• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I ask myself the same question everytime this thread gets a new post.
Then I remember its cause of the funny discussions that gets people infractions, along with Raptor or someone else bringing up the Yoshi Top 5.

Dcold

Smash Lord
No...my point is that neither of them should be, and let the Pit mains/secondary people have their spots, while people like Ally and Dabuz get their respective character placements. Let Ally take his spots of MK/Snake because when **** gets tough he will use those characters, which is what the Pit mains would do with Pit.

I mean if we're gonna let 1 person do it, let them all do it. Either all, or neither. I just think the second option is more fair for the actual Pit mains and players, or for any character.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
But if the pit mains can't do as well as the people picking them up and playing them then why should they be on the spot?

And what defines a secondary? If ally goes pit 4 tourneys in a row never switching doesn't that count? What if he got tired of being juggled as snake and wanted a better recovery...there's pit for ya...

Your type casting people into chars that they aren't using...6 months of no snake because he goes all mk/pit/CF and he's no longer on the snake list but still not allowed on the pit?

Dcold

Smash Lord
If he goes 6 months without Snake then that's justification for just taking him off of the Snake list is it not? If he had picked up Pit and was using Pit as his actual Main/Secondary and kept using him repeatedly I'd have no problem. For the same reason we had the discussion of Dabuz being on the Pit list and he got rejected because it was basically him using Pit for locals and such and then switching in Grand Finals.

I mean it's just silly to have a Top 5 list where each list under like, high tier, is made up of 5 Top Players who decided to pick that character up and use them for a couple of local tournaments. Because I'm pretty sure a good amount of Top players could do that at locals and still have good results.

It just seems a bit silly to me, but it's not my list.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I'd willing let them on(especially ally since he's been using him on the regional and local level) if he kept going pit. Ofc ik ally and dabuz don't really care about being on the list. They're just using pit for fun/uprising/new character to use etc.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i think they should be on the list. if you have mained a character for years and someone who just started picking up a character a couple weeks ago is getting better results/better wins than you, your spot should not be secure.

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
I thought the point of this thread wasn't to make the people who make the list feel good, but to give examples of the best representation of a character at high levels. So long as there's a consistent level of use in the timeframe you're judging (6 months, in this case), and so long as there's video representation of usage (since the point is to showcase the character), then I don't think it matters if the character is a main/secondary or not.

Unless the purpose of this list is just to stroke your epeen or sommat.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
The difference is ally goes whole tourneys without switching. I don't really see how that matters anyway isn't that what most people would do with MK, as in go their main until they lose a match then go MK?

I "retired" kirby for that very reason every time I lost a match with someone I liked to play or was trying to main I would go kirby because I knew the MU better with him meaning I wouldn't get experience with my new char

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
i think they should be on the list. if you have mained a character for years and someone who just started picking up a character a couple weeks ago is getting better results/better wins than you, your spot should not be secure.
If he or she is consistent with that character, then yes.

If they used him for 4 tourneys for the first time in Brawl's lifetime and not doing THAT much better with them as far as contributing to their results over the span of said lifetime, and then switching back to their normal characters before the hype, you can bet I won't keep them on the list at all for very long.

I basically agree with Dcold's most recent post.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
it shouldn't matter how consistently they use the character, you should only be looking at their wins/losses with the character in whatever time frame the ranking period is for. whoever has the best 5 win/loss ratios in that time frame should be on the list.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
Nah chill, top players just picking up a character to use for 2 tournaments doesn't warrant them for a spot. I'm sure Ally could pick up just about any character on this list, and do well enough with them to be considered a Top 5 for them. And that's just defeating the point of this list.

If it's not a character they're established with a really known for I don't think they should be on the list for that spot. My opinion.

+1 to Koolaid though, should be first.
Ally has used Pit for more than just 2 tournaments, and is placing well (and not just against no-names, he takes game from known/PRd players). And why should they only get a spot for a character they're known for? Now for the issue of people using their main for most of the tournament/their unfortunate MUs then winning it with another character, then, and only then, should they not be given a spot. But if ESAM and Nairo are going pure DK in tournaments and placing better than DK "mains" give me a reason they shouldn't get a spot?

But if the pit mains can't do as well as the people picking them up and playing them then why should they be on the spot?

Your type casting people into chars that they aren't using...6 months of no snake because he goes all mk/pit/CF and he's no longer on the snake list but still not allowed on the pit?
Took this right from my mouth, perfectly worded.

this^
If someone can pick up your main and beat out your 5 years of work, get better.

If you didn't agree with him wouldn't you be pushing yourself off 1 of your 2 chars?

Don't think you can be impartial on this subject because its over pit
shots fired

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I ask myself the same question everytime this thread gets a new post.
Then I remember its cause of the funny discussions that gets people infractions, along with Raptor or someone else bringing up the Yoshi Top 5.
I don't bring stuff up unless someone else is already arguing it :o

Unless its Jigglypuff.

No one talks about puffs unless it's a joke.

I'm going to unsub and then come back when someone tells me to come here.
I wanna be top 5 Jiggs I rested like 1000 people already.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Keep in mind the location. At his skill level it's essentially like shooting three-legged puppies with a beebee gun.

:phone:
LOL no his pit is good. That's what people said about his MK and look how that ended. Top 2 IMO

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
@seagull btw did you win your mm vs Leon?

We MM'd three times. He won, I won, He won. Each set went to third game last hit last stock. Completely even. I probably should've won the first set, but I DI'd a :marth: up b downward and died significantly earlier then I should have costing me the set/match. So I'm 1-2 with Leon.

We'll MM again at SKTAR if I go. I know he already asked me lol.

Edit: Ally is probably a better :pit: then the ones on the current list. Probably because he understands that it doesn't take fancy tricks to win, but basic gameplay. This is the fault in a number of smashers. They rely too much on fancy tech stuff and lose focus on basic gameplay. Example: I could be using a ton of side b mindgames, laser tricks, and shine shenanigans, but I focus more on basic spacing with Bair and Fair to do better. The other thing I do is understand my punishment options through experience. If people understood this fault then I think everyone could improve as a whole. I'm not saying special techs are bad, but basic gameplay is more important. When you can play with basic gameplay to a certain degree and understand it a great deal, then you can incorporate special techs, but don't lose track of basics.

:018:

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
About the whole Ally pit shenanigans..

I think that somebody should only be able to be on this list if you use the character in a match with money directly at risk (Losers brackets, Grand Finals, MM) If you aren't risking money directly, it should not count.

For the record. This only applies to secondaries, primaries can stay at the current ruling.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Kain lost to a Sonic at APEX.
Guess we know how the match goes at the level above SG's.

@Seibrik: We've played before? :applejack:
i duno if i addressed this yet, but yeah, at Apex i MM'd you wario vs sonic

u were either in some bad mood, or u felt u were playing poorly cuz i remember u suiciding and dairing off stage cuz u didn't want fight wario anymore or something i duno

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Ally beat me with Sheik and MJG beat me with Wolf yesterday.

Either I'm really bad or they are top 5 of those imo

Or it's both >_>

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
lmao u just choke the cgs man.

Anyhow if this whole pit crap is too much arguing, don't put me in the list, honestly when I look at 'who's best with...' I look at results not a list made by jelly people. And what Dabuz said too.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Afaik though neither ally or dabuz have wins with pit that outclass the wins of those already on the list.

On the same level is arguable but def. not enough to make them auto-in over top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom