• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The top ten best Game Cube exclusives

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=2651]The top ten best Game Cube exclusives[/drupal]

Wow the Use Blogs has been in a pretty depressing state lately, with the amount of blogs talking about how much life sucks and such. So I'm going to do my best to lighten things up with a little nostalgia. I love the Game Cube (if that wasn't made obvious back in my retrospect on the system), the only reason why people hated on it is for one of two reasons: either because they just passed it off as a kiddie system (because we all know how mature excessive gore and nudity is, eh, God of War?) or because older games found that some of their dear franchises had gotten to "different" for them (WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE STAR FOX ASSAULT!?). Either way, if you're willing to let Nintendo actually try and do something new rather than just pump out the same game year after year then you were in for a ride. As yet another tribute to my first Nintendo console, I present the Top Ten Best Game Cube Exclusives. Now remember, this is all opinion based so don't go nuts if one of your favorites isn't on the list. If it isn't there, it's because I either never played it, didn't like it, or didn't like it enough to put in the top ten.

10: Star Fox Assault

WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE THIS GAME!? Okay, so the story was one big rip-off of the Borg Saga from Star Trek and the multiplayer needed some serious balancing but it was still good. The multiplayer was a huge step above what Star Fox 64 had to offer, the space battles were much more interesting then they were in Star Fox 64 (would you be surprised if I told you I didn't buy a Nintendo 64 until after I bought my Game Cube?) and the ground parts were indeed good. People did not give this game a chance, nor are they willing to let go of the idea that Star Fox can apparently only be in an Arwing.

9: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

You know you've done something right when you make a strategy game that I get some enjoyment out of. Path of Radiance was the first Fire Emblem game that I've ever played, and it was fun. Okay, so you got loaded down with a few weak-sauce units (Oscar, I'm looking at you) but still, if you're willing to take the time to think strategically watching enemy forces fall to your superior human intellect is pretty satisfying. Fun, straightforward and always making you think, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is well worth the time and money if you can find it.

8: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

I think I've already told you about how totally awesome this game is to the point where you can just skip this paragraph, but I'll give a summary of my thoughts for those of you who don't know what I see in this game. No story, no reason, nothing but DK and some good old classic platforming action which creates the most underrated game to ever be put on a system.

7: Mario Party 4

I consider this to be the best installment in the Mario Party franchise and the last good one (although I haven't played Mario Party 3 yet). I have no idea how many hours my friends and I poured into this game, but I really wanted to cry when I got that disk-read error message and had no way to fix the disk at the time. The game had a wide verity of game boards and some great mini-games along with an interesting playable cast without getting to the point where almost everyone in the Mario universe is playable. I really wish I could find a copy of this game again...

6: Kirby Air Ride

The single most critically bashed game on this list, but is also one of the most underrated. What did people hate about this game? For one thing, most didn't like the fact that you only use the control stick and the A button for game play. But that's why it's so **** perfect, you don't have to spend precious time explaining the controls to new comers because of how easy it is to pick-up-and-play. And City Trial was a blast, my friends and I put more time into this than Mario Party 4 and Star Fox Assault combined.

5: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Most people hated this game because of the graphics, or maybe its because of the amount of mood wiplash this game has, being made after Majora's Mask and all (why wasn't MM rated T again?). But if you're smart enough to look past graphics and style, you'll find that this game is one of the best in the Zelda series for several reasons. If you're willing to take the time to actually explore the Great Sea then you'll run into some interesting places and people, the dungeons in this game are not only inventive, but they're massive in scale. Oh yeah, and the King of the Red Lions was a much cooler helper character than anyone else Link's dragged with him on his adventures. The only reason why this game isn't higher on the list is because of the **** Triforce hunt at the end of the game. And the fact that Tingle's in it... I hate that man.

4: Super Mario Sunshine

It's better than Mario 64, and it's a tad hated by some. I don't know why, but I found this game much better than Mario 64, and I played Mario 64 first. To be honest, Fluud was an interesting gameplay addition and the levels were much more thought out and original than in Mario 64 (although nothing beats the originality of big-small world). One thing I love is how it is so much easier to figure out exactly what you're supposed to be doing in Mario Sunshine than it was in Mario 64. But that aside, by its own merits the platforming is great and the world inventive. A true classic if I've ever seen one.

3: Super Smash Brothers Melee

Do I really need to say anything?

2: Metroid Prime

This game is awesome. Just plain and simple, it's awesome. This game got going from 2D to 3D right by adding in tons of great 3D elements while still keeping the elements that made the originals the games that they were. And the atmosphere... oh man the atmosphere... no matter where you are the feelings that you get there just fit perfectly and the graphics... oh God the graphics... this was one of the early Game Cube titles and still manged to look like one of the later ones. If you own a Game Cube and don't have Metroid Prime, then you sir, should go buy a copy.

1: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I did not play the original Paper Mario until it came onto the Virtual Console, so I had no idea what to expect when I carried my copy of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door home. But what I did get was well worth all of the money I had on that Best Buy gift card because PM: TYD is a barrel of monkeys. Great humor, fun, fun, fun game play and story, this is a game that deserves the title of "best Game Cube exclusive."

Well, there you go. What I consider to best exclusives to ever hit the Game Cube. And before anyone asks why ToS wasn't on there it's because I didn't like the game, at all. So with that said, Good night everybody!

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=2651]The top ten best Game Cube exclusives[/drupal]
5: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
4: Super Mario Sunshine
3: Super Smash Brothers Melee
2: Metroid Prime
1: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
I like your top 5 but not the order, you also don't have RE4 on your list. That game is amazing.

5. Metroid Prime
4. Paper Mario
3. Mario Sunshine- this game needs a sequel or something and this was NOT better than 64. that's a TRUE classic. This was a refreshing break from the norm but it looks like they aren't going back cause now they're using mario galaxy :(
2. Wind Waker
1. MELEE

finalark

SNORLAX
I like your top 5 but not the order, you also don't have RE4 on your list. That game is amazing.

5. Metroid Prime
4. Paper Mario
3. Mario Sunshine- this game needs a sequel or something and this was NOT better than 64. that's a TRUE classic. This was a refreshing break from the norm but it looks like they aren't going back cause now they're using mario galaxy :(
2. Wind Waker
1. MELEE
Resident Evil 4 wasn't a Game Cube exclusive. Oh yes, and I found Sunshine to be much, much beter than 64 because I found the levels to be much more inventive (I was not a fan of the end-game Mario 64 levels) and it was really, really nice to know exactly what you're supposed to be doing right off the bat rather than wandering around for about an hour each time you've entered the level, using only the name of the stage as a hint. Also, Melee is good, but it really wasn't the Game Cube's best, seeing how on a critical level I'd give the game only about a 7/10 (above average). Other than that, nice list.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Resident Evil 4 wasn't a Game Cube exclusive. Oh yes, and I found Sunshine to be much, much beter than 64 because I found the levels to be much more inventive (I was not a fan of the end-game Mario 64 levels) and it was really, really nice to know exactly what you're supposed to be doing right off the bat rather than wandering around for about an hour each time you've entered the level, using only the name of the stage as a hint. Also, Melee is good, but it really wasn't the Game Cube's best, seeing how on a critical level I'd give the game only about a 7/10 (above average). Other than that, nice list.
melee was groundbreaking at it's time. Those graphics were sooo good back then lol.
oh I forgot RE wasn't gamecube exclusive

sunshine is great but it's not 64 unfortunately
64 is to mario, what Ocarina of Time is to zelda

finalark

SNORLAX
melee was groundbreaking at it's time. Those graphics were sooo good back then lol.
oh I forgot RE wasn't gamecube exclusive

sunshine is great but it's not 64 unfortunately
64 is to mario, what Ocarina of Time is to zelda
"at it's time." I am not a fan of those words, in my book, a truely great game doesn't need those words to excuse its flaws and can still stand up today as well as it did back then.

Also, I think the reason why everyone worships Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 was only because of the initial "wow factor" of the fact that there were the first 3D Mario and Zelda games. I swear, if people were just able to let go of that and actually examined them on a critical level....

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
"at it's time." I am not a fan of those words, in my book, a truely great game doesn't need those words to excuse its flaws and can still stand up today as well as it did back then.

Also, I think the reason why everyone worships Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 was only because of the initial "wow factor" of the fact that there were the first 3D Mario and Zelda games. I swear, if people were just able to let go of that and actually examined them on a critical level....
lol that was just an example. You do realize that Ocarina of time is often reviewed as the greatest game of all time right? 64 isn't that far behind. On a critical level those two games are better than every game on your list combined.

Underload

Lazy
No, Melee wasn't really groundbreaking graphics-wise at all. You're just making things up to prove your point.

And don't speak through nostalgia, that'll really fog your better logic. Mario 64 may be nostalgic to someone, but when you think about it, Sunshine improves on everything 64 lacked and adds onto the things that made 64 good.

This is getting VERY off topic VERY quickly.

finalark

SNORLAX
lol that was just an example. You do realize that Ocarina of time is often reviewed as the greatest game of all time right? 64 isn't that far behind. On a critical level those two games are better than every game on your list
No, Melee wasn't really groundbreaking graphics-wise at all. You're just making things up to prove your point.

And don't speak through nostalgia, that'll really fog your better logic. Mario 64 may be nostalgic to someone, but when you think about it, Sunshine improves on everything 64 lacked and adds onto the things that made 64 good.
This man just said everything I wanted to say. Seriously, who cares if it called one of the greatest games of all time? Look at it critically rather than "OMG GAMESPOT SAID THIS GAME IS GOD."

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
lol that was just an example. You do realize that Ocarina of time is often reviewed as the greatest game of all time right? 64 isn't that far behind. On a critical level those two games are better than every game on your list combined.
I think you'd have to be living under a rock to be a gamer and not know how inevitable it is for Ocarina of Time to be number one on any "greatest games of all time" list.

But I personally think a lot of that is nostalgia, as I have a lot of trouble getting into it myself. I know many Zelda fans even prefer Majora's Mask (from what I've played of that, I think I actually like it better...though my final judgments are reserved until I've beaten both of them.) There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, it just has no relevance on a critical level.

And I love Mario 64, but I think I like Sunshine a tad more.

You really shouldn't try to turn this into a "YOU'RE WRONG" thread, because finalark already said it's an opinion, and this is NOT about N64 games, it's about GameCube exclusives. There are differing opinions, no matter how widespread opinions are about 64 and OoT.

That said, this is a great list. I personally disagree on Melee (not graphics-wise, who really gives a crap about those anyways), but that's the only one I would make any change about because I have trouble coming up with lists like this and I think you did a very good job compiling one.

And the way you talk about Jungle Beat makes me wonder if I've misjudged it...well, no doubt I have, since I've never even touched it. The bongos just seemed too gimmicky to me. I ought to pick up a pair of the bongos for myself anyways, maybe I should get both at once...
(And no, I'm not picking up the NPC version.)

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
I think melee should be a little bit lower on the list, but it depends how you are ranking these.
Are you ranking them for what impact they left on you, or any magical moments that happened within that game, or are you ranking them for overall fun? Say you had to play all of these games by yourself, then what?

<3 sunshine,
don't know why my brothers all hated it :[

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Fixed your post for ya.

There was nothing critical about the points you made, just opinion and nostalgia turning loose.
not trying to take it off topic. Those games are amazing and many reviews have stated those to be the best games ever. I PREFER sunshine to 64, I'm just stating what i've seen before because the op implied that those were bad games.

Back on topic I posted my list and it was made of my opinions, as was his list. I don't know if melee is actually the best game on a critical level. I just love the game play. :

EDIT: <3 Firius and Victra
I don't want to turn this into a "you're wrong" thread but Firius basically said what I was trying to say for me

Underload

Lazy
Yeah, compare the Nintendo 64's graphics to the Gamecube's graphics. That's not biased at all.

Look at other games that came out around the time of Melee, mainly Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime. Much nicer looking, at least IN MY OPINION.

And I totally agree with you, Logan :) Now hopefully this topic can get back on topic :/

finalark

SNORLAX
I think melee should be a little bit lower on the list, but it depends how you are ranking these.
Are you ranking them for what impact they left on you, or any magical moments that happened within that game, or are you ranking them for overall fun? Say you had to play all of these games by yourself, then what?

<3 sunshine,
don't know why my brothers all hated it :[
All of those in combination, in other words, I compiled the list based off of which games I found to be the most fufulling experiances. And if I had judged them soley off of my experiances that I had playing them on my own... well, who plays Mario Party by themselves anyway?

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
good ish underload :p
btw Prime came out almost 2 years after melee...just saying:)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Somewhat. But you can't say that OoT was still a very good game. Imo, MM was a "better" game, but... meh most people dislike MM (and I can't understand why... the deepest all around than any other Zelda, harder than any of the 3D Zelda's (not that difficult, but not so easy that you have to kill yourself just to see what the game over screen looks like for TWW and TP). It's just an amazing game).

...lol@someone saying Melee is 7/10 on Smashboards...

Imo my top 5:
Super Mario Sunshine (I just got this game recently and haven't actually finished it yet, but it is quite good so far and definitely top 5. Although because I haven't beaten it yet I won't give it a definite place in my top 5 GC games)
4. Metroid Prime
3. Paper Mario
2. Wind Waker
1. Melee

Wow I'm so original... /sarcasm

finalark

SNORLAX
Somewhat. But you can't say that OoT was still a very good game.

...lol@someone saying Melee is 7/10 on Smashboards...

No offence, but most people usually asume that I'm saying that OoT was bad when I say something was better than it. I actually really liked OoT, just not as much as most others.

And just became I'm a Smash nut doesn't mean I'm incapable dropping my fanboyism and getting into critic mode....

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Starfox Assault was meh. Mario Party 3 was so much better than 4. Super Mario Sunshine sucked. Kirby Air Ride sucked. Of course thats just my opinion...

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I quite like this list tbh. I love the Gamecube - my first gaming experiences were on it, and I played alot of the games that came out on it.

I think my list'd have a bit of a different order based on how I, myself, enjoyed the games. Paper Mario TTYD was the truly spectacular, I agree. I've played and replayed it over and over and over. And WW and Mario Sunshine were also amazing games. Super Mario Sunshine is probably one of my all-time favorite Marios, probably even my #1 (and I don't really like Mario much anymore). And Wind Waker was the beginning of a new way to enjoy Zelda. I still replay WW (and TP) and have fun doing so.

I think I'd also put Pikmin 2 on there myself. I beat every ounce of that game, wasted days of my life building my little army of Pikmin, and had the best time of my life lol. I love the worlds and enemies and treasure-hunting.

PoR was such an epic FE - better than RD. RD just has better graphics and more characters. I was thrilled by the plot and gameplay of Radiance, and Ike was actually cool there. There weren't all the Laguz kings that broke the game in RD. :D PoR was probably the single Gamecube game I replayed more than any other.

Kirby Air Ride. Fun stuff. One of the best multi-players in all of the GC's library imo.

This is really, really strange, but I've actually never played a Metroid game before (except for the original on my Game Boy). Horrible, isn't it?

Anyways, I like your list, and this blog. Here's my top five or six:

- Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door.
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
- Pikmin 2
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- Kirby Air Ride

I wasn't competitively playing Melee, and not many of my friends really enjoyed it, so its not THAT high on my list.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
If you want...

Starfox Assault was good the first playthrough but it was sooooo short...and after I beat it once I didn't feel motivated enough to beat it again. The on-ground parts were lacking and the multiplayer needed balance. Pick Wolf, you win.

Mario Party 4's minigames were nowhere near as good as 3's. Its items sucked too and the boards were meh.

Sunshine...ok I admit it didn't suck completely but didn't do for me what 64 did. Glitchy cameras and the whole gimmick of having to clean up s**t with a portable hose/jetpack didn't fly with me.

Kirby Air Ride.....lol. It was fun for a day or 2. I forget what else I didn't like about it...

finalark

SNORLAX
If you want...

Starfox Assault was good the first playthrough but it was sooooo short...and after I beat it once I didn't feel motivated enough to beat it again. The on-ground parts were lacking and the multiplayer needed balance. Pick Wolf, you win.

Mario Party 4's minigames were nowhere near as good as 3's. Its items sucked too and the boards were meh.

Sunshine...ok I admit it didn't suck completely but didn't do for me what 64 did. Glitchy cameras and the whole gimmick of having to clean up s**t with a portable hose/jetpack didn't fly with me.

Kirby Air Ride.....lol. It was fun for a day or 2. I forget what else I didn't like about it...
Meh, good enough for me. As I said, I never played three so... yeah. And Kirby Air Ride... did you ever play that with a group of friends? It really is a party game more than anything else.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* this topic makes me regret not buying more gamecube games long time ago :(
I played SSBM though. But i have not played Sunshine, Medroid Prime, Pikmin, Zelda WW, etc

Oh well. Maybe i should find and play them right now :psycho:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Of course, everyone's played Melee. Your list is lacking some F-Zero GX...that was probably my favorite GC game behind Melee.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I haven't played too many GC games but my top five:

5. Pikmin
4. Double Dash
3. Mario Strikers
2. F-Zero GX
1. Melee

I've never played Pikmin 2, but I've heard great things! Resident Evil 4 would be up there, but it's not an exclusive GC game! Ikaruga would be there as well, but it was originally Dreamcast (Japan)!

REL38

Smash Lord
The Gamecube was such a good system during its time . . . so many awesome games.

I would only add Pikmin 2 and Metroid Prime: Echoes.

Pikmin 2 was suuuuuch a good game!
It was something unique and different that I fondly enjoyed. Awesome, calm envirnoments, wacky enemies, underground levels and (my favourite) the treasure/creature logs.

The treasure log revealed the character behind Olimar and gave him a personality, something Nintendo rarely does. It revealed some of the main characters experiences in attaining said treasure and what was going through his head, at the time. It was just something I heavily enjoyed since I could actually relate to the character. It's one of my favourite video games of all time due to this.

Metroid Prime: Echoes was just more immersive and unique IMO. The small changes from Light to Dark Aether were subtle enough to make it seem like two very distinct worlds. The fact that you're helping out a dying race of aliens kinda gave me more incentive and an emotional draw towards the game itself. Prime pretty much just had you focusing on leaving the planet :/
At least it did for me . . .

Kirby Air Ride is easily one of the best games for the Gamecube.

City Trial was where it was at. Simple controls and fun competition made that game gold.
I'd always aim to break my friends machines and steal their hard earned bonuses.

justaway12

Smash Master
I guess we'll look at a n00bs perseptive :p

Sonic Adventure DX: I don't know why people hate 3D sonic games, I actually like a couple: Sonic Heros, Sonic and the Secret Rings etc. anyway, I did like this game it was pretty fun, I just generally like these sort of adventure games, story wasn't bad, I actually love just randomally running around IMO (<3 speed), the gameplay wasn't that bad either. The other characters were a lot of fun as well, I felt like I could replay it with all the characters. I don't care what anyone says, Big the Cat wasn't THAT bad >: (
EDIT:Oh and Music = <3 Retract that statement >_>
I know there is something important to add to this, but I forgot >_>

Forget about that, change it with Luigi's Mansion

Mario Party 5: This is actually my first Mario party so I can't compare it to any other except 8, I really liked it, the mini games were fun, I hated how random it was, but very good with friends/family, as long as you don't lose your temper.
It's a shame I broke it :'(

Starfox Assalt: Oh how fun this game is, I think I like the controls the best, sometimes I would love to just do barrel rolls over and over, though I was never a fan of those kind of games, you know, on you're airship shooting stuff, this game was a bit different though...

Super Mario Sunshine: I liked this game, very fun, it was simple though, I didn't think it lasted that long. I like the sceneary and FLUDD was quite fun too, I loved this game though, it had a lot to explore, great scenery, I sometimes had fun just running around, it was very fun! If it wasn't for the vastness (if that's a word) of space, this wouldn't have been my second...

I liked 64 better, but only because I found Mario adorable in those games <3 and a harder as well.

Melee: I was one of those people who belived that Sonic and Tails could be unlocked, I read before that it was impossible, I was shown pictures but I refused to belive it. After playing that game for soooo long and realising they couldn't be unlocked...I almost cried :(, I didn't really know what I did, anyway, I wasn't competitive with it, so after I unlocked Mewtwo I kept playing it for a while and abandoned it for a while, like every other game. It's because I wasn't very competitive in fighting games, after I complete everything, it got boring, after playing it recently, I found it much better but I had better on games I'd rather play on my wii, I still play it from time to time.

That only happens with my fighting games though.

Honourable mentions: Luigi's Mansion (too bad it broke :'(), Mario Power Tennis (too bad it broke :'()

I should play PoR, my sister played it and I've never got around to it and I NEED to play TTYD.

I would have listed more but at that time I was mainly playing my PS2, I loved tht console <3, that's also kind of why I've got so many Mario listed, I mainly just played games I heard about, mainly Mario, now I seem to play on my wii tough...

The last two are a close call and somewhat interchangable

Oh yeah, sorry if these aren't exclusives...

I have a feeling I missed a VERY important game >______>

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The gamecube is one of my favorite consoles of all time, no joke.
Melee is the best imo. No question, all the friends I've made and the fun I've had with this game is unmatched. Nowadays, this is the only game I play.

I really liked Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Pikmin and Double Dash as well. It's too bad Resi4 wentover to the ps2 cause that game is so boss.

M.K

Level 55
Pikmin 2 is an amazing game. I haven't even finished it, because every time I attempt a playthrough, I make a fatal flaw in my Pikmin numbers, get discouraged, and shut the game off. >.>; Yayyy for fortitude.
But how good does it feel to take down a Pileated Snagret without losing a single Pikmin?
Yayy!

theunabletable

Smash Lord
No offence, but most people usually asume that I'm saying that OoT was bad when I say something was better than it. I actually really liked OoT, just not as much as most others.
Well you didn't really say anything was better than it, you only said people only love it because of the initial wow factor. I figured that was kinda an implication :p

Personally I think MM took what was great about OoT, and got rid of what was bad about it (such as lack of uniqueness (I mean look at how similar OoT was to LttP (however it's not as bad in this way as other games in the series, such as TP)), more character development, more sidequests, etc).

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Reading this reminded me of how great GC games were. ^.^ I really enjoyed all the top 5 games, as well as others like Fire Emblem, F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime 2, Baten Kaitos, and probably another 5 or 10 games I'm forgetting ATM. I'd have a really hard time making a top 10 out of these games... >.<

:005:

Top Bottom