• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SURVIVOR series (Season 26 airs Feb. 13!)

Sariku

Smash Master
Well, actually for what it's worth, Missyae said he had the cast before he got busted. So obviously he's going to say what he has, we're just not going to be getting anything in the way of new information anymore.
I dunno if he had the cast before all the stuff went down, but yeah, as you said, he definitely has it now. He's still being cool with it though, no bootlists or anything. Just castaway names. I don't know if you had any idea bout it, but he actually quit Sucks, at least for now. He's sick of the people there, mainly OooO, so he's just posting on Skills and on Twitter now, lol

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Can't say I blame him for quitting Sucks since they probably would've helped bust him. But if he honestly expects that by just staying on Skills and Twitter the cast list he had won't get splattered everywhere...then he's crazier than even I am. Plus, if I was him, I sure as hell wouldn't be posting cast lists. To be quite frank, I'd be too worried about posting ANYTHING insider related about it from now on.

Sariku

Smash Master
Well, I know he's not dumb enough to think that no one will see his spoilers, but he just doesn't want to give Sucks the BREAKING NEWS type coverage, I guess. Which is understandable, Sucks hasn't been the kindest to him recently. He feels confident that he's going to win the lawsuit though, so that's probably why he is posting all of his spoilers, haha.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Maybe so, but surely he has to realize that keeping posting them is NOT going to help his case in any way shape or form. And what he had IS still considered classified/confidential information. Plus, add that into the fact that people have successfully gotten lawsuits/sued over the smallest things down there (coffee being too hot, really?) and that CBS no doubt has some pretty good lawyers, he might be jumping the gun. And if he does and gets cracked down on worse for it, then I'm NOT going to feel sorry for him this time.

Sariku

Smash Master
Well, the funny thing about the coffee being too hot is that McDonalds knew that before hand, but under investigation during the case, emails were found saying that replacing the coffee pots that heated them up too much would be, just an example, 5,000,000 dollars. And paying any lawsuits that they may be sued for would only be up to 1,000,000 dollars. So they took the easy way out. When the court found these emails, they made the lawsuit stupid OH MAH GAWD big just to prove a point that even if it costs more, you have to have a safe environment.

But ANYWAYS, x] I do wish missyae well though, I'd miss that guy if he disappeared.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I was just using that as an example, like the guy who hurt himself trying to open a jar of peanut butter with a screwdriver, lol.

And I know you'd miss him if he disappeared. I, on the other hand, would not.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Someone needs to sue all electronic makers for creating plastic shells that are impossible to safely open without heavy machinery.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
TRG: Do you still want the castaways that were spoiled to be in teh season? No placements or bootlists or anything, but a picture or two about them and their name? If no one else wants them, I can just PM them to you.
The sooner we find out about as much of the cast as possible, the better. So spoil away!

So what did you think of the season as a whole, TRG? Totally different, huh?
Overall the season was very, very enjoyable for me to watch. There are some aspects from Borneo that I enjoyed waaay more than typical Survivor seasons today an and there were also a couple of aspects that I didn't enjoy quite as much. I guess I'll just list them all out...

Main things I liked more

Cast: The best part about Borneo for me was the cast. Obviously back in the Survivor days they casted people mostly based on personalities and very rarely on looks and popularity, which is almost the COMPLETE opposite of what we have now. The Borneo cast truly felt like a real representation of 16 every day Americans being stranded on an island, and they all had distinct personalities. Now Survivor looks like (for the most part) a group of supermodels with similar personalities. Just look at the La Flor tribe... EVERYONE on that tribe looked like a super model to a certain extent. Where are the average, every-day Americans??? I guess that's why I tend to like players like Cirie and Greg so much... REAL and down to earth people.

Editing: Nearly every contestant got a decent amount of screen time and very rarely did one person hog the spotlight most of the time. It was nice to get to know the whole cast, as opposed to knowing only about 7-8 really well and the rest are just kinda... there.

Survival: Another thing I really liked was that the audience got to see a LOT more of the Survival aspect as opposed to the recent seasons. Whether I saw Hatch spear fish, watch Sean craft his own fishing pole, or squirm in my seat as the tribe settles for eating rats for dinner, I loved each of those moments. Seems like we don't get a lot of that anymore... We get a clip or two here and there with a chicken getting its head cut off or something like that, but in Borneo the survival aspect was prevalent in nearly every episode.

Thing I dislike

Strategy: There was nearly none of it... The majority of the cast was so strategically dumb that it was really hard to watch at points. Sean stooped as low as voting people out based on alphabetical order. What??? A lot of the cast was also against forming alliances because they thought it was wrong? That's pretty funny considering Survivor is all about alliances now, and the top 4 in Borneo were the only group of people to make an alliance. How depressing lol. Also there were no immunity idols, which was also a letdown. Basically there was no drama at nearly every TC because of it. It was pretty much Hatch and his crew picking everyone off one by one without ANY resistance. Good thing the cast was very likable and entertaining or else I'm not sure I would have been able to finish the season.

And after typing all of that... It's now time for season 2. LETS GO! :)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It's certainly a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways. But really one of the things you disliked is kind of a good thing in and of itself. Just hold out over the next couple of seasons for some nice evolution, lol.

Sariku

Smash Master
Suprisingly, TRG kinda turned me off of Borneo with his rant about it, x].
Also, TRG, I sent you the PM of all the confirmed contestants. If anyone else wants them, tell me, and I'll send them to you.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Suprisingly, TRG kinda turned me off of Borneo with his rant about it, x].
Also, TRG, I sent you the PM of all the confirmed contestants. If anyone else wants them, tell me, and I'll send them to you.
Anyone who has never seen Borneo and is a strategy nut, like me, will most likely not enjoy it because there is seriously ZERO strategy. But on the flipside it had the most enjoyable cast I've seen in a Survivor season so far. Plus the editing, survival aspect, and the fact that it's the first season made it an overall fun season.

@Buzzsaw As hardcore of a Survivor fan as I am, I only started with Gabon, season 16 (thanks to our own Ken). So I'm on a personal mission to watch every season from 1-15 in order so I can see how much the show and cast has progressed over time. It's surprisingly fun to do in between the current seasons.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I mean, quite frankly, if you're a Survivor fan (or a reality TV fan at ALL), then you HAVE to be able to enjoy and appreciate Survivor for what it accomplished. Though, I still say seasons like Marquesas, Amazon, and Pearl Islands are good mixes of both strategy AND characters, and that without those 3 seasons, there wouldn't be the strategy like it is today.

Sariku

Smash Master
I don't think Marquesas and Pearl Islands exactly showed a lot of strategy... At least not for how big a claim you're making. lol

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well Sariku, it's hard to understand if you haven't been watching since the beginning how big of an impact those seasons made. Those three seasons brought in so many things that people thought were never going to happen in Survivor, and Pearl Islands has even set records that still stand today too in terms of strategy.

M.K

Level 55
So, my sister waits until were watching the finale of Nicaragua to tell me she went on a date with Chase when he lived in Chapel Hill...

....Whaddya know.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
@Buzzsaw As hardcore of a Survivor fan as I am, I only started with Gabon, season 16 (thanks to our own Ken). So I'm on a personal mission to watch every season from 1-15 in order so I can see how much the show and cast has progressed over time. It's surprisingly fun to do in between the current seasons.
Gabon was season 17. Season 16 is Micronesia (one of my favorites, I might add).

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Er, I dunno. Micronesia is a totally bittersweet season that entirely leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Why is that? I felt Micronesia had the best mix of intense gameplay (aside from the various evacuations).

Sariku

Smash Master
Why is that? I felt Micronesia had the best mix of intense gameplay (aside from the various evacuations).
I'll just talk for Livewire, he doesn't like it because of the sexist alliance at the end of the game. I don't want to get into too much detail, for TRG, but he already knows Parvati apparently led a badass alliance, so I'll leave it at that.

He doesn't like alliances that discriminates other people based on race, sex, etc.

But I agree, Micronesia is in my top five favorite seasons. Maybe top three.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
So, my sister waits until were watching the finale of Nicaragua to tell me she went on a date with Chase when he lived in Chapel Hill...

....Whaddya know.
That's actually very cool.

I too have also met a survivor contestant in real life. Remember the black Russel from Samoa? I randomly ran into him in a hotel I was staying at in Baltimore. Definitely the most random/awesome moment of my life. I talked to him for about an hour.

Here's a picture of him if you don't remember who is is:

Gabon was season 17. Season 16 is Micronesia (one of my favorites, I might add).
Good catch my mistake. From 1-16 then.

And I can't wait to watch Micronesia. Parvati is my favorite female player of all time and was the best overall player in HvV, so I can't wait to see what she did in Micronesia.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Updated the OP yet again! It's a lot nicer and the youtube videos at the bottom are collapsed so the OP is less cluttered with text. And the Nicaragua picture is a bit smaller.

Can everyone be honest with me do you guys even look at the OP at all or just me every week I change it? I honestly wish more people watched Survivor cause the thread would have the potential to be one of the premiere sites to discuss it... Well at least far better than CBS forums.

Fun fact- When you google image "Survivor Nicaragua cast," my Heroes vs Villains picture is on page 7. :laugh:

Sariku

Smash Master
I'll say that I really don't go to the OP much, but when I do, I'm always impressed at how nice it is! Back in the day, I was one of those people who tried to make all those silly "OFFICIAL SONIC THE HEDGEHOG THREADS" and **** like that, so I know how you feel about wanting to keep the OP neat. I will in fact start looking at it though, starting Redemption Island, :D

Speaking of that, you should swap the Nica logo for the RI one :O

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I sometimes check the OP.

And in fairness, I would rank Micronesia in the bottom 10, but that has a lot to do with my taste in who my favourites are. And I'd ALSO say that there's a ton of really good seasons BEFORE Micronesia (see also: Borneo, Marquesas, Amazon, Pearl Islands, Vanuatu, Palau, Guatemala, China).

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm currently watching season 11 (Guatamala) for the first time.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Speaking of that, you should swap the Nica logo for the RI one :O
Ahh I forgot there's a banner out already! Perfect! Thanks a bunch.

Despite the fact that nobody else hardly looks at the OP I always love looking at it every time I'm in this thread. I guess as long as I'm satisfied I'm happy. :laugh:

EDIT: Eventually what I'll have to start doing is collapsing entire season sections to make room for the OP. God idk what I would do if I didn't have collapse.

EDIT 2: Ooooo the new banner is sexy!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I must say, you did a better job than I ever could. I tried so hard to keep Survivor discussion alive here at SWF, but it didn't take.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I must say, you did a better job than I ever could. I tried so hard to keep Survivor discussion alive here at SWF, but it didn't take.
The thread would be absolutely dead if it weren't for Livewires and Sakiru. Sakiru has been active in this thread the longest, while Livewires became active once Nicaragua started. Before then it was just people coming and going, or others would be a regular for a couple weeks or so, then stop visiting.

The randoms that comment every now and then are okay but what will really get this thread going is if we had more regulars other than just me Sakiru and Livewires. The more discussion the better. I know there are more Survivor nerds on this site I guess I just gotta find them.

I'll change my sig to advertise the thread more I guess.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, as long as any meaningful discussion is going on, you can count on me to contribute. I love finding people who love to analyze the game. :p

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well that's great to know! :) Welcome on board Buzzsaw.

I now have a sweet new sig to help advertise the thread. It's not the best but it'll do for now I guess.

Sariku

Smash Master
TGR: there WERE a few of us who posted in the discussion group. I think it was you who came into it and advertised the thread in there, and then at least I came here and bookmarked it, :D

The reason I reply so quickly is because it's my only thread bookmarked, so that whenever someone posts, I get an email, and I just go check the thread when I get time, x]

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Weird, that must be a lot of spamming e-mails. I mean, I just check periodically which is why sometimes I'll respond in minutes and other times in hours. And dunno, now I'm wishing I put an underline between the 'e' and the 's' in my s/n.

Reminds me TRG, since you've started watching Australia, what're your thoughts so far?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I met Sandra once; she lives in my hometown and she was the master of events at the anniversary of the Commissary opening this summer. Apparently, my mom sees her shopping there sometimes too.

Top Bottom