• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yoshi Labs

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Goddamn your avatar, Slice. Tryin' to have srs bsns Yoshi convos and all I can see is "That f*ckin' Gnar".

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I was able to execute the egg slide pretty easily actually.

Oh and I am loving how broken Yoshi is. Not for tournaments or anything, but for making my friends go WTF.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Oh I gotcha
Idk if I was or not. DEFINITELY wasn't attempting a DAC dash grab. I'd never have any reason to. I would assume on context that I was going for a dash attack, or mayyybe a mix up of running through him and pivot grabbing. If it was just a dash grab I would've input it sooner
Hmmm, from what I can tell; When you cancel your Dash Attack into your pivot grab, for some reason the game doesn't halt, but it holds your momentum from the Dash Attack you input prior. From there, much like the Instant Eggmission (lol) you can hold that momentum, as long as you keep buffering any of your special movest besides Down B. Of course, if you buffer the Egg Toss at any point during this, is when you get the slide.

It seems like you may have been going for a DA cancelled pivot grab and it got stuffed from Shulk's Dtilt; but it looks like it didn't cancel the input for your Dash Attack. Then, when you buffered Egg Lay out of your hitstun on your landing, the Egg Toss was still able to carry the momentum from the buffered DACPG prior to the hitstun. Very nice find, sirrr

This is also what I mean by holding the momentum from Dash Attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTDQ85YthkM&list=UUwgzhMpIxg3oVcScE-wyixQ

At about 00:40 - 00:45, I kept buffering the egg lay to hold it. Managed to turn it around too in the process.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I did not know what DAC pivot grab was at the time of this match, but Im also a competent player, so my inputs are intentional lol. So it's very unlikely that I also accidentally input a DACPV, but it is definitely possible.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
I did not know what DAC pivot grab was at the time of this match, but Im also a competent player, so my inputs are intentional lol. So it's very unlikely that I also accidentally input a DACPV, but it is definitely possible.
I figured out what happen actually, i can upload a video of it if neccesary, since this is still a relative conversation you been having for a while TM_icecream, its now likely proven if the Dash Attack of Yoshi gets cancelled in any shape or form, yoshi will receive the momentum on his UpB, since his UpB has some weird qualities, heres my two cents

Cancelling Dash Attack with pivot grab in perfect timing = the next UpB ( unless delayed ) thats used gets the forward momentum

Cancelling Dash Attack with an enemy attack = UpB ( unless delayed ) gets a backward momentum due to enemy knockback

how i figured this out is by allowing a CPU Dr. Mario hit me with one of his spammy pills to stop my Dash attack before it even comes out, once i got hit, i did an UpB and you can just guess what happen, i got shot backwards, i can only assume the knockback of enemy attacks is whats inverting my forward momentum of the dash attack, in your case, Shulk hit you before your DA could even come out and since you didnt do any other inputs except for Egg lay, it buffered your momentum until you used UpB, giving you the end result,

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Actually now that you mentioned it, I did a backwards version of that egg slide glitch onto the ledge the other day and I couldn't figure it out since it wasn't B reversing, so that might have something to do with it.
Welcome to the Yoshi boards btw! :3

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
Good to see you back here Dyz.
Thank you Scatz, i been wanting to make this account for a while now....but well i lost my way since AIB or Brawl wasnt in my daily life anymore, and by the time i noticed Project M, the Wifi service went down...so umm yeah, but good to be here though where i can once again provide my Yoshi help in anyway that i can

Actually now that you mentioned it, I did a backwards version of that egg slide glitch onto the ledge the other day and I couldn't figure it out since it wasn't B reversing, so that might have something to do with it.
Welcome to the Yoshi boards btw! :3
Thanks friend, i feel happy to be here, i will be posting often and uploading videos, with the Dino ( hopefully ) i can take on some of the greats around these forums and expand my match up experience, or just try to solve some doubts like this one, hehe glad i could help you Nikes

Is that the legend himself Virus Dyz69???????????????
why yes Actually, i ended up realizing the number in my name actually made me more iconic, hehe google searching "Dyz" or on youtube has lead me to be a bit more obscure, and i really get curious if anyone has uploaded videos of me fighting them, but with so many people using "Dyz" i can barely find any D:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Wait, Dyz69?...I know the name from somewhere...
Were you on Deviantart by any chance?

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
Wait, Dyz69?...I know the name from somewhere...
Were you on Deviantart by any chance?
short answer: Yes

long answer:
Prime example of my previous post actually heheh XD the number makes me iconic, but yes im one and the same, Dyz69 the yoshi artist....who apparently i got some sweet assistance by the dudes in Eventhubs using one of my drawings for Yoshis Teleport egg toss, which makes me want to know how to model Brawl so i can have a yoshi Akuma, heheh

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I figured out what happen actually, i can upload a video of it if neccesary, since this is still a relative conversation you been having for a while TM_icecream, its now likely proven if the Dash Attack of Yoshi gets cancelled in any shape or form, yoshi will receive the momentum on his UpB, since his UpB has some weird qualities, heres my two cents

Cancelling Dash Attack with pivot grab in perfect timing = the next UpB ( unless delayed ) thats used gets the forward momentum

Cancelling Dash Attack with an enemy attack = UpB ( unless delayed ) gets a backward momentum due to enemy knockback

how i figured this out is by allowing a CPU Dr. Mario hit me with one of his spammy pills to stop my Dash attack before it even comes out, once i got hit, i did an UpB and you can just guess what happen, i got shot backwards, i can only assume the knockback of enemy attacks is whats inverting my forward momentum of the dash attack, in your case, Shulk hit you before your DA could even come out and since you didnt do any other inputs except for Egg lay, it buffered your momentum until you used UpB, giving you the end result,
That's actaully really huge. Good work! The mystery has been solved.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Like that's seriously a good defensive option if you think to use it.

DA trades or gets cancelled or whatever happens, your sliding backwards a good distance, AND putting a projectile hitbox where you were just standing.

YellowRello

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YellowRello
3DS FC
4141-4335-8308
Speaking of old yoshi's! haha my old tag was rel12... glad you guys are grinding again!

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Rel is really good if yall were wondering^

YO CAN THIS CHARACTER DACUS? Theoretically, DACUS>egg toss slide could be a thing, AND I bet that would combo at low%

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I wonder if its possible to combine the teleportation with the egg slide.

Since I found teleportation to be actually really good, in my personal experience. I kept doing it from afar against some guy, and he got hit by a couple but shielded after a while. he caught on and went to my ledge, so I jumped, landed behind him while using the eggs, and teleported back to the ledge, hitting him with another egg from behind. Then I used teleportation 2 to get back to the stage, and it was right in his face, causing another egg to hit him, followed by an ftilt.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
That's actaully really huge. Good work! The mystery has been solved.

Like that's seriously a good defensive option if you think to use it.
DA trades or gets cancelled or whatever happens, your sliding backwards a good distance, AND putting a projectile hitbox where you were just standing.
im glad i could help, im good at noticing Yoshis animations, having memorized them to be able to figure out some few things, and also because as a Yoshi player, our new Dash attack is really safe, since when used properly even if they block, we will just dash trough them, that and....its my habbit to dash attack very often lol im predictable in that department so i just guessed you were like me and attempted to dash attack out of the corner to get behind Shulk, but he ended up hitting you, and the rest is history

being aware of this will be very interesting for me....time to get some highlight video reels up in here heheh

Speaking of old yoshi's! haha my old tag was rel12... glad you guys are grinding again!
Rel! whats up dude long time no see, i have been doing very well just getting back into the smash scene and all...well online smash only i guess, since i cant travel to any tournaments or anything D: my passport expired! also is there like a friend request here? i wanna add the old crew again hehe

Scatz

Smash Champion
I see everyone is having fun. Take it over to the general social thread for continuation.

Now then. I saw a video earlier and I believe that the egg lay release animation we had in Brawl is back. Though it's much more odd offstage now...

Shiri

Smash Chump
The release is back, indeed! The smaller characters and smaller screen make this much harder to reproduce, though. Brawl's was actually not too hard to get with enough practice. I'm not sure how practical it is here overall considering the risk of missing an Egg Lay seems a bit higher than in Brawl, but getting the release grants a free jab plus whatever you can get from it (usually down tilt).

Speaking of releases, it looks like the phenomenon of grab releasing an opponent right in front of you while they struggle still exists. I've been getting a few KOs off of this, but it's obviously something that either needs more investigation or strictly relies on your opponent for timing.

Something I can't yet back up (WiiU version can't get here soon enough for video testing and proofs of concept) is that Yoshi still has an "armored" neutral air, carried over from Brawl. I say "armored" not because of my usual rant on the double jump, but because even though the move behaves as if it's armored (either during a very small window or inconsistently based on some set of circumstances or both), I suspect that this is the result of the move just behaving incorrectly. I have experienced this more often in the 3DS game than in Brawl, though. I don't know if the "armor" has limits or if it, indeed, might be weight gain or resistance (similar to Melee double jump or Smash 4 Bowser idle stance), but I have gotten it to happen very frequently during the same period as in Brawl (initial set of active frames on Yoshi's neutral air--I would guess it's a two or three frame window, but that might be generous).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The Egglay thing was found a week or so back, though not quite sure who uploaded it. I think Nikes icecream or one of the newer Yoshi's.

Edit: also apparently, if what the recent patch is correct. The armored Nair Shiri is talking about might've been removed cause the two things in the patch notes for Yoshi was not fixing the teleport glitch but removing "armor" from his aerials.
Just to bring up since rereading his post minutes after I did I just realized the connection now from the Patch.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There are no changes to any character files in 1.0.3. It is not a balance patch.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Smash 4 isn't League of legends where they have links to patch notes. They're Nintendo, but will say I was in the /v/ thread when it was first posted I guess then it migrated to FB in D1 fb post and then into the Smashboards thread.

>Yoshi no longer has armor on his aerials
>Wario's weird vectoring is still present
>Mega Buster (FSmash) now travels farther (Almost half the stage)
>"The Conquest Chart will no longer be displayed when Conquest Mode is active."
>ZSS Apparently nerfed, DSpecial and UpSpecial don't KO at 90%
>Ness' DAir Meteors are easier to hit
>Falcon DThrow easier to connect, knee also easier to connect
>Possible upgrade in internet servers
>Yoshi Ledge glitch unfixed
>Ganon DTilt has a different trajectory. (From straight up to up and away)
>They fixed ALL of Meta Knights hitbox problems
>Sheik has little to no landing lag on her FAir
>Shulk's FAir got a range increase, shorter landing lag
>Robin's Arcfire lasts longer (probably a frame or two, never used her much)
>DK's smashes come out faster (small amount)
>Marth's ranges are slightly longer

I'd take this with a grain of salt though. As I said in previous post, If.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
None of these character changes are true. Dant did a file dump and confirmed the character files are the same.

It's all placebo effect. Mega Man f-smash was always that long range, and so forth.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
k
As I said before If

I don't trust anything /v/ says anyways after the past 8 years unless they provide a source, which they didn't. And confused why pros/Smashboards even brought it up in the first place.

Last edited:

Shiri

Smash Chump
Well anyway

More grab shenanigans, but less important. The deal with grabs trading with active hitboxes is REAL, hahaha. Tried to dash grab Jigglypuff during Sing. This is a terrible idea, apparently. Just gotta wait it out.

Trying to find reliable setups for back air (2) to net me some cheap KOs. If we had some way to slide off the stage without needing slopes, this would be so killer.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Lol ok someone got it on camera. I never remember to save the replay.

And I don't actually have a reliable setup for bair, but im pretty sure it beats a lot of ledge jump options. And its pretty good out of egglay. That's what i've been doing with it.

Last edited:

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Lol ok someone got it on camera. I never remember to save the replay.

And I don't actually have a reliable setup for bair, but im pretty sure it beats a lot of ledge jump options. And its pretty good out of egglay. That's what i've been doing with it.
Full-Hop falling Dair sets up into bair/uair/Egg Lay around 60% when the last kick sends them upward. (I say Full hop because it auto-cancels from this height). For the Bair follow-up however, you HAVE to be facing the opposite direction of your opponent when you Dair. Both when you approach and when the last kick connects.

Desh

Smash Ace
Question about the teleport from the ledge. How do I control the height of the ledge hop? I can do the teleport consistently, however the peak height at which I jump is constantly varying. Sometimes giving me so much height that I can up b 2-3 times before hitting the stage, and sometimes(more preferably) The jump is much smaller, leaving me with room for just one up b before touching the ground.

also @ S Shiri , i've been using the egg toss slide to whip myself off the edge and position for bair. I've been getting a lot of stage spikes like that.

also also, hi yoshi boards. I'm a really old doc player, was sort of saddened by doc in this iteration, found out yoshi was super fun, and i've been back on the boards lurking these new yoshi boards for a while :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom