• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The story behind GameuniCON 2009 &John Keough Donations to save GU & pay winners UP!

Prawn

Smash Master
Make sure when you contact the news companies you make it known that he screwed kids out of money, people have a soft spot for children. lol

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Make sure when you contact the news companies you make it known that he screwed kids out of money, people have a soft spot for children. lol
Yes, it's all about the children. Especially if they're gifted. I'm not so sure 15-18 yearolds (what is the average age of Competitive American Smashers, anyway? 17?) qualifies as "Children", though. At least not the kind that people love to feel sorry for just because they're children.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Hax, JMan, ADHD, Mango, Hungrybox, and some others definitely aren't "adults". No offense to them, of course, but they aren't 18 yet, nor are they in college.

edit: We can't forget to mention Connor, xD. And Armada...even though he's in Europe, and doesn't pertain to this particular situation.

Ladybot

Smash Rookie
Yes, I registered just so I could leave a comment.

That story is insane. I wanted to confirm that the John Keough who ran this con and the John Keough who is accused of home invasion are one in the same. Google sleuthing confirms the mailing address of "Keough Gaming/Enterprises" and the guy arrested in Pawtucket are a match. Sorry if I'm late to the party on this realization.

So, have the relevant police departments or district attorneys been told about all this yet? That wasn't clear. ^^' I mean, if he's scammed people and there's an active investigation going on about this guy, chances are nobody's going to say poo to knowledge about this guy pulling a fast one. I'm curious if there's paperwork from this guy or stuff in writing about his promises to pay things back. I have a feeling there isn't. If the dude's got some scam going on, esp. a scam w/his prison buddies, who the hell knows, it's probably not a bad idea to go to the cops. I'm no lawyer or cop, but if we're talking some massive conspiracy to defraud, I'm sure the DAs prosecuting the guy want as much as they can possibly throw at this guy.

As a side note, my husband and I are on the staff of Undisclosed Legitimate Anime Convention, and he thinks this guy came to our booth at Connecticon and tried to get us interested in his "business." His credential was a business "card" that seemed to have been printed out on resume paper and cut with scissors. Word to the wise defrauder: in the future, invest in business cards from one of the many inexpensive printers you can find online. :dizzy: It adds credibility to your scam.

Good luck to everyone who lost money to this John Keough bum. May he get what's coming to him.

Xelyst

-_-
when i herd he was in serious trouble with the company

i really didn't think...

that something like this would end up being the case <_<

it's just horrible to hear how this will mean bad news for gameuni =(

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Watch out Banks, you shouldn't keep posting in here. I heard John Keough was convicted for robbing you.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Has a paypal account been made, or some type of donation medium? I know I could get a lot of people to help, and I would drop 20+ a week to help you guys out. I didn't even go and don't even know you guys personally, but I feel like you guys are my family and we have to stick together, no matter where or when or what happens. Whatever you need man

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Wow, that was a low blow to the gamer community all around.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
saving GU is the main priority! so at first yes! but i would like to help players get paid, and many people seem to have overdrawn as well.. so that is also a benefit of this

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
saving GU is the main priority! so at first yes! but i would like to help players get paid, and many people seem to have overdrawn as well.. so that is also a benefit of this
Thanks so much Jake. I can't believe how amazing all of you are being. I want to make sure you are involved 100% in exactly how that money is spent. I would still prefer to pay the players first or asap. I hope you can keep a record of who donates so we can hook them up later if we ever get in the position to again.

We are working on selling the store or getting investors involved as well.

How about some good news here....

WAAF has contacted me because GameUniCon went so well in the eyes of the public and their street team (keep in mind that only a relative few insider people know about the Keough situation) and has asked me to run a medium sized video game event for them in December. :)

I'm trying to get something great together for it and most likely it will be a free or very cheap event with tournaments for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Smash and Street Fighter 4. I am pushing to get WAAF's other sponsors for this event to give us cash prizes too!

If this goes well they may actually help make a second GameUniCon happen and get big corporate sponsors to help....

This is all in the planning stages and our store is still in big trouble but I thought you guys would like some good news....

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
hmm i would worry about the store and keeping people out of jail before giving kids their gaming money

or at least just give them considerably less
Well we aren't going to jail... that's John Keough who doesn't work for us or have any relation to Game Universe. I don't want him out of jail. He deserves to be there.

The store is fd either way... our reputation for running tournaments fairly is way more important than saving our store at this point.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
If your store goes under, then there wont BE any more fairly run tournaments.
That's no good.

So we aren't going to let you guys go under. :D

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Jake keep an updated list of whos donated on here..
good idea fatal

If the amount of money needed to keep GU alive (Undoubtedly without question) is attainable in a reasonable amount of time, then they should make it 1st priority. The fact that paying the winners first is being brought up suggests to me that getting to whatever amount it is to keep GU alive through us(or whatever other means) is improbable and/or will not occur in reasonable fashion.

What I'd hate to see happen is GU fight on its last stand for an extended period of time struggling to make bar. I fear that situations like that tend to hurt you more than help.

What I'm trying to say is that if GU is inevitably going to reach the point of non-existence at a high enough rate, then I feel it's best not to fight it(refer to the latter).

I do not know the exact situation and it is really not too much of my business....I'm just making inferences....this is just what seems to be my perception the dilemma

Top Bottom