• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
Hey all, I found this glitch with Sonic today and thought I'd share it. I didn't read the rest of this thread, so forgive me if it's already been posted.

Since I can't put videos online, I'm just going to try to describe this as best I can. I didn't investigate it too much, and it only happened on a custom stage, but it was still a very, very strange glitch.

If you start Sonic's side-b on an incline and then run it off the edge of a flat surface, Sonic will actually do his Side-B through the air horizontal as if he was on the ground. The only difference is that he's defying gravity and traveling through the air. I'm not kidding, it's totally crazy. The Side-b acts exactly like it does on the ground, you can jump out of it and stuff. Sonic even skids to a halt at the end of the move like he does on the ground, but it's very strange in mid air.

Maybe this will help make it clearer. The set up of my custom stage looks a bit like the left side of this stage...
http://smashboards.com/stagebrowser.php?do=view&stageid=162
except the ramp should be as short and as steep as possible (1 block, if you know what I mean).

I hope someone gets a chance to test this, because it's really interesting, but probably not very applicable to Sonic's metagame.

Edit: this is the exact stage I used as a basis for mine. The glitch occurs in the middle pit, if you start the spin dash on the left incline it continues across to the right side of the screen in mid-air.

http://smashboards.com/stagebrowser.php?do=view&stageid=85

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Making an edit to Lucky's edge hog tech. I discovered that you don't need to do any weird "hadoken" kind of manipulation to the controls, you just need to hit a downward diagonal angle on your control stick. I'll test it out a bit more but I'm finding this a lot easier than the thing Lucky suggested.

EDIT: It's just a downward angle that you need, doesn't have to be diagonal or anything. It makes this so much easier to do it's ridiculous. I kept falling off the edge using Lucky's way, but this is basically second nature to me now.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^That edge hug thing isn't right. You don't need to hold towards the stage to get it to work. The input after falling off the stage just needs to be a fast-fall input. Trying to hit another unnecessary angle on the control stick just makes life harder.

And I'm amazed it's taken this long for someone to put up a video with the stutter step in it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I should add my Brawl Code to my user info. Then I can play with you guys online :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was playing around with the spring gimp a bit and I think combining the spring jump with a footstool adds to the knock back your springs gives but I'm not entirely sure so don't quote me on that yet.

So basically, when you're in a position where you can footstool, just up-b instead and sonic will do both at the same time. Even if it doesn't do anything it produces a slightly different animation that looks kind of funny. Nothing ground breaking but there you are.

Browny

Smash Hater
wtf. i got no ideas explaining that one :/

looks like a semi-footstool jump initiated by the spring, instead of actually jumping on thier heads.
just a guess

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Hey its Sonic Orochi! I've seen a few of your vids and they have really helped me out. (I'm RocketRaccoon89 on YouTube btw).

Anyways the only possible thing I can think of is that you may have clipped Pit as you used your dair. Maybe if you hit someone with it you get your UpB back. Someone care to test that? Given the room you would need for that too happen it's probably very situational.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
omg, now I see it... Pit Footstool'd me when I daired... bah, nevermind this xD

It's just that I haven't played Brawl in quite a while =P

^That edge hug thing isn't right. You don't need to hold towards the stage to get it to work. The input after falling off the stage just needs to be a fast-fall input. Trying to hit another unnecessary angle on the control stick just makes life harder.

And I'm amazed it's taken this long for someone to put up a video with the stutter step in it.
I, for one, can't use that "Hadouken" thingy correctly 100% of the time. Since I run towards the edge and fastfall with a diagonal input, I found that it's much easier to hug the edge by pressing the opposite diagonal (up and towards the stage). I find this easier to perform and works 100% for me.

Hey its Sonic Orochi! I've seen a few of your vids and they have really helped me out. (I'm RocketRaccoon89 on YouTube btw).

Anyways the only possible thing I can think of is that you may have clipped Pit as you used your dair. Maybe if you hit someone with it you get your UpB back. Someone care to test that? Given the room you would need for that too happen it's probably very situational.
Hey, good to know that my vids worked for someone xD I'll be working on a Homing Attack one tomorrow... hopefully it will be up by sunday... >_>

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Orochi I'm totally kidding.

And sticky FTW :D

EDIT: I might add that infinite jab combo. Seems pretty general though. Lot of people seemed to get excited about it anyways so that's a reason to post it up here. Anyone think it should be added?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
It meets the qualifications. And, while about a third of the roster can do it not everyone can. Plus it's fairly useful. Don't see a reason not to.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Hard to incorporate. Just add a section on jab-locking. Also, usmash spiking, since I actually managed to get one (on accident) in the middle of a match v Ness.

Sonic's dash dance is pretty hot. I need to practice it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Usmash spiking seemed almost entirely random to me. I've not been able to get it to work reliably in practice so that's really the only reason I haven't put it up there, but I'll put jab-locking up.

EDIT: I made some changes to the dair-cancel entry. I realize now that at the point you can jump cancel you can also spring jump or use your homing attack to cancel the move. I discovered this while trying to incorporate a homing attack into the dair-gimp-game.

So, I once again (this must be my 4th mistake at least) apologize for any confusion I created :(
On the bright side, after you dair into someone you can use your neutral b to gimp them which makes dair all that more viable as a gimp method. I'm playing around with spring gimping in combination with dair gimping as well, and I once got an interesting effect where I dair-ed someone into the side of the platform which placed them perfectly for a spring gimp which sent them to their death. It's tricky to recreate and won't work on levels that don't have angled sides but it's something to note, I think.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hey all, I found this glitch with Sonic today and thought I'd share it. I didn't read the rest of this thread, so forgive me if it's already been posted.

Since I can't put videos online, I'm just going to try to describe this as best I can. I didn't investigate it too much, and it only happened on a custom stage, but it was still a very, very strange glitch.

If you start Sonic's side-b on an incline and then run it off the edge of a flat surface, Sonic will actually do his Side-B through the air horizontal as if he was on the ground. The only difference is that he's defying gravity and traveling through the air. I'm not kidding, it's totally crazy. The Side-b acts exactly like it does on the ground, you can jump out of it and stuff. Sonic even skids to a halt at the end of the move like he does on the ground, but it's very strange in mid air.

Maybe this will help make it clearer. The set up of my custom stage looks a bit like the left side of this stage...
http://smashboards.com/stagebrowser.php?do=view&stageid=162
except the ramp should be as short and as steep as possible (1 block, if you know what I mean).

I hope someone gets a chance to test this, because it's really interesting, but probably not very applicable to Sonic's metagame.

Edit: this is the exact stage I used as a basis for mine. The glitch occurs in the middle pit, if you start the spin dash on the left incline it continues across to the right side of the screen in mid-air.

http://smashboards.com/stagebrowser.php?do=view&stageid=85

Tested this out and the non-custom stages that this will actually work on are: F-zero for some of the race cars (like #13), Pokemon Stadium II (Earth stage), Pokemon Stadium I (Earth, Water, Jungle stages), Brinstar (after you destroy the platform strings on the sides), Onett, Delfino Plaza (at the end of the rotation over the sun), New Pork City, Yoshi's Island, and Hyrule Temple.

I'll add it to the front page. I'm calling it an incline glitch for now but if you want to give it a different name feel free to suggest something.

Browny

Smash Hater
Usmash spiking seemed almost entirely random to me. I've not been able to get it to work reliably in practice so that's really the only reason I haven't put it up there, but I'll put jab-locking up.
its not random... theres just a specific % range the enemy has to be in. They dont have to be over the edge either, it will spike them onto the stage if you are not near the edge. Its hard to actually plan to do it since placement is important but it will happen every time provided the enemy chooses the wrong location to set up camp :p

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been reproted or not, but I would like you all to know that doing a d-air to sonics spring that has been left on the groun(or any spring for that matter) will allow you to do continuous D-airs while staying stationary over the spring.

Here's a thread on brawl central when I first discovered this http://brawlcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12011&p=248266#p248266

Not groundbreaking, but maybe addable

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
dj, what I'd like to know is if you need to do anything fancy like hit them on a certain part or at a certain angle for it to work. If it really is just something that happens at certain percents though I don't see why I would put it up here... it's not really a tech it's just a property of the attack.

Adamated, I'll add it. Mostly just to keep someone else from mentioning it like it's a new discovery and wasting people's time.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Dair-homing seems like a really clever tech because of the upward angle it sends the opponent at. I need to know if dair has more priority than spacies' recoveries. Minus wold cause he's pretty easy to gimp anyway.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Frost, it's fairly easy to dair into them before they get it off so that normally doesn't even matter. But if you don't, you will both get injured. It is obviously a worse outcome, but it will still cause the space animals to die 9/10.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
footstooled allowed another spring jump... which reminds me, you can use the spring jump to recover from spikes if your timing is correct. I don't remember the details, such as my damage percentage and on exactly what frame I performed it at, all I know is that I was trying to recover, a Marth spiked me, and I spring jumped, returning to the stage and actually eliminting Marth because the sprng hit him and he didn't know wtf happened to him. Marth coulda recovered, but the human shock of the maneuver prevented it.

Spring jump is god. Although it's all been mentioned before, look at all of its uses in one post:
Recovery (great horizontal recovery if you attack at the top of the jump)
Combo Escape (and apparently invincibility frames)
Aerial pursuit (of course, you opponent can DI or dodge, but if they don't, you know what you must do)
Attack avoidance (and use dair for lag punishment if ur opponent failed epicly)
Annoyance (use it for the sole fact that you can jump that high and throw your opponent off his game by doing randomness)

Napilopez

Smash Lord
footstooled allowed another spring jump... which reminds me, you can use the spring jump to recover from spikes if your timing is correct. I don't remember the details, such as my damage percentage and on exactly what frame I performed it at, all I know is that I was trying to recover, a Marth spiked me, and I spring jumped, returning to the stage and actually eliminting Marth because the sprng hit him and he didn't know wtf happened to him. Marth coulda recovered, but the human shock of the maneuver prevented it.

Spring jump is god. Although it's all been mentioned before, look at all of its uses in one post:
Recovery (great horizontal recovery if you attack at the top of the jump)
Combo Escape (and apparently invincibility frames)
Aerial pursuit (of course, you opponent can DI or dodge, but if they don't, you know what you must do)
Attack avoidance (and use dair for lag punishment if ur opponent failed epicly)
Annoyance (use it for the sole fact that you can jump that high and throw your opponent off his game by doing randomness)
Dont forget annoying the heck out of your opponent just dropping the spring on him or her over and over again haha

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
dj, what I'd like to know is if you need to do anything fancy like hit them on a certain part or at a certain angle for it to work. If it really is just something that happens at certain percents though I don't see why I would put it up here... it's not really a tech it's just a property of the attack.

Adamated, I'll add it. Mostly just to keep someone else from mentioning it like it's a new discovery and wasting people's time.
Sweet, thanks dude.

Rak

Smash Cadet

Yea, except I mentioned that along with the double spring jump back on page 4,

but w/e

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Didn't mean to stiff you man. But Adamated made that thread before I made this one so your post takes less priority :D

It was just because he brought it up again that I figured I might as well. Plus, it makes the list look more official the longer it gets :)

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Wait till I'm able to post the real double spring...

I can't figure out my capture card so I'm getting a DVR instead.
The real double spring jump?

Explain... Doing a spring jump eliminates the ability to do any special unless you're hit... so you have to explain... this could mean pointless spring jumps into spin dashes are homing attacks if you ain't joking.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Dair-homing seems like a really clever tech because of the upward angle it sends the opponent at. I need to know if dair has more priority than spacies' recoveries. Minus wold cause he's pretty easy to gimp anyway.
Has anyone tested this yet? I really never thought of it, but I think it's kinda risky, since it's possible that the opponent may air dodge and you'll just Homing towards your doom, unless you double jump before dairing. But then, you'll only have your Spring to recover, which could be bad if you missed that dair.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I don't exactly understand what you're asking, Orochi.
If it's just about dair then I'm pretty sure that hitting a spacey while dairing causes both sides to get hurt.
As far as using dair as an edge guard goes, I do it all the time. ALL THE TIME :O

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
On the Fair reflecting, I have no clue how but I manged to do it a short range in a match against the cpu. FD was the stage and I could not reproduce it again. I honestly think it may be a property of Lucario's life energy and not really sonic.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol i dont know whether this counts as a glitch/tech whatever

but if you run full speed into a wall like in shadow moses island, sonic will run up the wall and do a backflip :>

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i personally saw the reflection thing... a friend of mine did it to a pikachu, on a created stage. so when we put everyones experiences together, it has to be sonic doing something special

Top Bottom