• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Meccs

@Meccs_
The Master Belch alt is my favorite Ness alt and I have no idea why. It speaks to me. Sorry, green Ness.

MasterBlu

Smash Cadet
I guess I'm a Ness main now.
What are some stuff you do to beat other stuff with Ness?
See this thread for some competitive Ness discussion:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-psi-powered-youth-game-play-general.367167/page-4

To get you started here are some tips:

- use Nair to get pressure off you or for mixups, it kills offstage at fairly high percents as well.
-PK Fire in neutral
-D-Throw-> Fair->Fair or U-air or Nair
- B-Throw kills. VERY good kill potential. Most chars will die to it at about 130-140.
- B-air for edge guard or intimidate or combo off b-throw at low %
- PK Thunder is buffed so it is much faster now. Use offensively to edge-guard or PKT2 at your opponents to throw them off. The more accurate you are with it, the more they get intimidated.
- D-air is semi nerfed but still useful if the opportunity presents itself in an edgeguard situation but should not be your go-to thing.

Welcome to High Tier Ness in Smash 4!

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Man, I left my 3DS in my mom's car, and I'm at a friend's house at their college. :( I wanted to play some of my better friends in the new smash, but now I can only play them in melee/PM.

I just finished watching the last half of Fate/Zero without watching the first half. Must say, pretty good. Doesn't break my top-5 though.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Cross-country connections using the 3DS aren't all that bad. I'd be happy to do some dittos sometime, though i'll be in exams during monday, tuesday and wednesday. Tomorrow (somewhat) and after wednesday i'll be much more free up to do stuff though. ^_^

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I want to be a ness main again. I really do, but I no longer seem to be as good with him as I used to be bluh bluh. *cries in a corner while petting ness and lucas (' corpse) lovingly*

Meccs

@Meccs_
I need to take a brake from For Glory and chill out cause these losses are getting me way too mad for a videogame and a mode that doesn't even matter. I got flat out embarrassed by a captain falcon, like .gif-that-**** type embarrassed, and came seconds from throwing my 3DS through the wall.
So if anyone wants to play some friendly 1v1, let me know...

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Yo I just watched the GF of Clash Tournament's latest...Guys...Ness is winning tournaments...It makes me so excited to see how far this character is going to go after being meh for so long.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
So has anyone else found the "wifi roll spam" funny? Almost everyone I've played has just constantly rolled nearly the entire game.

Statuen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, been lurking around ness discussion threads for 3 weeks now. I have been in Africa doing field work for my studies without decent wifi. So I have been stuck with playing against lv 9 bots for way to long... Im back with wifi now so I can finally start playing online. Im hyped. 1000 kos with ness against bots hopefully helps a little regarding my skill level...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well I wouldn't laugh at it too much. Rolls in this game feel very buffed and much less punishable. it's a bit better for us because Nair and Fair are big parts of our repetoir and both cover invincibility frames due to lasting hitboxes, but overall it's actually legit to roll a bit more now. :o

It's still funny to destroy peeps spamming it online though. :p

Wow, some people are even putting Ness in their top 10 lists now, THE PRESSURE IS GETTING TO ME GUYS I NEVER THOUGHT WE'D HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE STRESS OF BEING HIGH TIER ;_;

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
we can all be hipster about it and say we played ness before everyone else and before he was good ... so we got that xD

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Plus we all also have the upper advantage since we have been working with this character for years. People will be having to try and learn things we have been doing for years. I think it's Ness' time in smash4.

I need to play more actual people or competitive smashers.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Wow, some people are even putting Ness in their top 10 lists now,
Not surprised at all that people think he's top 10. I certainly think he is, but it's nice to see that other mains seem to think so as well. Not at the top with Rosalina/Zero Suit/Sheik/Yoshi, but definitely in the next tier group. ZeRo has said he thinks Ness is top 3 (Rosalina+Sheik) but that was shortly after the game released, so he might have changed his thoughts by now. In his streams he was always saying that Japan was really underrating him (they didn't have him being too good) .

I'm excited to prove Ness is one of the best characters in the game, and I'm sure everyone else here is, too. Hes been held down for the last 13 years, about time he got his chance.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I can't stand playing ness in wifi lag anymore. The number of times I've missed reflecting or absorbing things because of lag frames is insane. On top of that UpB recoveries

Meccs

@Meccs_
A lot of times I'll chain fair somebody so many times off stage i lose my place because the camera zooms in too far and you can no longer see the stage, most of the time I survive but a couple times it taken too long to zoom back out and I've died (since I used my DJ Fairing them) which is an embarassment to every Ness main there is so I'm sorry.
Plus it's infinitely harder to pull off a Wall Bounce PK Thunder (Idk if that has an official name, but thats what I'm calling it) on WiFi. That can be incredibly helpful so it really hurts.

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
Ninten Alt when? That seems like a given, it's pretty surprising they didn't have it as one of his 8.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah I remember the japanese tier list didn't have him as very high; but that was a couple weeks after the game had been out and it was accepted by both communities that although their top tier was pretty accurate, anything below that was pure speculation.

I think what happenes was they saw ness and how he was seemingly very similar to his Brawl incarnation and thought "well he'll probably end up in a similar spot" among a few other things, mainly that other characters just seemed so relatively buffed whereas Ness' changes were far more subtle. :)

I think after a while they'll put him quite a way higher too. :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Cross country connections are usually pretty good unless in rare circumstances. I'd be happy to do some dittos if you so desire.

I'm also trying to figure out who I want as my secondary and tertiary and i'm tossing up between Duck Hunt Duo and Bowser Jr. Both of them are adorable and I enjoy their playstyle, they fell a bit clunky to me sometimes but I really enjoy playing as them. :D

So if I go as them when we play don't be surprised. :p

Though with Mewtwo's confirmation as DLC i'm lobbying for Lucas again. If he gets back in i'm already co-maining him along with Ness like the good old glory days of my Brawl career. :D

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Can someone help me learn how to set-up wifi on DS in dorms? Like I would love to play people with Ness and do some friendlies but....

J is really bad at technology.

Tikao

Smash Ace
Lucas is actually deconfirmed with ness' custom specials
if they plan on adding him as an dlc charakter, then he'll be a nearly exakt clone of ness (like lucina-marf) or have completely different specials, and i don't think they would put so much work into this, so a ness clone is the best to hope for

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Lucas is actually deconfirmed with ness' custom specials
if they plan on adding him as an dlc charakter, then he'll be a nearly exakt clone of ness (like lucina-marf) or have completely different specials, and i don't think they would put so much work into this, so a ness clone is the best to hope for
Did you know most of Lucas' A moves and grab are different from Ness'? That's different enough as it is.

Tikao

Smash Ace
his EXAKT specials are already in the game, so he needs new ones to be his own charakter, or he becomes a clone
i don't think there is something in between with exakt specials but totally different smashes/tilts/aerials/grabs/throws

there are those 3 clones and just different charakters, nothing in between

i don't like it myself, but I'm being realistic

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
his EXAKT specials are already in the game, so he needs new ones to be his own charakter, or he becomes a clone
i don't think there is something in between with exakt specials but totally different smashes/tilts/aerials/grabs/throws

there are those 3 clones and just different charakters, nothing in between

i don't like it myself, but I'm being realistic
Now let's not jump to conclusions when we say "exact". The custom specials for Ness are actually significantly different from Lucas in a way that could actually keep Lucas the way we (I) love him to be. :p

But really, the PK Thunder doesn't go as far and doesn't travel anywhere near as fast as Lucas' used to. I think its multi-hitting hitboxes are slightly different too.

The PK Freeze moves in the exact same way as Ness' PK flash. It's incredibly hard to manouvre and is nothing like Lucas' old Pk Freeze.

The PSI Magnet's hitbox is different from Lucas' and Ness can only absorb from the front, unlike Lucas who turned any which way the energy-based source came from.

Finally the PK fire is more focused on 2 separate hitboxes (1 of which that can often be SDI'd out of) than the one biggie most people got hit by from Lucas, also looks visually like ness' instead of Lucas'.

These specials are not Lucas', nor do they make me feel like i'm playing as him. Ness' mechanics are too different from Lucas' to make that PK Fire feel even remotely as useful as it was in Brawl, same with that PK Freeze and to a lesser extent PSI Magnet.

If you also add in that Lucas has a bunch of different a-moves than Ness, suddenly it's easy to see how different they could be, especially in a competitive arena. I think you're under-estimating their differences, Tikao. ;)

@ #HBC | J #HBC | J : If you have a router that connects your flat/room to the internet, then what you should be able to do is go into the 3DS main menu, go to settings, go to internet settings, then connection points or something like that and it should prompt you from there. But basically you have to know your password to use your internet if you have it. Ummm, i'm not too good with it myself but that's the general direction you should be taking I reckon. ^_^

Last edited:

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
Damn it everyone stop making Luco write essays ( Jk Luco )

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Damn it everyone stop making Luco write essays ( Jk Luco )
I wouldn't get prickled by these jokes if it wasn't for the fact that my essays were criticised in the Aus section for too much superflousness in what I was trying to say, so then I get a bit paranoid. XD :p

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'm getting more and more aggravated at this game as I play it. I'm gonna stop playing the 3DS version because I can't do any precise actions with it. See you all at the time of the Wii U launch! or not, I might just go back to melee.

JK, just being annoyed at the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom