• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly, MVCI is an interesting case study to look at when it comes to fighting games. By all accounts the game was fun, but turns out nobody wants to play a fun fighting game when the entire roster is stripped into genericness

And also the game looked like a hire this man UE4 game but ignore that
Corporate Synergy messed them up. IF they waited like 1 year, they would've been able to use X-Men and Dr.Doom. Cause the next year, MUA3 was able to have everyone and in a cool artstyle too.

Though I don't know if the music and visuals would have had the soul they needed. Mega Man X was pretty fun to use. Though I do feel like they still only dipped their toe into what he could do with his kit. But seeing how many characters got expanded from TvC to MvC3/UMvC3 to MvCI. I think bringing him back and furthering his moveset more would be great.

I've heard every argument about why MvCI sucks and I still disagree with all of them. Sure, maybe like... 5 x-men characters is ok if the roster is big, with more if it gets even bigger. But I care more about it representing ALL of Marvel instead of just mostly representing this one series that was really popular in the 90s. And people will just show me graphics they say are terrible and I just look at them with a blank stare because I just do not see what they're apparently seeing. If anything I think 3 looks bad because of all the thick black lines everywhere obscuring the character models.

Rant all you want. But I think the game looks great and would have had a really great roster if "fans" hadn't boycotted the thing because it didn't have their precious half-assed minority allegories (I really don't like the X-Men and think they're a terrible allegory for minority groups) and they had been allowed to actually do all the DLC and updates they wanted to do like what happened with Street Fighter V. But no. We didn't get that. And now people refuse to even call it the 4th game in the series (like it ****ing is) because they don't like it. So yeah.
X-Men has consistently been Marvel's 2nd biggest series aside from Spider-Man since the mid 70's. It took Ike's intentional sandbagging to try and undo that. But even then, Logan, First Class, Deadpool and Days of Future Past were still big movies, all in all. This also effected the Fantastic Four. Because of that guy's BS, The Fantastic Four's comic actually got cancelled in 2015 or so, despite selling better than characters like Ms. Marvel, because they wanted to push for the MCU instead of letting the sales talk. They aren't nothing characters. And mind you, it's not like people were asking ONLY for X-Men to be in MVC, but they were the start of the VS series and a lot people like their movesets as well. So having a major part of MVC's specific legacy be ignored is the problem. Characters like Wolverine, Storm, Magneto and Cyclops are major faces of Marvel. Really MvC's biggest fumble was the lack of Spider-Man characters aside from Spider-Man himself and Venom. And honestly, while I don't think the mutant allegory is perfect (it's really about being an outsider in general, as it was meant to replicate the success of Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four) I know plenty of people be whether they are Black/Hispanic/LGBT that enjoy those characters because they related to them, just because you don't doesn't mean you have to get pissy about it. I also disagree about the artstyle because I'd rather have a comic book game look like an actual comic book, kind of like Ultimate Spider-Man does.

And while people shorthanded the complaints to the X-Men, another MVC Staple, Dr.Doom was also heavily requested and screwed over for the very same reason.

Hell, MVC3's Capcom roster had to fight Corporate BS just to get Storm and Magneto, their biggest female hero and one of their biggest villains aside from Doom and Venom/Green Goblin. And the roster had a balance of Avengers/X-Men. How you feel about MVC2's roster is how most people feel about MVCI, and the former had at the very least had 5 Avengers in it.

Saying you want "All of Marvel" but wanting to sideline their main team because they come from a TEAM Franchise, is showing your bias. so they couldn't even brink him back. If you can understand WHY Pokemon has a bunch of characters in Smash, you should be able to get that putting in like 6 or so X-Men isn't the end of the world. Both are big series, and both have a LOT of characters in it.

I mean, ****, I'd be happy to have Taskmaster (And War Machine) back, and I think Vision and Wasp could be neat additions. But comic-book Taskmaster wasn't being set up by the MCU at that exact moment in time. I had him on a team with Dr.Doom and Magneto when I played MVC3.

Again, the main thing I think we CAN agree on, is the lack Spider-Man characters IS weird, it'd be like if Mario only had him and Luigi in Smash.

You also mentioned something about "doing the basics before doing weird stuff" Like Blackheart and Shuma weren't in Marvel Superheroes back in the day. You know Moon Knight was in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1? Way before most people knew about him? Is that bad? Or is it now okay because of the retroactive changes of him getting a TV Show? The point of that is it helps people know different characters of that devs want to have fun with a unique choice. I think having MOSTLY iconic characters and like 2 or 3 weirdos is fine.

I didn't want Sentinel in MVC3, but I get WHY they did add it in. And X-23 isn't a nothing character, she had a few major comic series at that point in time. This isn't getting into other characters like Daredevil, Blade or Moon-Knight. All of which could be good choices for MVC.

In general, I feel like you are only looking at it from strictly a numbers perspective.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
And honestly, while I don't think the mutant allegory is perfect (it's really about being an outsider in general, as it was meant to replicate the success of Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four) I know plenty of people be whether they are Black/Hispanic/LGBT that enjoy those characters because they related to them, just because you don't doesn't mean you have to get pissy about it.
On that note... is it really fair to say X-Men are just allegories when they've been historically full of actual minorities in comics?

Agreed that trying to criticize real-world discrimination using mutants can be awkward but on the other hand, you have Storm leading the team as early as 1980 or Northstar being the first openly gay character in Marvel. I think a lot of people can relate to X-Men because there's a good chance you can see someone like yourself in one of its many members, even without getting the cool superpowers involved.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ok. Fine. The game I like is stupy dum dum and we should all worship the ****ing X-Men. Happy?
Not when you act like a 6 year old about it. No one said you HAVE to dislike MVCI. One of the biggest fighting game Youtubers likes MVCI, Yipes seems to like it too. No one thinks you're evil for that. I like some aspects of MVCI as well(MMX, Spider-Man and Ultron are fun, for example). I think the game overall is genuinely fine, but held back by Corpos. Lot's of good stuff is like that.

That's really it. You don't even have to like the X-Men(Though personally, I like them quite a lot, almost as much as Spider-Man himself). But you keep trying to beat around the bush with it, and downplaying their cultural importance.

Its hitting me that I have no idea who the Inhumans are. I only know Black Bolt, Medusa, Lockjaw cause he was in the Ms. Marvel Comics, and Ms. Marvel who shouldn't even be an inhuman in the first place.
They owned slaves called Alpha Primitives. Marry their cousins. And most of them lack Aura. They live on the Moon usually. There's a Fire Guy that looks cool, I think Joe Mad drew him.

Seriously tho, I'd say Black Bolt has a neat gimmick, where even a whisper from him can level a mountain. if you read some Fantastic Four from the Kirby era, you'll get an idea of them. Crystal was also a member of the FF when Sue was pregnant with Franklin She dated Johnny and also Quicksilver at different points in time. She's kind of sorta the Avatar, being able to manipulate Fire, Air, Water and Earth. I think Lightning too.
And I love the iconic character, Maximus the Mad.

What, never heard of him? Fake fan I fear
In MUA 3, he had a DRIPPY AS **** Coat. I have to respect him for that. He also led a Slave revolt. So maybe he's Our Guy TM.
View attachment 391562
DC don’t talk about Nightwing’s/D.ick Grayson’s ass challenge (possibly impossible)
They really saw one fandom joke and ran with it, huh?
No wait I got it backwards, Kamala is an inhuman who shouldn't be a mutant yeah I'm definitely tired lol.

It really was dumb changing it so she could be reborn as a mutant because she's one in the MCU but you know, Marvel Execs be dumb.
I think got the rough list of events. Bear with me.

1. Make new character you want to be "The Peter Parker for X Generation" kind of like Static for Milestone/DC in the 90's.
2. Make her a Mutant, cause the X-Men were basically "What if Spider-Man and the FF were a combined idea?"
3. Company Mandates want to push the Inhumans, so let's make her that instead, no big deal.
4. Inhumans' TV Show flops hard. Uh-Oh....
5. New character is fairly popular, though not lighting comic sales on fire. But enough people know her as an Inhuman.
6. Company Mandates makes Inhuman heroine be a Mutant in the MCU, because Mickey's wallet is bottmonless and bought out Fox.
7. Kill off Inhuman heroine to bring her back like 3 months later, somehow Spider-Man's book has to deal with this mess.
8. Revive her in X-Men comics during their Entho-state era(where they ironically ACT more like the Inhumans typically do)
9. Now she's like 1/2 Mutant 1/2 Inhuman in the comics I think? Somehow Ichigo Kurosaki's Comic book Ethnicity is easier to parse.
10. Her hardcore fans are now worried she'll get mogged by Logan or Ororo or Scott since she's a Mutant and not being surrounded by "C-List Frauds".
11. Market her as the first Muslim X-Men, even though Dust has been around for Decades. Like how they did with Miles being a Non-White Spider-Man, ignoring Miguel, who predated even Ben Reilly.
12. Has her own book anyway, and will probably go solo again if need be, as she's one of the bigger 2010's New Faces.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
On that note... is it really fair to say X-Men are just allegories when they've been historically full of actual minorities in comics?

Agreed that trying to criticize real-world discrimination using mutants can be awkward but on the other hand, you have Storm leading the team as early as 1980 or Northstar being the first openly gay character in Marvel. I think a lot of people can relate to X-Men because there's a good chance you can see someone like yourself in one of its many members, even without getting the cool superpowers involved.
I have friends who are very big X-Men fans. One of them shared a picture of the covers for the Marvel pride event just the other night and pointed out that 80% of the characters there are mutants

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay, NOW I caught up on the thread. Sorry, it's been a few days. So I'm sure some old stuff got brought back, but I wasn't really paying attention to the dates at the moment.

Sorta. The original idea was for them to have the relatable teen problems of early Spider-Man, before he evolved more into the "Everyman Superhero" with the family drama of the FF. Claremont leaned more into how it played into Race, allegorically. Other writers went more into the LGBT angle. And others went back into the Puberty/Teen angle. So to say it's a poor allegory is a bit true, but it's also vague, people just associate with the race one more because by the 70's Claremont made them icons.

I think probably the best time they used the Allegory is when Sunspot, who is Afro-Brazilian, was getting bullied and beaten, for being Black, and thus activates his powers in retaliation. His powered up form makes him LITERALLY black(like how Human Torch turns red). So he becomes more powerful by accepting his Blackness and thus his Mutant status by extensions, that's what Claremont went with anyway. As time went on, they drew him less and less like a Black Man, he lost his afro, and his nose got thinner. Storm also had to deal with regular racism from minor stuff like someone thinking her hair is a weave to people being weird about her features in general.

Also, as a side note, I think it's weird how people downplay Storm, I always saw her as basically Marvel's most iconic female hero. Even if she's mostly known for a team, she's who I think of after Peter and Logan.

I feel like ordering an art commission right now.
Hit me up if you are still interested!
Is there any reason why 90% of people online who talk about the Switch successor use this design?

View attachment 391615
First time I'm seeing this, but I greatly dislike it. It not being even like the OG bothers me for some reason.
Gonna gauge my eyes out after that debate (wont talk about it more incase it could get me banned or whatnot)

Feel free to join me
To quote the Prince of all Saiyans(and the strongest Namekian)

"I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF THE GOVERNMENT! I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF THE GOVERNMENT! 30 ON 30! 30 ON 30!"

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Not me I suck and after being given the suicide hotline and the "You have so much to live for" crap too many times I want to end it all out of spite
No Gwen, I truly mean It when I say that you are actually someone who matters a lot.

You try your best to improve as a person, you help people not looking for something in return but genuiely to see them improve as people, you do your best to protect the enviroment, have empathy for people such as the victims of the Palestina/Israel conflict. You have a heart and are working your way to become an even greater person.

I get you, I also feel like trash some times and believe that I am nothing but a failure for some people... But then I remember all the friends I've made, my little cousins always wanting to meet with me and see all the stuff I have and specially all the people I've been able to help in my life such as that one family at the exit of my local mall who needed help with something and they thanked me deeply for solving the problem.

Basically what I'm trying to say is... You do matter Gwen. I for one would be sad to see you gone because you are someone I genuiely look up to as an example of progress ❤

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ok Idk what happened earlier this week/last night that we got a bit deep and sentimental but despite my youth I'd like to give some words of encouragement.

You know that saying "Be yourself!"
Well, yes, sometimes, we do things we should not have done and we're not proud of. I know I did :(

BUT... we ALL have the free will and the ability to become the best version of yourself you can be.
If you don't think you can do it alone.?

Well it's ok to be afraid of things. NOT to stay afraid.
Being courageous is being afraid but doing it anyway, y'know?

Seek out therapy, loved ones; find people who YOU KNOW will do their best to keep you on the right path.

If you're determined, you'll eventually get it. Just be patient and do your best to stay on track.

Don't end it all; don't give up

And if you feel like you're at the bottom barrel right now and you think you deserve it, just know this
Start creating your happiness
Start anew

And for any fellow Christians here, God hears, just talk to Him

Sorry if I sounded too cliche or anything, just tryna spread some love

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Ok Idk what happened last night that we got very deep and sentimental but despite my youth I'd like to give some words of encouragement.

You know that saying "Be yourself!"
Well, yes, sometimes, we do things we should not have done and we're not proud of. I know I did :(

BUT... we ALL have the free will and the ability to become the best version of yourself you can be.
If you don't think you can do it alone.?

Well it's ok to be afraid of things. NOT to stay afraid.
Being courageous is being afraid but doing it anyway, y'know?

Seek out therapy, loved ones; find people who YOU KNOW will do their best to keep you on the right path.

If you're determined, you'll eventually get it. Just be patient and do your best to stay on track.

Don't end it all; don't give up

And if you feel like you're at the bottom barrel right now and you think you deserve it, just know this
Start creating your happiness
Start anew

And for any fellow Christians here, God hears, just talk to Him

Sorry if I sounded too cliche or anything, just tryna spread some love
Yeah, agreed.

There's this tendency specially on the USA It seems to see therapy as something only for those who are beyond saving... Which is just such bs, ngl.

Therapy can be quite great if you find the proper psychiatrist or psychologist. I personally have two great ones, they basically see the potential in me as a person, they believe I can become even better just by getting myself to try more, they want me to have a solid career and studies and they also defend me when they know I wasn't the one on the wrong.

More people should put in practice the concept of seeing psychologists as an extra hand with our daily problems, fears and such and not a disgrace honestly.

And yeah, while I doubt most will agree here because not everyone has the same family situation, I do personally feel at peace whenever I am with any of my cousins or my uncles. They all care about me, and even want me to meet with their kids and such to share all the media and collectables I have.

Finally, It is true that sometimes you just gotta keep yourself going for the good stuff to happen. I know It really well, as someone who went through two suicidal attempts and almost left this world... Just so right after those genuiely amazing stuff happened to me.

All in all, I feel self love and therapy are really underrated values.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
For Team Fortress 2, it looks like the bots are being cleaned out for now. Valve seems to been cooking the long game for a long while. Even a LMAOBOX staff has been banned by Valve.

Source is from a post on twitter.
View attachment 391628
They heard the bots in TF2 were distributing CP and put an end to that **** immediately because of legal reasons. That's the only reason Valve gave a damn tbh.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Screenshot_2024-06-28-14-01-06-43_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Woke up to the surprise that Grandpa was watching Space Jam without falling asleep.

This is actually fascinating because he HATES movies as a whole due to spending his entire teen years working on a cinema as the one who rolled the camera (you know, those cameras with a thing you had to roll to keep the movie going). He also usually only watches two things: Blue Bloods and Crime In Paradise.

So yeah, happy he seems to be trying to enjoy other stuff.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
They heard the bots in TF2 were distributing CP and put an end to that **** immediately because of legal reasons. That's the only reason Valve gave a damn tbh.
True. They did stick around and find out after doing that for weeks. Though the bots originated a decade ago, so still needs progress.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
It seems to see therapy as something only for those who are beyond saving... Which is just such bs, ngl.
It IS that, but yes it's def more than that

Tho IMO no one's beyond saying, I just think there are those that'd be so difficult to actually save that we kinda just give up on em
I know It really well, as someone who went through two suicidal attempts and almost left this world... Just so right after those genuiely amazing stuff happened to me.
Well ****, sorry about that
Glad you're still with us chief

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
New Pokémon Kanto game with all the later added Kanto Pokémon Evolutions, all the Johto Pokemon and their later added evolutions, the Meltan line, and a bunch of new pokemon to better represent underrepped types, leading to Kanto having a typical modern region Dex. I want this, to happen. Do you?

osby

Smash Obsessed
New Pokémon Kanto game with all the later added Kanto Pokémon Evolutions, all the Johto Pokemon and their later added evolutions, the Meltan line, and a bunch of new pokemon to better represent underrepped types, leading to Kanto having a typical modern region Dex. I want this, to happen. Do you?
Depends on whether there's a new story or if it's yet another remake of the first game.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
No

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why are the Johto mons not in Johto?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Why are the Johto mons not in Johto?
The route 24 Gatekeeper failed to keep them out, because he was blocking kids from exploring that super dangerous mountain. Now all the invasive species have taken over Kanto.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crappy weather today where I am. Attempted to write more of my next chapter to my Courage the Cowardly Dog/Danny Phantom AU crossover but don't have the motivation...-_-

Might go tonight to the show to see A Quiet Place: Day One as a means of getting out of the house. Off work from my job for four weeks since the family has gone off to Japan for vacation.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I see that there had been some Marvel Vs Capcom talk lately. I'm going to give my thoughts of the X-Men's inclusion.

I will say that the X-Men were always integral to the Marvel Vs Capcom franchise since Children of the Atom in which I do understand why fans were not happy about their omissions 9as "functions") within Infinite is puzzling.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Oooooooh! They are releasing the new Ace Attorney Collection physically in Spain!
Would love to try and give It a chance to support the franchise in Spain, but I need to save money for tons of things.

It may not be the spanish localization, but still cool that we are doing progress.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Life is so tiring.
Government sucks
Baby boomers think they know more then you
Old white men and a select few old black men in office think they can control women
Your votes dont matter because no one is.gonna do their job anyway
Jobs say they are hiring but they actually are just lying and they dont pay you enough to live

*****, Im bout ready to log off

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Headcannon: Since they fit the style of cartoon he would have made, Tex Avery was the in universe creator of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot. And their shelving and the vaulting of all their films is what caused him to quit the studio and go over to MGM.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
welp I missed out on the X-Men discussion again so imma just say this (probably again)

1. X-Men better reclaim their 2nd place throne within Marvel
2. Wish Marvel would do better with both Ms. Marvel and Ghost-Spider. Sure Kamala hasn’t been overshadowed as an Inhumutant, but her only having mini series is hella dumb for such a popular character. Also they better not make Iman write another X-Men vs Inhumans storyline cause those ****ers are mostly dead within the comics. As for Gwen…it’s a damn travesty that they’d deport her to 616 without explaining why so far (not only that, but it adds on to the hypocrisy of the Spider-Editorial).
2.5. “There’s too many Spiders in the 616 for us to have Ben as a Spider” my ass. Peter and Miles are understandable, but then there’s Cindy and Jessica with their yearly mini comic runs, Kaine who is teased to make a return this year, Rek-Rap who still exists due to the Paul era, Shift being a really good Miles clone, Miguel who is still Migueling I guess, Spider-Boy cause Slott gonna Slott, and of course Gwen being moved to the 616 instead of staying in the beautiful Earth 65…Marvel yall may as well just let Ben become Scarlet Spider again or something
3. Earth 616 ****ing sucks

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Life is so tiring.
Government sucks
Baby boomers think they know more then you
Old white men and a select few old black men in office think they can control women
Your votes dont matter because no one is.gonna do their job anyway
Jobs say they are hiring but they actually are just lying and they dont pay you enough to live

*****, Im bout ready to log off
Please don't

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Reminder, there is one month left before the Xbox 360 online store shuts down. Some reminders:

1. Anything that can be played on newer consoles may still be available post shutdown. There are exceptions however (for example, if you want to play the DLC for The Maw, you must grab it before July 29).
2. On July 16 there will be a final batch of discounts that will run until the store closes. These publishers put most of their non back comp stuff on sale the last two times so keep an eye out:

Atari
Bethesda
Bigben Interactive
bitComposer Entertainment
Capcom
City Interactive/CI Games
Deep Silver
EA
Focus Home Interactive
Kalypso Media
Kasedo Games
Konami
Square Enix
Team17
THQ Nordic
Ubisoft
Warner Bros.

3. You can redownload your purchases post shutdown. Any backwards compatible games purchased in the modern store will also show up on the 360.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This story is insane:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This story is insane:
That guy just couldn’t accept that he sucked. Talking about blaming others for a lack of skill. This is one big loser for sure! A sore loser!

Top Bottom