• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also for those who didn’t think Doom was ever considered for these movies, this kinda proves otherwise.

This is the leaked Fortnite season roadmap, which iirc was dated a year before it leaked.

The next season is Doom focused. This would make sense because it would have been pretty close to the original release of the Kang dynasty. Ending right around when promotion would have picked up for the film.

Don’t forget Doctor Doom was also on a previous battle pass. So why make another battle pass with him?

The answer, because it was for promotional purposes and they wanted his new design to be available, but also for him to be available for all those who missed out.

So one way or another Doom was always a lock for these movies. Again though, who knows about RDJ’s casting.

Im going to bet they had him in mind for awhile now after realizing it be pretty sweet if the savior of the universe also became the destroyer of the multiverse. That’s great conflict for the avengers right there.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
When I first heard the RDJ Doom News I thought it was stupid, but after thinking it over... It's still really stupid. Either way you slice it.

If RDJ is playing an evil Tony Stark, that's a massive waste of Doctor Doom. We already have people complaining about all of Spider-Man's villains having a connection to Iron Man, taking one of Marvel's biggest villains and turning him into Literally Iron Man is a massive disappointment. Especially because we haven't really gotten a great Doom on screen. I'd be willing to have a somewhat unusual Magneto, for example, because we already have two great and fairly accurate versions of him. But neither of the Dooms have been well received, I think he needs a no-frills adaptation.

But if RDJ is literally just playing Victor Von Doom... That's also kinda stupid. It would be weird to bring back an extremely expensive actor who has played an extremely popular MCU character and have them play a completely unrelated role. Even if Robert gives an excellent performance, which I totally believe he could do, it would be almost impossible to not think of Iron Man. If we have to have RDJ as the main villain of an Avengers Movie... Just do Evil Iron Man or something. That's already interesting enough in my opinion.

I have an idea for how to do this in a way that works, but it reeks of "I've been told we need to have RDJ as Doom and I'm working backwards from there" and I doubt they'd go for it. I'm not entirely writing it off... but man I'm not optimistic.
Y'know I may be a big "MCU bad" guy nowadays but I honestly think I would be genuinely excited if they announced that Doom is coming to the MCU as a major villain if it wasn't for the casting. Instead it has the opposite affect and feels like they're just dangling keys in front of people's faces out of desperation which is how most MCU cameos feel to post NWH

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m pretty cynical on the modern MCU but Deadpool 3 was a lot of fun. The crossover stuff didn’t all land for me but Wade and Logan’s relationship absolutely worked as the core of the movie and I laughed quite a bit. Seeing Jackman in the classic Wolverine outfit got me more emotional than I expected. Pretty solid B+ outing which is better than I expected when this was first announced.

Can’t say I’m enthused about this RDJ stunt casting though.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So uhh, about Pikmin 4.

They actually brought this ******* back, the absolute madmen.

Even with Oatchi, I think the only reason I didn't lose more than about 8 Pikmin to the Waterwraith on my first run of Engulfed Castle was because I rushed through every level as fast as I possibly could to minimize the amount of time I'd have to spend getting treasures back while it was active. My haste ended up causing me to be somewhat reckleess and lose several Pikmin to other enemies and hazards anyway.

Also, Volatile Dweevils have a spiritual successor in the form of random Dweevil species that just happen to be carrying Bomb Rocks, now. That's fine. This is perfectly fine.

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
When I first heard the RDJ Doom News I thought it was stupid, but after thinking it over... It's still really stupid. Either way you slice it.

If RDJ is playing an evil Tony Stark, that's a massive waste of Doctor Doom. We already have people complaining about all of Spider-Man's villains having a connection to Iron Man, taking one of Marvel's biggest villains and turning him into Literally Iron Man is a massive disappointment. Especially because we haven't really gotten a great Doom on screen. I'd be willing to have a somewhat unusual Magneto, for example, because we already have two great and fairly accurate versions of him. But neither of the Dooms have been well received, I think he needs a no-frills adaptation.

But if RDJ is literally just playing Victor Von Doom... That's also kinda stupid. It would be weird to bring back an extremely expensive actor who has played an extremely popular MCU character and have them play a completely unrelated role. Even if Robert gives an excellent performance, which I totally believe he could do, it would be almost impossible to not think of Iron Man. If we have to have RDJ as the main villain of an Avengers Movie... Just do Evil Iron Man or something. That's already interesting enough in my opinion.

I have an idea for how to do this in a way that works, but it reeks of "I've been told we need to have RDJ as Doom and I'm working backwards from there" and I doubt they'd go for it. I'm not entirely writing it off... but man I'm not optimistic.
I was hoping someone would ask "Peridot, what's your lovely idea?". Alas...

Anyways, my pitch is that we have a very comic-accurate Doctor Doom in the Fantastic Four movie, played by someone who is not Robert Downey Junior. I don't really care who, they just need to be around Pascal's age. It's pretty well accepted that this movie takes place in the 60's, in an alternate universe, and I'm rolling with that. Towards the end of the movie, the Fantastic 4 get teleported to the main universe in the present day or something, but Doom... Doom stays.

Cut to like 2010. Doom is still alive, and still the ruler of Latveria, but very old (probably in his 90's). The other Marvel heroes have started appearing at this point, more or less following the same timeline as the main universe. At some point between Civil War and Infinity War, Tony Stark visits the elderly Doom (either because of his former villainy or because he's still head of state). Doom takes advantage of the situation, and either via magic or technology, swaps bodies with Iron Man - similar to Superior Spider-Man

Doom, now in the body of Tony Stark, eventually finds out how to travel the Multiverse and that the Fantastic Four are still out there. He goes to the main timeline and starts manipulating things, similar to the lead up to 2015 Secret Wars, with the advantage of the heroes trusting him - it's Iron Man from another universe! Surely we can trust Iron Man!

Is it contrived? Absolutely, but it's the best I got. It explains why RDJ is in the role without demeaning the character of Doctor Doom.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Anyways, my pitch is that we have a very comic-accurate Doctor Doom in the Fantastic Four movie, played by someone who is not Robert Downey Junior. I don't really care who, they just need to be around Pascal's age. It's pretty well accepted that this movie takes place in the 60's, in an alternate universe, and I'm rolling with that. Towards the end of the movie, the Fantastic 4 get teleported to the main universe in the present day or something, but Doom... Doom stays.

Cut to like 2010. Doom is still alive, and still the ruler of Latveria, but very old (probably in his 90's). The other Marvel heroes have started appearing at this point, more or less following the same timeline as the main universe. At some point between Civil War and Infinity War, Tony Stark visits the elderly Doom (either because of his former villainy or because he's still head of state). Doom takes advantage of the situation, and either via magic or technology, swaps bodies with Iron Man - similar to Superior Spider-Man

Doom, now in the body of Tony Stark, eventually finds out how to travel the Multiverse and that the Fantastic Four are still out there. He goes to the main timeline and starts manipulating things, similar to the lead up to 2015 Secret Wars, with the advantage of the heroes trusting him - it's Iron Man from another universe! Surely we can trust Iron Man!

Is it contrived? Absolutely, but it's the best I got. It explains why RDJ is in the role without demeaning the character of Doctor Doom.
There was a story called Infamous Iron Man

It is a story where Victor becomes Iron Man

Definitely not what you described, it's not a Superior Spider-man story, but I do think Marvel may be trying to do this story. It is also the only justification I can see for why they are trying to do RDJ as Doom.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

This isn’t a bad idea. Could actually be a lot of fun. I’ve been sitting on a similar idea but this was originally more so how to bring superior iron man in as the villain to replace Kang. Since it would perfectly parallel the infinity saga.

After the news I had a different idea though. One that could go two different ways.

The doom in Fantastic four is just RDJ. He’s still a doom varient though since this isn’t the main timeline. The idea being the death of his mother instead of his father has put him onto those same ideals of control and protect. So he tries the Ultron protocol, it doesn’t quite work. But he stumbles upon the multiverse, and realizes he needs to expand his knowledge to save it. He starts delving more into mystic arts and technology, perfecting combining the two, making him a huge threat and finally able to achieve his goals. He takes out the council of kangs and steals their technology to become god emperor doom.

The second concept is similar but instead of RDJ, there’s a different actor in the Fantastic Four. The young avengers also teach us there’s another doom in the main MCU and then lastly, we have RDJ from a separate reality (Illuminati universe? Or wherever Monica went). Or if you want to get crazier make the MCU doom RDJ and he took over for our Doom from another reality. Avoiding the TVA with his smarts.

Regardless instead of a council of kangs, we get a warring faction of dooms who pose different threats to the multiverse. Bringing all these worlds together to stop the impending incursions.

Basically my idea was that since they couldn’t get Tom cruise for multiverse of madness, they dropped superior Ironman and focused more of the doom story they were already writing due to the fact he’s too integral to both secret wars events. I do think the rumors that the Illuminati universe will return as antagonists will happen as it makes perfect sense. So taking a doom from their universe and taking one from the fantastic 4 movie could make for a really interesting story choice.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Part of me's glad I wasn't actively following the MCU with all the weird or outright bad decisions they're making as well as the discourse over whether or not any of their recent movies are even good or not.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh RDJ Doom makes it seem like Disney and the Marvel execs caved into the chud redditors demands to stop making the "MSheU" and make real movies. Absolute desperation.

I want to see how they'll pull it off without it being too distracting, because they can't just pretend that it isn't Tony Stark. And I do like Dr. Doom and RDJ's work in the MCU so they better not screw it up.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Tbh RDJ Doom makes it seem like Disney and the Marvel execs caved into the chud redditors demands to stop making the "MSheU" and make real movies. Absolute desperation.

I want to see how they'll pull it off without it being too distracting, because they can't just pretend that it isn't Tony Stark. And I do like Dr. Doom and RDJ's work in the MCU so they better not screw it up.
To me it seems more like they realized people aren't interested in their movies anymore and needed something, so they brought back their biggest retired star to play a fan favorite. So in other words they're dangling keys in front of our faces, this is just glup ****to Marvel edition

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
To me it seems more like they realized people aren't interested in their movies anymore and needed something, so they brought back their biggest retired star to play a fan favorite. So in other words they're dangling keys in front of our faces, this is just glup ****to Marvel edition
Yeah.

But again, I like RDJ and Dr. Doom so they kinda reeled me in a bit.

But if RDJ Doom sucks then yeah I'm 100% done.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Honestly I think marvel is just scared of the name Victor Von Doom. They were gonna change it in Fan4stic before there was the backlash. And I can see why. It is, imo, a little too silly.

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
The more I think about RDJ Doom, the less I like it

Just a reminder, I didn't like it to begin with and it sounds worse the more thought I put into it
I don't trust anyone who saw the idea and instantly thought "yeah, this is good". I had to write a fanfiction to not Entirely Loathe it.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There was a story called Infamous Iron Man

It is a story where Victor becomes Iron Man

Definitely not what you described, it's not a Superior Spider-man story, but I do think Marvel may be trying to do this story. It is also the only justification I can see for why they are trying to do RDJ as Doom.
and he was better at being an Iron Man themed hero than Riri Williams has ever been

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If they had to cast an actor already affiliated with the MCU to do Dr. Doom, Pedro Pascal would have been a much better choice, it would not only fill a similar role as RDJ and would keep the Multiverse stuff in tact, but also it would be a direct reference to the new Ultimate Comics where Reed Richards is Dr. Doom.

But again, Doom should not be this hard or complicated to do.

This is literally all you need for Dr. Doom:
-Romani
-God Complex
-Ruler of Latveria
-Wizard
-Scientist
-Unbelievable hatred of Reed Richards

and we haven't ever really gotten any combination of those, the closest we have gotten was the damn Unreleased Roger Corman Fantastic Four.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
IMG_3892.jpeg

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Who would you play as? Anthony?
I got this exact response when I suggested Dread have a co-op mode. I’m just paying it forward.
Previous Prime games had multiplayer modes. Characters ranged from Samus recolors (Prime 2), other bounty hunters (Prime Hunters) and Galactic Federation soldiers (Prime: Federation Force).

But I'm thinking any kind of mode like co-op campaign, vs battle, and such.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's a Retro Studios game so it'll be Donkey Kong in multiplayer mode.

This is canon to Metroid and DK
All the Chozo/Metroid DNA in Samus pushes out her human DNA, leaving the only primate DNA in her the kind that makes you return to monke.

Hamster Samus is the next step after this, since primates evolved from rodents.

Top Bottom