• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Weapon Triangle: Unofficial Ike Matchup Number Topic

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
We aren't talking about random people picking up characters and owning us though its about people who know what the character does and can use him to his fullest. I think a high level olimar is better against Ike than a high level falco.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
how does that olimar main do in tourneys hero?

Remember skill matters.. I'm thinking Olimar being 30/70 though. it's not like anyone can pick up Olimar and **** Ike like Falco can so.. Yea.
It's not tested in tournaments yet (will be tomorrow), but he's been working on him for months.

Skill level aside, Olimar can definitely beat the jeebus out of Ike, but I think you guys exaggerate his strengths a bit.

Like I said, I think DDD is harder. <_<

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
what you think is harder/easier is only personal. I find Olimar easier than Falco. That's my personal opinion. You find DDD harder. Your opinion, does not affect numbers.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
A mario main finds DDD harder... You sure your not getting mind gamed just by seeing DDD and having some sort of war flash back?

I actually find olimar harder Falco not so much and don't fight DDD to often.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
lol no. I just find that since Ike has no incentive against avoiding DDD's grab besides a good pressure game causes Ike to fall into the chaingrab too roughly, and it wouldn't really be bad that if DDD couldn't follow up with a gimp kill. Ike just really doesn't have a spacing technique good enough to avoid the grab while dealing the damage at the same time.

As a Mario main I've only been caught in the infinite once. The rest were chaingrab cities (doing 5 standing chaingrabs then going across the stage) and killing me off with a power hit. After that I've been working on strategies against DDD that has thus far, work against the chaingrab, but has yet to be proven to work against the infinite since the only decent DDD main I know has **** fingers and can't do the infinite.

So no, there's no bias. :p

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I would say MK vs Ike is pretty even.

Ike out ranges him, can gimp MK recovery, easy kills since MK is light

MK is faster, can combo and can own the ledge

Seems pretty even

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yes what MK's have you been playing??

The only thing I can think of is ledge dair spiking..

MK gimps Ike effortlessly...

Ike can punish Shuttle loop with a OoS bair but thats it..

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually, one of the most hilarious things i've seen in a crew friendly here was an ike using aether to hit a mk that was off stage on smashville...and STAGE SPIKE HIM UNDER THE STAGE.

TWICE

IN ONE MATCH

epic

and the ike still lost the match hahaha

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yes what MK's have you been playing??

The only thing I can think of is ledge dair spiking..

MK gimps Ike effortlessly...

Ike can punish Shuttle loop with a OoS bair but thats it..
Atleast there is something going for us in that match up. -.-'

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
I wouldn't consider DK N with Ike. Dk outranges Ike most of the time and has great power and more speed. Also can gimp Ike and is very annoying.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Meh Dk does not outrange us outside of down B. I can give a detailed analysis on DK which I believe is 45/55 DK's favor

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
dang... although it doesn't surprise me I still don't see why it's not like DK's play style works better against Ike than Ike against DK's.

edit: anyone else up for making this the official match up number thread?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
DK's speed is an issue. Plus he can punish the front side of usmash with fsmash OoS. Plus his grabs are good.

Ike however can jab combo him 3-5 times. Following with a dtilt is too easy.

If you want I can go into detail.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike vs DK

Its the power powerhouse verse the speed powerhouse. This is a match up I have experienced heavily, so I will say what I believe about it.

Ike Pros:

More Priority
Longer aerial range
Jab is faster than DK
Counter against DK's punch/fsmash
Easier target to hit (Shield pokes and bigger target)

DK's Pros

Longer ground range (down B has the longest ground range in the game)
Up B and DK Punch have reliable SAFs that can be abused
Sakurai Combo is ridiculous
WoP Bair
Faster.. in everything aspect [running, aerial mobility, walking]
Good Grab game

Even aspects:

Both have easy to gimp recoveries
Spikes
High KO Power

Now the list looks fairly even, however that faster pro DK has is pretty big pro.

Now I've said in previous match up discussions that Ike's range makes up for his speed. In this match up, however, DK has more speed, better ground range, and COMPARABLE KO POWER. DDD, Bowser, Ganondarf, none of them compare to DK's speed/power ratios and those ratios take a toll on Ike. And DK is the heaviest overall character... so he lives forever. (Fsmash kills by 80% though) (It's like fighting Snake who traded his projectiles for an air game)

DK's ground range is so good that his fsmash will punish Ike's front side of usmash. So you must ALWAYS hit with the BACKSIDE of usmash.

Jab cancels work wonders on DK, hitting him with 3-5 series of jabs. Finishing with dtilt of the edge is effective. In fact, JAB IS IKE'S SAVING GRACE IN THIS MATCH UP (Or well, in brawl). It cancels out all of DK's tilts and Up B and is faster than any move DK has. In fact, work on canceling DK's ftilt with your jab then quickly follow up with more jabs and jab cancels (make sure you do two jabs so you move forward) [just don't get grabbed then]

DK has an amazing grab game. His cargo toss lets him carry you, gives him 4 new throw options, and lets him throw people into/under stages. Be careful they might dthrow then mind game a fair on you. Learn to tech as well... and button mash... I recommend diagonal c-stick motions.

When it comes to priority, our sword will go thru DK's attacks since he is extending his hurtbox to attack us. This is why spacing is CRUCIAL cause our aerials will always go thru his. [Grounds moves apparently do not follow this and have the 10% rule]

DK's dtilt is fast. he can do it twice and if he trips you, which is a high chance of, he'll follow up with a down B. Boom 40% on you.

DK will use his Up B and B for their SAFs. His grounded Up B will do around 20% if all the hits hit you. Your jab will cancel it, your ftilt will go through it. If he is in a grounded Up B, he can't go backwards. Oh and aerial Up B has invincibility frames during 4-6.

The Sakurai Combo is just... stupid. DK uses side B and puts you in the ground then DK punches you. A 9 punch will kill you by 60%... so don't fall for it.. his Side B eats shields as well.

Don't challenge DK's usmash, your dair won't win.

DK has a great dsmash, but its unsafe on block. Utilt/ftilt him on block. Fsmash if you are good enough to PS and react right away. THERE ARE SIX FRAMES TO INITIATE FSMASH

About aerials, both of their bairs are 7 frames start the hitbox. DK's ,however, lasts for 9 frames (first 3 are the strong hit) while ours last for 2. Their bair is longer and ends faster so theirs is better. His Bair can WoP, and its a great approach. DK's love to use bair, learn to effectively fight against it. Out fair outranges it. Try to aim for his foot during his bair when you expect it coming.

Ike's fair is faster than DK's fair so DK can't attack in front of him in the air unless its his punch so if you think he'll use its SAF to eat your fair whip out counter. Ike's uair is amazing at shield poking the upper area of DK's shield and eating his ADs since he is so big. Last thing to note, is DK's uair is good at juggling and fast, however your dair goes thru his head.

Both Ike and DK have easy to gimp recoveries. DK can fsmash/tilt Ike out of his recovery so you have to keep Aether's apex above DK's fsmash hitbox. I'd say QD mind games if he is expecting aether.

DK's recovery is asking for a spike. One aetherspike and DK is DEAD, his Up B is worthless in canceling meteors. Dair or dtilt work as well. Best thing to do is to grab the ledge, and bair him if he tries to uses his Up B to knock you off the ledge or reverse aether if he tries to go above you. Now when DK uses his Up B onto the stage, there is a small area where he'll get a lagless landing. If he gets his lag landing, you have enough time to ftilt him. If his Up B touches the ground, it will turn into a ground Up B.

I recommend RC as a good counterpick. He only has bair and uair then and loses his magnificent ground game. Or Yoshi's Island so he can't throw you under the stage.

Stay the hell away from Japes.

tl;dr

45/55 DK's favor

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the bump Ussi. I should really update this. Any suggestions?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
these I suggest changing

:bowser2: Bowser 55-45 N <- CG to 45%
:diddy: Diddy Kong 45-55 N <- was agreed in MU thread.
:popo: Ice Climbers 6-4 A
:dedede: King Dedede 35-65 D <- bad, but not total ****.
:kirby2: Kirby 45-55 N
:lucas: Lucas 5-5 N
:gw: Mr G&W 45-55 N
:ness2: Ness 5-5 N
:pit: Pit 4-6 D
:rob: R.O.B. 4-6 D

And:

:dk2: Donkey Kong 5-5 N <- personally i say 45-55 but the community says 5-5

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Samus should be 5-5, with perhaps .5 leeway. The advantage you have given is quite large.

The reason is that her Z-Air can completely shut down our aerial game. Because most of our power lies in our aerials (Besides Jab cancel, F-Tilt, and a few other choice ground attacks) we can not do anything about it. The only reason this would be advantage would be because of Ike's range on the ground, as well as the fact that Samus cannot gimp. However, that does not overrule the fact that Z-Air murders us, and that missiles will be spammed off stage to prevent edgeguarding, as well as on ground, and that her recovery is near ungimpable. I would give it a 4.5-5.5, but even would work. Probably not an advantage.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
6-4 is not a large advantage, nor does Z-air completely shut down our aerial game. We are only affected from attacking Samus head to head in the air. Her recovery is indeed gimpable, near ungimpable is MK. >_> And once we get up close to Samus, we can reck a fair bit of havock quite quickly.

6-4 is perfectly fine.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Maybe it's just me, but I've had massive problems with DK as Ike. He's been the biggest nuisance for me throughout Brawl. Yes, worse than Meta and Falco.

But it seems I'm starting to slip against Falco right now...maybe that'll change once I start going big offline XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Weretiger, read page 15 of this thread and your DK problem should be lessened.

edit: O_o weretiger how long did you exist? Now there is another Ike user in NJ.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
I'm from NJ too Ussi =(. Anyway I need everyone's thoughts on the Samus and G&W ratios.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
G&W is definably 45-55..

I can't say much about Samus. Never really played one.

Fix Pit's color.

EDIT: DDD Might lower to 60-40..

D

Deleted member

I don't see how a match where one character totally outclasses another is an even match.

ike =/= DK

folk!

Smash Apprentice
if ur gonna use ike, u should already know the match up probably isnt in ur favor. so **** **** up! its never over till its over with this dude. however sometimes its just over!:( this sum him up pretty will.

Top Bottom