• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey guys! Been playing smash 4 and as usual I knew i'd get drawn to Ness. Always able to fit my playstyle.

Ness is significantly better than in Brawl just alone because he doesn't get Cged anymore. But he's a tad better due to his PKT no longer getting cancelled for the first few frames and also that the game has generally reduced massive range on a lot of characters (granted, this also applies to Ness' fair) which means he doesn't get walled out quite as easily as he used to. That said, I feel with this game there comes new challenges. Ness finds it hard to kill now, mainly due to the fact that his Bthrow has been ever so slightly nerfed but mainly his Bair is no longer a viable killing option until 130%+ and his Dair is no longer a viable spike. The majority of Ness' kills will be, I feel, from a combination of Bthrow and Uair.

Because SH airdodging is no longer a competitive thing, Ness will be using a lot more OoS Nairs this time around but instead of a SH-based game I feel he's going to be mixing up shield pressure with grabs and throws, or at least this is the way i've been doing damage in my experiences so far.

More remains to be seen, but i'm enjoying Ness. Always have, as you can probably tell from my post-bits. :p I plan on using him competitively like in Brawl, so errr, there you go I suppose. :)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh hey, Timmy here!

So, I don't think many of you remember me cause of these silly numbers on my username and now that you see a furry as my avatar, but my heart will still be dedicated to Ness. <3

Although I don't own a 3DS (I'm actually borrowing one from a friend but it's not like I'll be buying the game for him lol) nor a Wii U, but hopefully I'll be getting a Wii U for either Christmas or my birthday (January 29th).
Gonna be representing Ness in Canada though... And representing my youth! ;D
Aww timmy, you'll be sad to know that yoyo tricks with Ness can't be done now. His yoy no longer has a charging hitbox. I was sad, kept trying to have it hanging over the edge to edgeguard but in vain. Old habits die hard eh? XD

EDIT: Derp, sorry for the double post =/

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Smiles and Tears as a song in the game is so OP. Thank you daddy Sakurai.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Smiles and Tears as a song in the game is so OP. Thank you daddy Sakurai.
I've been listening to it since my friend told me it was in the game. First on youtube, then every time I played Magicant, either normal or omega, which has been a lot. :p

Magicant is definitely my favourite stage. That rip with special scenes from Mother and EB was just too much for me to handle... it was great. ;_;

Also, and I dunno why I didn't mention this, but it's great to see you back, Yink! :D

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Haha, it's okay Luco. Welcome to the Ness board! Good to have you here.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Has anyone noticed the range of Ness' pivot grab. It's HUGE! It's pretty neat. <3

@ Yink Yink , I remember we discussed this pretty in-depth some time ago in regards to Ness in Brawl, but what are your opinions so far on Ness' Fair and Nair this game? SH airdodging is obviously not a thing anymore so Ness is forced to use his aerials quite a lot. Iirc he can still do 2 Nairs in a single jump and aerials --> landing tends to have a lot less landing lag than it used to. His Nair seems less punishable this game to me but really it could just be an illusion. The range on Fair feels nerfed but again i'm not sure. I feel like spacing will be a big deal this time around but at the same time it feels like many characters had nerfs on their range.

Not entirely sure what to make of all of it. The other thing is that there was a very recent japanese tier list that came out very recently. It's only meant to be a rough rough rough first tier list but it's interesting to look at. It does have Ness as rather low though, so I was a bit sad to see it, but many peeps have commented on the fact that it will almost certainly change and isn't really that accurate just yet, so that's something else to consider.

All of ^ can actually be discussed by anyone, I just tagged Yink because it's something I remember us discussing in depth some time ago. :)

Tikao

Smash Ace
I haven't actually played the game myself, but saw a lot of Ness-gameplay in streams (like way too much). To me it looks like Nair does the exact same thing it did in Brawl (mainly being a great ooS option ) so it was awesome in Brawl already, but now it seems even better since you can't just SH airdodge anymore.

This limits Ness options, but also the options of his opponent, and Ness is great in the air and in those SH -> something situations already, meaning he will be great at just punishing/abusing those situations,and if they just airdodge into the ground, you can just grab them (and Ness' grabs/throws are still awesome).

I'm not sure about this, but fastfall Nair could be great, you can't use his Dair onstage decently anymore and fastfall is faster than in Brawl, might be a good option

His Fair seems to be more of a combo move than a spacing tool now.
It actually got good range, since Ness leans forward, but he also extends his hurtbox that way, which should make it bad for spacing, but then again, the range of many moves/aerials got nerfed (which should be a huge passive buff to Ness).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I haven't actually played the game myself, but saw a lot of Ness-gameplay in streams (like way too much). To me it looks like Nair does the exact same thing it did in Brawl (mainly being a great ooS option ) so it was awesome in Brawl already, but now it seems even better since you can't just SH airdodge anymore.

This limits Ness options, but also the options of his opponent, and Ness is great in the air and in those SH -> something situations already, meaning he will be great at just punishing/abusing those situations,and if they just airdodge into the ground, you can just grab them (and Ness' grabs/throws are still awesome).

I'm not sure about this, but fastfall Nair could be great, you can't use his Dair onstage decently anymore and fastfall is faster than in Brawl, might be a good option

His Fair seems to be more of a combo move than a spacing tool now.
It actually got good range, since Ness leans forward, but he also extends his hurtbox that way, which should make it bad for spacing, but then again, the range of many moves/aerials got nerfed (which should be a huge passive buff to Ness).
Pretty much this. Though it's fair to mention that Ness' ground game needs to be supplanted now with more than just SHs (or rather now anything BUT Short hops :p)

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
His fair pulls people towards him now instead of away. I carried someone on for glory mode with just short hop fairs. From one side of the stage to another and killing him with it. I can recored the match later when im home.

Edit: Nakat also stated this as well that Ness fair pulls people towards him allowing more follow ups

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
His fair pulls people towards him now instead of away. I carried someone on for glory mode with just short hop fairs. From one side of the stage to another and killing him with it. I can recored the match later when im home.

Edit: Nakat also stated this as well that Ness fair pulls people towards him allowing more follow ups
I've noticed that, one of my big combos in PKF --> Dthrow --> FH Fair ---> DJ Fair

It's pretty neat when it works out. Sometimes I mix the 2 Fairs up with a SH Uair if I think they're gonna airdodge it all.

But yep, Fair is a massive combo move now.

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
Here's the video as promised not the best quality or sound but it's the best I could do atm .

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Just thought I'd post this amazing video here (not mine).

Last edited:

FuzzyPickles

Smash Rookie
NNID
xGiygasx
3DS FC
2921-9652-8241
Hey guys FuzzyPickles here! I am a Smash 4 player from Orlando, FL and a new member to SmashBoards. Been playing Ness since 64 came out and am a huge fan of the Mother series as a whole. So excited to see what Mother content is packed into the Wii U version of Smash. If anyone would like to run some matches or discuss the series feel free to PM me anytime and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible!

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
Anyone interested in a Ness Skype Group ? It would be cool to talk to other Ness mains around the world if possible.

Tikao

Smash Ace
i got a 3ds and sm4sh now (well actually i borrowed both)
so i can happily test some stuff now (unitl i have to give it back)

and man, the controls are weird, no c-stick, no z button
well, you don't need good aerial mobility or grabs as ness anyway, right? ...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
To the Ness player who goes by the tag "Scraket", GGs! You have a damn good Ness and a great use of PK Thunder.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Why am I drawn to either Ness or Lucas in these games...he is just addicting in this game and the fact that he is actually viable in this game is just not helping me from not playing him.

I wanted to play new characters and learn them, but grrr Ness. If I end up using him in tournament, it will be very reminiscent.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I still find something a bit funny. I have been playing Ness/Lucas competitively for so long, but I have never played either of their games.

Though Magicant is like my favorite Omega stage to use.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I still find something a bit funny. I have been playing Ness/Lucas competitively for so long, but I have never played either of their games.

Though Magicant is like my favorite Omega stage to use.
J! It'd totally be awesome to have ya back! ;D

I was the same. I was like "ohhhh look at all these new characters..." *unlocks ness* "... that i'm never going to play!"

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
I bought the VC version when it came out, with the intention of replaying it.
Never made it out of Onett, much like the first time I tried playing it after Melee came out. I'm not good with slow starting RPGs.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So I changed my mind. Ness Fair spacing isn't as legit as it used to be. Not sure if it's just the circle pad or not, but Ness really will be using a lot of OoS Nair.

Something to note about that is his hurtbox for the Nair in front of him is massive, whereas the range for it behind him is rather small.

Tikao

Smash Ace
btw, you can actually frametrap people into your pkt2 to kill them in this game if they're near the ground, without just being flashy

in some situations, you just pkt1 towards them, they either get hit or airdodge
if they airdodge and land with it, they're trapped in the lag, so you just hit them with pkt2 (if you're close enough, then with the impact-sweetspot).
This generally works better (regardless of which hitbox will hit them) , if you're close to them, since it won't take as long to get the pkt2
also this generally works better the closer you are to the egde, since they can't just back away, and if they do, they give you stage control
if they hit the pkt1 with an aerial (or another hitbox in the air), then you can grab them when they land and punish them

i actually got '(side-b) -> dthrow -> fair -> fair -> uair -> pkt2 kill' as a 0 to death combo on quite some people already, (depends on which character they play for the uair to connect and if you started the combo with pk-fire)

both of you are actually in the perfect position after you landed after the uair for the pkt2 to work, you're on the ground or near it, both near the edge and they got the right height
and even if you just hit them with pkt1 or get the grab near the ledge, you did a lot of damage and got stage control

Ness is great at keeping stage control and momentum in your favor

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I am playing through another run of EarthBound, someone should join me and play too!
You can buy Earthbound on the WiiU store, correct? If so, I may join you since I need to finally do it. (or just watch a playthrough...)

J! It'd totally be awesome to have ya back! ;D

I was the same. I was like "ohhhh look at all these new characters..." *unlocks ness* "... that i'm never going to play!"
I was definitely planning on helping the Ness boards along, in any way I could, this time around since Lucas isn't in the game.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
I am playing through another run of EarthBound, someone should join me and play too!
I'm actually playing it too! I'm currently in fourside right now, at the part where Paula gets kidnapped. Surprisingly, the mall part with just Ness and Jeff is pretty hard.

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
I was playing EB before Smash came out. I need to finish playing it. I was on my way to FourSide if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone here like the desert theme from earthbound? I always found it to be one of the more catchier themes in the game.

Tikao

Smash Ace
I'm actually playing it too! I'm currently in fourside right now, at the part where Paula gets kidnapped. Surprisingly, the mall part with just Ness and Jeff is pretty hard.
everybody enjoys a nice cup of coffee, right?
even if it is a bit hot ... and in your own face

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
everybody enjoys a nice cup of coffee, right?
even if it is a bit hot ... and in your own face
Ahhh, I see what you did there. I'm actually about to go to moonside. It's always been a cool and trippy place. Also has one of the best lines ever "Does this really look like a pencil to you?"

Top Bottom