• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Zodiac Braves a NJ/NY Crew *OMG what is that? it's a tree*

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I dunno. Eazy is legit, but Bleachigo knows how to fight Marth. I mean, come on, he's in my crew, lmao. I might take you up on that bet after I train him a bit more Inui.

WHICH REMINDS ME!!! I'M SUPPOSED TO **** YOUR WARIO!!! lmao

j/k. Old beef is old. It's also rotten and smells. I'm throwing it out.

EDIT: Also, lmao, Luck says the funniest things regarding Marth.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Please go watch Akira. It's essentially the movie that got Japanese culture popular in the States and Europe.
Really? I thought pokemon and all the pokemon themed commercials beamed into children's heads brought japanese culture into the states. Also Akira is like ff vii its good but it's overrated.

Side Note: got blazblue yesterday.....that game is sex in fighting game form

Edit: oh snap my new sig is working

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
Really? I thought pokemon and all the pokemon themed commercials beamed into children's heads brought japanese culture into the states. Also Akira is like ff vii its good but it's overrated.

Side Note: got blazblue yesterday.....that game is sex in fighting game form

Edit: oh snap my new sig is working

Hot sig yo

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Japan has been an exporter of culture for quite a long time, Pokemon and Akira are relatively recent

Japanese toys like Transformers and Voltron were first popular in the 80's, as well as their respective cartoons.

Super Mario Bros. had been the best-selling game of all time up until about 6 months ago. Also, the sprites from Pac-Man (early 80's) and Space Invaders (late 70's) are very widely and instantly recognizable.

Speed Racer was popular in 60's (or maybe it was the 70's). Kurosawa's films have won widespread recognition and awards from the west as early as 1951. Also from the 50's or so is Godzilla.

Japanese woodblock prints and lithographs were a huge hit when they were introduced to the west. Van Gogh, Whistler, Monet, and many other western artists were heavily influenced by the likes of Hokusai, Utamaro, and Hiroshige. The craze was commonly referred to as "Japonism" or "Japonisme," taking place in the 1800's.

I wouldn't know of any earlier examples than that, but my guess is that mass printing is probably as far back in time as we can legitimately go...

...Finally, if you thought the Akira movie was overrated, try reading the manga, i thought it was a lot more interesting

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Japan has been an exporter of culture for quite a long time, Pokemon and Akira are relatively recent

Japanese toys like Transformers and Voltron were first popular in the 80's, as well as their respective cartoons.

Super Mario Bros. had been the best-selling game of all time up until about 6 months ago. Also, the sprites from Pac-Man (early 80's) and Space Invaders (late 70's) are very widely and instantly recognizable.

Speed Racer was popular in 60's (or maybe it was the 70's). Kurosawa's films have won widespread recognition and awards from the west as early as 1951. Also from the 50's or so is Godzilla.

Japanese woodblock prints and lithographs were a huge hit when they were introduced to the west. Van Gogh, Whistler, Monet, and many other western artists were heavily influenced by the likes of Hokusai, Utamaro, and Hiroshige. The craze was commonly referred to as "Japonism" or "Japonisme," taking place in the 1800's.

I wouldn't know of any earlier examples than that, but my guess is that mass printing is probably as far back in time as we can legitimately go...

...Finally, if you thought the Akira movie was overrated, try reading the manga, i thought it was a lot more interesting
Akira mainstreamed it, however. Anime, manga, and the rest of Japanophilia is around today because of Akira.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Aren't those all examples of widespread mainstreaming?

And, anyway, wouldn't more people know about super mario bros. or wii sports (both 40+ million sales) than Akira or whatever the most popular anime or manga is now; that japanese video games are more mainstream than anime or manga? (We are talking about the west of course, and not within japan or asia). Or am i behind on the times with respect to that?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Aren't those all examples of widespread mainstreaming?

And, anyway, wouldn't more people know about super mario bros. or wii sports (both 40+ million sales) than Akira or whatever the most popular anime or manga is now; that japanese video games are more mainstream than anime or manga? (We are talking about the west of course, and not within japan or asia). Or am i behind on the times with respect to that?
You're discussing things that are entirely separate from what I am talking about.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
You're discussing things that are entirely separate from what I am talking about.
My bad, I thought we were all talking about 'culture' in very broad terms. I was responding specifically to these two statements:

It's essentially the movie that got Japanese culture popular in the States and Europe.
Really? I thought pokemon and all the pokemon themed commercials beamed into children's heads brought japanese culture into the states.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
BrawlBlue is like meh-meh for me.

It is fun, but it is easier to pick up than GG. Only thing I'm a little glad about it is wake-up options are a lot more defensive than GG.

Hey Yes I promised you :)
I BEAT YES IN A $1 MM, YES HE HANDED ME MONEY!!! PEWPEW '09

Then he ***** me in a Falcon ditto MM ($1)

Edit:

Today was fun, I feel like a got a tiny bit better in doubles. I'm also starting to think that Marth/MK is the only doubles partner I can function with. (Minty!!)

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
BrawlBlue is like meh-meh for me.

It is fun, but it is easier to pick up than GG. Only thing I'm a little glad about it is wake-up options are a lot more defensive than GG.

Hey Yes I promised you :)
I BEAT YES IN A $1 MM, YES HE HANDED ME MONEY!!! PEWPEW '09

Then he ***** me in a Falcon ditto MM ($1)

Edit:

Today was fun, I feel like a got a tiny bit better in doubles. I'm also starting to think that Marth/MK is the only doubles partner I can function with. (Minty!!)
Good Job Bleachigo... im so bored here all useless and stuff for smash grrrrrrrrr

Top Bottom