• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thirty Days of Life - Competitive Discussion Thread

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Speaking of that Sky Pirate, you guys should do something to expand your scene. I'm still working on Houston and I'm slowly getting more people ^_^
Curious, how exactly are you expanding your scene?
Our scene is a bit scattered, and it seems odd to advertise for smashfests in San Marcos (a city 30 minutes south of Austin) in Austin.

Really? O___O I couldn't find a thread by you lol. Unless I'm blind/overlooked it, which seems more likely lol. But I don't get increased whistle range; don't the pikmin come back when you whistle, regardless where Olimar/the pikmin are? O___O
Fino's trolling. We get no extra benefits from pikmin phase changes.
Check the thread directory next time.

Sync.

Smash Champion
I made a facebook group, I have biweekly tournaments, grant free entry to new players advertise at school make new people feel welcomed for a few things :)

:phone:

Dnyce

Smash Master
I may or may not have discovered a hidden blind spot to Olimar. After a couple prelim tests I've found that there is a window for our fsmash for some characters to shield it, roll into us, and still have frame advantage.

The prelim testing was already exhausting, but I think it's fairly important. I want to know to what degree you want me to test? By that I mean, the variables at work are primarly characters (ie run speed, weight, roll speed), fsmash spacing (since the hitbox damage decreases over time) and freshness of fsmash (and color of course).

The prelim testing showed there is a window for mk and diddy to abuse it with yellow and white fsmash. Didn't test blues and reds because the numbers I have from smashlab formulas didn't support it being possible (but I'll check later if you guys want). Although, you guys should know this by now just from exp... but try to never fsmash will yellow / white. Yellows are only good in certain situations (like as an anti-air vs marth, etc).
I made a facebook group, I have biweekly tournaments, grant free entry to new players advertise at school make new people feel welcomed for a few things :)

^THIS

Phil and I (mostly phil) have been doing something a lot similar and have been getting good results. By good I mean within a month our scene has grown 8 fold. One thing you have to realize (building on what sync said about making the new people feel welcome) is low/midlevel players are the foundation of having a successful scene in a formerly dead area. They are the incentive for better players to come or even travel to your events. For instance, the first biweekly we hosted (maybe a month or so ago) we had 12 people (9 of them were completely new faces). We posted fliers on campus, made a facebook page, etc etc. We didn't advertise on smashboards at all really. The fact that we had over 10 people was shocking to me, but it's only grown from there. A lot of the "I want to come but can't make it this weekend" people came to the following ones after seeing we had 12 people. The last one we held in mid november hit 25ish I wanna say. We advertised that one a bit more on smashboards, because we were able to say that 20ish people were guaranteed... and we actually got a car from iowa (bout 4 hour drive). We wouldn't be getting OoS travel if we didn't have the pot-fills attending our events (for those of you on the coast... midwest is spread out, and we travel far for just about anything lol).

Instead of doing free entry for first time entrants though, phil and I run a separate amateur bracket. Mostly because between mjg, delux and I... there's no chance any of the newer people have to succeed. We use the results from the events to keep a point tally on everyone, and once someone reaches an arbitrary skill cap they'll enter the 'pro' bracket (none of the new people are really there yet). The incentive for decent people coming (ie the peeps on smashboards who would most likely be in the pro bracket) is that $1-$2 of the $5 entry in amateur bracket is put into the pro pot (we haven't got a set amount yet... we've based it on entrants since my rule of thumb is that 3rd should at LEAST get their entry back if anything). The top 3 players of amateur bracket get free entry into the pro bracket.
Then we a run pro-am doubles bracket. We do this to essentially force 'even' teaming and to make entering doubles worthwhile for everyone. Ideally, the better players are entering to win money... and the most effective way of doing that is to teach the amateur player you're teaming with how to play... more or less. So at this point, where we're starting to get out of state players to come... we're providing the new people a great opportunity to learn faster.

In terms of building a scene of decent players so you yourself can improve... my approach to that is to try and help out the new players as best you can. Don't spoon feed them, because they'll begin to brick wall quickly - it's a lot harder to adapt when using a strategy or built fundamentals that you didn't come up with. Encourage the things they do well and suggest things they could do better / how to practice getting better at it. If they really want to learn, you'll see the improvement - if you don't see any improvement... just accept the fact that they are potfills and be courteous to them. If you do, make sure to give them special attention. For reference, MJG and Delux were below average when I first met them (though I can't take a whole lot of credit for them being good... I like to think I helped quite a bit). Once they can play near your level they're capable of teaching you things. tl;dr iron sharpens iron.

//2 adderall

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
So during the last smashfest before a certain Bowser left Austin, I came to realize just HOW easy it is to break his Klaw grab with Fsmash and Dsmash.

It's just silly, especially because they tend to waste jumps getting in for it and Fsmash is already way too good against him.

williamwsharp

Smash Cadet
Dnyce

here we do every X amounts a months a "Noobs tourney" where top players are not allowed to play, we just observe the noobs and help them in MUs and overall gameplay, today were having this last years Noob tourney and in only 1 month of advertising the tournament via Face book we have encountered with more than 15 new faces in our community, i suggest you try an event similar to this or an event giving the new faces or noobs better options and chances, make them love the game and the competitive area.

:D

Exdeath

Smash Master
On another note, it kind of feels like I'm atrophying as a player. Can't go to tournaments until January or February, Austin's best player doesn't go to fests (and when he does, he doesn't use Yoshi), and most of the other players don't pose much of an actual challenge. It's so frustrating. :<
It sounds like your problem is that you've forgotten how to learn. You have to keep in mind that you can always make something from the resources that you have.

steep

Smash Lord
Ok guys, this may be the wrong place to ask this, but I am a Mario/Luigi/Olimar main and I have been having a lot of trouble dealing with Falco. Of my three characters, I've only really used Mario against Falco so far. How is that MU for Olimar? What are some things I should know about that MU? Would you suggest using Olimar, or would I be better off using either Mario/Luigi?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's considered Olimar's worst match-up ATM. Dunno how it is for Mario/Luigi.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Curious, has anyone tried an Oli/Falco team?
If so, is it any good at all or it it just team "we get gimped"?
Last time Larry and I teamed we won, it's a pretty good team but Larry and I also have really good chemistry because we both know each other's playstyles really well

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Dnyce knows some super secret falco tricks, I think.

Luigi isn't that bad against falco, as Luigi's recovery is super good, and he can't be chain grabbed as long as most.

If you know fino's tricks, falco is much easier. If only I remembered...

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Sometimes, I like to go for a SH Up-B for the kill. If you do not use this often, the opponent will most likely not reckon it.

Dr. Fate

Smash Rookie
Sometimes, I like to go for a SH Up-B for the kill. If you do not use this often, the opponent will most likely not reckon it.
thanks. the thing is, im really new to brawl, and I really like olimar. but the mechanics of brawl are still a bit confusing, even simple things as controlling exactly which way the up is going to go. do i tilt the up b a little to control it, or do i have to always reverse it?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
thanks. the thing is, im really new to brawl, and I really like olimar. but the mechanics of brawl are still a bit confusing, even simple things as controlling exactly which way the up is going to go. do i tilt the up b a little to control it, or do i have to always reverse it?
I'm a bit confused about what you're asking.

- When you just UpB, it will go out in the direction you're facing. You don't HAVE to reverse it.

- When you UpB and press in the opposite direction in the first four frames of the move, it will "B-Reverse" the move (which basically just reverses the direction you're facing/your momentum).

- If you want to latch on a semi-permeable ledge (like when you're on the main flying platform on Halberd) when you're under the stage, you have to face in the direction you would to latch onto it if you weren't under the platform.
For example, if you're under the aforementioned Halberd platform and you want to latch in the left ledge, you have to face right when you UpB.

Do any of those answer what you're asking about?
If not, please try to clarify what you're asking and I'll try again. ^^;

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
All right, let's keep this somewhat on-topic. ^^;

Dnyce

Smash Master
Rummaging through the old 2008 gimmicks/discoveries... discovered that we can almost double our DACUS distance by pivot boosting.

6 days w/o sleep... post better later. fml

Turazrok

Smash Master
Rummaging through the old 2008 gimmicks/discoveries... discovered that we can almost double our DACUS distance by pivot boosting.

6 days w/o sleep... post better later. fml
Wow nice job fino.

Probably can do cool stuff with dacus now :O

Dr. Fate

Smash Rookie
Cool

I was really not famillar with the reverse thing in brawl, but yes, you have answered my question. Thanks. but I have a few more questions, if you dont mind giving your opinion to.

1. Is there a easy way to know if you have the ghost pikmin glitch before you get punished? and also, is there an easy way to get rid of the problem quickly?

2. Explain some tactics in farming pikmin effectively.

3. Is there any lag after the whistle?

4. what are yellow and red pikmin's stronget throws?

5. is pummeling with white pikmin stronger than others? and what throw should I use with white pikmin for the most knockback?

thanks.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
I was really not famillar with the reverse thing in brawl, but yes, you have answered my question. Thanks. but I have a few more questions, if you dont mind giving your opinion to.

1. Is there a easy way to know if you have the ghost pikmin glitch before you get punished? and also, is there an easy way to get rid of the problem quickly?

5. is pummeling with white pikmin stronger than others? and what throw should I use with white pikmin for the most knockback?

thanks.
I can answer #4 and #5 for you.

4: With yellow and red pikmin, you should never be going for a throw kill. Their relatively low dthrow knockback means you should always go for a dthrow combo. They only kill at ridiculously high percentages, like 200+ (unless it's snake :p).

5: White pikmin do 4% damage per pummel (fresh), versus the 2% of all other colors. Once again, with whites, their throws only kill at 200+. They have the lowest knockback in throws out of all the colors, so go for a dthrow to fair/uair, and you'll kill MUCH lower than you would with any of white's throws (unless your next pikmin is white lol).

TL;DR just go for dthrow to fair/uair kills at the point where you might kill with those colors' throws.

If you do have to kill with their throw for some odd reason, your best bet is a fthrow/bthrow if close to the ledge or uthrow if you're in the middle of the stage or on a platform.

Dnyce

Smash Master

thanks.
1 - try throwing pikmin at the opponent. get rid of problem by dieing.
2 - try throwing pikmin at the opponent.
3 - ambiguous question.
4 - who cares?
5 - #4

Latch

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, it is important to know what throw to kill with. Example: nietono (oli) vs shu (snake) video where nietono takes shu's first stock with a yellow uthrow at around 3:15 (link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVGLx2lMFOE). All of his other yellow throws wouldn't have killed, and shu could have easily gotten the stock lead if he had survived, due to nietono's percent.

Sync.

Smash Champion
When you grab with yellows, reds and whites just throw the enemy away from you. I up throw or down throw with yellows because fthrow and bthrow have no hit stun.

Pummel when you can. But remember, pummeling is DEFINITELY not as important as the grab

Latch

Smash Apprentice
With oli, is there an easy to remember rule, like +1 pummel for each 25% damage?

Also, if i'm going for a blue bthrow kill, I NEVER pummel beforehand, because it gives the opponent even MORE time to DI correctly. Uthrow kills I do pummel on because it takes so long for our fatties to jump and land that the opponent is gonna DI if they know how. Gotta love refreshing the Uthrow right before using it.

Dnyce

Smash Master
With oli, is there an easy to remember rule, like +1 pummel for each 25% damage?

Also, if i'm going for a blue bthrow kill, I NEVER pummel beforehand, because it gives the opponent even MORE time to DI correctly. Uthrow kills I do pummel on because it takes so long for our fatties to jump and land that the opponent is gonna DI if they know how. Gotta love refreshing the Uthrow right before using it.
There isn't really a rule. I would say 1 pummel after 70, 2 after 120... lol. Pretty much what sync said though - I like just throwing my opponent away for the most part. Blue uthrow is probably the most reliable/earliest kill throw imo.... but I always stale my f/bthrow because getting the opponent offstage is easy/free damage (so I'm a bit bias there :p ). I usually assume my opponent knows which way to DI by the time I can input throws, because by the time we grab and have the pikmin go out / retrieve the opponent and we're able to throw... they should already be holding the correct direction. ^^;

Top Bottom