• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Luigi player

Smash Master
Why does BRC approve of allowing broken stages like Norfair and Green Greens for testing purposes...
But not of banning similarly broken stages like Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise for the same reason?

:059:
Suggested Ruleset Testing

Metaknight Banned
Brinstar and/or Rainbow Cruise Banned
2 or 1 stock matches with a different timer
5-9 stage starter lists
2 Stage Bans
Testing any of the following stages: Jungle Japes, Norfair, Pirate Ship, Green Greens, Port Town, Onett, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Luigi's Mansion, and Distant Planet
2 or 1 stock matches -_-"

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Seems a bit confusing but I like this new idea.
I'm definitely interested in seeing the results of some experimental tournaments banning them. However to put things in perspective, LIRR and KTAR 6 both banned Brinstar and not much seemed to change overall.
I know top 8 didn't change much, especially considering people aren't going to beat M2K, Anti, Nairo, and Ally even if only FD was allowed in tourney.

Has the results for the rest of the tourney been looked at and analyzed? Seibrik did place 49th at KTAR 6 and he's a top MK.

Life

Smash Hero
Seibrik did place 49th at KTAR 6 and he's a top MK.
Look at this from the Sonics' perspective. We'd thought KID was third-best (or fourth after Speed, YMMV), but he got outplaced by multiple other Sonics, some of which are probably worse than him.

The point? If KID can have a bad day, so can Seibrik. Doesn't *necessarily* mean anything.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think it's silly to expect a drastic change of results within just one tournament. People collect data for various "experiments" over the course of a year or more but the ban of Brinstar at ONE tournament only in the USA is supposed to change things right away? And if it doesn't happen immediately it's supposed to tell us that removing the stage is irrelevant?

That's a double-standard.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Lol, no one except KID and Mileg2g thought he was a top sonic.

InComs point still stands, though the lack of pools in a 100+ tournament explains the poor placement of KID and Seibrik. Though KID didnt really lose to anyone that impressive.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I'd do the experimental ruleset if its still going on by next year. If its not going on and Brinstar is still allowed then I won't do the experimental or Unity rulesets.

Also if a rediculous amount of players can't go to my tourney because of Red Cards I won't do Unity. Just giving a heads up.
Look at this from the Sonics' perspective. We'd thought KID was third-best (or fourth after Speed, YMMV), but he got outplaced by multiple other Sonics, some of which are probably worse than him.

The point? If KID can have a bad day, so can Seibrik. Doesn't *necessarily* mean anything.
Much love for Seibrik but 49th is a pretty damn bad day lol considering he probably never placed lower than 17th at anything ever. I was just using Seibrik as an example to say that the other placings should be taken into consideration and not just the top 8 where we know M2K, Anti, Nairo, Ally will be in regardless of what stages are on.

Also Seibrik can be an interesting example since he's a MK that lost to a Sonic and Falco at a tourney where Brinstar was banned, where Sonic and Falco are garbage on that stage.

Life

Smash Hero
I'd do the experimental ruleset if its still going on by next year. If its not going on and Brinstar is still allowed then I won't do the experimental or Unity rulesets.
I'd assume it's permanent.

Much love for Seibrik but 49th is a pretty damn bad day lol considering he probably never placed lower than 17th at anything ever. I was just using Seibrik as an example to say that the other placings should be taken into consideration and not just the top 8 where we know M2K, Anti, Nairo, Ally will be in regardless of what stages are on.
Fair enough. Pools might have helped, but we can only theorize on that count (yes, I know you didn't have time, I'm just saying)

Also Seibrik can be an interesting example since he's a MK that lost to a Sonic and Falco at a tourney where Brinstar was banned, where Sonic and Falco are garbage on that stage.
I won't speak for Falco, but as a Sonic, I will only say that Brinstar is pretty much his only bad stage so I ban it against almost everybody--much like how MK has two particularly strong stages (Brinstar/RC) and with one gone everyone bans the other.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Aww, Mushroom Kingdom 1-1 isn't on the testing list? Whatever. Good for Green Greens though. ♥

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Seibrik also got 0-2'd by both people, losing on the neutrals as well. It's not like it went to game 3 where Seibrik's counterpick was crucial.
And the only reason he got 49th instead of higher despite losing to Speed was because Pelca also got upset in winners and it just so happened that the two strongest players in losers that early had to play each other.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
GUYS, you can test stuff that isn't on the testing list, jeez...

There's a reason why it's called "Suggested Ruleset Testing." It's just a list of possible things you could do in your ruleset. It's not like you're completely restricted to the suggestions that they give you.

I could hold a tourney with Warioware legal and still get backing on it from the BRC, although I'd probably have to make one hell of a case for it, seeing as it IS Warioware...

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea, we're just throwing out some ideas of things you may want to test, you can choose things not on there.

But obviously you still need a reason to do so as John#s said about Wario Ware. Like we all know 75M is never going to be legal, so we won't approve any experimental ruleset featuring it.

NNID
Budget_Player
Rainbow/Brinstar both remain I see...
I'm definitely interested in seeing the results of some experimental tournaments banning them. However to put things in perspective, LIRR and KTAR 6 both banned Brinstar and not much seemed to change overall.
This has kinda been predicted for quite a while. Just sayin'. MK doesn't need his "broken" stages; he still beats everyone in the game without them. Certain characters sure want his "broken" stages against him though (Ness, Link, TL, Sonic...)

Seems a bit confusing but I like this new idea.
I know top 8 didn't change much, especially considering people aren't going to beat M2K, Anti, Nairo, and Ally even if only FD was allowed in tourney.

Has the results for the rest of the tourney been looked at and analyzed? Seibrik did place 49th at KTAR 6 and he's a top MK.
Orion got 65th, and he's easily top 5 in Europe. You need to also remember that you ran a 130-man bracket. Results below 9th in a tournament setting like that can pretty much be drawn at random.

I think it's silly to expect a drastic change of results within just one tournament. People collect data for various "experiments" over the course of a year or more but the ban of Brinstar at ONE tournament only in the USA is supposed to change things right away? And if it doesn't happen immediately it's supposed to tell us that removing the stage is irrelevant?

That's a double-standard.

What are you trying to achieve/prove when brinstar is banned, Gheb? That MK is less broken? We have two tournaments showing that this is crassly wrong, and underlying theory backing that up. Should we keep proving it, or what?

Tesh

Smash Hero
BPC, Orion also ran into a Sonic and lost. It has nothing to do with stages or brackets. Sonic is an MK counter.

Kaptain

Smash Ace
Im a TO and will be testing Luigi's Mansion and Norfair in doubles coming up, also I tested Port Town and Pirate ship at my last tourny in singles. No one played pirateship (probably forgot it was legal, but a few did play on Port Town. I'll load a few links below of some matchs from it. Also, I'll be happy to report back from my testing with my other 2 once the tourny takes place sept 24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5HjC05Qqq8 (Second Match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFH7RN3hlcg (Third match)

Sorry if you need to skip to them.
EDIT: the only thing different in my rules and unity are my LGLs, which are default 40 for everyone.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
^ send PM to one of the 5 of us accepting expiremental Rulesets

I'd assume it's permanent.
It's actually temporary bro. It finishes on December 31st of this year, and then we collect data for a tim period, and then we re-release the system at some point.

wait so what's different besides the testing stuff?
Unity Ruleset covers the Countries of USA & Canada.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
well, on the subject of testing, i've been talking to sync/xyro about helping me host testing tournaments for you guys since before you posted that you will be accepting testing tourneys so ill be letting you guys know what i plan on testing for yall soon.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think Pitochat and/or Distant planet should be included. Their hazards are easy to avoid unless an opponent knocks you into them. Distant planet is balanced geometrically, and the vast majority of picto chat transformations are balanced.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I personally do not like those stages but I agree. I mean the WORST that happens is that we show the stages are not that great and ppl want them banned...I mean more data is better.

I think also we should try some stages in doubles/singles only

like norfair and other bigger stages in doubles only

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
So went to a mk banned tourney yesterday. Rainbow Cruise was also banned. Wanna know the placings?

This was decided b4 i/we found out about the experiemental thing :(

:ike: ryo second best ike :awesome:
:snake::diddy::falco: redhalberd
:popo: 2D-Jeff
:toonlink: 2nlio
:wario::marth::diddy: (also used :kirby: vs :fox: and :dedede: vs :marth::ness:) seibrik
xxxx
xxxx
:zerosuitsamus: Mink

I'll link the actual results thread once it's up...or not.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
So went to a mk banned tourney yesterday. Rainbow Cruise was also banned. Wanna know the placings?

This was decided b4 i/we found out about the experiemental thing :(

:ike: ryo second best ike :awesome:
:snake::diddy::falco: redhalberd
:popo: 2D-Jeff
:toonlink: 2nlio
:wario::marth::diddy: (also used :kirby: vs :fox: and :dedede: vs :marth::ness:) seibrik
xxxx
xxxx
:zerosuitsamus: Mink

I'll link the actual results thread once it's up...or not.
RC was banned which means no one could use it as a DDD CP

Top Bottom