• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yoshi Labs

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Definitely need to step my Yoshi game up. Could use some advice from others brains. What kind of setups do you guys find work pretty well with Yoshi? Here's are few of my favorite (some gimmicky):

1.) Dash back Egg Toss. If they shield this, reverse jump towards them and do a wavebounce Egg Lay. Yoshidora does this quite often and it's the perfect mix-up for people who dash to shield as an approach.
2.) At low %'s (0-10ish), double jab to dash grab almost feels like a true combo if they don't do some random special.
3.) When your opponent grabs the ledge wait right outside of Yoshi's d-tilt range. If they're in the habit of jumping from ledge, Yoshi's Ground Pound sweetspots right as the invincibility wears off. Also, if they do a normal stand up you either nail them or do really good shield damage. It's not the safest, but it covers a lot of options. Just be careful not to Ground Pound off stage.

Those are just a few. Any Yoshi lab tricks you guys been using with great success outside of the normal?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Still haven't played against anyone worthwhile. ;_;

I don't know the case in this game, but characters more familiar with Yoshi will dodge the Jab > Dash Grab setup unless it's actually a true combo in this one.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Jab > dash grab usually works at fresh stock, but it's not a true combo. Once your opponent wises up to it, it's harder to pull off.

1)I find egg lay is perfect to set up kills. I usually follow with a charged Usmash > Down B in quick succession for damage. Otherwise I try to time Usmash/Down B as they leave the egg to get the KO.
2) Dtilt is awesome for setting up ledge spike kills. Much more reliable than in brawl.
3) Sometimes I like to go deep when they're off stage and try to gimp with Nair/kill with Fair.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
so does dash attack cancel pivot grab egg toss buffer slide still work for the wii u version ,

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Grab comes out pretty fast outa egg lay, so with proper spacing u can get 1 or the other, I'd also try timing dairs above the egg for when they broke out

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Run off the stage instantly reverse egg lay into 2jump reverse egg toss, his reverse egg lay is so good. Yea I'd do whiffed reverse egg lay into grab , or dash dance cancel into grab. Other then that I switch it up from egg toss sliding to shorty hop egg toss , use egg roll to either close the gap or disengage,

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Yoshi grab games and egg lay games are great. Perfect pivoting helps with a lot of things, I also noticed his boosted reverse grab is nice

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I would recommend editing your posts instead of quadruple posting. Just a friendly hint.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I think it's after being hit by an electric attack!

edit: this might be important. Can't read Japanese though. :<

【仮定/発生条件】
・ヒットストップの長い技(電撃属性?)を食らった直後にNB発動
・吹っ飛び後の行動可能になるタイミングで入力?
・空中でNBを始動

edit 2: he posted this:
【発生条件】
・ヒットストップの長い技(電撃属性など)を食らった直後にNB発動
・吹っ飛び後の行動可能になるタイミングで入力
・空中でNBを始動

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
And so the mystery is solved.

Edit: The way this works is you need to get hit by an electric attack and hit Neutral B while in the air.
You can still be on the ground, but as long as the move puts you into the air and you use neutral B airborne you'll get it.
You have prolly less than 1 second (as long as the electricity is around your body) to get the egglay to not put them in an egg.

Some characters go behind or in front of us
Captain Falcon (fair) Megaman (USmash) Olimar (anything with Yellow pikmin) Pikachu (thunderjolts, UpB, Fair, Fsmash) end up behind us.
ZSS (Usmash nair) Ness (Up B) Falco (lasers) in front of us.

Haven't tried: Robin Samus
Not bothering with Zelda Ganon Dark pit and GaW, too much knockback.

As long as we know which direction the characters go with electric attacks, we can do almost anything to them. Usmash Fsmash Ftilt Utilt prolly our more better options.

Should also mention a good portion of these only work at low % for obvious reasons.

Tried something different, ZSS Usmash low % and if she hypothetically jumps and does nothing we can get the egglay off and when she comes out she goes in a / \ direction in the air (depending on direction you're facing so say right, egglay and she goes \) we get a free nair/Dair on her and everyone else too.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
That is a wavebounce EggLay. I don't keep this thread up to date because the techs can be placed in a normal guide such as Nikes.

Omni

BRoomer
^ I can already do the above, but I don't understand how to do it grounded.

Scatz

Smash Champion
You input the same motions as you would if it was an aerial egglay.

Say Yoshi is already in his dash animaton to the left like the video:

Flick Analog Stick Right > B > Flick Analog Stick Left = Wavebounce Egglay

Idk the exact margin of error, but it's fairly tight (like less than 10 frames I believe). Yonezmi is getting it out during the dash animation since you can only cancel the dash with Shield, Dash ATK, B moves, and jump.

Omni

BRoomer
Yeah, but when you input the first analog flick it forces you to do a pivot.

Yikarur

Smash Master
na the only way to do this with the controlstick alone is to ..
While Running:
Next Frame: Tilt Super Slightly Back + B
Next 3 Frames: Controlstick Forward

I've never got it down even once because of the difficulty.

The only way to do this consistently (I have a 95% success rate now) is Tilt Sticking + Shoulder Button set to special (or awkward claw).
Tilt Sticking is the weakest possible tilting without being neutral so inputting Tilt Sticking + Special simultanously(!) does a NeutralB in the given direction.

So you
Dash and hold Right -> C-Stick Left + Special -> Turnarround NeutralB -> Game reads the controlstick on the next frame again -> Wavebounce

Beware that you cannot do Neutral Specials in the initial dash so you end up egg rolling if you try it to early.

Of course this makes wavebouncing in the air way more efficient as well.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
After this tournament today Imma go in hard and need to set Cstick to tilts to get 3 things down.
Wavebounced egglays, perfect pivots down (or at least enough where a 20-40% success rate over like 5-15%), and keep me from using the Cstick to fish for kills or free damage I could just get with tilts.

If anybody actually cares enuff and has been watching my matches here or there, there's instances where I lose a stock I shouldn't solely cause I go in spamming Usmash.

Omni

BRoomer
I have an extremely strong Egg Lay game. I think that's what's going to grow Yoshi in the long run.

Where are you finding those Vines? Definitely not my guy. Also, is that a jab to perfect pivot up-tilt in the first video?

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'm not exactly positive since Yoshi was sliding a little after the UTilt. Most likely though since getting the pivot slide takes more time than that. He prolly has his Cstick set to attack(?) To get it out that quick.

There's a handful of videos from this guy on Egglay movement and shenanigans. Kapichu is his vine. Following the Japanese yoshis on twatter too good. :)

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Since I've still got my C-stick set to smashes I hadn't experimented with jab cancelling like this yet, looks way faster than using A for it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I noticed how Zero and M2K had cstick set to attack during apex.
When I thought about it more tho, it did seem like a better option this time around for Smash 4. Everyone should prolly eventually switch over, especially if you have bad habits using smashes a lot on shields.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
I should've used Tilt Sticking back in Brawl already. It's so much better. (except for the SDI Mechanics in Brawl though)

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Welp. I dont play yoshi. Nor do i want to XD but i found this for all you yoshi players!

Yes. Yoshi has a true combo jab reset. Which most likely can go into a kill combo!}
Not To mention his egg guarantee trump combo that goes into Upair/Fair/Bair/Nair. Discuss below if you need anyhelp. Subscribe if you enjoyed the video; More tutorials coming soon. I made a few other Smash related videos so check them out ^^. Peace!

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Ahh Oki. ;-; keep the normal thread aswell as its something silly (jabexploid)

Edoted to not make it so Hectic : ;-; The direct link sux. Sends them to the 1st page. Make it so that it sends them to the Video or the page (this one) or something. Would be appreciated

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Your post and video are still here, right above my previous post. A redirect link is left where your original thread used to be, which will take people here. Any other questions/comments about the merge, please PM me, since this isn't the place for it.

Thanks for the video though!

Top Bottom