• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Yes, you can use any attack or move in any direction as if he were stationary. It's advantages are that it doesn't go as far as the shield cancel and it isn't as close as a stutter step. You can dash behind your opponent and Fsmash.

I don't have any good recording equipment on me, so I'll just try to explain what it looks like.

Sonic *starts* the initial dash animation (Dash animation is when you tap forward once and he slides with both legs apart, the only ground attacks he can use are the dash attack and upsmash).

If you were to tap forward twice, he will skid as if he had just finished his running animation (the same as if you were to hold down the button until you see him doing his super peel out. This is when he brakes, classic sonic style) and can use any attack since he will be at the neutral position after he's done skidding.

You can also reverse it, but I won't go into that right now.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Yea, you just move further. Like I said, it might be useful it might not be, but this is a "glitch" thread, so I thought it warranted inclusion. The more people know about it the more likely that if there's a use for it then it'll be found.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Frost, I guess that explains why the other version of the stutter step works. The game is probably recognizing the dash cancel and the forward smash happening at the same time. I will add it after I tested it out a bit because I don't want to have to deal with another "homing cancel" deal where I'm just misleading and confusing people.

Catfish Mike, hmmmmmm. I will test this as well. I may or may not put it up based on the results. I want to know exactly how it looks when done or my description is basically going to just mirror yours, and no offense but your description is not specific enough as to be helpful.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Can you send replays to friends? If so then I'll just record it and send it to you, that would be the easiest thing to do.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i dont see why spin shot is so good. i mean there really is no reason to use it on the ground.

because the down B spindash + jumping makes sonic go way further, u still retain your 2nd jump, and its cancelable into an attack just the same.

the spin shot really looks like it goes almost the same distance as a >B spin dash plus using the second jump after you have moved horizontally.

i mean i guess its still applicable just because it is an unexpected movement. but over all arent other options that sonic has just as good if not better?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Lol, who said the spin shot was "so good?"

It's just something different that only Sonic can do so a lot of people wanted to talk about it. I would probably never use this from the ground since it's not all that hard to predict and it carries the huge downside of taking away your second jump.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Spinshot adds another option to Sonic's plethora of recovery options. It makes his recovery abit more unpredictable.
I'm proud to say I can do it unconsciously (just wanted to get that out *grin)

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Good job hat donning cat!
I'm proud to say I can unconsciously massage my groin (just wanted to get that out *grin)

Ok in all seriousness could you people help test some of this stuff? @_@
I'm going to have a bunch of stuff to test when I get back from spring break if no one does anything.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Hm i wonder how zeal is increasing the Dsmash's range.

Perhaps he is doing something similar to what is done withthe Dsmash. Taking advantage of the slide that Sonic does when he is in the middle of an attack.
Perhaps its possible to cancel the dashing animation into the D smash animation preserving the momentum of the dash?

Hmm I wish I could test on my wii right now =(

Aftermath

Smash Champion
You should add a little thing onto the smash tilting. If you hold down/up on the control stick and cstick your fsmash, you can angle it, which you can't do by smashing with the control stick alone.

Also, foxtrotting into fsmashes is good, and you can use it with a stutter step at the end to get more distance, up to about 1/3 of FD. It's a bit more telegraphed than stutter stepping alone, but given Sonic's fast initial dash speed, you can still punish laggy aerials rather well. You could probably tack on a sentence about this and the other stuff of dash cancels, like the couple i have below.

Edit: To try to explain what Catfish_Mike was saying earlier, if you do the foxtrot and get the inital dash stopping animation, then barely hold forward as it starts, you slide pretty far until the end of it. The initial dash without holding forward covers about 1/4 of FD, with holding forward you slide to the halfway point. Looks pretty weird, but I haven't found much use for it, but since it's basically a slide at running speed that you can cancel into a few attacks, someone better than me should be able to find an exploit.

Also, about the dash cancel into any move. It's even more generic, you just have to get Sonic into the stopping animation for his full run. The shortest way to do this is tapping forward twice, after about 1/4 of a second of the animation, you can interrupt it with anything.

Again, both techniques doable with any character, but should probably get a sentence or two note because they cover so much more distance with Sonic as opposed to everyone else.

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
I'd like to note that Sonic's side B does NOT have any invincibilty frames. There is only a moment of high priority during the initial hop. I tested it by firing Falco's blaster at him when he started the spin dash. However, I'd like for someone else to test this as well to validate this.

DangerD

Smash Rookie
people probably already know this but you might want to add it into your guide.

for the best horizontal recovery distance after being knocked far off the stage do a side B then recover vertically with your midair jump and up B. in most ariel stages you can use this to safely recover even from the farthest corner. (to get an idea of how much space sonic covers in this jump go to the most bottom platform of hyrule and jump right, side B, midair jump, up B and either wall jump or change direction during your up B to grab the ledge. if timed right you should be able to make it to the solid edge of the uppermost right platform.)

and you may want to note that you can wall jump after using up b. although it doesnt enable you to perform another special move you can perform a standard ariel attack with increased vertical reach due to your change in momentum for your F air. im not saying thats a glitch or something all im saying is it can help you direct your attack by changing your usual upward/downward momentum. most stages wont apply but this may be useful in stages like shadow moses and hyrule

although the homing attack can be spammed to go under a stage i have found 2 methods to be easier. one is that you do happen to do a homing attack under a platform, afterwards you can do a spindash to the other side and you your midair and up b to grab onto the other ledge. or you can use a much easier and more effective way by jumping off the side of the platform, spindasing (side b) underneath, and using your midair jump and up b to find the ledge when you reach the opposite side of the platform. you can get on the other side easily without grabbing (if the person is attempting to hang onto the ledge to edgegaurd you) or wait an extra sec and grab the ledge if you wanted to make use of the invincibility frames or edgegaurd someone else (maybe in a free for all?). if nothing else this can be used as a mind game.

theres one more thing im not so sure about. i know its difficult to do a dash and change direction quickly to do a forward tilt but when sonic runs into a wall he uses the wall to perform a little backflip and can turn around and attack using the forward tilt (maybe other moves i just havent tried it that much yet) faster than he normally would. its still got that moment when you have to wait for sonic to flip and its alot slower than the 180 grab so there may not be a real use for it or there maybe another way around the lag, im just throwing that idea out there. most other characters just push off the walls when they run into them the flip may just be sonics variation of this, although it seems quicker than other characters maybe leading to some sort of advantage.

ive figured out most of this stuff out on training mode or vs matches and it may not be much use but maybe one of you smash gurus can take this and apply it to something if you havent already. test this out and comment twinkle toes

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Guys, I really need help with the stutter step. I don't think I'm doing it right. Can someone help of give a vid of what it looks like exactly. I'd appreciate it.

Rak

Smash Cadet
Some interesting spring properties:

You can upB off the ground and then dair to the spring at any height. Around half way up you have to start DI'ing back so that you hit the spring and not in front of it. But at lower heights you can just dair repeatedly, and it looks pretty fast and might be good for mindgames, you can immediately dair about seven or eight times before the spring disappears, in which case you let yourself go all the way up and dair to the ground for no lag to an immeadiate upB again, if you want... Note: that you obviously can't do an immediate spring dair the first time(right after the upB) because there's that lag... and he spring only stays around if you upB off the ground..

Also there's the double spring jump. If you hit someone up and then follow them up with an upB to upair from the ground so your spring stays, and it doesn't kill them, you could either fall back on the spring for a lagless springjump(you can arial while going up) if they don't get hit that high and are coming down faster to dair you or something... or if they're hit high up and you won't be able to reach them by immediately falling back on the spring, you can hit the ground first and then jump on the idle spring to bounce up and then either arial or follow it up with another upB. it definately gives sonic the highest jump in the game. Summary: touching the ground after springing enables you to do it again, even if there's one sitting there that you could use

also the dair momentum break is not a glitch or a flaw in the game physics, if anything its more physically acurate. They purposely took it out when you get hit and you're in launch frames so you won't be able to just dair out of everyones up smash and prevent yourself from dying off the top of the screen. Seems like a simple fix to a previously broken mechanic that allowed you to halt all your launch momentum that they tested for and fixed. I'm sure other diving dairs like ZS, T.Link, and Sheik work the same way.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to come off as being overly harsh or mean, but people seriously need to get acquainted with these forums and figure out what is common knowledge before posting. I know everybody prefaces with "this may be known," but that's not an excuse for not doing your homework.

It's all fair and well to post things even if you don't know if they're known, but when it comes to things that are really just nothing bug common sense like "the spring stays on the ground," it's probably just as well left unsaid. Sure, people make mistakes and nobody can know exactly what the community knows and doesn't, but this was once a promising thread that's now just degenerated into lots of way-too-obvious advice.

Again, sorry if that came off as rude, but it kinda had to be said.

Johnnyboy

Smash Journeyman
Rotterdam, the Netherlands, Europe, Earth
Side-b slope cancel**:
While on a steep slope, a side-b that is jump canceled while charging or after release can be lead immediately into a smash or tilt attack. [Credited to InterimOfZeal]
Wow, when I posted about this a few weeks ago the only reply's I got where, "useless", "stupid", " STFU" and " GFTO".
But when a known smashers posts it, it's suddenly interesting?
*sigh* gotta love the internet.:laugh:

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Edit: To try to explain what Catfish_Mike was saying earlier, if you do the foxtrot and get the inital dash stopping animation, then barely hold forward as it starts, you slide pretty far until the end of it. The initial dash without holding forward covers about 1/4 of FD, with holding forward you slide to the halfway point. Looks pretty weird, but I haven't found much use for it, but since it's basically a slide at running speed that you can cancel into a few attacks, someone better than me should be able to find an exploit.
Yea, this. Don't know why I couldn't explain it better.

I'm trying to do the stutter step F-smash out of it, but either my timing is off or it isn't possible. I'll keep messing with it until I make it useful.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Johnny, blame the people that told you that. I wasn't even around when you first made that discovery so...

Lyon, I still think this thread is useful, just not as an information gathering device. It's still the most update online source of Sonic techs and glitches so don't quit stopping by :O

Also, I'm getting access to my Wii again on Sunday night so I'll probably be doing a slew of updates after that as I test stuff out.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
<-- Aftermath

Yea, this. Don't know why I couldn't explain it better.

I'm trying to do the stutter step F-smash out of it, but either my timing is off or it isn't possible. I'll keep messing with it until I make it useful.
You can stutter step out of it, the way I do it is just to quickly let the control stick go back to neutral then stutter step. I've been using it a bit, but it seems that a double fox trot is much easier and accomplishes the same thing for the most part, since it's hard to tell what exactly sonic is doing mnost of the time. The one use I have found is when I think I can get the spacing right (by adjusting how far I slide) to do it into a dsmash or something, so it's a long, situational way to start a laggy move with no range.

I'll make a tech demo that just demonstrates the dash basics and how to do them, with like slo-mo and whatnot, so that you can see the timings of things and how far it slides.

So far, the fundamentals I want to cover are stutter stepping, fox trot to fsmash, the fox trot slide, how to chain fox trots into stutter steps, and how to do the "screech" cancel stuff, which is basically just timing more than anything, but would be good to show in slo-mo and how to get the screech early in your dash.

More or less though, the fox trot into stutter step and stutter step are the only moves that should see much use, as something like the screech cancel into a move has too much lag to really punish anything, and you'll just get shield grabbed.

Anything else I should add to explain? I don't want to try and repeat Lucky's video, just show in-depth stuff on the dash basics, so let me know if there's something I'm forgetting.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
If you're too close to your opponent, you can screech stop behind them into an Fsmash or stutter step.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but you can pivot your stutter step to go in the other direction. It looks the same as a pivoted attack with a bit more range.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
umm idk if this is helpful but you could continue to slide pretty fast with sonic by smashing the joy stick forward and backwards (as if to change from tumbling in the air to standing up animation). h e slides pretty quickly but idk if there's much use for it.

Zourath

Smash Rookie
If you side B off the edge of a steep slope like this: _/__ (tested on a map editor, I haven't tested it on other stages, and you must start close to the edge) then your side B will be unaffected by gravity. If this has been discovered and posted then oh well, but if I did discover it then I don't mind if someone else names it (although I recommend naming it something like Edge Spin). Either way, it wasn't mentioned in this thread, and could potentially be useful.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Umm, dont know if this should be here but here it is anyways:

A simple yet good combo.

Grab - U-throw - Up-b (spring) - D-air

Can sometimes even get a kill from the top.

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
A small bit of information about the homing stall.

On Smashville, I got knocked out of my homing stall while playing online. Snake can stop Sonic from stalling with C4 since the explosion from the top side of the stage is large enough to hit a Sonic travelling under the stage. This probably works on SkyWorld as well, but I don't think any other stages are thin enough for it to work though.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Unless they decide to mid-air dodge. Uthrow > Uair isn't a real combo, sadly. D:

SonicTHP, thanks. The smashville info is useful. Skyworld... notsomuch.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
*scratches head*............. what?
Lol.....In your profile options, you can now choose your main. Whoever you choose will show up under your post count.

Someone doesn't look at announcements. JK no one ever looks at them.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
you must have hit the ground, or been attacked. right?

u know somthign i have been wondering...

if you get attacked while under SA frames (so u dont go anywhere, but still take damage)

does that renew your Up B?

Top Bottom