• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@v

Subarashii!
This is giving me some extra motivation to make the fox list, especially since I agree with the Fox list on here at the present moment (maybe zeton over megafox, but otherwise agree). Gonna be a summer full of shines, fairs, dairs, and upsmashes for me :)

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Luxord plenty of recent vids of me are up, it's just no one watches them XD
And I thought I was the only one who didn't. Maybe your name isn't as appealing. I could watch a guy named Bloodcross or kismet

luxord ive been wanting to ask you this for a long time.i dont think we have met have we?
No we haven't. Doesn't mean you're not the best ROB. Kira best ROB.

Lol, I'm pretty sure a lot of people DO say that his Rob is better than US Robs based on his results.
Kira, then Ocean.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think Tearbear's R.O.B is better than Kira's but he has no good wins with him since he rarely uses him in tournament.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Player-1, why did the match end so abruptly?
Did he just L+R+A+START and give you your buck?

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Player-1, why did the match end so abruptly?
Did he just L+R+A+START and give you your buck?
^^^ P1 said this was Game 3, so he probably did just quit out.

Lol nice. That's how I got TO Joe with it at PS4 this past weekend. I bet Tyrant was pissed lol.

EDIT: Lol same thing TO Joe did.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
ololol well...people can't decide based on their results.

Next move is to compare two recent gameplay vids. I don't see the issue with that. Some people might continue to be biased but there are some people here who wouldn't be.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
I agree that watching a player acctually play over just looking at if they won or lost. also results do have a role to play in comparing peoples skill as well i just think not as much. Both are neccesary when comparing skill thoguh i believe. cause you can say ni'gga 1 won against ni'gga 2. is ni'gga 1 better because his result was a win? if you look deeper you find out ni'gga 2 SDed once both matches and his reaction time was way off in comparison to how he was playing in the past recent tournies.

Ni'gga 1: im better than you i beat you last tourny.
Ni'gga 2: yeah you did a great job
Ni'gga 1: .... really ..... well ... yeah im better than you (I thought for sure hed call out that he sded for sure)
Ni'gga 2: hell no not really, I sded both matches,im still better than you, ni'gga

or lets say example to where results matter more. where the white man is beaten by the White man out played and everything. Is the black Man better? if you dig deeper you find out Black man has a positive record over every other race.

black man: Black Power!!!!!!!
white man: it seems your play style counters me when we play in tourney.
Black man: cause im betta than yo white *** fo sho ya foo.
white man: your exquisite lack of intellegance makes you believe your skill level is above mine. though you cant even beat those good for nothing ...........

In example A, though ni'gga 1 has the winning result over ni'gga 2 how can Ni'gga 1 prove him self better without simply out playing his opponent. In example 2 though black man outplayed the white man, but how can the black man prove himself better with having such a terrible history of slavery losses to the people the white man can beat.

This is why i believe results and seeing how both players played in a match in necessary to prove whos better.

person A: ya I beat you, out played you, beat most people you lost to. you havnt had as many wins against notable as i have, Im better than you, your worse than me, you suck, your terrible, your worthless, you should die and burn in hell for eternity.

Person B: yup. (I reallly cant say ****, he has be beat straight up.)

*Cam*

Smash Lord
The problem is that part of being a good player is not making stupid mistakes, so saying that he SDed twice doesn't take away from the fact that he lost.

EDIT: Also, if his past tournament performance was better, then results should show that from past tournaments.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean, Mekos always complains about people not reading his posts, but it is like the logic that shouldn't have to be stated isn't comprehended by him sometimes. @_@

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
ofcourse they lost but was it legit? is the person that lost worse than the other in skill?
I understand mekos he is right in a sense.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
ofcourse they lost but was it legit? is the person that lost worse than the other in skill?
We're not saying P1 is better than P2 because P1 beat P2.
We're saying P1 is better than P2 because he/she has a better record of wins than P2.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I mean, Mekos always complains about people not reading his posts, but it is like the logic that shouldn't have to be stated isn't comprehended by him sometimes. @_@
Esam Cam is talking about karaflax lol.

And I don't complain. This is an online forum. I share my input and if people don't care that is fine. And I do understand the basic logic you are talking about(I understand why people choose to only look at results). I just disagree with it. Only looking purely at results does not always paint the whole picture.

@Meekspeedy - No offense taken buddy.

Dcold

Smash Lord
To those saying we should judge gameplay; what does it matter if you can do ____ in game. If I can grab release->Dacus perfectly, and Judo can't, what does it matter if I still lose the games I play in, and don't win, while he wins? The only thing that matters in this game, is the W. Don't understand why people haven't even realized that yet, that's like saying in basketball I can do more crossovers and fancy ****, but I can't finish and make the shot. If I don't make it, nothing else matters, and the same goes for Smash. If I don't win, then that's too bad. I can't say I'm better than someone else because I beat lesser people, and then I do better (but still lose) to top players, while they beat better people than me.

A wins/loss record is something that is completely clear and shows who won. There is no I came close to winning, it's either you got the W or not. Compare that rather than something as arbitrary as how well they played. Actually, wins/losses show who played better anyway, as they played well enough to win.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
To those saying we should judge gameplay; what does it matter if you can do ____ in game. If I can grab release->Dacus perfectly, and Judo can't, what does it matter if I still lose the games I play in, and don't win, while he wins? The only thing that matters in this game, is the W. Don't understand why people haven't even realized that yet, that's like saying in basketball I can do more crossovers and fancy ****, but I can't finish and make the shot. If I don't make it, nothing else matters, and the same goes for Smash. If I don't win, then that's too bad. I can't say I'm better than someone else because I beat lesser people, and then I do better (but still lose) to top players, while they beat better people than me.

A wins/loss record is something that is completely clear and shows who won. There is no I came close to winning, it's either you got the W or not. Compare that rather than something as arbitrary as how well they played. Actually, wins/losses show who played better anyway, as they played well enough to win.
Good point but I am not saying ONLY look at game play. Dude the argument is that both can be used. Not just one or the other. Player-1 and Vato are in a standoff right now because people are soley looking at their results.

Go read my post about m2k having diarrhea.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
We're not saying P1 is better than P2 because P1 beat P2.
We're saying P1 is better than P2 because he/she has a better record of wins than P2.
This. We aren't suggesting that we judge the whole ranking based on one match, but rather by overall records.

I understand mekos he is right in a sense.
I don't like making distinctions between "legit" wins and "non-legit" wins. I think it's an anti-competitive attitude to suggest that the other person got lucky because so-and-so SDed or because they weren't playing that well that particular day. It's also not fair to the person who did win for us to say "Yeah, but that win doesn't count." All tournament wins should count. One win won't be the end-all be-all, but it shouldn't be thrown out either just because someone says it's "not legit."

EDIT: KiraFlax, I understand what you mean, but I think consistency should root out the problem of someone having an off tournament.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Every win is a legit win. I accept the fact that ~1 year ago I lost to Xaltis, 8bitman, and RedHalberd. Does that make them a better player than me? No, because I have consistently better results. It doesn't matter how you look at gameplay. If you only understand the super basics and are just really good at not messing up but you don't do anything amazing, how can you say it is amazing gameplay therefore they deserve to be higher on a list? You can't. You can only objectively rank people based on rankings, REGARDLESS of how well they play during those wins or how poorly their opponents play in their losses. It. Doesn't. Matter. It. Is. Irrelevant. If you don't think so, you don't understand rankings.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
ocean > holy > kira/stingers/chibo tied for 3rd to 5th

rob is bad anyway though so idk why people are even talking about him.

(we could also go back to late 2010 where i had better wins than every other rob :3)

Cassio

Smash Master
The criteria is still kind of vague for the fact that events occur multi-nationally. Remember that this isnt a PR and subjectivity will come into play a lot of the time since this is for fun and not seeding. On top of that people are pretty split on how everything should come together. Personal testimonials and judgements still have limited use for this reason, albeit with caveats. Its easy to get caught up in the idea that these are objective rankings, but its an impossible task.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
EXACTLY!! My man Cassio is the one with the real logic.

I understand what Esam is saying but Cassio has summed up my thoughts. That is why I feel you can look at gameplay as well.

Again, that does not mean you don't consider results. I'm saying I don't agree with ONLY looking at results for this thread.

Now if this were ranking for MLG smash...then of course you ONLY look at results! This isn't that official

Cassio

Smash Master
I wasnt discounting what anyone else said, uniformity and certainty are just a hard thing to come by. Everything deserves to be looked at as well as questioned within practical limits.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm Mekos and I just agree with things that support my side.

Yes, Truth, there are events that happen in different regions with similar wins. However, watching matches for "how they play" is also subjective as hell, even moreso than determining the importance of a win or loss. For looking at players, you can look at results from tournaments and respective win/losses. For example, one can tell that a win on Vinnie is of more importance than a win on Falln. If it is even closer than that, such as a win on ESAM as opposed to a win on Vinnie, you can just keep them tied or go to other wins/losses to determine it. You can't objectively say "This person is playing better" since there are a multitude of things that are a part of your overall play. How the **** do you expect to determine who is playing better? By who wins by more? By who shows more dominance throughout the match? By who has better spacing? By who has better combos? What the hell can you do to determine how "well" somebody is playing?

I'll answer it for you: You can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom