• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Offical MLG Ruleset Discussion

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
A lot of characters are pretty legit there. DK, DDD, Lucario, Marth. Heck, I've heard stories about Peach on that stage.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'd agree with the confusion about Japes being banned. The easiest way to see why it's silly is to look at a counter example:

Budget Player Cadet_ said:
It's super gay and campy and falco auto-wins on it? :V
Swap "Falco" for "Diddy" and Japes for FD, and the statement holds, except against MK.

Actually, even better, let's use MK on Rainbow Cruise.

You don't ban a stage because one character has an easier time winning on it. All that means is that you use your personal ban on that stage, should your opponent play said character. Japes is illegitimately banned in a lot of areas, when it's a perfectly good CP.

Judo777

Smash Master
DK ***** almost everyone on Japes. Id say he even beats falco on that stage.

Mostly cause he lives to 250% every stock and if u get grabbed at 70% anywhere on the stage ur dead. Also he has up b shenannians everywhere even in the freaking water.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
DK ***** almost everyone on Japes. Id say he even beats falco on that stage.

Mostly cause he lives to 250% every stock and if u get grabbed at 70% anywhere on the stage ur dead. Also he has up b shenannians everywhere even in the freaking water.
So..... it's a great CP for DK? Ban it against him. >_>

swordgard

Smash Hero
What do you want people to do, man? Any ruleset they post will receive criticism. It's not their fault that the game is bad.
Except the many obvious logical flaws, which cannot be blamed on the game(woot for arbitrary banning of infinites but not all of them XD).

Judo777

Smash Master
So..... it's a great CP for DK? Ban it against him. >_>
No i wasn't using that as an excuse i was just stateing that dK is awesome on that stage. That no reason to ban the stage. Its not like DK are dominating tourneys lol

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No i wasn't using that as an excuse i was just stateing that dK is awesome on that stage. That no reason to ban the stage. Its not like DK are dominating tourneys lol
Well DK tend to place well if they had their best CP legal they would do a lot better IMo.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
This is flawed. If it was legal people would just ban it against them, and he'd still be unfortunately molested by DDD.
Na not on japes that stage is ridiculous for DK it's as though it was made for him LoL. If they ban japes DK will just take them to Brinstar which also is **** for DK LoL. So the logic isn't flawed as long as DK can win on a starter he should be able to take the set in a region with Japes legal. The DK vs d3 match up isn't really horrible unless the infinite is legal and that most likely won't be the case.

Judo777

Smash Master
Na not on japes that stage is ridiculous for DK it's as though it was made for him LoL. If they ban japes DK will just take them to Brinstar which also is **** for DK LoL. So the logic is flawed as long as DK can win on a starter he should be able to take the set in a region with Japes legal. The DK vs d3 match up isn't really horrible unless the infinite is legal and that most likely won't be the case.
Ripple has already said that even without the infinite it is still very bad. Also the infinite is legal in a lot of places. Also as u said he has to win on a starter stage aka like BF FD or SV which DK gets ***** on by d3

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ripple has already said that even without the infinite it is still very bad. Also the infinite is legal in a lot of places. Also as u said he has to win on a starter stage aka like BF FD or SV which DK gets ***** on by d3
Na, it's not **** in the least. What regions is the infinite legal in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEVEkIacNFg

Just an example of a good DK against a d3.

Coney

Smash Master
it's not a **** matchup without the infinite. it's still very bad, but certainly not "****."

the comment about the starter stage is partially true, except a DK can win with smart play on BF and even SV with proper platform camping.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I have a question about the Marth infinite on ness and lucas being banned. Does that mean that he can not re grab them at all ? Or is he allowed another re grab ? Let's say I get a grab in on a ness or lucass at around 90 and I know that I won't kill them once they escape will I be allowed to regrab and then pummel get the kill off ?

@Coney I agree with that playing smart goes a long way in brawl. I wish I played smarter and safer.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

Smash Master
I have a question about the Marth infinite on ness and lucas being banned. Does that mean that he can not re grab them at all ? Or is he allowed another re grab ? Let's say I get a grab in on a ness or lucass at around 90 and I know that I won't kill them once they escape will I be allowed to regrab and then pummel get the kill off ?

@Coney I agree with that playing smart goes a long way in brawl. I wish I played smarter and safer.
Even better, what if I wait until he has 1 frame to buffer a spotdodge, then regrab? No way is that an inifinite, and it's completely okay against every other character, but who's going to say whether you waited long enough?

Stupid rule is stupid.

Judo777

Smash Master
Na, it's not **** in the least. What regions is the infinite legal in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEVEkIacNFg

Just an example of a good DK against a d3.
I just gotta know does Almostlegendary even play with D3 or DK? cause i think its funny how he just says "Na it isnt that bad" when ever you have absolutely amazing DKs like Ripple in here saying that IS really bad even without the infinite. Like do you really know the matchup better than Ripple? I doubt it.

Also i have never been to a tournament where the infinite was banned that i am aware of. I dont think it was at VGBC or at the circuit event we had like 2 weeks ago. I know i have been to several tournaments and watched luigis and DKs get infinited before.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Na not on japes that stage is ridiculous for DK it's as though it was made for him LoL. If they ban japes DK will just take them to Brinstar which also is **** for DK LoL. So the logic is flawed as long as DK can win on a starter he should be able to take the set in a region with Japes legal. The DK vs d3 match up isn't really horrible unless the infinite is legal and that most likely won't be the case.
This is still flawed reasoning. MK is **** on MOST legal stages, are you going to ban them all because he only has to win game 1 and then it's GG for the set?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
notice the lack of the word "good" or "great" in front of the word DDD.

NL does not even play DDD.

this match shows a great DK beating a sub-par D3
If that is NL playing he should be able to beat him with d3. Considering how good of a player NL is although I don't think that's NL since that was a tourney match and I don't believe NL use d3 in tourney. Also never seen him use that tag before.

I just gotta know does Almostlegendary even play with D3 or DK? cause i think its funny how he just says "Na it isnt that bad" when ever you have absolutely amazing DKs like Ripple in here saying that IS really bad even without the infinite. Like do you really know the matchup better than Ripple? I doubt it.

Also i have never been to a tournament where the infinite was banned that i am aware of. I dont think it was at VGBC or at the circuit event we had like 2 weeks ago. I know i have been to several tournaments and watched luigis and DKs get infinited before.
I used to play DK. I have messed around with d3. Also I believe the dk v d3 match up is the first match up a DK player should learn. With the infinite one grab leads to death with out it it racks dumb amounts of damage. With that in mind the main idea is to space perfectly you don't really have any safe moves on his shield and if you do get grabbed be at least close to the edge. Plank platform camp whatever it takes. Also the d3 player can't sit there and fish for grabs it's no where near as simple as ZOMg grab **** as much as people say it is. Since you're asking me if I have any DK or d3 experience do yo?

That's strange because I've never been to a tourney where the infinite is allowed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

This is still flawed reasoning. MK is **** on MOST legal stages, are you going to ban them all because he only has to win game 1 and then it's GG for the set?
huh? I didn't say japes was banned because of how good dK is on that stage just simple pointing out how good DK is on that stage LoL.

Judo777

Smash Master
If that is NL playing he should be able to beat him with d3. Considering how good of a player NL is although I don't think that's NL since that was a tourney match and I don't believe NL use d3 in tourney. Also never seen him use that tag before.

I used to play DK. I have messed around with d3. Also I believe the dk v d3 match up is the first match up a DK player should learn. With the infinite one grab leads to death with out it it racks dumb amounts of damage. With that in mind the main idea is to space perfectly you don't really have any safe moves on his shield and if you do get grabbed be at least close to the edge. Plank platform camp whatever it takes. Also the d3 player can't sit there and fish for grabs it's no where near as simple as ZOMg grab **** as much as people say it is. Since you're asking me if I have any DK or d3 experience do yo?

That's strange because I've never been to a tourney where the infinite is allowed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

huh? I didn't say japes was banned because of how good dK is on that stage just simple pointing out how good DK is on that stage LoL.
No ofc i dont have any real DK or D3 experience but i dont have to because Ripple already told us it was bad. Id bet he has some D3 and DK experience what do you think? Thats why i compared u to him and not to me.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Match ups can vary from player to player though. I'm not saying Ripple isn't more credible (IMO he is) but some people may have easier times with harder matchups for whatever reason.

There's no point in arguing between how one person percieves the matchup and how another person does.

Besides, he's not even saying the matchup is good for DK, he's just saying he doesn't find it as bad as others do.

Judo777

Smash Master
Match ups can vary from player to player though. I'm not saying Ripple isn't more credible (IMO he is) but some people may have easier times with harder matchups for whatever reason.

There's no point in arguing between how one person percieves the matchup and how another person does.

Besides, he's not even saying the matchup is good for DK, he's just saying he doesn't find it as bad as others do.
I would be totally cool with that if i believed that he actually played the matchup at high levels of play.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
so... lets get wireless controllers to be legal, for people like me, tear bear, YBM, and Ultimate Razor

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
The ban on them is a great idea if using them would cause them to interfere with each other.
I agree the ban is awful, but its vastly preferable to the possibility of someones controller failing during a finals match and their character doing things they aren't telling it to

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
The ban on them is a great idea if using them would cause them to interfere with each other.
I agree the ban is awful, but its vastly preferable to the possibility of someones controller failing during a finals match and their character doing things they aren't telling it to
It was already stated that the wiimote's signal is strong enough to not be interfered with by the amount of bluetooth traffic at MLG. I don't understand your logic even if it wasn't the case.

T-block

B2B TST
Has that ever been tested? I mean... I trust the guy who said that, but we shouldn't be going on only his word for something as big as this.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Well, when you consider Sony Engineers told MLG not to use the wireless controllers and manufactured custom wired controllers for them, I think it's safe to say that such a thing was tested and then backed up by Sony.

There is A LOT of technology at an MLG event and I'm sure even a handful of wireless things could mess something up.

From Clap:
I'm sorry it affects you so adversely, but we banned your controller because we know what we're doing. We did the same with the PS3 after being advised to BY SONY ENGINEERS about how the wireless signals will be jammed. Sony actually built us custom bluetooth disabled controllers for tournament use. With over 200 Xboxes, 20 Wiis, and 60 PS3s in the same room, there is a 'signal haze' in the room that actually prevents us from using wireless internet from industrial routers, let alone wireless controllers. Would some work? Maybe. Would they work if we let everyone use them? Absolutely not.

We've been doing these events for a while now (:p) and this is something we have explored backwards, forwards, and side ways, we're 100% confident that we made the right decision. Again, I'm sorry if it has put any competitors in a bad position, but it was a necessary decision.
From JV:
Wii Motes- We are still trying to figure this one out. But the MLG tech team has said because of the massive amount of electronics and things we run (and all do respect but an airport is just not an accurate analogy to MLG event. But i do appreciate the post Zta, hopefully something i can pass along) bluetooth (2.4 ghz) signals just do not work properly. Now unfortunately theres no way for me to test this till Orlando. But at the same time, you people that purchased passes, purchased tickets, we appreciate people coming out and if they do work would like to potentially give you players that did so without knowing the opportunity to use them in Orlando. Its not totally my call, but im hopeful.
From Deimos:
MLG MAY test this thoroughly in Orlando for the upcoming events. However, Wiimotes will not be permitted for Orlando.

Top Bottom