• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Except I like Battlefield because it impacts MUs.

There are no stages in the game that do not bias any MUs.
The day Brawl changes to have stages with as little impact as possible on MUs is the day I quit Brawl.
I seem to have an error in interpretation here. "As little impact as possible" is equivalent to "no impact at all"?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
That's because you're viewing a MU on a static stage as default.

Which is no more valid than assuming every MU takes place on Port Town Aero Dive.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, you're trying to adjust your view of my opinions to your liking.

The stage striking system is designed to allow players to remove from the initial list the stages that have the greatest negative impact on their characters, typically relative to the given match-ups. Whether by coincidence or not, Battlefield happens to be one of the more common stages that people end up on. I've made note that Smash has the somewhat odd system of allowing stages that are not available for selection at all during the first round of a set, and have been discussing this... elsewhere.

Extending that to striking down to the stages that will be used for the entirety of the set, then, minimizes the impact of stage selection on match-up. There's a possibility of this killing what some see as a crucial element of Smash - potential stage variety - but I've been interested in seeing how it might change the emphasis of the other element of counterpicking - switching characters.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If a player has a Wario secondary, they really have no reason to strike a stage like Brinstar and now leave it to the opponent to either waist a stage strike or risk getting CPed there if his characters aren't that great on that stage

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
We've actually tentatively begun discussions on this topic in an indirect sense.

I sort of framed the argument as trying to decentralize the impact of game1 while maintaining the stage diversity of the counter pick system.

I have a few ideas, but they need to go through discussion before I explain them.

Or I might go rogue and post it on my own. Haven't decided yet.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm more or less sick of discussing this.

Go ruin the game, idc.

Don't ban MK and remove CPing of stages and make the game revolve around character counterpicking apparently (so everyone goes MK), I won't (and can't) stop you.

Just don't expect me to follow this ruleset.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes, because what I said is explicitly "remove CPing" and I'm clearly also saying "don't ban MK", just like how my opinion of Battlefield is only because "I'm viewing a MU on a static stage as default". Please, continue telling me what I'm saying.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm sorry, a large part of the problem is I keep losing my ****ing responses to these ****ing 502 errors.

but I've been interested in seeing how it might change the emphasis of the other element of counterpicking - switching characters.
I don't see any other way of interpreting this than you want the game to focus on character counterpicking, which would inevitably lead to every match being a MK ditto.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I'm sorry, a large part of the problem is I keep losing my ****ing responses to these ****ing 502 errors.

I don't see any other way of interpreting this than you want the game to focus on character counterpicking, which would inevitably lead to every match being a MK ditto.
How would striking down to three stages force everyone to pick up MK?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm saying if the focus of the game is intended to be put on character counterpicking, there's only one choice really.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
But that was never the focus of the game. It's just a problem with the current CP system

Arcansi

Smash Champion
[QUOTE='[ЯVR] aisight;13310528'There's a possibility of this killing what some see as a crucial element of Smash - potential stage variety - but I've been interested in seeing how it might change the emphasis of the other element of counterpicking - switching characters.[/QUOTE]

But that was never the focus of the game. It's just a problem with the current CP system
See above.

You should probably read the supporting points before posting in an argument.

NOTE: Making it strike down to 3 stages does, on paper, remove almost all cps from the matchups.

In fact, it kinda makes the game about who's good on our starter list, get me?

But wait, wouldn't that just be a more spread out version of the 'importance of game 1' problem we have now?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I was responding to Supreme Dirt.

If players really wanted to the last three stages could end up having both RC and Brinstar in them. You don't have to win the first game as long as you know you can beat your opponent on the other stages

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I was responding to Supreme Dirt.

If players really wanted to the last three stages could end up having both RC and Brinstar in them. You don't have to win the first game as long as you know you can beat your opponent on the other stages
O hey, he can probably beat me on RC and Brinstar.

Better ban them.

Judo777

Smash Master
Just sayin Luigis love Norfair (or every one I have known has). Yea Luigi can't catch people on it if they are running away, but that's Luigi in every MU or every stage. There is one big difference tho. It forces the other player to play in the air more too and Luigi gets shut out harder by ground play than air play. More so ideally the opponent will be forced closer to Luigi due to lava hazards 16 times a match which is pretty great considering that more opportunities than he normally gets.

Judo777

Smash Master
Is there a way to make like a minimum amount of time or posts before voting in that poll so as to prevtn people from making multiple accounts? Not that it matters because I have a strong feeling it will be a landslide.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I'd really like to see how Doom's tourney plays out this weekend since MK is banned there and its looking to be a sizable event.

I want to hear the player's pros and cons about mk being banned as it'll be influential to my future decisions.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You will certainly know the results of the RC's decision. I do not know about the results of the poll. I'll try to find out.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Can't you see the numbers right now? Clearly 9001 have voted for the ban, and 9001 against, out of 109 total voters.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Please direct all inquiries of the results to Yink and not me or any other member of the committee

Tesh

Smash Hero
I hope the poll stays open a while. I personally see no point is trying to ban MK before Apex. I would have hoped the poll would have gone up at a later time, so people would be likely to vote after large events like that MK banned National that was supposed to happen and Apex.

Oh well though.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I feel that rc and brinstar should be banned for singles but not doubles. I feel nothing is broken in doubles because it can be overcome with teamwork.

I have something for yall to witness once chibo posts the clash 1 vids. So be ready!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
BUT IT'S NOT A 1 V 1, IT'S A (2 V 2) - (1 V 1)

wORD

Top Bottom