• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That nonsense playstyle has been working out for me so far. :D

Now I just need to find other strategies that are just as effective, if not more than not at other times. :urg: Or rather be willing to play them out :urg: :urg:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
MK hits shuttle loop before you spring. It's unsafe. Play better people. I'm better than you by default because you're on the west coast. Dark Sonic is still lame. Steak is 09. Sonic sucks.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Futuristic chick is that new ****. PD is better. Playing better people is a phenomenal idea. Shuttle loop too good. DS is lame...even Nintendo's version. Sonic is bb. Thats beyond bad for those out of the loop.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm better than you by default because you're on the west coast. Dark Sonic is still lame.
*Deep breath*

Son, that's a big assumption. Even I have to admit, you saying all that stuff while just making a return? Granted, my tourney-results are not the most impressive, but do you have something I can look at to make some comparisons? Some data > No data at all. It also helps that my tourney results are a bit up-to-date too. *scratches chin* Such a shame that this will probably be the only way to know who really if better, until we both go to the same tournament or something like that.

You're just about right on everything else though.

Futuristic chick is that new ****. DS is lame...even Nintendo's version.
... :dizzy:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I never left. I just realized a long time ago that SWF is an awful resource for Sonic info. For the most part, it still is. Post before was just for a laugh. This post is sadly true.

Edit: Even though the other post was a joke, EC Sonic's being better than WC Sonic's has been a safe assumption dating back to March 08. Judging by the videos posted, I think it's still a safe assumption.

HARHARIMSUCHADICK*****RADICAL

DoubleEdit:FUTURISTIC CHICKEN WHERE IT'S AT.

Also, Sonic sucks.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... :(

And I was hoping we could get some regional rivalry going on or something, but once again you only speak truth. :/

Regardless; on a more serious note, I will have to disagree somewhat. Even if this place is a terrible resource for Sonic info, there's a difference from being a bad resource, and being THE BEST. Assuming you are right on that, where else (if anywhere) would you go to? Private? I suppose I can attest to that since I help Tails (even if a little bit). That kind of sucks though, there are only so many who are proficient, let alone actually willing to play Sonic a majority of the time, how would newly aspiring people who aren't as lucky as some get their information? Certainly not from the pessimists who discourage them from doing the opposite, that destroys the purpose...

I'm not really disagreeing, nor feeling in the mood to go on a debate, but I just don't know what else to say...

Other than I'ma blow this Taco Stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA-yILpGYro#t=00m35s

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I'm just messing around. ily <3 There is still good info to be found here. Example, Bio's hitbox video thread. There's just too much dumb garbage on here for me to post seriously on a consistent basis. Most things I learned about the game from others, was gotten in the xat, or talking to people 1 on 1. Which honestly, is the way I rather learn about things. It lets me avoid all of the fail threads that get peoples hopes up, because they didn't test stuff. Or posted stuff that sounds amazing, and then finding out that it just doesn't happen in competitive play.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
<3 Paul

lmao@futuristic chicken

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Brawl- Sonic is AMAZING.

Infinite grabs on pretty much everyone except like, four characters, and a dash attack cancelled pivot grab of the gods.

BSP

Smash Legend
They fixed it. -Sonic does look fun though, except his smashes still look pretty slow :/

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
-Sonic? His fsmash is viable.

@Wedge
I'll fight any Scourge main and send you back to prison. Just try it.
well, this whole confidence thing is just me being stupid, but i would like to play you.

lol DSonic. He's legit...*shot.

Futuristic chicken with hot sas. gogogo?

Jon K

Smash Rookie
This is definitely one of my favorite threads at SWF, and it's been going strong for over a year. win

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Even though Brawl- Sonic is fixed, I kinda want to upload the vid I made anyways. ;-;

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
ASC approaches. Mixups in approaches. Spacing. Good counter picking. These are things that were all missing from those matches. Also, your second match was labeled wrong. Don't take Olimar to Frigate. You only have a tiny advantage on one part of the stage, which is obviously when there's no ledge on the right side. That probably isn't even an advantage, since Sonic has nothing threatening to knock Olimar into that bad position. Olimar has the advantage in every other way on that stage. Especially with the really low blast zone on the ceiling. Just asking to be U-smashed. Which is exactly what happened. You can't play that far away against Olimar. It's just making things easier on him. I'm too lazy to type anything more.

Trent

Smash Champion
ASC approaches. Mixups in approaches. Spacing. Good counter picking. These are things that were all missing from those matches. Also, your second match was labeled wrong. Don't take Olimar to Frigate. You only have a tiny advantage on one part of the stage, which is obviously when there's no ledge on the right side. That probably isn't even an advantage, since Sonic has nothing threatening to knock Olimar into that bad position. Olimar has the advantage in every other way on that stage. Especially with the really low blast zone on the ceiling. Just asking to be U-smashed. Which is exactly what happened. You can't play that far away against Olimar. It's just making things easier on him. I'm too lazy to type anything more.
Thanks for the advise Phoenix. Funny thing is I usually DO ASCs against other people.. I really didn't feel it fighting Olimar for some reason, I guess I was scared too?

After the match was over Cook told me the counter pick was bad on my part so already figured that one out. I'll try and improve, thanks a bunch!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
They fixed it. -Sonic does look fun though, except his smashes still look pretty slow :/
Of course they had to fix it. I broke it. lol.

Speaking of which, I tried getting that video up, and kept getting errors. I'm gonna have to upload it some other time. When it does get uploaded, it'll be funny.

I'm keeping that old Brawl Minus Sonic .pac forever. That grab chain was too good. lol.

PS: Thread updated. New videos of Singles matches vs. Meta Knight, Olimar, and Wario have been added, with new doubles videos of me and Zori in teams (Olimar).

Btw, if possible, can someone critique my videos. I kinda know what I did wrong already, but I want to hear others' and their own views. The videos can be found among the newly added videos from this update.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Espy

Watching the vid vs DMG now, going to leave some comments.

During watching:

-Very good so far. Very patient is usually the way to go vs metaknight.

-At the Homing at 0:39 after it hits you go for an aerial spin charge to punish his get up, but you keep holding towards him and get hit by his get up attack. I wondered
why you wouldn't just start retreating as soon as you started charging the ASC.

-Haha nice forward Smash at 1:00 minute. Seems like DMG is pretty ballsy with tornado and you make him pay.

-Wow nice back air on the tornado at 1:13. At this point in the match, you've made him pay for tornado as opposed to getting sucked into it like 2-1.

-At 1:34 I imagine you were trying to hit the edge with that Up smash? Otherwise, I'm not to sure why you would hyphen smash there? Perhaps a miss press for dash attack / boost pivot grab?

-Wow really ballsy with the spring at 1:39 and he was definitely close enough to edge guard. If I was playing my friends there I would've been dead haha.

-Why did you forward air at 2:14? Would that have clanged tornado if you hit it right? It seems like the landing lag from the forward air prevented you from punishing that tornado as well. I mean, all it did was set up a neutral stance, but I'm wondering if there was strat behind the forward air?

-At 4:58 you hit him with a back air very close to the ground and then chase him with dash attack. It seems like you could've grabbed him instead and it would've been safer as I was expecting you to eat a downsmash after that.

-Haha awesome down air to spring at 5:05. I totally expected you to get punished.

-Seems like you were trying for the Fsmash kill a little early this game, and you took most of your damage that stock from fsmash attempts. But I mean you still beat a very capable meta knight so if it works I can't knock it haha.

A couple general things I saw from that game

- You play this matchup really well this game going back to neutral alot and then resetting things and trying to get damage with Spincharges or letting him approach and then punishing him.

-There were alot of times where you were both sitting slightly in range both shielding where you were just roll back and then dash to the other end of the stage. In some of those scenarios I myself might have down tilted especially when he was facing backwards. In some positions you can grabbed there but usually you can just poke his shield if he's holding it.

-Lots of springs->Dair immediately but I think I only saw you get punished once or twice so you do it at the right times it seems. Only once the whole game did i cringe when you did it, and I don't even think you got punished.

-Your recovery has gotten alot better since I first starting watching you. I mean you would always do that Dair off stage to spring, but now you mix it up even more and that homing directly to the edge was pretty sweet and you use Side-B/Down-B and DI in the air really well. (such as 3:28 with that slowed SideB to jump cancel to Down-B )

-Your ground game is still amazing. I didn't see one accidental foxtrot/turn around/whatever so thats still great.

-You definitely used Spindash defensively well. People seem to forget that Sonic can dash around the stage with all kinds of attacks and really just be stalling/waiting for the opponent to mess up.

Don't really have time to watch the other vids right now, but I'm sure I will at some point.

-4nace

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson &amp; Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
I finally got some new videos up at Gameworld's tournament back on the 10th of January.

Tails (Sonic) vs. TheHebrewHammer (Meta Knight) (1/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72hYj-xIMWg

Tails (Sonic) vs. TheHebrewHammer (Meta Knight) (2/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFHa3UhbaU

Tails (Sonic) vs. TheHebrewHammer (Meta Knight) (3/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ybF6KptwkU

I'm having a lot of trouble with Meta Knight and playing so many Meta Knights back on Sunday drove me insane. Please criticize my videos and what changes I need to do. Thanks.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Stop trying to attack your opponent all the time.

:)

Instead, sometimes attack the space around him; like Fair above him or Ftilt out of range.

At all times, think about the spacings where:
- your attack would hit him
- his attack would hit you
- your attack would hit him if he moves a certain way
- your attack would miss and he could punish the lag
- your attack would miss and you can punish his predictable attempt to punish your lag :)

just IMO

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Thanks infzy. I did learn that the hard way yesterday at the tournament and I'm still learning it the hard way. I'll be posting some more matches up and I bet when I watch them, I still keep attacking my opponent at all times. I guess I get desperate to get the match over with or when I'm behind in either stock or percentage wise. Miniboss pointed out that flaw yesterday when I lost to MetalFalcon when he played as DK in the first match. I need to learn how to be patient and wait at the right time to attack. I guess you can say I play way too aggressively and having too much of Sonic's spirit of being impatient which do cost me over time.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
I got some new replays from Gameworld Weekly Tournament yesterday. Not too happy with my performance. Results aren't posted yet, but i pretty much got dead last

Tails (Sonic) vs. Firebullet (Diddy) I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTJvpacauA

Tails (Sonic) vs. Firebullet (Diddy) II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9azCzswT4s

MetalFalcon (DK) vs. Tails (Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBmHtd61lQ

MetalFalcon (Zelda) vs. Tails (Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3w97AXJGnw

MetalFalcon (ROB) vs. Tails (Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEkOpjej13g

I made so many mistakes, but I don't know the exact mistakes I made. If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yeah I think he used it as a "gtfo" move, aside from killing. It's a good use for it but he doesn't spam it EVERY game. I should know since I've been teaming with him.
The people at Winterfest recorded, with a laptop, our matches with Tyrant and DSF but I can't seem to find them on youtube.... -_-

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
tyrant doesnt want vids of himself repeatedly getting punched in the face by a terrible character.

10 bucks says they deleted em.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hello all. I have a couple of mario match videos and I was hoping to get some input. (pat on the back, tear it up, whatever you want)
Watched the first match.
- Stop smashing so much. Especially Usmash and Dsmash, they're sooo laggy, and you were using them at silly times. Use tilts instead.
- Stop using Homing Attack. It's a bad move. Except the one time where you used it to punish his up-B, that was good.
- Space your aerials better; stop trying to hit him so much and hit around him, in the places you expect he's gonna go.

Also, camp him out. He was being suuuuuper campy, because he knew you were gonna approach, even though he was behind like the whole match. Make him come to you if he's gonna be like that.

Just my 2cents

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Thanks infzy. Yea I know that I <3 smashes, espcially f and dsmash. U smash on the other hand is usually a mistake. I will try to do SH Uair but i move the stick too fast or something.

Watch the others if you get the time, and thanks again!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hello all. I have a couple of mario match videos and I was hoping to get some input. (pat on the back, tear it up, whatever you want)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32IT8lgeB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdR9iRJj5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhNErYIKQ9w

The quality is not the best, but it is not terrible.
Not even three minutes into the first video, and already there are very noticable problems.

You spam smash attacks way too much. There are safer, and more efficient methods of getting damage. Try to use more Tilts/Jabs/Grabs into your game to replace that habit.

You roll too much. Add that your movement is very "sto-and-go" like, and it's just not that "artistic" to put it at the least. It will help if you can cut down on the rolling, andt he foxtrotting; though granted you may just be messing up Dash-Dance Pivots and those are very difficult, even I have trouble being consistent with them. For now, just get around using Sonic's normal speed, and screechstop if you must.

Stop using so mucjh Spring -> Dair. You lost your first stock because your opponent finally readt hat correctly. You may get away with it against some people, but very quickly things can turn ugly against others. Please also consider cutting down on Homing Attack... A LOT! That's why you lost your 2nd stock, and it makes me really sadface. :( You don't like me when I am sadface :(.

You ought to start pummeling more. If you're not familiar with that term, when you grab your opponent with Sonic, you knee them for 3%. Sonic's pummel DPS (Damage Per Second, MMORPG term) is top 5 in this game. It's a lot, and even if it doesn't seem like it, the damage lost adds up, and why give yourself a harder time, right? Im' not even going to cover other reasons why pummeling is so great, there's too many of them to go over in such a short amount of time.

Are you new to using Sonic? Seems like it. If you are, welcome aboard! I hope my advice helps.

Anyway, we're not done, we still have the 2nd and 3rd video, hehe. Let's just see if anything new comes up, I won't have you read the same thing again.

Nothing different from what I see. I should take this time to ask though, do you know what iSDR is? You're playing on YI, so this ought to help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbTdOoSz7Vc

Stop D-Throwing so much.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259275

3rd video... Hmm...

You should learn to edgehog. I don't know why I mentioned this sooner, but it helps a lot to know.

That's it I believe. Let me know.

They will most likely be uploaded to this channel...here is one of your team matches that I found while looking through my subs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSUlTUkbEmk
X and Commander Beef vs DSF and Tyrant
Thanks Malcolm.

Thanks Infzy. Also for critiquing Tails. I already spoke to him on AIM, but anymore criticism is appreciated.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
X and CBeef had some cool team videos. U guys work really well together. A small criticism is that X needs to stop going offstage to edgeguard and let his opponents recover while u guys do Dthrow ---> Fsmash or w/e team combos you could manage. I saw quite a few times where he went offstage (not to save u) to edgeguard MK and got punished when you both could have 2v1'd and scored a kill through dthrow setups or racked damage. Thats my only little criticism...no flames.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It's probably not the best idea to try and edgeguard an MK anytime though. lmao Not with Sonic at least, unless you wanna put yourself in a dangerous spot.

Top Bottom