• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sticky Business

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Antonblast

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Valley Peaks

• Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Helder Pinto

• TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

• Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Don't post here often but.

I'm legitimately stunned right now. Toriyama felt like one of those guys that would just always be around. Dude legit created one of the most iconic franchises ever, he was still pretty involved with it, and now he's just... gone.

It truly doesn't even feel real. RIP to one of the greatest to ever do it. Daima is going to hit a little harder after this...

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
This ****ing blows, dudes. I know we all pass at some point but 68 is still way too young to go for such a brilliant mind. **** still doesn't seem real.

I guess now I finally have an excuse to go through the manga again but this sure wasn't how I wanted it to happen. May he rest in peace, and I cannot thank him enough for all the joy he's brought me with his work.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I was never much into Dragon Ball until over ten years ago when I watched Dragon Ball Z on Youtube. It was a great series. I watched Dragon Ball Super as well, and liked a lot of it. That is a reason why Akira's death is shocking to hear.

I am surely going to miss him.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

This changed me my senior year of high school. I know everyone knew my "I'm not a weeb schtick" but truth be told, this show changed the person I am. Yeah I dabbled with MHA, but I was never investedthe wah I was with the adventures of kid Goku. This show is what made me the anime nerd that I am, it's what got me to embrace my nerdiness instead of shying away from it, and accept that it's ok. It got me to pick up the pen, which while I'm not gonna pretend that I'm all that, I still do enjoy drawing sprites for games. I met many friends over letting go of my uptightness, and Dragon Ball was often the talking point to do so. I strive to be as creative as Akira Toriyama to this day, and I know that's an impossible task but I don't really care. So him gone so suddenly was such a sudden shock and it hurts. So I guess what I want to say is may he rest in peace, and thanks for inspiring me and countless others.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I ****in love Dragon Ball, dude. I haven’t read every single chapter or watched every single episode but I really do love the franchise. Also, the man’s art has been a big inspiration to me.

I mean, look at this ****.

IMG_8394.jpeg

IMG_8395.jpeg

This stuff is awesome!

Also also, I’ll always love that story where he came back to Dragonball because that live action movie sucked ****, and he refused to let that be the legacy of his franchise.

Man, I’m gonna miss him.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This was terrible news to come home to. Toriyama's work has been a major part of my life for years with Dragon Ball being one of my favorite shows growing up as a kid, along with his work in games like Blue Dragon, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that he's passed away, it almost feels unreal.

I'm going to miss him, and I'm always going to value the work he's done and how it's affected my life.

StormC

Smash Hero
Absolutely gutted at this news. I cannot put into words the impact Dragon Ball has had on me. I mean, look at my avatar…

The king of manga. RIP

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I haven’t kept up with the Dragon Ball series in a long time, but I remember really liking Dragon Ball Z Kai and GT back when they aired on Nicktoons Network while I was in middleschool. I’d stop playing games or whatever and turn the TV on just to watch it when it was time for it to air, just like I did for other shows I loved like Pokémon. I feel like I may have seen at least one or two other Dragon Ball things before then, too, but my memory is really fuzzy.

It sucks to read Akira Toriyama died, may he rest in peace.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
This is one of the most shocking news I've ever received.

I'm not a big Dragon Ball fan. I watched the original series and the abridged version of Z, but never the original Z series. With that said, I would be remiss to deny the impact that Akira Toriyama's work had on this world.

I'm sure you guys know by now how much I love One Piece, and the truth is, One Piece would never have existed if not for Dragon Ball. Oda has cited Dragon Ball as one of his main influences, and that's very much apparent from reading both of them. And if you're a fan of Naruto, Bleach, and heck, almost every modern day shonen thing by extension, you have Toriyama to thank for influencing those artists.

We truly lost a legend on this day. It's impossible to overstate how much of an impact Toriyama had on our modern cultural landscape, and I hope he rests in peace.

I think I'm gonna finally check out the Dragon Ball manga soon. Been wanting to read it for a while and it sucks that I couldn't do it while the creator was alive, but our art outlasts us - that's just kind of how it works. I hope Toriyama knew how much of an impact his work had on this world and its people.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Fortnite Battle Pass alert:

Peter and Snake are out.

Korra is the new Battle Pass character

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm very sad to hear about the news to Akira Toriyama's passing.

Will say that I always do appreciate every form of unique artwork he created whether this is from the iconic Dragon Ball, Chrono Trigger to Dragon Quest.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Several creators also put out statements on Toriyama's passing - the ones by Eiichiro Oda (author of One Piece) and Masashi Kishimoto (the author of Naruto) hit me particularly hard.

I find it tough to put my thoughts into words; I've been watching Dragon Ball Z since I was about six years old, and it's a show that helped me to make friendships in elementary school when I was generally a quiet kid. Dragon Ball's meant a lot to me over the years, and the same can clearly be said for a lot of people. (I remember going to see the movie Dragon Ball Super: Broly in theaters in Toronto, and the place was packed, with people freaking out over moments like Vegeta turning Super Saiyan God for the first time)

Whether it's through Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Dr. Slump, or the various other projects that he worked on, Toriyama's work made an impact on generations of people, and hopefully he was aware of how much of a difference he made across the world. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
In other news, Korra crashed Fortnite.

People are unable to play for at least 8 more hours (from this post)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man, I'm starting to process how it's impossible to imagine a world without Toriyama's influence, it's everywhere. I wouldn't get in to Dragon Ball until I was like 14, seeing the manga in a local library, but I was a Sonic fan. ****, I still think of this loving tribute to both series regularly

Dukefire

Smash Master
Now hearing that Akira Toriyama has passed away. I feel sad a legend has left the earth. RIP and here is Dragon Quest 11's opening as I feel it fits with his journey now over.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If I knew how to make custom builds in Brawl mods, I'd totally replace PMEX Remix's Giant Jigglypuff with a Scream Tail skin.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Man, I'm starting to process how it's impossible to imagine a world without Toriyama's influence, it's everywhere. I wouldn't get in to Dragon Ball until I was like 14, seeing the manga in a local library, but I was a Sonic fan. ****, I still think of this loving tribute to both series regularly
It still cracks me up looking back at all that hype and speculation about "Nazo" after Sonic X's initial unveiling, only for Iizuka to come out years later and say "actually yeah it's just Super Sonic" lol

Top Bottom