• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My family is a cavalcade of idiocy, and blind, illogical, relentless faith in their beliefs, irrespective of how dreadfully incorrect they are. And anyone who doesn't share their exact ideals, well, something must be DREADFULLY wrong with them. Me included. Independence is the only thing that really matters in life, isn't it.
All my life I've had to sacrifice everything, including my independence to try and build my future

I guess that is what really matters, because I feel empty

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
It's constant hate, I don't link stuff anymore other than things not pony and they automatically assume it's a trap and give me bull. I don't talk to anyone in Teamspeak anymore... I learned my lesson early. It just makes me even lonelier than I was before... Plus I can't find a brony TS server... The search continues....
You could just change your avatar to something else. I'm sure you like other stuff besides MLP.

Smash Master
I'm prying my eyes open at work. It makes no sense. Even crippled hobos can have sleep. Maybe it's a tradeoff. I can have sleep or shelter, but not both. Not sure I'd rather have the latter though tbh.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I neeed to start drawing again.

I have no motivation

rsr2

Smash Lord
My girlfriend and I broke up today after dating for almost 11 months. It hasn't really set in yet.......

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It will sink in when it's back to datng your hand.

Smash Lord
I have a fever. And the only prescription is not more cowbell.

On another note, I think I might have noticed something interesting. I noticed I had a fever because my thought processes were slowing down a bit/not being able to keep up with games mentally. The weird part is that the last few times that I've come down with something, this is how I usually notice more so than any kind of physical sensation. Is anyone else like this?

Jasou

Smash Ace
I have a fever. And the only prescription is not more cowbell.

On another note, I think I might have noticed something interesting. I noticed I had a fever because my thought processes were slowing down a bit/not being able to keep up with games mentally. The weird part is that the last few times that I've come down with something, this is how I usually notice more so than any kind of physical sensation. Is anyone else like this?
It gets me too, I've heard it effects a lot of gamers.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
my spring break is OVER

;_____;

@quote: yeah I think that's like the only way I know I'm sick for sure.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
What a more fitting room for me to be right now.

Basically, I apply for something I've wanted for so long, and I'm indefinitely qualified for it.

My friend tells me I got the job and seriously hypes me up for 2 days, this was my 5th time applying and I wasn't going to be denied this time. I wake up this morning and see he got the job instead, and I was rejected merely because the boss didn't like me enough, despite my qualifications. He got the job instead because he shared a beer with him.

Life sucks.

lalala OH nanana

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Today Show said today that the top 5 useless majors are.....

Well okay. So you don't want any cameramen? Or people to do designs for the show? No graphic designers or people to build your expensive houses? No actors to entertain you or fill your show? No ads? No plays? NO ART?

I'd like to see you people try, Today Show people. And you're lucky to still have your design team and cameramen, jerks :< sorry that us art students are so "useless"
D:<<<<<<

:phone:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The callout on Mickey Mouse degrees, or so they call them here anyway.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Well okay. So you don't want any cameramen? Or people to do designs for the show? No graphic designers or people to build your expensive houses? No actors to entertain you or fill your show? No ads? No plays? NO ART?

I'd like to see you people try, Today Show people. And you're lucky to still have your design team and cameramen, jerks :< sorry that us art students are so "useless"

Looking around town, it seems a lot of people would rather make crappy, unprofessional designs by themselves than hire someone that could do it right.

Sometimes, even if doing it right is something even a first year design student could do better than what turns out

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Going to art school doesn't make someone an artist, and art degrees are not synonymous with art.

Also, I'm pretty sure they are talking about financial usefulness. There are not many jobs in "art" compared to more practical and specific degrees.

the "architecture" one surprised me, but then I thought about it and I guess it makes sense. Who's gonna be hiring architects to design buildings that nobody can afford to buy in today's economy?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
If given the chance then tomorrow, I'm going to have to mention(has to come out eventually, they'll see me walking) that I don't have a reliable car right now and I'm walking to work. I just hope this doesn't cause problems for me. Everything would just be so perfect if I could keep this job.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
the "architecture" one surprised me, but then I thought about it and I guess it makes sense. Who's gonna be hiring architects to design buildings that nobody can afford to buy in today's economy?
Basically the story with my dad LOL

Smash Lord
I fell out with one of my friends really hard yesterday. I was performing at a jazz festival. I choked really hard again when I was exposed as ****. I tried my best to do what I can to not look as bad. This was advice given to me the last time I went so I thought it was the right thing to do. After the performance he said "What was that?" so I try to tell him what I was doing. He hammers me for not playing what was on the page. I kept trying to get him to listen to what I was trying to say and he wouldn't hear any of it, and he was been a ******* about not listening. I had to stop myself from cussing him out. I managed to hold back one F-bomb. The rest I just couldn't hold back. The whole time, my college's instructor was there. The fact that he was there was just about as fortunate as it was unfortunate. He's the only reason my friend didn't have a black eye then and there. On the bad side of things, I think that I have lost any and all favor I previously had with this instructor. Somehow I managed to see the futility of the situation and walked away somehow, absolutely destraught.

I started to walk around the school after this. I needed to talk to somebody. So I spent about an hour and a half trying to find out if the school had some kind of psychologist I could see. I checked to see if my psychology professor was on campus. That was a no. I went to the information desk to see if there was anyone I could talk to that fit that description. They tried their best to find people, but in the end, between running conferences, people who aren't qualified etc. the best I could do was send in paperwork and call a facility that the school had ties with. I tried to set up an appointment. My two options were later that day during another performance, and about two weeks later. Neither one would be relevant time-wise. So I gave up.

Since I had another performance yet to go within about an hour. I just walked around for the next hour or so on campus. This might have been the worst part, because I was feeling all the psychological damage at this point but I can't react the way that I want because I am in public. I wanted to cry. I probably did. But only to the point that there were tears. It felt horrible. I was robbed of my ability to express my emotions. I kept running through all the worst things in my head. I didn't know how I would be able to repair my friendship. How was this going to affect my relationship with my instructor, the rest of the members of the band? Was I going to lose my scholarship?

The rest of the day. I flat out could not function. My playing was less than subpar. Socially, I couldn't really respond to anyone. I had to force myself to eat since I didn't really have an appetite. I did my best to fake everything until the end of the day. It was hard to do. It hurt.

When I got home, I went to sleep as soon as I could. It helped. But ever since then, I've spent the last day and a half obsessing over how to repair things. It's been hard to put anything together. Any plan I put together seems to inevitably turn into outward forms of rage towards my friend. I didn't go to school today because I don't know what to do.

Please talk to me. Talk me through this and what to do. I am desperate.

I need help.

Jasou

Smash Ace
Well, it seems like you really care about what you do. It also seems that you really care for your friends. I can relate to that on an unhealthy level at times. I'm not a psychologist, but I can understand some of your pain.

I hope you can get good help though, good luck.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
The thing with music is that you will never have a perfect concert. People will choke and make mistakes. Was the mistake you made really that bad? I don't think one mistake could ruin a whole festival of music (if I understand what you're trying to say with Festival).

Do you think your instructor hasn't heard this before? I'm more than sure that a lot of people have not only messed up during performances, but have argued in front of him before. cursing or not. I really doubt you're going to lose a scholorship unless it starts to happen more and more.

Do you have an issue with performing in front of a large group of people? If that's the case, I'd try to fix that more than anything else. If this person sees improvement in that, then things will probably even out eventually. If they don't, then you don't really need this person as a friend either way. I could understand what he was doing if he was trying to get you aggravated and if he thought you could turn aggravation into motivation to learn. Do you know what his purpose was for yelling at you?

Has he done this to you before?

I hope you can get professional help soon if you haven't already! Good luck!

\KILLER/

Jasou

Smash Ace
Tournament predictons always psyche me out in tournies. It really affects my level of play. I just wish I could play my best like I do in friendlies.

and not to mention i'm already uneasy in tournament settings. ._.

Smash Lord
The thing with music is that you will never have a perfect concert. People will choke and make mistakes. Was the mistake you made really that bad? I don't think one mistake could ruin a whole festival of music (if I understand what you're trying to say with Festival).

Do you think your instructor hasn't heard this before? I'm more than sure that a lot of people have not only messed up during performances, but have argued in front of him before. cursing or not. I really doubt you're going to lose a scholorship unless it starts to happen more and more.

Do you have an issue with performing in front of a large group of people? If that's the case, I'd try to fix that more than anything else. If this person sees improvement in that, then things will probably even out eventually. If they don't, then you don't really need this person as a friend either way. I could understand what he was doing if he was trying to get you aggravated and if he thought you could turn aggravation into motivation to learn. Do you know what his purpose was for yelling at you?

Has he done this to you before?

I hope you can get professional help soon if you haven't already! Good luck!

\KILLER/
Well it was definitely more than one mistake. It was more than significant. I felt really bad about it even before he said something.

I think that you are right. I do have an issue with playing in front of people. I really don't know how to address this though.

He hasn't gone off on me like this before. He may have gotten frustrated but not to this extent.

How should I talk to him next Monday?

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
This is your friend, right?

Talk to him like nothing happened. Don't bring it up. If he brings it up and acts aggravated towards you for it, Apologize and ask him for advice. Show him that you know what caused it (stage fright in essence), and show that you don't know how to fix it. If you present to him a situation in which this whole accident can repeat himself, then the only thing he can do is either shrug you off, yell at you more, or help you. If he thinks you're joking, make it obvious that you're not. Give him other examples of you messing up during performances.

Stage fright isn't rare or anything. Sure, some people don't have it. It's not rare in any way, shape, or form, though. A lot of people get nervous before concerts. However, people usually get over this at some point after either performing in front of crowds repeatedly to the point where they don't even notice it, or after learning some trick to get over their fear. I'd tell you mine, but I haven't gotten over it completely myself.

I have, however, had experiences with things that have lowered stress tremendously and have in general lowered my mistakes in performances.

First off, go in knowing that you'll probably make a mistake. It's a live concert. It doesn't have to be perfect. It won't be. Stressing out to make it perfect will ruin it way more than going into it knowing you'll make a few minor errors.

Second... This next one only applies if you have a family that has been to your performances before, and has enjoyed them thoroughly... If this is the case, look for them in the crowd before the performance. Play for them, not for the rest of the crowd. They're going to like it regardless of what you're doing on stage. You could be tap dancing and they would be laughing and enjoying the performance. It doesn't matter what you do if they're going to love it regardless. I'm not saying that you should just play whatever... but your parents will love the performance regardless! So focus on them! If your parents aren't going, replace it with anyone else that fits this. I'm sure that there is at least one person that you can think of when it really comes down to it.

Those were the two things that lowered my mistakes in performances. I hope at least one of them can apply to you to help somewhat.

There are a lot of musicians on the internet. Talk to a few of them and ask how they got over it. I'm pretty sure you could make a blog on here titled "Attention Musicians: Seeking Help" and you would get at least a few responses.

I'm assuming you're in a college or university with these problems. Sorry that I can't really help with that. Still only a Junior in high school :/. I don't know how intense performances really are in college. However, I do know that in general, not only are you going to make mistakes, but you're going to have bad performances as well. This is just one of those bad performances. The best way to recover from it is to just realize that it was a bad performance. Look at the day of your next performance, see how far away it is from now, and practice your music like no other. If you go in confident that you'll play your music, it usually ends in better results.

I hope this is helping somewhat @_@'. Sorry if I'm repeating things as well. Really tired haha.

Good luck, sir! I hope things go well!

\KILLER/

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I fail at UVW Unwrapping....and I made my model too intricate for a beginner like myself to unwrap ;____; best part is the fact that it's only 600 polys when the max was 5000
And it's still too complicated ;_____; I hate 3d sometimes
Cant I just skip 3ds max and move onto zbrush = 3= (and no i can't xD)

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I have no idea what any of that was, but you're amazing Lokii and good luck! O_O

@Jasou: Put money on the line in friendlies. Make it open (if the venue allows it) that you're money matching. If you do it repeatedly (use small $ amounts), then you'll start to get over any tournament anxiety.

Or just play in a lot more tournaments in general.

That's how I got over it haha.

Jasou

Smash Ace
I have no idea what any of that was, but you're amazing Lokii and good luck! O_O

@Jasou: Put money on the line in friendlies. Make it open (if the venue allows it) that you're money matching. If you do it repeatedly (use small $ amounts), then you'll start to get over any tournament anxiety.

Or just play in a lot more tournaments in general.

That's how I got over it haha.
That actually sounds like a great idea. Thanks! I'll try it :)

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Really upset with myself right now, I wasted most of my evening doing idiocy. I'm going to lose my part time job unless I start taking it seriously again. I wanted to go to work tomorrow fresh with a lot of sleep, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen now.

Smash Master
If someone gave me a choice in the morning between going to work and lighting myself on fire for the same pay, I'd choose the latter.

Smash Lord
This is your friend, right?

Talk to him like nothing happened. Don't bring it up. If he brings it up and acts aggravated towards you for it, Apologize and ask him for advice. Show him that you know what caused it (stage fright in essence), and show that you don't know how to fix it. If you present to him a situation in which this whole accident can repeat himself, then the only thing he can do is either shrug you off, yell at you more, or help you. If he thinks you're joking, make it obvious that you're not. Give him other examples of you messing up during performances.

Stage fright isn't rare or anything. Sure, some people don't have it. It's not rare in any way, shape, or form, though. A lot of people get nervous before concerts. However, people usually get over this at some point after either performing in front of crowds repeatedly to the point where they don't even notice it, or after learning some trick to get over their fear. I'd tell you mine, but I haven't gotten over it completely myself.

I have, however, had experiences with things that have lowered stress tremendously and have in general lowered my mistakes in performances.

First off, go in knowing that you'll probably make a mistake. It's a live concert. It doesn't have to be perfect. It won't be. Stressing out to make it perfect will ruin it way more than going into it knowing you'll make a few minor errors.

Second... This next one only applies if you have a family that has been to your performances before, and has enjoyed them thoroughly... If this is the case, look for them in the crowd before the performance. Play for them, not for the rest of the crowd. They're going to like it regardless of what you're doing on stage. You could be tap dancing and they would be laughing and enjoying the performance. It doesn't matter what you do if they're going to love it regardless. I'm not saying that you should just play whatever... but your parents will love the performance regardless! So focus on them! If your parents aren't going, replace it with anyone else that fits this. I'm sure that there is at least one person that you can think of when it really comes down to it.

Those were the two things that lowered my mistakes in performances. I hope at least one of them can apply to you to help somewhat.

There are a lot of musicians on the internet. Talk to a few of them and ask how they got over it. I'm pretty sure you could make a blog on here titled "Attention Musicians: Seeking Help" and you would get at least a few responses.

I'm assuming you're in a college or university with these problems. Sorry that I can't really help with that. Still only a Junior in high school :/. I don't know how intense performances really are in college. However, I do know that in general, not only are you going to make mistakes, but you're going to have bad performances as well. This is just one of those bad performances. The best way to recover from it is to just realize that it was a bad performance. Look at the day of your next performance, see how far away it is from now, and practice your music like no other. If you go in confident that you'll play your music, it usually ends in better results.

I hope this is helping somewhat @_@'. Sorry if I'm repeating things as well. Really tired haha.

Good luck, sir! I hope things go well!

\KILLER/
Today I did pretty much all of this. Things got cleared up between me and him without hostility. About the only difference was that it was me that brought things up. I'm still a little mentally rattled, but I'm hoping that time will clear that up.

I have another performance today. I'll take your advice. I think that some of my folks will be there.

Thanks for all the input. All of it helped.

Vash the Stampede

Smash Rookie
Unhappy with what I'm doing with my life.
Wish it was possible for people to make impressions on the world with a purposeful intention.
Hoping to throw some effort together through my currently dark state.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Today I did pretty much all of this. Things got cleared up between me and him without hostility. About the only difference was that it was me that brought things up. I'm still a little mentally rattled, but I'm hoping that time will clear that up.

I have another performance today. I'll take your advice. I think that some of my folks will be there.

Thanks for all the input. All of it helped.
I'm glad things are working out! Did he give you any other tips for getting over stage-freight?

I really hope the performance goes well! ^_^.

Unhappy with what I'm doing with my life.
Wish it was possible for people to make impressions on the world with a purposeful intention.
Hoping to throw some effort together through my currently dark state.
I know this feel way too well... ._.

Community service is a great way to get over this feeling though based on what I've experienced. (I haven't done much personally, but through communicating with others and the few experiences with it I do have... it's more than worth everything you put into it) Are there any groups out there that are doing any community service-esque things that you could possibly join in on? It'd probably help with this feeling knowing that you've impacted people's lives tremendously by helping out through the community, no matter what the project is.

This is, of course, assuming that you don't do community service normally. Sorry for assuming this if it isn't the case.

Smash Lord
I'm glad things are working out! Did he give you any other tips for getting over stage-freight?

I really hope the performance goes well! ^_^.
It did. I actually got quite a few compliments.

He talked about the whole poker face kind of thing. The gist of one of the things he said was that it's what happens afterword (facial expressions, body language, etc.) that determines whether or not the audience knows that I screwed up.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I'm really upset with myself and just life in general.

My client for my parttime job gave me a raise late last week, and told me how I've proven to be a reliable worker. But this week I've proven the opposite, I still haven't been able to complete a project I said I would be done with over the weekend. Ever since I got myself that fulltime job, I just haven't taken this part-time job serious anymore, which is ******** because there is so much potential growth in this job, and I could definitely used the extra cash.

I really angry with myself for being so lazy, negligent and stupid. And what's worse is that I'm only like this part of the time, half of the time I really care about the job and I want to make an effort and other times I just don't care. Which is the story of my whole miserable life. I may lose my parttime job because of this since we may miss the deadline for our current project.

This sucks but maybe it needs to be a hard lesson learned. I have never been fired from anything before.

New edit
Looks like I've rescued my part time job(yay!), my supervisor at my full time job told today that I can't be using company resources to assist with my other job, even during lunch time. And I feel like an idiot for him to have to tell me. Not a problem though, I just won't do it in the future.

Things are ok right now.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I didn't realize so few people posted in this thread.

Well I just had my second Asian girl and I'm disappointed. The first one felt so incredible that I thought they'd all be amazing. She wasn't bad, but nothing that good either. Maybe her face being unattractive had something to do with it. Wasn't worth the resources I put into it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't realize so few people posted in this thread.

Well I just had my second Asian girl and I'm disappointed. The first one felt so incredible that I thought they'd all be amazing. She wasn't bad, but nothing that good either. Maybe her face being unattractive had something to do with it. Wasn't worth the resources I put into it.
I am disturbed by you

Let's just assume ALL his posts are about drugs from now on

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I am disturbed by you

Let's just assume ALL his posts are about drugs from now on
I thought as long as I wasn't explicit I could post whatever I want, I'll be more careful about that from now on.

Also I don't do drugs. So none of my posts will be about drugs.

Top Bottom