• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Noa.

Smash Master
Good luck!

I got second at the tourney. I was one uair away from winning. But I got baited and got hit with peach Bair and died. Second is still cute.

And I was really feeling my oats too.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
The Gamestop where I got Smash for Wii U had a 3DS tournament last night, there were 16 players, some good, some bad. But, I managed to take it as Ness. I only dropped 2 games, and no sets. I only played Ness the whole time. It was small, but it felt pretty good. I have no doubt that Ness is viable in this game. Keep at it, Ness players.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I'm going to my first Smash 4 tourney on Saturday. :D

Now, you know what the funny thing is?
At first, I thought I could've just signed up for the Wii U version and enter blindly.
But then I find out they're linked and so I'm like "NOOOOO I CAN'T ATTEND" (Pools will be done on 3DS, Top 16 who make it to bracket will play on Wii U).
Fortunately my friend is lending me his 3DS on Monday.

...So I'm gonna enter a tourney with less than a week's playtime of the game and have no knowledge/playtime on the Wii U one at all. :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well I hope I did you guys proud!

I came first in a 40-man tournament (that's big for an Australian tournament) and went with Ness the whole way. :D

And I beat quite a lot of really good Aus players! :D

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
That's awesome contgrats. I don't know of that many Australian players but you beat Shaya and I know he's good.

ilysm

sleepy
Anyone have a definitive music list for the Wii U version of the Onett stage yet? I've been listening to the old songs and I'm getting nostalgic for my favorite series of games (the original MOTHER was great, and Bein' Freinds and Pollyanna bring back happy memories).

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Is there anyone that goes by the name of BO JACKSON on here? 'CAuse I am getting lit right up. I need to learn this match-up posthaste because this is almost annoyingly frustrating to fight oh my god.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Palutena versus Ness... if customs are allowed i'd suggest lightweight and super speed and go for combos that puts Ness on the defensive. Otherwise if you're stuck with normal stuff, try going for things like Dthrow (I think it's Dthrow but I might be wrong) to Nair and combo Ness up. You have the advantage of being surprisingly heavy and Ness can find it hard to kill palutena early. Also Usmash is a good tool to surprise a Ness trying to get down to the stage if you're juggling.

Reflect can work if you predict the PK Fire / Thunder, and counter is handy as a mix-up for avoiding juggles. Auto-reticle is also good as a mix-up but over-using it will let Ness absorb it, you get the idea.

Overall you should find if you have the mobility to work with it your aerials should do at least as much to Ness as he's doing to you, but I reckon this MU is probably somewhat difficult for Palutena naturally. Not sure.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Palutena ain't working out so well. I appreciate the feedback though!

I main Sonic in this game (haven't put him up yet), and he's given me my best results for now. But goddamn. fkasjdh

If that person is on here, kudos. Dang.

[EDIT]

I just got straight-up embarrassed by him sometimes. Dang. I gotta play more online and understand the match-up better. Ness' backthrow killed me at 80% from the edge of FD (Luigi's Mansion). /salt

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Palutena ain't working out so well. I appreciate the feedback though!

I main Sonic in this game (haven't put him up yet), and he's given me my best results for now. But goddamn. fkasjdh

If that person is on here, kudos. Dang.

[EDIT]

I just got straight-up embarrassed by him sometimes. Dang. I gotta play more online and understand the match-up better. Ness' backthrow killed me at 80% from the edge of FD (Luigi's Mansion). /salt
Ahhh right Wii U version. Australia hasn't quite got that yet... :p

Well Ness is one of the characters who lets rage do the work for him. He really can kill early with rage, sometimes ludicrously so. :O

Just be aware of the Bthrow at about 120%+, or 90%+ if he has rage kicking into gear. ^_^

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Ahhh right Wii U version. Australia hasn't quite got that yet... :p

Well Ness is one of the characters who lets rage do the work for him. He really can kill early with rage, sometimes ludicrously so. :O

Just be aware of the Bthrow at about 120%+, or 90%+ if he has rage kicking into gear. ^_^
Duly noted. Appreciate the support.

Tikao

Smash Ace
generally speaking, his killmoves are bthrow, uair and sweetspotted bair, just be aware of that
dsmash can kill near the ledge, since it has a weird trajectory, but it is laggy
fsmash can kill pretty early, but it is slow and unsafe
then the pkt2 kills, but they're mostly mindgames after you got juggled with pkt1

ness' dair is useless onstage so he can be juggled quite easily

if ness recovers near to the edge, you can try to just hit him out of his recovery, before he hits himself with his pk-thunder

if you play sonic, then you could up-b over him, so the springboard hits him while he is still trying to hit himself or after he did that, when pkt2 connects with anything (including projectiles like sonic's springboard), then pkt2's range gets halfed
sometimes you can even just jump into it yourself and tech it, you need that tech

his nair is the definition of a combobreaker if you're close enough to him, be aware of that move

pk-fire is quite laggy, try to punish that move

Ness' grabs are pretty fast and got a decent range while his dthrow is a great combo starter, try to not get grabbed (which is always easy to say)

Ness with ragemode + his bthrow is a biest

most general stuff i can think of right now

Tikao

Smash Ace
villager's fsmash bowlingball is a projectile and therefore can be reflected by Ness' fsmash

Ness' laggy early KO fsmash counters villagers laggy early KO move ... kinda funny

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yes, it reflects it. You end up hitting Villager with a 1.5x power bowling ball AND your bat. If you hit with the tipper, it kills at like 35% XD

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Ness has been treating me well here at college thus far. It's pretty awesome. It's funny to have people rage at my Ness and it's actually because he is really good besides I just play the PK boys a lot haha. I cannot wait to go to my first tournament because I feel really confident with him.

Also, I got modded so that's another SWF update.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Man, Ness is so sweet in this game. I was immediately able to pick him up and actually wreck people pretty good with him. PK Fire to down throw to up air is my bread and butter.

Being a huge Earthbound fan, I'm glad he got buffed and is pretty viable this time around.

Happy to be a Ness main. :4ness:

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ness has been treating me well here at college thus far. It's pretty awesome. It's funny to have people rage at my Ness and it's actually because he is really good besides I just play the PK boys a lot haha. I cannot wait to go to my first tournament because I feel really confident with him.

Woahhhh, congrats on getting modded J!!! :D

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

Ness and Lucas have been working for me at my school's game club too when we play Brawl. Except against one person who often uses Marth, Wolf, and ROB, but they tend to do well vs everyone else, and vs ROB battles have been really close (like, both at 140% close).

Here's to hoping Lucas for DLC, and if he is, that Lucas amiibo for purchase too!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
That wasn't bad for an early guide. However, I did have a few problems with some things he mentioned.

I just need to say that dtilt is a lot worse than he said it was. Like a LOT. I think it's Ness' worst or second worst move. The hitstun is so very bad that it doesn't even combo into itself properly. In addition to that, the trip is unreliable, and the damage is just pitiful.
PKF to fsmash isn't guaranteed, doesn't even work in most cases. Only really works if you get them RIGHT in the center of the flame, and you're right next to them too.
Fthrow and dthrow don't have set knockback, so dthrow combos change with damage.
Some of those dthrow combos don't work. Most notably dthrow to bair. You'd be surprised at how early people can get out of dthrow combos with proper DI and a double jump+air dodge.

But I'm not here to just straight up bash the guy. He did mention some things that I'm glad he did.
I'm glad he showed the swift movements of Ness' aerials and fast falling.
Making reads with PKF is very important.
Oh, and he displayed PKT2 bounce recovery. Important knowledge.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
It sort of depends on the character you're facing too. Some characters can just jump out of it really quickly, before you can even get through the startup of the bat. Some characters (and this blows my friggin mind), can actually hit you between the burns of the flame. I know for a fact that Sheik can mash out jabs that'll hit you if you try a move that's too slow >_>

Noa.

Smash Master
Meh it depends on where you land the pk fire. If you land it on the edge some characters can jab in between the pk fire hitboxes. But if it hits them dead center they can't jab at all. Pk fire to fsmash is sometimes guaranteed, sometimes based on a read, sometimes impossible.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
PK fire into Fsmash is easily obtained when you land it while they are close to you. I do it consistently.
This is true, though EB360 is right in that they need to be caught in the centre of the flame pillar, otherwise they can jump back out and others can hit you in between PK fire hits. I can show you when the videos get uploaded, although in most of my examples the other person is far away, the point still stands that if they're not caught in the centre they just mash jump out. Makes me sad :(

Snerp

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if chaining PK Fires on heavier characters is due to poor DI or is that just how the game works? I've been able to consistently do 4-5 PK Fires in a row against D3, Bowser, and Ganon in For Glory.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Does anyone know if chaining PK Fires on heavier characters is due to poor DI or is that just how the game works? I've been able to consistently do 4-5 PK Fires in a row against D3, Bowser, and Ganon in For Glory.
They're just not handling it correctly. I've played a Bowser that was consistently able to get out of PKF incredibly quickly, like before I could even grab him.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
They're just not handling it correctly. I've played a Bowser that was consistently able to get out of PKF incredibly quickly, like before I could even grab him.
I've played Bowsers who used jab even though they were getting burned by the fire pillar of PK Fire. This was at lower percents and it became less frequent the higher his damage.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
hi everyone.
getting smash 4 wii u tomorrow. maining ness ofc.
hopefully will get to be a part of this community! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom