• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data 'The Wise Ganon' (ATS/Frame Data/Guides & Competitive Discussion)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Yeah, now with the deduced nair lag, it'll always be wiser to wiff that after an onstage stage Dark Dive.

I'm sure you've probably heard about the cstick glitch with the Gamecube controller. You're stuck in one place if you try dairing with cstick and moving forward with the cpad. The turn around to this is that you'll have to dair with cstick after you move forward with cpad - but, obviously, this will make the attack slower. This would've hindered Ganon a lot if he had autocancelled dairs.

I think that this is the same case with all aerials as well. The glitch happens because Smash attacks automatically charge when you hold cstick.

What I did is, I switched my control from Smash Attack to Attack for the cstick. Because of this, I cannot Smash Attack with the cstick now, but this does make the glitch above go away.

As for your question though, yes. Ganon does sutterstep. Both in reverse and forward.

I tested in Smashville (unlockable) with the opponent on the top platform. For a normal fsmash it takes 19 times to travel all the way to the end. If you stutterstep forward by clicking the normal cstick input and cpad the same direction, it takes 14.5 times to travel to the end of Smashville. Ganon can also reverse stutterstep, pressing cstick forward while facing the opposite direction, this makes him move backwards a bit and then forward - roughly 20-21 fsmashes like this to travel Smashville.
I actually don't think the C-stick glitch is a problem. You just need to quickly flick the C-stick while carrying your momentum to keep moving. And the stutter step is so useful I think you should keep the C-stick on Smashes. Also, I find that the dsmash is a lot more useful with the C-stick and if you can make sure it hits, it racks up a ton of damage.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Actually, not being able to initiate an input from the ground using the cstick right away kills a huge purpose of the cstick. Especially for characters like Ganon. Using the method you mentioned, try abusing SH uair multiple times moving back and forth, then compare that to SH uairs with cstick set to attack. You'll notice a huge difference in the buffering of the command, and the comfort.

I do agree with your stutterstep comment though. I'm figuring out a way I can input that using other controls while keeping my cstick set to attack.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Actually, not being able to initiate an input from the ground using the cstick right away kills a huge purpose of the cstick. Especially for characters like Ganon. Using the method you mentioned, try abusing SH uair multiple times moving back and forth, then compare that to SH uairs with cstick set to attack. You'll notice a huge difference in the buffering of the command, and the comfort.

I do agree with your stutterstep comment though. I'm figuring out a way I can input that using other controls while keeping my cstick set to attack.
The only real issue I've had with Smash stick aerials is sometimes accidentally getting a JC USmash when I input the Uair before I leave the ground, which can also be an issue when performing a Uair with the A button. None of the other aerials are ever really an issue. Tilt stick not only works around this, but also lets you perform Nairs while moving freely, which matters more now that Ganon's has been buffed. (The downside is that you get stuck in U-tilt if you wind up hitting the stick before you jump) I generally find that Smash stick tends to be easier to perform with, but Tilt stick probably lets you do more overall given enough practice.
Another thing I've noticed is that iDA is really good for Ganon, as D-throw -> iDA is a true combo at low %s and sets up well for another hit, and that's not counting its utility for following up Flame Choke and the like.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
When you do a Ganon Kick off the ledge, sometimes you'll be able to perform a nair right out of it instead of doing a flip before you can act again. If you go to FD, do one Ganon Kick, then you will stand at the spot where you'll be able to perform a nair right out of Ganon Kick which can connect with a lot of characters on low percentages (not sure if it's a combo or not). I'll try to figure out exactly where the spot is some time

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
When you do a Ganon Kick off the ledge, sometimes you'll be able to perform a nair right out of it instead of doing a flip before you can act again. If you go to FD, do one Ganon Kick, then you will stand at the spot where you'll be able to perform a nair right out of Ganon Kick which can connect with a lot of characters on low percentages (not sure if it's a combo or not). I'll try to figure out exactly where the spot is some time
I think you're talking about ledge cancelled wizkick.

lurker88

Smash Rookie
thanks for making this thread, where can I get definition from some acronyms i don't understand?

lurker88

Smash Rookie
I was analyzing Ganondorf Dair..(Im mexican) so i can have a lot of mistakes writing xdWell i was analyzing Dair and..i think it's possible to cancel his Dair and chain to another one, simply a short hop and the second jump at the same time(second jump it's so small so i think with the short hop and the second jump together its a little more than a normal jump, and the Dair it's a bit longer) like snake neutral air to have no landing lag...imagine it..i think probably im right :3
this is was easier to perform in brawl, is possible do it with a full jump in ssb4, but it wont hit most characters. Maybe if they are jumping or big.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zG9aA8Nnds&t=3m12s

Okay so, I think most people agree Wizard's Assault is terrible in 1v1s. Does less damage than regular, and has longer startup. Though unless I'm mistaken, like Drop Kick, its momentum is not affected by hitting enemies, allowing consistent ledge cancels. Is it a meteor on the entire move? And if so, can you easily recover after using it? If Wizard's assault is a meteor on the entire move, that would have obvious uses for edgeguarding in certain matchups.

Someone I think more importantly mentioned that the move appears to be designed for teams, which I would agree with, both due to consistent ledge cancels and the property of the move sending people backwards, which gives Ganondorf more setup potential for his teammates that may be behind him.

I think the point I'm getting at is, the move does have uses. It's very situational, but there's a purpose for it.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Gerudo > Dark Fists (Olimar only(?))

You thought Gerudo > Dsmash was nasty on Olimar? Wait til you try Dark Fists.
If Olimar is at around 50%, a Gerudo > Dark Fists kills him! He's done!
This changes the MU a lot.

You could do a Gerudo > Dtilt ... Gerudo > Dsmash (he's now at 50%+), and the next time you Gerudo him - KO!

I don't think it works on anyone else than Olimar, though.
It might work on ROB in downhill slopes, since Dsmash works on ROB in these situations.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
And if so, can you easily recover after using it?
You can't recover at all after using it as an edgeguard, unless you start your edgeguard from a platform near the ledge, which makes it unpractical.

Last edited:

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
It's been really fun getting used to Dair. I'm to the point now where I can hit it successfully from the moment they roll onto the stage from the edge. It's so badass. Also guys, I can't remember where I saw this, but when another player was hanging off of the edge, this Ganon player managed to grab the edge himself, quickly get off and Bair while the player was behind him. I've tried it countless times and haven't got it right. Anyone know how to do this?

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
It's been really fun getting used to Dair. I'm to the point now where I can hit it successfully from the moment they roll onto the stage from the edge. It's so badass. Also guys, I can't remember where I saw this, but when another player was hanging off of the edge, this Ganon player managed to grab the edge himself, quickly get off and Bair while the player was behind him. I've tried it countless times and haven't got it right. Anyone know how to do this?
Assuming that they attempt to get up immediately , you have to grab the ledge RIGHT after they do so that they are forced off before they can get up, then you can ledgehop Bair them guaranteed. Hardest part is ledgedropping at the right time, especially if they use recovery mixups.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
So, been for glory-ing for a couple of hours and I've noticed that I'm slightly clueless on what to do I there are no choke follow-ups on a char, short of chain-choking like the good ol' days.

What are our best options in these circumstances? Y'know, apart from guessing their responses?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So, been for glory-ing for a couple of hours and I've noticed that I'm slightly clueless on what to do I there are no choke follow-ups on a char, short of chain-choking like the good ol' days.

What are our best options in these circumstances? Y'know, apart from guessing their responses?
Turnaround F-smash is never a bad gamble if you have any reason to believe that they might not be afraid to roll inwards. Keeping in mind you can remind them that a semi-charged F-smash can kill people at like 60%.

Spaced aerials are also good, because from what I can tell, it is possible to reactively cover getup attack and away roll when going for that.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Apart from guessing?

Well against those characters, you can just stand there and try to react to what they do:
If they GUA, Shield > Grab/Dtilt/Ftilt, or even Dair OoS or re-Gerudo.
If they rise up, simply grabbing them is a fast and beneficial option.
If they roll through you, Dash Grab is nice.
If they roll away, then it gets more complicated. Try your best to use the Frame Advantage in the best possible way. Ganon is dangerous when he has Frame Advantage and can often make ppl stressed out. Capitalize on this.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Assuming that they attempt to get up immediately , you have to grab the ledge RIGHT after they do so that they are forced off before they can get up, then you can ledgehop Bair them guaranteed. Hardest part is ledgedropping at the right time, especially if they use recovery mixups.
It's not a true combo, as the opponent can always input a roll, jump or attack right away. But the mere fact that it's there, and limits there options is beneficial. You should still manage to get some against even good players, and when it hits, it's devastatingly powerful. Use it in ways to scare your opponent into forcing them to get up onto the ledge, just so you can whiff them away with a FTilt.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Apart from guessing?

Well against those characters, you can just stand there and try to react to what they do:
If they GUA, Shield > Grab/Dtilt/Ftilt, or even Dair OoS or re-Gerudo.
If they rise up, simply grabbing them is a fast and beneficial option.
If they roll through you, Dash Grab is nice.
If they roll away, then it gets more complicated. Try your best to use the Frame Advantage in the best possible way. Ganon is dangerous when he has Frame Advantage and can often make ppl stressed out. Capitalize on this.
Some techs are punishable. All standard tech is punishable by jab and sometimes ftilt and grab. There are even techs where the opponent will roll behind you which are punishable, but this depends on the character. Robin can be punished by a ftilt if he/she tries rolling behind you with a tech.

Edit: Woops, don't know how I managed to double post. My apologies.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Some techs are punishable. All standard tech is punishable by jab and sometimes ftilt and grab. There are even techs where the opponent will roll behind you which are punishable, but this depends on the character. Robin can be punished by a ftilt if he/she tries rolling behind you with a tech.

Edit: Woops, don't know how I managed to double post. My apologies.
On pure reaction, I'm not able to punish ppl with Jab if they neutral tech, atm.
I think it takes some more time getting used to. At least for me.

But yeah, if I predict a NTech, jab/grab/F & Dtilt are nice.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
What do you guys think of fastfall Nair offstage as a gimp? Been using it lately with some success.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Only times I've done that is accidentally buffering out of a wizkick cancel instead of uair lol.

It covers a bunch of area though so I do see it as a viable option for more flexible-recovery characters.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
What do you guys think of fastfall Nair offstage as a gimp? Been using it lately with some success.
It does the job, but I prefer uair or reverse tipman uair. They both do the job just as efficiently, if not better.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
I have discovered that Flame Choke -> Aerial Wizard's Foot is a kill combo if the opponent techs the hit in place or uses getup attack. However, I think you need to hop forward a bit so that you get the non-spike hitbox.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
So, the rage effect with us at 152% let's us kill weegee with usmash at 88%.

Not sure on its normal kill percentage, but this has to be good, right?

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
So, the rage effect with us at 152% let's us kill weegee with usmash at 88%.

Not sure on its normal kill percentage, but this has to be good, right?
Always good. 88 isn't a difficult percent to get to, though I imagine F smash killing far earlier.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay so, random question.

I know @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm has stated that he believes all three SideB variants are viable. My question is, when are good situations to use Flame Wave? With Flame Wave, you lose some offensive utility of Flame Choke because of the reduced range, and the move in my view strictly becomes almost strictly a retreating punish. Now, it gets more consistent reward than Flame Choke, which is great, and it can even kill by itself.

Now you can correct me if I misunderstood you, but I'm not sure if there's specific matchups where the more consistent defensive reward of Flame Wave is valuable. I don't think this move is as good if Ganon needs to approach, especially past projectiles or against extremely speedy characters.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Okay so, random question.

I know @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm has stated that he believes all three SideB variants are viable. My question is, when are good situations to use Flame Wave? With Flame Wave, you lose some offensive utility of Flame Choke because of the reduced range, and the move in my view strictly becomes almost strictly a retreating punish. Now, it gets more consistent reward than Flame Choke, which is great, and it can even kill by itself.

Now you can correct me if I misunderstood you, but I'm not sure if there's specific matchups where the more consistent defensive reward of Flame Wave is valuable. I don't think this move is as good if Ganon needs to approach, especially past projectiles or against extremely speedy characters.
Flame wave would be great if it had the choke's range, it's just so slow & Dorf barely goes when using it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I tried out frame advantages on tech/techrolls the other day very briefly. Initial testing showed that if they tech in place, they recover at the same time they would have been able to roll/stand/getup attack. This means that teching in place should leave them somewhere in the 8 to 12 frame disadvantage range. Basically if choke > X works when they don't tech, it still works if they tech in place. Choke > grab/jab works on everyone. However Olimar is different because his ground bounce is 4 frames laggier than everyone else's, so when he techs Dsmash and Dark Fist don't work.

Tech rolls are pretty safe due how far they roll away from you, but if you choke them at the edge Fsmash will tag them before they can shield. Punishing tech rolls is pretty much in hard read only territory, but you can always follow up on a choke with the right read.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
I tried out frame advantages on tech/techrolls the other day very briefly. Initial testing showed that if they tech in place, they recover at the same time they would have been able to roll/stand/getup attack. This means that teching in place should leave them somewhere in the 8 to 12 frame disadvantage range. Basically if choke > X works when they don't tech, it still works if they tech in place. Choke > grab/jab works on everyone. However Olimar is different because his ground bounce is 4 frames laggier than everyone else's, so when he techs Dsmash and Dark Fist don't work.

Tech rolls are pretty safe due how far they roll away from you. If you choke them at the edge Fsmash will tag them before they can shield. Punishing tech rolls is pretty much in hard read only territory, but you can always follow up on a choke with the right read.
Punishing tech rolls might be hard read territory, but Ganon is a hard read character. If you know they always roll behind you, charging an Fsmash in that direction can be an early kill. I usually jump straight up when I expect a tech, because it puts you out of getup attack range and sets up for a wizard foot/down-air punish (if they choose not to get up, down-air still hits for massive damage, but wizard foot won't kill if they're lying down). If I see them roll behind rather than risk getup attack, I'll go for a pivot Fsmash read. It's usually the correct read, too, just a matter of timing the release.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Gerudo Vs Little Mac is fun.
It gets him if he Ntechs. techs away, and sometimes when he techs towards you.
Meaning, his only chance to avoid a Dtilt is to tech towards you. It's easy to take advantage of.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Gerudo Vs Little Mac is fun.
It gets him if he Ntechs. techs away, and sometimes when he techs towards you.
Meaning, his only chance to avoid a Dtilt is to tech towards you. It's easy to take advantage of.
Wait, so you can just spam Gerudo into him and get him most of the time?

Too bad 99% of people on FG don't tech choke.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Wait, so you can just spam Gerudo into him and get him most of the time?

Too bad 99% of people on FG don't tech choke.
Yeah, the only way for him to avoid a Dtilt after Gerudo is to Tech towards you,, but even then it hits him on occasion.
Not sure why. Maybe it depends on his DI Before he Techs towards you.

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the only way for him to avoid a Dtilt after Gerudo is to Tech towards you,, but even then it hits him on occasion.
Not sure why. Maybe it depends on his DI Before he Techs towards you.
True. If Mac DI away first then tech towards it will still hit him. His tech roll is baaaaad. :p

Runaway Chico

Smash Rookie
Thanks for going into full detail. Gonna give him another go again. I just don't know how to fully deal with characters that use projectiles.

Top Bottom