• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

juiey2

Smash Cadet
Here's what should be done.

In my opinion~

Ban MK, Then tiers will not matter,Underrated characters will have their chance to ''glow'', The grand finals will not be Ally/Anti vs M2K EVERY GOD DAMN ***IN TIME, The matchups will not be impossible for those who are not MK's, diddy's, snakes and olimars (I said not impossible). Brawl will become a more competitive game, instead of being MK ditto EVERY GOD DAMN ***ING TIME.

Because, if you can't beat a Metaknight, you will use him to beat this metaknight, and another guy, will lose to you, and use metaknight ALSO, to beat you.
This causes a snowball, soon, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, will have tournaments with just metaknight's face on the roaster.

Street fighter had akuma banned for a reason.

I hope i can post here, the thread was open for ordinary members anyways

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Oh my god.

I haven't visited this thread in ages and clicked last page.

Has the whole argument for like the past month really been the red/yellow card rule?

No wonder nothing is getting done around here.
Virtually nobody on the BRC has posted here recently...

One of the two updates is going to be updating the BRC member list in the Unity Ruleset thread.

Unless there are actually three updates. ;)

Tesh

Smash Hero
kyokoro kind has a point, people in this thread are just kind of talking amongst themselves.

M@v

Subarashii!
I'll wait for the announcement because I'm not 100% sure myself since I just was added yesterday, but I think 2 other people got added in with me.

M@v

Subarashii!
I know we are trying to update the list and its going up as soon as all the new people add their mini bio (The brief intro and tournament list). I already did mine.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I know we are trying to update the list and its going up as soon as all the new people add their mini bio (The brief intro and tournament list). I already did mine.

can i just get a general list pmed or imed to me

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wait was Alex already in the BBR or is this new? Am I just noticing this now?

If I'm not congrats Alex.

Also totally calling more stages being eliminated and in addition to infinites, you are now allowed to unplug your opponent's controller when you get a grab with icies.

Life

Smash Hero
Well THAT was interesting.

The BBR-RC is happy to announce the new Experimental Unity Ruleset System! This new system will allow TOs that follow the Unity Ruleset to run tourneys with slight alterations, while still retaining the full benefits of a regular Unity Ruleset tourney! These tourneys will be used as a means of gathering data on the slight ruleset alternations. The Experimental Unity Ruleset System will be active until December 31st, 2011. We will then take a short break of 1-2 months to analyze all data and make any potential changes, then re-open Experimental Rulesets to everyone after a month or two.

The BBR-RC acknowledges that it is rather difficult to test out different rules when there is a universal ruleset that most tourneys use. This system would help remedy that flaw. Want to run an MK banned tourney while still using Unity Ruleset? This system would allow that! Think Norfair should be legal and want to test it out? Then this system is for you!

Procedure

1. You must PM one of the following BBR-RC members that you wish your tourney to be accepted as an Experimental Unity Ruleset: Bizkit, Chibo, Player-1, Technical Chase, or Tin Man.
2. State what rule alternation(s) you wish for your tourney to use in the PM.
3. Make sure your tourney threads & pages state that you are using an Experimental Unity Ruleset after the BBR-RC member permits your tourney to use the altered ruleset.
4. After the tourney, PM the same BBR-RC member with the results of your tourney and any information or data you have written down or remember.

Notes

- This system requires that the BBR-RC gives your tourney permission to use an Experiemental Unity Ruleset. Because of this, your ruleset alterations must have valid intentions, and you must be willing to collect data based on your ruleset alterations. The data you will be expected to collect will be in your approval PM.
- Do not alter too many rules at once. For example, there is no point in banning MK and then banning Rainbow and Brinstar at the same tourney, as that would not give us any helpful results.
- This system is not a way of dodging Unity Ruleset because you do not like one or two rules. We will be keeping track of all of the TOs and tourneys that run the rulesets. If a TO is trying to abuse the system, they will no longer be permitted to use it.

Suggested Ruleset Testing

Metaknight Banned
Brinstar and/or Rainbow Cruise Banned
2 or 1 stock matches with a different timer
5-9 stage starter lists
2 Stage Bans
Testing any of the following stages: Jungle Japes, Norfair, Pirate Ship, Green Greens, Port Town, Onett, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Luigi's Mansion, and Distant Planet
inb4mkbandiscussion

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Check it out everyone, version 1.4 is now released. The two main changes with this release is that Unity now applies to US and Canada, not just the US. Also the launch of the experimental ruleset system (which InferiorityComplex just posted about).

You can find all these changes now in the main thread. Experimental Rulesets is mentioned in the OP but has an entire post dedicated to it. A changelog has also been added so people can find what changed between each revision.

What is the full Unity Group list?

who is in it and who is not.
We are currently working on revising our members list. Some TOs are updated, some have yet to be added. Should be done within the week. However since you asked, the current membership is:

-AlphaZealot
-vVv ChiboSempai
-Bizkit
-Player-1
-t1mmy
-Today
-Xyro
-Tin Man
-T-Block
-M@v
-Delux
-UTDZac
-Z'zgashi
-Ran
-Yink
-Mike Haze
-Technical_Chase

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Suggested Ruleset Testing
Blah blah ruleset variations
These are suggested ways to test the ruleset, but theoretically any ruleset with a slight variation for testing purposes could be made "while still retaining the full benefits of a regular Unity Ruleset tourney", correct?

I mean I know that if only 1 of these tournaments was made to test (just some random example) the legality of Hanenbow, and the results weren't even very conclusive, you wouldn't bother to analyse the results. But if hundreds of these tournaments tested the legality of Hanenbow and the results showed that Hanenbow was a perfectly viable stage (not saying it is/isn't, again, just an example), the data would be taken into account even though it isn't in the Suggested Ruleset Testing list, correct?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Ideally yes V. We want to gather as much data as possible in order to make some sort of accurate conclusion based off of them. With Data to refer to, we can then make ruleset alterations that are more legitimate :).

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I highly approve of this new change.

Especially the first and last thing in that list.

*EDIT* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT MAYBE NOT just caught something

*EDIT2* Read it more closely, I understand now. Seems good.

What I don't seem to understand is that If a TO is trying to abuse the system, they will no longer be permitted to use it.

Lol, do we suddenly need permission to use the Unity Ruleset?

Another question. Say I wanted to host a series of MK banned tournaments with larger stage lists which otherwise use the Unity Ruleset. Would this be considered abusing the system? It's gathering valuable information. After all, if certain stages are made illegitimate by MK, and without him they are valid stages for competitive play, a tournament that simply has one or the other would not show this.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Cruxis had that tourney a little too early (that sentence has some nice rhythm)

On topic: This is really a great update. Experimentation is always good idea, and I'm sure this update will please a lot of people. Definitely a step in the right direction

Now I wait for JJ and Norfair :awesome:

Although they'll (if they will) be added in likely around March/April of next year, that isn't too long a wait.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Cruxis had that tourney a little too early (that sentence has some nice rhythm)

On topic: This is really a great update. Experimentation is always good idea, and I'm sure this update will please a lot of people. Definitely a step in the right direction

Now I wait for JJ and Norfair :awesome:

Although they'll (if they will) be added in likely around March/April of next year, that isn't too long a wait.
Durrr Japes is a bad stage for ZSS durrr why would you want that legal.

Just preparing you for the kind of arguments you're up against.

I just realized banned infinites aren't in that experiment post.

awwwwwwwwwwww...
awwwwwwwwwwwww...

Tin Man

Smash Hero

What I don't seem to understand is that If a TO is trying to abuse the system, they will no longer be permitted to use it.

Another question. Say I wanted to host a series of MK banned tournaments with larger stage lists which otherwise use the Unity Ruleset. Would this be considered abusing the system? It's gathering valuable information. After all, if certain stages are made illegitimate by MK, and without him they are valid stages for competitive play, a tournament that simply has one or the other would not show this.
Honestly bro, as long as your genuenly collecting data on each of those tournaments, then there shouldn't be a problem.

As for the permission side of things, the point of this is to collect data so that we can make wiser decisions on ruleset alterations, while allowing people to use the Unity label on they're tourneys. It's kinda like saying this ain't a unity tourney, but we still support it. But we don't want to be taken advantage of either, and just have people abuse the system.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

Permission on using experimental rulesets. Obviously anyone can use Unity, but you need clearance to use an altered ruleset under the experimental system.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord

As said, no. The "it" refers to the "system" earlier in the sentence. Using an Experimental Ruleset gives you the benefits of a regular Unity Ruleset tourney, so if a TO tries to abuse that to alter the ruleset for their own benefit and not for testing purposes, they would be disallowed from using using this system, but can still use Unity Ruleset.

We would discuss if this came up with a TO requesting, but I don't see a problem with it, since it is indeed a big argument that MK is the only reason stages like Norfair aren't legal. We prefer only one ruleset alternation per tourney, but in some cases, such as this, I personally wouldn't see a problem with it.

I just realized banned infinites aren't in that experiment post.

awwwwwwwwwwww...
Because banning infinites won't give us any sort of useful data that isn't already known. We already concluded way before Unity was released that it makes no sense to ban some infinites and not others, or to ban them all together.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
chibo - a Pm would of sufficed but I think the list should be more public. That way those in a specific region can know who to talk to about why or why not rules are made the way they are in the Unity ruleset.

TBH I think you guys should have some type of meeting every month or once a week. Invite causal/non Unity members to speak with you ( sorta like what Pierce did with the BBR ) either on Aim or Skype. Just talk about , and answer , why things are done the way they are and just overall better PR for the cause.

I like the addition of the experimental ruleset clause. It encourages TOs to try not rulesets out without being penalized. This should of been used before but its better late than never.

Overall very happy with the way things are going.

This is an exciting update, I want to see how things pan out from here on out, but for now, good job guys!

Now, go test Norfair. NOW! :mad:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
strife the member list is public, just outdated
we're collecting everyones info now to update it this week

we have weekly meetings now, perhaps others coming in in the future may be possible

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm definitely interested in seeing the results of some experimental tournaments banning them. However to put things in perspective, LIRR and KTAR 6 both banned Brinstar and not much seemed to change overall.

Top Bottom