• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Oh god they're bringing back the screenwriters from Infinity War and Endgame, god help us all

I will not be seated

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly if the MCU absolutely needed a white guy to play Doom they should have went with Karl Urban instead, superhero fans would get real happy cause of his work in The Boys and his work in Dredd shows he has the energy needed for Doom but nah we're getring this instead
MCU's commitment to whitewashing every single Romani Marvel character might be their most consistent casting choice.

It's about devotion.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
RDJ was already a 100 percent locked in for secret wars. Doom probably was too as he was in initial reports years ago alongside Kang.

as for casting for Doom, who knows, but everything else was locked in for sure.

Also bro forgot about Loki, black panther 2, and Guardians 3
I will say that I am very surprised that RDJ made a return to the MCU not as Tony Stark/Iron Man but as Victor von Doom aka Dr. Doom.

Do I think RDJ will nail the role as Doom? I think he will considering that he already played a villainous role in Oppenheimer.

Reactions: Z25
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still not too keen on a Shrek 5. Ended decent with 4. Especially with DreamWorks track record recently. The only good films they've done were **** in Boots 2 and The Bad Guys, and IMO despite people calling it mid Ruby Gillman.

And Toy Story 5 was not needed.

That said, out of all those. I'm most excited for The Batman 2.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Oh god they're bringing back the screenwriters from Infinity War and Endgame, god help us all

I will not be seated
Endgame and Infinity War were good movies??? It was only after those two released that the MCU lowered in quality.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We are living in the age of regurgitation

Also ew TWO Star Wars movies in one year? Did they learn nothing?
Hollywood is mostly just sequels, remakes and reboots at this point.

Which is why if you want more originally nowadays, gotta look at Indie films.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The copius amounts of sequels are annoying but original ips don't longer sell as well (or sometimes not at all). Chase the money money money...

Also once again if you want to stop the Toy Story sequels you have to exterminate all Millenials

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still waiting on the inevitable Speed 3. Using video game-esque CGI rather than actual stunts and real vehicles.

Keep mining that nostalgia! Hollywood is too afraid to do more originality.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The copius amounts of sequels are annoying but original ips don't longer sell as well (or sometimes not at all). Chase the money money money...

Also once again if you want to stop the Toy Story sequels you have to exterminate all Millenials
It's not that they don't sell as well, it's that big corpos don't make as much of an effort to market them because making the 70th Marvel movie is a safer bet commercially

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Endgame is not well written at all. I like the movie and think it's a great spectacle but aside from Iron Man the character stuff sucked ass
That probably was the point, Endgame was a spectacle because it was hyped up to be the grand finale so they're gonna pull all the stops to wow the audience first and foremost. Even if it came at a cost of pacing issues and some characters got a bit shafted.

Imo, it did succeed at that as well as being a solid conclusion to the Thanos era. It really should have been the grand finale with everything else being an epilouge or standalone stories instead of trying to hype up a new big bad. Thanos had 10 years of anticipation, Dr. Doom is getting two years at most.

Infinity War is the better movie.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
2024 is truly the Year of Sequels, Remakes & Reboots and every year is probably gonna be following because for Hollywood its the safer bet rather than taking the risk.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That said though, this is why nowadays when it comes to originally. I tend to look more at Indie films especially in terms of creature flicks.

The Age of Originality for Hollywood is over (With an exceptional few like The Beekeeper and Longlegs this year).

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Tbh I've kinda given up on movies as a whole, I usually don't really go out of my way to watch something even if I do find it intriguing. I'll watch something occasionally but so far this year I've only seen two movies in theater and one of them is from last year.

Generally I lack the attention span to sit through 120 minutes of a movie while focusing solely on it

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Everyone's talking about whether or not Toy Story 5 was needed

I just want the toys-to-life genre to be referenced in it

Seriously the opportunity is right there, make some copyright-friendly Skylanders wannabes and put them in as side characters and you've won a little of my respect (not all of it, but a little)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Everyone's talking about whether or not Toy Story 5 was needed

I just want the toys-to-life genre to be referenced in it

Seriously the opportunity is right there, make some copyright-friendly Skylanders wannabes and put them in as side characters and you've won a little of my respect (not all of it, but a little)
I feel like they're about a decade late for that reference to work.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The never-ending passage of time hasn't stopped Toy Story before. As a whole Toy Story is connected with childhood memories, and Skylanders definitely lands in that category for several people.
Yeah, I can see that - though I wonder if anyone is still holding onto those stuff as toys.

I still keep some of my childhood toys around but I can't really see myself having a similar kind of attachment to say, amiibos. Those feel more like collection figures to me... or maybe I'm just being pedantic.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Generally I lack the attention span to sit through 120 minutes of a movie while focusing solely on it
Tiktok brainrot is real.

At least you admitted it though, as long as you're not one of those people who want to watch a movie, then sit on their phone and ask what happened every 5 minutes

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Tiktok brainrot is real.

At least you admitted it though, as long as you're not one of those people who want to watch a movie, then sit on their phone and ask what happened every 5 minutes
My sister binges so many shows while on her phone, it's crazy to me that she can enjoy any of them.

This is why I rarely watch things nowadays and mostly play games or read on occasions

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I can stay invested in a show for a while, but I can never do it on my phone. It has to be on a laptop screen or larger.
No what I mean is she watches shows while doing stuff on her phone.

I can't watch on anything smaller than a desktop monitor myself

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
When I first heard the RDJ Doom News I thought it was stupid, but after thinking it over... It's still really stupid. Either way you slice it.

If RDJ is playing an evil Tony Stark, that's a massive waste of Doctor Doom. We already have people complaining about all of Spider-Man's villains having a connection to Iron Man, taking one of Marvel's biggest villains and turning him into Literally Iron Man is a massive disappointment. Especially because we haven't really gotten a great Doom on screen. I'd be willing to have a somewhat unusual Magneto, for example, because we already have two great and fairly accurate versions of him. But neither of the Dooms have been well received, I think he needs a no-frills adaptation.

But if RDJ is literally just playing Victor Von Doom... That's also kinda stupid. It would be weird to bring back an extremely expensive actor who has played an extremely popular MCU character and have them play a completely unrelated role. Even if Robert gives an excellent performance, which I totally believe he could do, it would be almost impossible to not think of Iron Man. If we have to have RDJ as the main villain of an Avengers Movie... Just do Evil Iron Man or something. That's already interesting enough in my opinion.

I have an idea for how to do this in a way that works, but it reeks of "I've been told we need to have RDJ as Doom and I'm working backwards from there" and I doubt they'd go for it. I'm not entirely writing it off... but man I'm not optimistic.

Top Bottom