• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is a simple way to keep MK from being banned.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Don't play him.

Seriously. Don't rely on him once to win any match in the next few months. Convince other MK players to do the same thing.

This espcially is true of players like M2K and Azen.

Prove that other characters can win.

On the flipside, if you want him banned...then play him :).

Discuss.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Unreasonable. People shouldn't have to worry about external factors such as whether their character will be banned when they choose which character to use for a game. If Meta Knight is somebody's best bet for winning a game then they should be able to play him regardless of whether he is the only character who they might be able to win with (since money is more important than proving anything about the character).

When it comes to proving anything to do with bans, the burden of proof is always on the people who want to ban something.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
what if people stop playing MK and then people stop winning? the tournament must go on! All of it comes to a stand still, when there's no MK, people are like WTF? and stall the time to sudden death, then thats how results come

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
The problem is that the alternatives to MK within the top tier play so significantly different from Metaknight. MK feels the most like a SSBM character out of all of them. I don't know if many people can stand using Snake, who bomb camps all game, or relying on D3's grab game for everything or Falco's spam and CG's. G&W is kind of like a Melee character, but even then, no other character compares to MK in this respect.

Some people are just addicted to his playstyle I think :\.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Unreasonable. People shouldn't have to worry about external factors such as whether their character will be banned when they choose which character to use for a game. If Meta Knight is somebody's best bet for winning a game then they should be able to play him regardless of whether he is the only character who they might be able to win with (since money is more important than proving anything about the character).

When it comes to proving anything to do with bans, the burden of proof is always on the people who want to ban something.
Except there is pleanty of proof already and a ton of supporters for the ban.

So, I give people who want to play MK in the future my advice.

Take it or leave it.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hylian, I am doing this already :D

I stopped playing MK with all of the ban talks. And then when I was like, I am not playing him, NM was ******** and banned him :///////

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Surely, by forcing yourself to not use Meta Knight, you are effectivly banning him yourself?

Let's say everyone suddenly agrees with this. Then no one uses Meta Knight. This then proves that other characters can win when Meta Knight isn't around. This has the same result as banning him because no one is using him

Are you trying to persuade people to stop using Meta Knight and use another character in matches so you can prove that other characters do well vs Meta Knight or that other characters can win tourneys? Or are you trying to stop people using Meta Knight everytime they find themselves in a pickle vs another player?

I apologise if I've mis understood what you're trying to say here but if everyone 'doesn't play him' then this is the same effect as banning a character...right?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
ummm the only reason azen used MK is cuz i told him to, he used 6 characters to get as far as he did at hobo, im ****ing m2k and i main mk, it's not like i don't have massive melee experience already, as well as a great tourney record with all DDD at tourneys over the course of like 10 tourneys (which I do) I just find MK much more fun to play, cuz he IS much more fun to play. I'd rather slash people around in the air than camp for grabs and bairs.

NJ, NY, PA, and I'm pretty sure FL too, these regions are either never banning MK, or not banning him for a long time.

Do not forget that the tourney host makes the rules and no one else, and most people do not want him banned.

Don't let people tell you what to do. You can if you want, but no one is forcing you to.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
ummm the only reason azen used MK is cuz i told him to, he used 6 characters to get as far as he did at hobo, im ****ing m2k and i main mk, it's not like i don't have massive melee experience already, as well as a great tourney record with all DDD at tourneys over the course of like 10 tourneys (which I do) I just find MK much more fun to play, cuz he IS much more fun to play. I'd rather slash people around in the air than camp for grabs and bairs.

NJ, NY, PA, and I'm pretty sure FL too, these regions are either never banning MK, or not banning him for a long time.

Do not forget that the tourney host makes the rules and no one else, and most people do not want him banned.

Don't let people tell you what to do. You can if you want, but no one is forcing you to.
I understand that you main MK. I also understand you can win tournaments without MK.

I'm just saying you going around winning everything with MK isn't helping your case at all. If you won every tournament with DDD and other MK's couldn't stand up to you then you would have a much better case.

Also, don't bother saying about past tournaments you have won with DDD and how you used to beat all the MK's with DDD. We know. No one cares about that right now. You can have a much stronger argument for MK not being banned if you make MK stop winning.

I understand how much you want to improve Jason and how much work you have put into MK and that you enjoy him more then DDD. Currently though MK's ARE taking the top places at the majority of tournaments, and you are leading the pack. I'm not telling you not to play MK, I'm just suggesting that you don't use him in tournaments for a few months, as it would help people see other characters are capable of winning against MK.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And who is supposed to quit MK first?
Me.

I just did.

I have put a LOT of time into MK recently. I played MK dittos with M2K for about 3 hours straight, nothing but MK vs MK.

So against MK players, I will not rely on MK to beat them :).

Leh

Smash Ace
In Florida, MK doesnt win ****.
Same for Georgia i here.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I understand that you main MK. I also understand you can win tournaments without MK.

I'm just saying you going around winning everything with MK isn't helping your case at all. If you won every tournament with DDD and other MK's couldn't stand up to you then you would have a much better case.

Also, don't bother saying about past tournaments you have won with DDD and how you used to beat all the MK's with DDD. We know. No one cares about that right now. You can have a much stronger argument for MK not being banned if you make MK stop winning.

I understand how much you want to improve Jason and how much work you have put into MK and that you enjoy him more then DDD. Currently though MK's ARE taking the top places at the majority of tournaments, and you are leading the pack. I'm not telling you not to play MK, I'm just suggesting that you don't use him in tournaments for a few months, as it would help people see other characters are capable of winning against MK.
I think you make a great point. M2K, we know your DDD *****, and you do claim DDD goes even with MK last time I checked (correct me if you've changed your opinion), so how's this: why don't you go **** MKs for a while using DDD, at least to show to people that you don't need MK to beat MK?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I've stopped caring if he gets banned at this point. If he does then I'll just pick up the pieces and move on to another character I can enjoy. I play Metaknight because he's fun, not because he's the logical best and I will continue to play him whenever and wherever he is legal.

See you at Hobo 12, where he will be banned. I love this game and I'll keep playing even if they do ban my favorite character in tournaments.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This idea, although a little farfetched, I believe could actually work.

As a user of Meta Knight, along with about four other characters, I really do believe he isn't in another league despite him being the best character. It would only make sense, in a fair world, that the community would have to prove that Meta Knight is worth banning before he would leave the scene. However, this isn't the case, and if we as Meta Knight players really do want him to stick around, I think the responsibility falls on us to prove otherwise, since no one else is going to do it.

Hylian makes a very good point M2K. You obviously have fun with Meta Knight, as do I. That's the reason I play him, and I can understand your reasoning too. But you are the best Meta Knight out there, and as of lately, you're the big authority figure running around telling people Meta Knight is not ban worthy material... People can't help but look at you funny. They have little reason to take you seriously with you "leading the pack" as Hylian put it, and if you really wish to contribute to the counter argument, I think using other characters besides Meta Knight may be the best competitive answer. At least then people may listen to you.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Hylian I'm still slightly confused...are you trying to get people to stop playing MK for all their matches? And instead, have them only use him for a few matches/final matches?

It seems as though you're trying to advise to...manipulate (sorry I couldn't think of a better word) the system of banning so that whilst Meta Knight is , for arguements sake (I'm not saying he is), the best character only viable to win in any situation, if people use other characters for the majority of their matches, Meta can't be banned because he technically isn't being overused and isn't dominating the tourney scene

You're trying to get people to stop using MK for all their matches and only for the ones that are important...is that it in a nutshell? (Sorry if I've misunderstood)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Don't play him.

Seriously. Don't rely on him once to win any match in the next few months. Convince other MK players to do the same thing.

This espcially is true of players like M2K and Azen.

Prove that other characters can win.

On the flipside, if you want him banned...then play him :).

Discuss.
lol, this won't work.

No Meta Knights will just prove that other characters can win without him in tournaments, which is obvious.

It's either ban, or no ban, no inbetween.

I encourage all MKs to stay MK. He's getting banned either way, so just enjoy the tournament time you have with him now.

Nic64

Smash Lord
or we could all go back to playing melee, which was like 100 times better than this crap anyway

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Hylian has the right idea, but MK users don't need to stop playing as him entirely. I think they just need to make sure they're at least as good as their MK with one or two other characters, and use them frequently in tourneys. This way people will know guys don't play as him just to get easy wins, in a sense, but because he's fun which is why I think most people play as him anyway.:)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz

wow, dude, I know you're good and all, but man..:S

anyway about this: like mentioned before, all this will prove is that other characters can win without mk around..wich proves nothing

and if this idea stops meta knight from beeing banned..well..
well the people who then don't ban him are st0opid :p

M15t3R E

Smash Master
How many MK users do you expect to comply, Hylian? It's a lost cause. People that use MK love using MK too much and many of them wouldn't even feel tournament-worthy anymore if they stopped using him. It's just not going to happen.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
So in order to get him banned, i just have to play with him right?

I will start practicing with meta right now XD

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Basicly, Hylian, you're trying to soft-ban him. lol

MK is my favorite character. I knew I was going to use him before the game even came out. In fact, he's one of the primary reasons I decided to get into Smash. I have 300 hours of play time ON MK ALONE! And this is not including the tourneys/fests I've been to. I put a lot of work and time into developing my MK into something good. I do, however, support his ban. But, as long as he's legal, I'm going to continue using him.

With all do respect, this is the second time I've seen a SBR member try to ease around this whole MK situation. There's no different angle, no clever solution, no trickity-trick that's going to handle this MK situation. Either the character is broken and needs to be ban, or he doesn't. It's that simple. Make up your minds.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that the alternatives to MK within the top tier play so significantly different from Metaknight. MK feels the most like a SSBM character out of all of them. I don't know if many people can stand using Snake, who bomb camps all game, or relying on D3's grab game for everything or Falco's spam and CG's. G&W is kind of like a Melee character, but even then, no other character compares to MK in this respect.

Some people are just addicted to his playstyle I think :\.
Yeah yeah no1 uses MK because he is strong, but always because they just like his playstyle or are a fan of him.

I bet that if MK would get nerfed to lowtier in SSB4 and Pit would get buffed and becomes the new MK everyone will suddenly like Pits playstyle, or be a huge Kid Icarus fan since the day that that game came out.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Basicly, Hylian, you're trying to soft-ban him. lol

MK is my favorite character. I knew I was going to use him before the game even came out. In fact, he's one of the primary reasons I decided to get into Smash. I have 300 hours of play time ON MK ALONE! And this is not including the tourneys/fests I've been to. I put a lot of work and time into developing my MK into something good. I do, however, support his ban. But, as long as he's legal, I'm going to continue using him.

With all do respect, this is the second time I've seen a SBR member try to ease around this whole MK situation. There's no different angle, no clever solution, no trickity-trick that's going to handle this MK situation. Either the character is broken and needs to be ban, or he doesn't. It's that simple. Make up your minds.
QFT

10trutheries

Clouderz

Smash Ace
banning a character in a game because he's too good is the most pathetic piece of information I've heard in the past 24 hours

Top Bottom