• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So remember Disney Domination?

it might actually be real….?

Disney has finally joined the train.

Now if only Universal can as well. (Back to the Future, DreamWorks Animation, Fast & Furious, Illumination, Jaws, Jurassic Park/Jurassic World, Universal Monsters, Woody Woodpecker, etc.).

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
1 hour for regular Smash voice recordings and 2 for those that also have to record for cutscenes and/or trailers…not bad
Link x Sidon fans when they find out while in the fire temple
"Guess Ill jist die.."
made me die countless times and I keep returning knowing this dark fate

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
this month is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, and the current Amazing Spider-Man comic run continues to be **** as usual

So of course the next issue (that releases on the 31st…the literal end of the month) gets leaked out and what they’re gonna do is…wow…the absurdity and stupidity of it all
you really gonna kill Kamala Khan so abruptly and without purpose like that

cashregister9

Smash Hero
this month is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, and the current Amazing Spider-Man comic run continues to be **** as usual

So of course the next issue (that releases on the 31st…the literal end of the month) gets leaked out and what they’re gonna do is…wow…the absurdity and stupidity of it all
They teased how someone was going to die earlier and everyone was bracing for the death of MJ or Peter which would have been the worst choices

How did they somehow manage to make a way worse choice than those??? Like there is no reason to kill her off in this comic run aside from various forms of bigotry.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
They teased how someone was going to die earlier and everyone was bracing for the death of MJ or Peter which would have been the worst choices

How did they somehow manage to make a way worse choice than those??? Like there is no reason to kill her off in this comic run aside from various forms of bigotry.
There is one good reason - they killed her off so when she comes back to life (likely on November 8th, 2023), she can resemble her MCU counterpart much more. No more stretching, and you better believe she wakes up on Krakoa.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

I'm not super familiar with this character or most of Marvel comics in general (my knowledge is basically limited to the MCU up untill Endgame), but I know she's now in the MCU with different powers than her comics counterpart. I could see the writers reviving her with powers that match the MCU more.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
There is one good reason - they killed her off so when she comes back to life (likely on November 8th, 2023), she can resemble her MCU counterpart much more. No more stretching, and you better believe she wakes up on Krakoa.
I'm not super familiar with this character or Marvel (outside the MCU pre-Endgame), but I know she's in the MCU with different powers. I could see the writers reviving her with powers that match the MCU more.
Ah yes the ol' BRAND SYNERGY maneuver

This is probably true but killing her off, not in her own series, right before her theatrical debut is not good

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Ah yes the ol' BRAND PARITY and integration maneuver

The bane of my existence (sometimes)
I mean, it's probably also a sales tactic considering "The Marvels" movie is being released soon and comic writers are known for baiting fans with controversial plot twists to drive up sales.

It'd actually be like killing two birds with one stone. The writers both create internet buzz and put the public's eye on Ms Marvel by killing her off controversially, then they can revive her in a few months to make her more MCU-ish and build hype for the character just in time for her new movie.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Saw Turning Red today in screenwriting class.

Actually enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. I had a couple of chuckles, the characters were endearing, and the core message was handled pretty well. It's not as good as Pixar at their prime (I don't think Pixar can match their prime anymore, though that might be my nostalgia talking) but it also feels very unique for a Pixar film

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I mean, it's probably also a sales tactic considering "The Marvels" movie is being released soon and comic writers are known for baiting fans with controversial plot twists to drive up sales.

It'd actually be like killing two birds with one stone. The writers both create internet buzz and put the public's eye on Ms Marvel by killing her off controversially, then they can revive her in a few months to make her more MCU-ish and build hype for the character just in time for her new MCU movie.
That is almost certainly what they are doing, probably beat for beat. But killing her off, not in her own series, before her big theatrical debut is just a bad look and move. Not to mention AAPI Heritage month.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
so ****ing dumb

All those signs really were pointing at MJ due to of Gwen’s death being 50 years old, but to kill off the person without any real relation to the story when Paul is right there is crazy. Not even a decade as a character and Kamala already gets to enjoy a real death.
it’s crazy how they’re gonna mutantize her to finally end the Inhumans hype they once started. Even weirder since Kamala was meant to be a mutant from the beginning before Marvel stepped in (due to FOX having the X-Men movie rights)
I'm not super familiar with this character or most of Marvel comics in general (my knowledge is basically limited to the MCU up untill Endgame), but I know she's now in the MCU with different powers than her comics counterpart. I could see the writers reviving her with powers that match the MCU more.
From comics Peacemaker becoming John Cena to Kamala dying to likely go full mutant…comics gotta stop constantly relying on the movies despite everything else relying on the comics
Ah yes the ol' BRAND PARITY and integration maneuver

The bane of my existence (sometimes)
feels like it’s meant to be the way of life

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Saw Turning Red today in screenwriting class.

Actually enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. I had a couple of chuckles, the characters were endearing, and the core message was handled pretty well. It's not as good as Pixar at their prime (I don't think Pixar can match their prime anymore, though that might be my nostalgia talking) but it also feels very unique for a Pixar film
AKA Teen Wolf: Female Puberty
so ****ing dumb
Pfffft its comics. No one unless its Uncle Ben stays dead forever. Just give it time, she'll be back as soon as you know it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Tis the week Fast X comes out!

Y'all ready for Dom and the crew to time travel back in time to fight dinosaurs, cavemen, knights, and vikings y'all!?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
They'll try.

It's only a matter of time before we get the Pixar remakes.
Conspiracy theory time: Lightyear was a pilot for reviving older Pixar properties ala Disney "live-action remakes."

If Lightyear succeeded, they'd likely be in talks for a kid-friendly version of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly titled "Woody's Roundup" with the main character looking like this:
FVz-L1mWYAE6O8d.jpg

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"Kamala should be a mutant like she was originally intended to be"

Literally no reason to kill her off for a couple of months to do this, just have someone from Krakoa show up like "hey you're a mutant and not an Inhuman btw" and write some **** around that, have a conflict about her wanting to stay with her family and friends instead of going to Krakoa. Easy as that. But Spider-Man writers gotta **** everything up, why is she even getting killed off for a few months in a Spidey comic anyway? She's been in this for a couple of panels at most.

Congrats on making the oxygen thieving comicsgate incels happy for a bit though. Idiots.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Regarding the Spider-Man spoilers, it feels like it gets even worse.

If they're using this death to retcon her into a mutant for "brand synergy", then I'm concerned that she's going to be shoved into the background of any X-Men-related books rather than being one of two prominent Inhumans (her and Moon Girl). Gwenpool, a character from a world like ours who used fourth wall awareness to her advantage, retconned herself into being a mutant so she wouldn't be forgotten, and since then, she's been limited almost exclusively to background cameos when she previously had multiple runs/series and was part of the West Coast Avengers.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
And just beat Lingering Will.

Admittedly, I cheesed it by Fenrir loops but I didn't feel like grinding to 99. I'll fight him the legit way, I lowkey kinda felt like I was cheating that way

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
not Marvel using the Spider-Man Twitter account to hype up ****
Pfffft its comics. No one unless its Uncle Ben stays dead forever. Just give it time, she'll be back as soon as you know it.
here’s the thing…it’s still stupid. There are countless times where a death isn’t needed regardless of shock, and this one is one of those
"Kamala should be a mutant like she was originally intended to be"

Literally no reason to kill her off for a couple of months to do this, just have someone from Krakoa show up like "hey you're a mutant and not an Inhuman btw" and write some ** around that, have a conflict about her wanting to stay with her family and friends instead of going to Krakoa. Easy as that. But Spider-Man writers gotta ** everything up, why is she even getting killed off for a few months in a Spidey comic anyway? She's been in this for a couple of panels at most.

Congrats on making the oxygen thieving comicsgate incels happy for a bit though. Idiots.
what makes it worse, besides killing off probably the most important Muslim character in comics, is how Kamala is just one of the many females to be downgraded attention wise in the comics. She, alongside Ghost-Spider and Silk, only get a yearly miniseries and have to be lucky to appear anywhere else in the 616. Marvel has oddly been slowly going back to focusing strictly on a very select few characters of minorities and females for their own solo ongoing comic series (those being Miles, T’Challa, Sam, Carol, Moon Knight, Moon Girl (& Devil Dinosaur), and She-Hulk). For a company that wants diversity everywhere in their company, it’s dumb to make the comics be more focused on the Caucasian side of things.
Regarding the Spider-Man spoilers, it feels like it gets even worse.

If they're using this death to retcon her into a mutant for "brand synergy", then I'm concerned that she's going to be shoved into the background of any X-Men-related books rather than being one of two prominent Inhumans (her and Moon Girl). Gwenpool, a character from a world like ours who used fourth wall awareness to her advantage, retconned herself into being a mutant so she wouldn't be forgotten, and since then, she's been limited almost exclusively to background cameos when she previously had multiple runs/series and was part of the West Coast Avengers.
Gwenpool really got screwed big time. They could’ve had her at least be a B list character, or use her to explain who certain characters and storylines are for their YouTube channel. Last time I saw her was at last year’s Hellfire Gala where she just stood there existing while Deadpool acted jealous of Spidey
IMG_8378.jpeg
she just magically disappeared like she was nothing, even after influencing other Gwens to have some pink in their hair

Shroob

Sup?
Really though, what the **** is the point of Overwatch 2 if you scrap the one thing you were touting as the big selling point. You could have done all the character changes and reduced teamsize in Overwatch 1. Overwatch 2 now feels even less necessary of a sequel than it was before.

I could have at least excused it if they kept the PvE mode in, since that was something they hyped the hell out of, but just **** canning it outright is... what the hell? Why does this game exist aside from the obvious answer of money.

Top Bottom