are looking to keep up to date videos on the first page, I feel you guys should at least archive the older ones as well.

Then again, your the ones who are deciding what to do.

because Marth is the new MK
No, just the character with the best match up spread. Meta Knight gone is gonna result in the return of Dedede is going to give Marth players unfamiliar with him a hard time.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Looooooooooool DDD.

While this idea is awesome and hopefully turns out well, I liked only having to subscribe to two threads.

Curse you for making me leave my User CP.

Ugg

Smash Champion
Marth Videos & Critique Official General Discussion

This forum is a great idea! I do worry about the generality of this sub-sub-forum, though. I propose that this be broken up into several sub-sub-sub forums:
  1. Friendlies
  2. Money Matches
  3. Tournament Matches
  4. Crew Battles/Non-Standard Competitive
  5. Demonstrative Videos (Research, Guides, AT Demonstrations, etc.)

I think this orginization would further help and enhance the value of this forum! Does anyone else think so?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Uhhh... merging this with the sticky'd thread...

Oh, and Ugg, I've taken your advice to heart and will most definitely be implementing all of these sub forums asap.
;)

Honestly though, I think people are taking the Marth boards getting a subforum as something a lot more special than it really is.
Perhaps I've become completely desensitised to these things due to secret BBR mindfudgery. But at the same time, having a billion subforums for secret BBR shenanigans has worked out well in terms of organisation, and is the reason why I felt it could work on the public front.

If you're jelly your forum doesn't have its own subforum............. HARASS YOUR CHARACTER BOARD'S MODERATOR. AND END EVERY CORRESPONDENCE WITH "HEUHUEHUEHUEUHEUHE". AND MAKE SURE THEY DON'T KNOW I TOLD YOU TO DO THAT. As had already been said, if this works here, it will likely follow suite elsewhere!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This forum is a great idea! I do worry about the generality of this sub-sub-forum, though. I propose that this be broken up into several sub-sub-sub forums:
  1. Friendlies
  2. Money Matches
  3. Tournament Matches
  4. Crew Battles/Non-Standard Competitive
  5. Demonstrative Videos (Research, Guides, AT Demonstrations, etc.)

I think this orginization would further help and enhance the value of this forum! Does anyone else think so?
Can't you just add like a tag to put into titles? a Money Match tag would also do more than just be a thread to host vids of MMs but also be a good indicator that a thread is about getting MMs

Browny

Smash Hater
Why isnt this a sub-forum lol?

If anything, the social thread should be kept separate from the main character board, where actual game discussion goes on (Q&A/videos/matchups)

-
Eh, looks like it is a sub-forum kinda. I didnt expect it would be visible in the character (bowser -> zss) parent board though >_>

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It's probably a good idea for every other character board.

I'll keep an eye in here more often and see how it goes.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Any links to youtube videos (using the url tags) will now embed the video into your post. This only applies to this forum and should generally only be done by the topic owner in the original post if possible.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I like the idea of this and hope it spreads to other character boards.

I don't like how it only applies to Marth boards though.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
When do Diddy boards get one of these?
Get your moderator to ask the right people to get hooked up.

Also... like... don't make unrelated topics.... anything like that should be in dis thread.
I would say that the system works, I think it's reasonably pleasant to use, and although the board isn't stacking billions of threads, it didn't really need to for it to be a good change.
However, while it's nice to have, maybe the uppers won't like having these (one in every single character sub forum + voiding the usage of the video forums [which I believe we have more 'functionality' for 'videos' here than those actual forums have]) and it will either get shut down (:() or the Marth boards get to keep their slice of shaya-ego and prosper forever, taunting the diddies/miscellaneous boards who seem to like it and would love it for their character board.

Top Bottom