• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
hes right, his smashes and punch have so much shield stun an push back that if they are spaced correctly, it can be hard to punish, how ever they are easy to punish if they are perfect shielded or misspaced.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
hes right, his smashes and punch have so much shield stun an push back that if they are spaced correctly, it can be hard to punish, how ever they are easy to punish if they are perfect shielded or misspaced.
Yeah, what this guy said. If it's spaced correctly, you shouldn't try to punish that, unless you perfect shield it. If they suck however, and can't space for ****, punish all day.

infomon

Smash Scientist
In that vid, I'm pretty sure he could've punished a ridiculous number of DK's smashes.
but yeah with good spacing, you gotta be reeeeeeal careful about the monkey :o

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
on paper its a disadvantage for sonic, but man, if sonic ever gets in on DK he racks up a lot of damage. it really doesn't feel that bad, even though he can kill a lot earlier than sonic. its wierd. its not like bowser where at least if you get in, he still has Fortress. he also has a horrible dodge animation. i dont have a problem fighting them in doubles or singles...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im being 100% dead serious, all you have to do is play really conservatively (my main playstyle) and punish everything he does. and sonic beats DK decisively. and Kai was the first one to make that declaration, and I agree.

I have a DK main that Ive been playing with on and off since the beginning of 09, hes pretty much at the same level as me, but I still beat him a good majority of the time.

theres also another dk main and an MK main that arent as good as me but Ive been training with. they are at about the same level. the MK goes about 50-50 with me these days, but the Dk main I can still stomp out relentlessly

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Im being 100% dead serious, all you have to do is play really conservatively (my main playstyle) and punish everything he does. and sonic beats DK decisively. and Kai was the first one to make that declaration, and I agree.

I have a DK main that Ive been playing with on and off since the beginning of 09, hes pretty much at the same level as me, but I still beat him a good majority of the time.

theres also another dk main and an MK main that arent as good as me but Ive been training with. they are at about the same level. the MK goes about 50-50 with me these days, but the Dk main I can still stomp out relentlessly

does this mysterious DK have a name?

if youre one of the best sonics why don't you test youre skills against one of the best DKs? like one of the one that places well? me, ook, will, cable, bum,rag, DON

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Of course hemad.

He got trolled.

I saw it coming when I saw KID mention he was one of the best Sonics.

Anyway, that MU seems to be pretty even. Don't get smashed, @#$% hurts. :X

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
I've played Will, DK Smash, and Don. All good DKs. Don beat me once in a set but I got him back. The rest I got regardless. You just need to play very safe. Sonic has all the tools to make that match up his. The only problem is killing dk which will come eventually since Sonic racks up damage so fast.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
does this mysterious DK have a name?

The Hulk a.k.a. Dr. Grandpa

if youre one of the best sonics why don't you test youre skills against one of the best DKs? like one of the one that places well? me, ook, will, cable, bum,rag, DON
im going to MM will at VC7 along with any other dk mains

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Yeah i agree with DK being in our favor. Playing M7H and watching X play M7H as well as playing bigfoot made that awfully apparent. DDD is close too, while he has that CG and bthrow, at the appropriate distance we can punish virtually anything he does. We also destroy his shield with ASC and fairs. Oh and once hes offstage we gimp hard with HA and bairs.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you guys are crazy if you think sonic has an advantage over DK. even if you think its even, youre crazy

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Dk's bair is better than ours right? so how do you intend to do that? I usually just focus on racking damage and baiting that god aweful airdodge of his.

Sonic can rack up damage, lots of damage on DK, but in terms of natural abilty, he has longer pokes, more powrful moves, and more staying power. he only get the slight advantage though. Sonic can punish a whole mess of stuff DK's like to do, and i do Agree with ASC pressure.

by the way, you sonic's are good at teching the cargo gimps right?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Needz moar DK players.

Seriously, this is like one of the few fun matchups in this game. DK is such a good target for ASC-om-nom-nom-nom.

But that food has to be eaten raw. So raw that he's still livin', and throwing out those arms, hoping he'll get you @ 80%. =(

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
wow. this will get out of hand will it...
i want no part of this...
but i would like to play ripple soon tho.
I'd love to play you...that is, if I ever would travel outside of 5 hours from springfield. I won't really travel past IN

btw, what's ASC? I don't know sonic lingo

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Aerial Spin Charge. It's when we jump and use DownB. It's special cause holding forward gives us extra hits. It comes in at an odd angle. Perfect for DK and ROB. We can drift during it to cause mispacing, shield cancel it on landing and basically psyche people out/bait.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you guys are crazy if you think sonic has an advantage over DK. even if you think its even, youre crazy
have you played any halfway decent sonic mains before?

I mean dispite the fact that hes relatively unknown, the dk player in my region is quite skilled, so I have some basis for what I say, but do you?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
have you played any halfway decent sonic mains before?

I mean dispite the fact that hes relatively unknown, the dk player in my region is quite skilled, so I have some basis for what I say, but do you?
I take it oreo is not a half-way decent sonic main?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
oreo is good, theres just a lot of sonics better than him.
does oreo fulfill the requirement of being half-way decent or not?

if not then no, I've had no "half-way decent" sonic players to play. shugo once but that was a long time ago

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I consider oreo to be a good sonic player. not trying to hate on him but others that may be a little arrogant/over confident are saying otherwise.

I got oreos back

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I'm an okay Sonic. I'm closing in on ITT. I played Ook in brackets earlier that day and I did surprisingly well against him. I say surprisingly because its ****in Ook. I think its a 60:40 in DKs favor because of his ability to outkill and outlive Sonic, also his downB and uptilts and ftilts stop spindashes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I consider oreo to be a good sonic player. not trying to hate on him but others that may be a little arrogant/over confident are saying otherwise.

I got oreos back
you dong have to be vague about it. Everyone knows Im an over confident d bag troll.

also, I never said oreo was bad. hes not. theres just a sizable list of people better than him.

I'm an okay Sonic. I'm closing in on ITT. I played Ook in brackets earlier that day and I did surprisingly well against him. I say surprisingly because its ****in Ook. I think its a 60:40 in DKs favor because of his ability to outkill and outlive Sonic, also his downB and uptilts and ftilts stop spindashes.
you cant kill what you cant hit. and dk really is one of those characters that cant really hit sonic. its rare, because sonic usually has to pull the bait and punish game, and most characters can hit him inbetween the weaving in and out of range. and i really feel like im fighting zelda in this matchup, where i just have to make the dk do something, and no matter what it is, i can punish it.

dk should very rarely be attempting down b. if he does it at the wrong time (which isnt hard, since because hes forced to do the hand slaps in twos) he eats 20-30 % from an ASC combo, which then puts him in the air, which is very bad for dk.

up and f tilting spindashes means that you are being dumb and predictable about them and/or committing too much to the same type of spindash.

if you can make him think that you are going to spindash, any thing that he can possibly use to defend himself from it, aside from... shield, can be punished obsurdedly easily

the only problem with this matchup is that its really easy to get into a groove of ****** the dks pants off, and then out of nowhere hell hit you with a bair to head butt to punch, and after you just put 120 damage on him, he just 30-deathed you in 3 hits.

you just have to make sure you are calculating your follow ups efficiently

wow... i didnt even know i knew this matchup this well

Top Bottom