• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thirty Days of Life - Competitive Discussion Thread

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
THIRTY DAYS OF LIFE
________________​

Competitive Discussion Thread

Purpose: To promote informal competitive discussion.

It can be a bit difficult to discuss certain things when subjects intersect.
For example, stage discussion often runs into match-up discussion, but it has to end there because it's "off-topic".
In this topic, it doesn't have to. You can talk about whatever you want, as long as it's brawl-related.
  • If you want to go on a rant about a specific match-up, stage, tactic, etc. go right ahead.
  • If you want to discuss a specific player's tactics (Olimar or other), go nuts.
  • Want to propose a theory about a general game mechanic? Perfectly fine.

These are just a few examples of discussion topics. You aren't limited to these specific topics.

Rules:
  • If you want to talk about the quality of a song or randomly spam, please bring it to the other social thread. This thread is for COMPETITIVE discussion. ^_^;
    Discussion here will be a bit more informal than a regular competitive discussion thread, but we have the regular social for non-competitive discussion.

Don't worry too much about whether you're violating this if it's somewhat on-topic. A verbal reminder will be given if it's getting too far from the thread's intended function.

• Obviously all global rules still apply.

[collapse=Informational Topics]Coming soon.[/collapse]

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
First post reserved for possible future use.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Second post reserved for possible future use.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Control of the OP and two subsequent posts will be given to Capt. Olimar after I stop being too lazy to log in as him and do what needs to be done. ^^;

I'm starting to think that G&W is closer to even than previously indicated. It feels like it's quite difficult to get down if he can get you in the air.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Description does it justice, Clover. Glad to see the thread up.

Since I'm sort of getting back into the game, I wanted to talk about some things :)

When the MK ban was announced, a lot of character boards started talking about how their character was going to rise through the tier list. Well, other than the obvious "one of our characters is now banned", I'm interested in what other avenues this opens up for us. Or rather, what one. Stages. My favorite topic. There are now stages that become much more viable without the fear of getting counterpicked by MK on. Some that come to mind are Frigate (which can be a good counterpick for us in few, few matchups, though some Olimars like the stage for some reasons), Delfino (a strong stage in general, though some Olimars don't like the matchup against MK on the stage. This stage becomes a much, much stronger pick with him gone). And while Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise may not be strong picks for us in general, we don't have to be worried about them getting picked by someone with a pocket mk anymore.

I dunno, just a thought.

That said, what do others think about the Unity Ruleset regarding stages for us? There's no picto anymore, which is a stage many of us like as an option (I know I do, haha). And while CS and PS1 are starters, Delfino and Halberd not being starters is kind of a bummer.

What do others like for their starter out of these seven? I'm usually interested in what others like like to pick for their starters/counterpicks most of the time, so lemme hear it!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Still have to worry about pocket CPs.
With MK, we know what to ban if we're aware of the fact that they have a pocket MK, but they still have other CPs even if we do. It was easier to guess where they're going to CP because MK was such a common secondary, but we still had to eat the poison if they did.
Sorry, confusing myself. Yeah, it'll probably be a bit easier. Frigate just seemed SO BAD for us against MK compared to other characters.

TBH, I'm not particularly fond of CS, SV,or YI. I could see how Castle Siege is good for us, but I just have such a hard time keeping stage control on the first phase.
I usually gravitate toward Lylat, PS1 (people always strike it, though :<), FD, or BF if I don't really know the MU.

Kind of random, but Picto being banned certainly makes Sonic a little easier. I always hated the idea of fighting him there compared to YI because it combined the good elements from YI (invincibility spindash) and FD (lots of room to run).

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I had been working on the Diddy MU over the weekend and I think I've made -some- progress in fighting the annoying little monkey.

Things I've Learned:
-SH Latch is not that useful against Diddy as he can just banana your landing and beat you up.

-Runaway Pivot Latching is FAR more useful because you can make moves and still combat bananas.

-Monkey Flip is gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

-White Pikmin are the bane of my existence in this match-up.

-I camp harder with Olimar than I do with Ice Climbers.

I think I'm losing my touch with the Sonic/Snake MU, so I might start going Oli against him too. I've only been playing Olimar for a week and he's kinda coming along faster than most characters I've played.

Asa

Smash Hero
I like castle seige for starter, but more often than not ppl won't let us go there. XD

So i usually try to go for lylat or sv

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah Oreo, if you're pikmin tossing against Diddy, it usually should be grounded. And only throw one or two at a time. Don't commit to much. But throwing pikmin grounded, you'll still have access to your other tools at keeping him out, which are extremely important. And you don't want to be in the air too much.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
subscribing. here to learn more than to give pointers.

Asa

Smash Hero
does olimar have any ways of combatting a planking pikachu? fsmash doesn't really work :glare:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
After playing against calic's planking *** all the ****ing time... no. The best option is to try to grab the ledge during it and make him get back on the stage. Other than that, no, we can't hit him when he's planking.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
After playing against calic's planking *** all the ****ing time... no. The best option is to try to grab the ledge during it and make him get back on the stage. Other than that, no, we can't hit him when he's planking.
That ***** stays trying to play gay. I just get the lead and laugh at him as he makes half baked approaches.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Assuming they do it the same way as the 1.0 version, I really don't understand what information a bunch of meaningless numbers could possibly provide.
Regardless of what we decide that the match-up is in terms of numbers, we need to know WHY people think these numbers are what they are.

I'm sure it'll spark discussion in here anyway, but it's a bit irritating to be fed filtered data.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
What stage do you guys find people ban against you the most, and what do you find people counterpicking the most?

Also, I'm starting to think Brinstar is a really good stage for us, people really do forget how good our uair is there and the things on the side extend the hitbox like crazy, so it's out forever. People really do some dumb approaches there as well.

One more question, who do you have trouble keeping stage control against?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i should start CPing people to brinstar. just realized how AWESOME THAT STage is. oops caps .

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
i should start CPing people to brinstar. just realized how AWESOME THAT STage is. oops caps .
What do you do when you get pressured to the edge of the stage? That's the only problem I see with that stage, but I do agree, it is very good for us.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
never actually played there in tourney, afaik. you can jump through the bottom though, yes?

i would think ledge drop into jump->uair through the bottom.
just like uair planking on most stages to get rid of guys on the side, except you go all the way through the stage?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Sorry, BSL's talk of Uairing through Brinstar made me think of some gimmicks and such that I've been seeing/thinking about lately.
Might be nice for discussion.

Listing:
- Ledgedrop -> Jump-> Whistle -> Nair ledge tactic. First saw it with IcyLight, but he got it from a japanese player who used it onstage. Most commonly applied nowadays as a method for Olimars to get grounded.

- dabuz's Usmash -> Dsmash thing (I wanted a video to accompany this, but youtube is being *****y)

- Ledgedrop -> Jump -> Fair -> DI back at the apex of the jump -> land on edge -> Fsmash. You can also just barely tap the ground at the ledge while going off to renew your second jump and go back in with a Bair or whistle bounce back and retether the ledge.

Deeper discussion:
- We never really use ledge plucking in places we could naturally do so, like on Delfino (when dropping from small cliffs like the ones found on the shine gate and the transformations with the shallow water), Halberd (transition between the flying platform and the main one), Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, and PS1.
When we stop a run at the edge, we can cancel the skid and just fall off with a B move, so why not choose when you go off with a pluck?

- Dunno if other Olimars do this, but I like to whistle bounce back immediately when going off a ledge. Really helps with getting under semi-permeables like the flying platform on Halberd quickly (when it transitions, for example) or Brinstar. Pikmin don't always follow, so it's difficult to scrooge like this, but it is good for a surprise Uair without having to jump out to half-tarzan.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I know, it's so nifty. ^_^

I got a whistle-bounce ledge drop -> ledgepluck -> double jump Fair on the little lip at the edge of the bubbles on Brinstar once. It looked SO fancy.
Shame it was against a CPU. XD

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I thought everyone whistle - nair'd from the ledge, if not I have no idea where I got it from.

Jane

Smash Hero
i definitely farm any chance i get.

so, may seem like a simple question but, wat do after falco chaingrabs you to the edge? smash DI in? anything else?

and regarding stages, i ALWAYS ban frigate. there isnt any other stage where i'm as uncomfortable as that stage. i used to hate brinstar but the more i get taken there the more i like it. now its kinda funny when people CP me to rainbow or brinstar thinking i'm gonna be uncomfortable there.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There's a metagame minute on how to DI Falco's spike. I'm sorry if that's the wrong one, but I can't check it out because I'm on dial-up. ^^;
You can also meteor cancel with jump or UpB.

Asa

Smash Hero
why on earth would you choose to ban frigate >_>

it's not that bad

practice on the stage would make you more comfortable on it..

Top Bottom