• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Weekend of May 21st
Using Unity Ruleset:
  1. Revival of Brampton Smash (Canada) - Run by devlol
  2. KTAR5 (South River, New Jersey) - Run by Keitaro
  3. TC's Smash Café # 4 (Ferndale, Michigan) - Run by Technical Chase
  4. Charity Gaming II (Columbus, Ohio) - Run by AlphaZealot
  5. DMT 7: Chance to win a 3DS!!! (Amarillo, Texas) - Run by Dakpo

Not Using Unity Ruleset:
  1. Gamers Paradise 2011 (Hagerstown, Maryland) - Run by Metalmonster (Custom Ruleset, 13 stages, infinite legal, initiator suicide rule for Bowser & Gannon only, no LGL)
  2. Next Level LAN Presents: Smash Derpfest (Orlando, Florida) - Run by [GB]Cecil (Custom Ruleset, 11 stages, infinites legal, no initiator suicide rule, no LGL)
  3. Ogre Smash 2 (St. Louis, Missouri) - Run by TP (Custom Ruleset, 14 stages, infinites legal, no initiator suicide rule, 35 LGL)
  4. PHB 5/21 (Tallahasse, Florida) - Run by B_AWAL (Custom, 14 stages, infinites legal, no initiator suicide rule, sharking/scrooging rule, 50 LGL)
  5. Pathways Smash XI (Springfield, Missouri) - Run by Terral (Custom, 16 stages, infinites legal, no initiator suicide rule, scouting rule, 40 LGL MK only)

Weekend of May 14th
Using Unity Ruleset:
  1. DNA Gaming & Entertainment #17 (Worcester, Massachusetts) - Run by Bizkit
  2. B.A.M.F #1 Michigan's Summer Circuit: Season Opener (Sylvan Lake, Michigan) - Run by ORI_bro
  3. E4j: Will (North Hollywood, California) - Run by MikeHaze
  4. Monterey Bay Thunder 8 (Seaside, California) - Run by Get Your Tournament
  5. The Smash Lounge 2 (Lafayette, Louisiana) - Run by ChKn

Not Using Unity Ruleset:
  1. UCSD SP11 REC Class - Weekly Tournaments (La Jolla, California) - Run by AZN Lep (Custom Rules, 14 stages, infinites legal, no suicide initiator rule, 14 Stages, 50 LGL)
  2. Legend of Gamers presents: BRAWL OR NOTHIN' (O'Fallon, Illinois) - Run by Legend For Gamers (Custom Rules, 9 stages, infinites legal, no suicide initiator rule, no LGL)

Weekend of May 7th
Using Unity Ruleset:
  1. UNCC Presents: The Gold Mine Ft. Kadaj, Dr. Peepee (Charlotte, North Carolina) - Run by H1N1
  2. Lone Star Circuit #1: House of Mouse 2!! (Austin, Texas) - Run by Zigsta
  3. K9 & Yoshiken's Bi-Monthly Round Robins (Mesa, Arizona) Run by Anjila

Not Using Unity Ruleset:
  1. (MW:W Cir) Event 52: Battle to End Hunger (Lawrence, Kansas) - Run by DeLux (Custom Rules, Unity Ruleset w/7 starters, coaching allowed)
  2. OUGA: CC Presents Shi-Kakuto-Geemu (Columbus, Ohio) - Run by TheKiest (Custom Rules, 18 stages, standing infinites banned, no suicide initiator rule, weird LGL)
  3. Dark.Pch and Bum present: Imperial Era 4 (Bronx, New York) - Run by Dark.Pch (Custom Rules, 13 stages, infinites legal, suicide initiator rule, 40 LGL)
  4. Roxx presents: Aperture's Monthly Test Chamber 03! (Cincinnati, Ohio) - Run by Kassandra (Custom Rules, 16 stages, Infinites legal, no suicide initiator rule, no LGL)
  5. Smash N' Thrash Get preped (Little Rock, Arkansas) - Run by memK (Custom Rules, 15 Stages, Infinites banned, no suicide initiator rule, no LGL)

*Note: tournaments with no rules listed are not counted. All tournaments listed for that Saturday via the Smashboards Calendar system, including international, excluding Melee, are counted.

13/25, or 52% of tournaments, in May have used the Unity Ruleset. No other tournament has used the same rules.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Weekend of May 7th
Using Unity Ruleset:
  1. (MW:W Cir) Event 52: Battle to End Hunger (Lawrence, Kansas) - Run by DeLux

14/25, or 56% of tournaments, in May have used the Unity Ruleset. No other tournament has used the same rules.

1. AZ, not wanting to nitpick, but we used a modified version of the unity rulesset:

In pools, we did Best of 1 Full Unity List Stage Striking to determine seeding (although Chibo said that it was ok since it didn't eliminate anyone and was used to seed)

A seven stage starter list of: BF, SV, YIB, FD, PS1, PS2, LC during bracket play.

Also, I removed the coaching rule and allowed coaching during matches since the coaching rule as it stands was unenforceable and places a huge unnecessary burden on TO's imo.

TP

Smash Master
For the record, I would have banned Picto at my tournament to keep it closer to the Unity ruleset if you guys had made any kind of announcement at all that would allow me to know you changed it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
TP: we did make an announcement in this thread, on twitter, and via two blogs on AiB. For the easiest way to use the current version of the Unity Ruleset, just link to the Unity Ruleset instead of C/Ping it. I realized this myself when the new version was released.

TP

Smash Master
TP: we did make an announcement in this thread, on twitter, and via two blogs on AiB. For the easiest way to use the current version of the Unity Ruleset, just link to the Unity Ruleset instead of C/Ping it. I realized this myself when the new version was released.
I don't go to AiB because it spams me with ads. I don't wanna directly link to the Unity ruleset because I very strongly disagree with having separate LGLs for separate characters. You might as well have low tiers start with 4 stocks if you're that worried about the rules being unfair for certain characters.

I still agree with the project as a whole, though. If I saw that I was the last holdout not using Unity, I'd use it.

M@v

Subarashii!
I guess I'll start the discussion on the new card system. I think its a good idea. It gives players a warning before extreme measures are taken. Time will tell, but 2 warnings may be better than one.

And let me verify something: 2 cards in separate categories, does not equala red?

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah I re-read it. I was re-editing my post as you replied xD.

So you get a yellow then a red, but they don't cross categories. 1 red = your banned from events.

But for how long? I'm assuming permanently at the moment since A. yellow cards last only 6 months and B. There's no end ban date listed.

Tesh

Smash Hero
This is interesting, but it might be hard to convince TOs to now ban top players from attending because of poor behavior elsehwere. Hopefully at least now top players will KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT about splitting and bracket fixing.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Where's Nike? I need that rofl smiley he always uses. OH **** TOO GOOD, YOU NINJA'D ME!

Oh, by the way, AZ, 12/25 is less that %50.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I re-read it. I was re-editing my post as you replied xD.

So you get a yellow then a red, but they don't cross categories. 1 red = your banned from events.

But for how long? I'm assuming permanently at the moment since A. yellow cards last only 6 months and B. There's no end ban date listed.
Cards can be issued for any length amount of time. Yellow cards typically last for longer periods while red cards might be a bit shorter. An active red card means you can not enter any events @ a Unity ruleset tournament.

Players may receive a red card right off the bat, especially now that this system is in place and known. If there is somewhat solid evidence or reasonable belief beyond doubt, a player may be issued a red card right away instead of a yellow.

For instance, if incredibly obvious splitting or bracket manipulation happens at a future event, players might receive a red card off the bat based on various things, among other things determined by the TO at the moment, such as removal from bracket and or forfeiting all earned prize money to other placing players.

Reizilla

For people that claim to be against arbitrary rules....

SHAKE. MY. HEAD.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
For people that claim to be against arbitrary rules....

SHAKE. MY. HEAD.
Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but I certainly hope you're not comparing a player conduct rule to a gameplay rule.

Reizilla

Tell me how you're gonna determine if someone "intentionally underperformed." Any way, a player should have the right to do whatever he wants in bracket. He earned it by beating on lesser plays to make it as far as he did. If he doesn't want to try making more money, tough ****.

Edit: found them! :D

:awesome::grin::joyful::laugh::joyful: :smash::smash::smash::pimp::bee:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Who decides if someone gets a card? The TO hosting the event or the committee as a whole?

If I host an event and 2 top players obviously split, then do I get to ban those players from entering events across the country?

I highly doubt this will work if you have TOs banning people from other TOs events.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i think the TO hosting the event gets to make whatever call they want at the event
and the card is decided on swf afterwards

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The Coaching Rule and the Stalling Rule still have major enforceability issues that need addressing in my opinion.

Although I like some of the new developments

Scatz

Smash Champion
It'd seem like it would have to be up to the committee. TOs would have to send in information about the tournament to the committee, then they review it and decide if it's card worthy.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Who decides if someone gets a card? The TO hosting the event or the committee as a whole?

If I host an event and 2 top players obviously split, then do I get to ban those players from entering events across the country?

I highly doubt this will work if you have TOs banning people from other TOs events.
i think the TO hosting the event gets to make whatever call they want at the event
and the card is decided on swf afterwards
What stingers said is basically right. Any actions taken at the venue such as removal from bracket and/or forfeiting of prize money is decided by the TO.
Card Distribution is determined by the BBR-RC which would likely be based on a discussion taking place after the event, investigating the situation, etc. Basically like how we've had a couple days now to talk about KTAR, find out what happened exactly, and determine the punishment.

Tesh

Smash Hero
@ Rei, this ruleset isnt ABOUT what might be perfectly right. That isnt what is at stake here. If top players keep giving the middle finger to the pot fillers, Nationals will be just be 30 players and NO potfillers. Objectively speaking, once you are knocked out of the tournament, it shouldn't be your concern what happens to the money, but players travel not just to win, but to see those high level matches played live.

If top players stop caring once they knock out everyone that isn't friends with them, it will KILL the tournament scene. Most players won't want to compete in that environment.

Reizilla

It's been happening for years, Tesh. We're still growing. Street Fighter/Marvel, etc. community has been doing it even longer and they're much much more alive than the Brawl community. Speaking of, it's funny how they bring up the EVO Championship Series thing because that ruling got so much backlash and **** from the community because it was complete bull****.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I am in support of a global system that promotes player integrity.

While the act of splitting itself cannot and probably should not be actively prevented, intentionally putting close to no effort into what would normally be the most important sets of a tournament is quite a significant damper on competition. I also don't see how top players suddenly earn this "privilege" to basically toss out the final tier of tournament play just because their skills got them far enough to win some cash.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I am in support of a global system that promotes player integrity.

While the act of splitting itself cannot and probably should not be actively prevented, intentionally putting close to no effort into what would normally be the most important sets of a tournament is quite a significant damper on competition. I also don't see how top players suddenly earn this "privilege" to basically toss out the final tier of tournament play just because their skills got them far enough to win some cash.
roflomg, but u shud just get as gud as dem and den you can stop da cheating

:troll:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Consider this: Winner's Semi-finals, Loser's Semi-Finals, and Loser's Finals were all pointless matches at a 100+ person tournament because of splitting. You might as well have flipped a coin. The practice of splitting severely watered down the competitiveness of those matches and is basically the epitome of anti-hype.

qB[ said:
Where's Nike? I need that rofl smiley he always uses. OH **** TOO GOOD, YOU NINJA'D ME!

Oh, by the way, AZ, 12/25 is less that %50.
It was 14/25, but then TP commented, and it became 13/25. Those 13 are still listed. 13/25 = 52%

Scatz said:
It'd seem like it would have to be up to the committee. TOs would have to send in information about the tournament to the committee, then they review it and decide if it's card worthy.
More or less this. Every situation is going to be handled on a per-case basis, no broad rules will apply as every situation will likely be slightly different. The decisions will be made on the best available information. In this case Keitaro affirmed everything and the only real discussion was how long the card should last for. We also felt since this was the first implementation of the system, that a Yellow Card (basically a warning putting the player on blast and future TO's on alert) is most appropriate. Future first-time actions may indeed result in an immediate red card. I think a lot will come down to what the TO wants in conjunction with what the Committee wants. If the TO feels really slighted I doubt anyone on the committee would object to a really harsh punishment, for example.

Scatz

Smash Champion
It's been happening for years, Tesh. We're still growing. Street Fighter/Marvel, etc. community has been doing it even longer and they're much much more alive than the Brawl community. Speaking of, it's funny how they bring up the EVO Championship Series thing because that ruling got so much backlash and **** from the community because it was complete bull****.
If players want to split, then they should discuss it after the tourney is done. There's no need to make top level play matches boring for people that come to see them (aka pot fillers). Bull**** or not, it forces the conduct of players to stop from being complete *******s and show respect.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The new infraction rule is interesting

As it seems that there are going to be many changes, is it possible to post on top of each new rulesset the changes from the previous ones (either as a history or for people who know.) You could collapse it or something for more room

As in for example (Obviously better worded than this):

Previous updates
[COLLAPSE="Changes from Ruleset 1.1 to 1.2"]'____was moved from neutral to counterpick
The ____ rule has been changed. Please see ____ below for more information
A new section, the infraction system, has been added
[/COLLAPSE]

Staco

Smash Champion
I love this new system!
It´s great.
Finally something gets done to save the competitive smash scene after seeing all the crap that happened at the different smash events, such as MLG and now also KTar.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yeah, I like the fact that the BBR-RC is trying to discourage these types of things seeing as they're anti-competitive, but it's still easily to get around. It's really hard to measure things like "intentional under performance" or losing on purpose so I don't really have any better ideas than what the BBR-RC has shown.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Look I don't think splitting is good or anything, but I just wish we went about things differently.

The purpose of this new infraction ruleset is to diminish splitting behavior, but lets be honest here. If splitting still occurred, but you could leave out any trace of it would this be necessary? The BBR is doing a great job coming up with idea's on stopping a pretty bad habbit our top players have. However, the way we go about things and addressing people is out of line. Who's to say they still play completely competitive and just share money @ the end of the tourney? Once you've won the tourney the money's your's to share.

I don't think the BBR handled the KTAR accident too well as far as addressing the players IN THE THREAD. You guys aren't the police, you're other players that want the best for the community just like we all do. Addressing problems in the Tourney thread is way too much exposure in the first place. You could've addressed the players privately, so it's not on our tourney pages. Sure they probably made a show of it on steam, but that's for whoever watched the stream and/or those matches. Not for potential newcomers, people who don't know us, or people who weren't watching to know.

I feel like if we had a better way of addressing things we'd have gotten rid of this problem a LONG time ago. Or at least been able to hide it.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Also, I'm not sure if this is true so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this new rule come out AFTER the tournament happened? There was no rule about forfeiting or splitting beforehand so why should they receive a yellow card for a rule that was made after a tournament?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
off topic: how many people use that gyt website? it looks super nice, but I dont see any evidence of a community of any sort >.>

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Also, I'm not sure if this is true so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this new rule come out AFTER the tournament happened? There was no rule about forfeiting or splitting beforehand so why should they receive a yellow card for a rule that was made after a tournament?

Yeah I'm wondering that too.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Conduct Rule #5 stated and in place before the tournament: intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.

This is how the TO choose to punish the players.

Top Bottom