• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

tyrannosaurusrik

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3196-4352-0712
EarthBound definitely enchanted me more than Mother 3. I still haven't played Mother 1. I feel as though I must, but since it is an NES game, I don't know if I can handle such a throwback. But maybe I can find a Mother 1+2 GBA translation and play that on my phone. That would be dandy.

While Mother 3 was much better story wise and game-wise, I preferred EarthBound, which made me happy they put in a lot more references to Mother 2 in SSB3DS, rather than the focus on Mother 1 and Mother 3 in Brawl. Am I the only one who felt that? Melee definitely pulled EarthBound to the main stage for me. When I saw the Magicant stage (which I was predicting the "pink" stage in the leak was Magicant from the beginning) in a stream when unlocking Ness, my jaw dropped, and when the background broke open to see the gameplay footage, I was fanboying like crazy and almost cried. (I am pretty sure I was male PMSing...) I'm glad those details remain in the Omega form of Magicant.

As far as Wii U, I would not be angry if Magicant and Fourside returned to this new game. I loved Fourside (favorite Melee stage), and would rather see that with the Moonside aesthetic you guys and gals have previously mentioned than the other stages. I would be okay with Onett, and think that will be prefered, seeing how all the Melee stages in 3DS were stages in Brawl. I think that pattern will continue. I did not mind New Pork City, but it was too big for me. I don't like chasing, but that is my play style. Now if NPC were to return with an Omega form, I would be completely down for it. The soundtrack and the graphics would be dope!

Now if that wasn't long enough, I need some advice from fellow Mother fans. Currently, I am working on my next tattoo, which will be a mix of EarthBound and one of my favorite bands, Fireworks. This is the base image of the tattoo: http://24.media.tumblr.com/ccb62c56af8b5dfac94f33b68155e36b/tumblr_miehuoY14a1r8yklko1_500.png
What I have in design is the boy dressed as Ness, holding a baseball bat. What I haven't decided completely yet are the demons: should I go with two Starmen on the shoulders, one on each side, or should I go with a Starman and Mother 1 Giygas on each shoulder? What would work well with the base image and the concept? The tattoo is going to be companied with the lyrics "We All Grew Up Weird Enough" in Mr. Saturn letters, of course.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
So, cool cats, which is your favourite game in the Mother series?
I've oddly only played mother 3 I think I might play and finish earth bound. I played a bit of it but never finished it. I do love mother 3 though

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Favorite Mother game? Earthbound, hands down.

The Starman AT and Smash run enemy look super cool.. I love how they still don't move. XD

On another topic, has anyone seen any good Earthbound/Mother Shirts? I'd love to own one.

Hong

The Strongest
The first Mother for me, easily. I appreciate the simplicity. EarthBound is second to that.
On another topic, has anyone seen any good Earthbound/Mother Shirts? I'd love to own one.
I get lots of compliments on both the Starman hoodie and Kraken tee I got from Fangamer. Also, people see my Escargo Express bag and wonder if it's a real company.

That feeling when someone younger than I sees my EarthBound swag and is able to recognize it...

Smiles and Tears, good friend. Well, I don't literally cry, though it amazes me when these youth can appreciate a classic.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The first Mother for me, easily. I appreciate the simplicity. EarthBound is second to that.
I get lots of compliments on both the Starman hoodie and Kraken tee I got from Fangamer. Also, people see my Escargo Express bag and wonder if it's a real company.

That feeling when someone younger than I sees my EarthBound swag and is able to recognize it...

Smiles and Tears, good friend. Well, I don't literally cry, though it amazes me when these youth can appreciate a classic.
I took a look at that Starman hoodie... it's really nice. I'll probably order that or the Mach Pizza shirt.

I've yet to meet someone younger than myself that's played any Mother game... barring my brother.

Last edited:

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
I'm torn between Mother 2 and 3. On the one hand EarthBound was the first game in the trilogy I played (on the SNES even! :grin: ), and it's a really funny and amazing game. But Mother 3 is so emotional and is more of a feel ride than you would think.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Looking at the Ganondorf thread, they have an archive for all the mains of said character. I'd do it myself here, but the Wii U gamepad won't let me.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Looking at the Ganondorf thread, they have an archive for all the mains of said character. I'd do it myself here, but the Wii U gamepad won't let me.
A lot of boards are making skype groups for mains of the character as well.

Tikao

Smash Ace
Mother 2 would be my favorite

it is literally older than me and never got released in europe (where i live), but it's the best game i played so far and my favorite
after that mother 3

mother 1 is awesome, but gameplay wise just too frustrating for me, i probadly just suck, but everyone who played that game will understand me xD
a chance of a undodgeable miniboss-like battle every 2 steps, which is no problem if you just grind for hours, over and over again
some regular enemies in this game are just waaay too strong for me :C

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Ahhhh my peoples<3 Mother 2 is probably my favorite, with 3 very close behind. the thing about 3 that hurts it IMO is that it much more restricting feeling than 2 was. still LOVE the story though, and ya know even though the first Mother was pretty unbalanced and super hard at the end i love that game tons still! it was (appropriately) my first game in the series =)
my question to all you guys is this; How many of you have completely beaten all three games? i have~

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
Earthbound is also my favorite of the three. Mother 3 does have a very engaging story and is a very well put together game, but EB is my favorite game of all time. The humor, the visuals, the music, the... everything! I love to pull my old cartridge and error-filled strategy guide and just have a blast every so often.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Mother 3 was better as a game; the mechanics felt more polished, the UI was more intuitive, the battles themselves felt more involved and besides the removal of the rows aspect of battles (2 rows of enemies, PSI Fire only targets one of them) it was overall more fun to play. Mother may have been imagined as a Dragon Quest parody but that doesn't excuse it having some of the worst aspects of the early DQ games, something Mother 3 sets out to remedy.

EarthBound was definitely more amusing and fun to play through, the writing was more amusing and the lighthearted tone made it more endearing than Mother 3's constant mood whiplash. I love 'em both, though. The enemy designs being so consistently silly is one of my favorite things about the games; instead of something like Crow or Red Dragon you get Spiteful Crows and Territorial Oaks. How can a crow be spiteful? How can a tree, something that is defined by being rooted in the ground, be territorial? The enemy names are like jokes on their own, inside a game with even more jokes.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I've bought a couple of items from fangamer. I really should get that Starman hoodie for the winter season though.
It looks awesome.
I enjoy the PK Love jacket for fall as well, though it's sort of questionable at times because the actual PK Love part is kind of tiny.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I like every game for different reasons, but I still enjoy MOTHER 2 the most.

I felt so cool when SSB64 came out, because I was the only one of my friends to know who Ness was. They thought he was either the Paper Boy or, weirdly, the Farmer from Harvest Moon.

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
Ive been playing as Ness since n64 but didn't play EB and M3 until early this year. I tried playing the first one but that ones a little too old for me. I might start playing through the game one day some say its story is cool.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Ive been playing as Ness since n64 but didn't play EB and M3 until early this year. I tried playing the first one but that ones a little too old for me. I might start playing through the game one day some say its story is cool.
Indeed Mother 1 is a great game, i really recommend it.
If you want to have a better experience you can play the Mother 1+2 version equipping the easy ring, it makes it more enjoyable.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. Whose's your favorite Mother character besides Ninten, Ness, and Lucas?

Hong

The Strongest
Hey everyone. Whose's your favorite Mother character besides Ninten, Ness, and Lucas?
Hmm... That's a toss-up between Ana and Jeff. I guess I'd go with Ana. Her character doesn't hold up well these days, but at the time being a cute goody-good made her an endearing addition to the cast at the time.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... That's a toss-up between Ana and Jeff. I guess I'd go with Ana. Her character doesn't hold up well these days, but at the time being a cute goody-good made her an endearing addition to the cast at the time.
Oh, Ana. That's actually the first time I heard someone say she was their favorite character. But you do bring up some good points about her, and i'm glad she is favored by people. As for my favorite, it's pretty close between Jeff and Duster. I'd pick Duster because he's considered, in the game, to be pretty incompetent, but he still manages to be a great partner, even without the aid of psi or intelligence. He's also the main guy in Chapter 2 of Mother 3, which is my favorite part of the game.

ilysm

sleepy
I cannot choose a favorite between the three games and none of you can make me.

But favorite character? Ooooh, that's tricky, there are so many good ones. I really like Kumatora; she seemed pretty straightforward when you met het but turned out to be really interesting and rad. The Mr. Saturns, of course. The Magypsies were fantastic, as were the DCMC. And Porky, whose development as a character was super fasctinating.

I guess I'll just need to go with the oxygen dispensers then

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Kumatora for me, hands down. I've rarely seen a Princess as bad*** as her in any game i've played.
Even though she's not really a princess, but that's besides the point, she's still amazing.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What excites you the most about Ness' SSB4 moveset?

Hong

The Strongest
What excites you the most about Ness' SSB4 moveset?
The superficial details. He just looks and sounds better than ever. I'm glad Mr. Sakurai was willing to thin him up a bit. It is good for both gameplay and his appearance.

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
Jeff is my favorite Mother character and the Assist Trophy I most wanted to see turned playable, as unrealistic as it was... His character arc in EB is where the game really takes off for me. Some of the weirdest supporting characters show up right about that time (Bubble Monkey, pretty much everyone at the school, his probably accidentally neglectful father) giving him this 'Only Sane Person in a 50 Mile Radius' vibe, which makes him jump at the call from a girl's voice in his head despite not having or possibly knowing anything about psychic powers. His unique playstyle and dorky mannerisms just make him so endearing.

The best part of Ness' SSB4 moveset to me is how much was changed without being changed. From what I've seen he operates similarly, but he's noticeably stronger and his Smash got changed up into a less random attack. October 3rd is taking way too dang long to get here.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
You wont believe what happend on my Demo of SSB4 yesterday. I was on the tips section and for some reason it told me how to use PK Flash for Ness.

Hong

The Strongest
Jeff, tho

*crashes a spaceship through the ground*

"My name is Jeff. I convert common everyday junk into lethal weaponry. Nice to meet you."

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I am regretful to say, as a ness main....I am only just now playing through earthbound.

I am adoring it though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm not looking at Ness until the US release. I want some stuff to surprise me. :-)

tyrannosaurusrik

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3196-4352-0712
Going on tumblr, Duster does not get the love he deserves, in my opinion. I loved Duster. Boney was also awesome.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Going on tumblr, Duster does not get the love he deserves, in my opinion. I loved Duster. Boney was also awesome.
Mother 3 in general doesn't get the love it deserves, but yeah. Of the party members in mother 3, only Lucas and Kumatora really get any love.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
I know, it's quite sad actually. Even in the game, Duster doesn't get much love. Seriously, he get's called a moron by his dad 11 times in a short time span. From when i first played the game, Duster has always been my favorite mother 3 character, and him (and Boney) are seriously underated by fans.

Tikao

Smash Ace
how can you NOT like duster?
he is awesome and would probadly be the best charakter from the mother series for smash (with jeff)
there is so much stuff you use for a moveset wfor duster and jeff, that would both be unique and awesome to see
they have way more potential than ness himself has xD

Top Bottom