• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Do you think people's minds will ever change about AI? Like... it's in all our Sci-Fi. Even the non-dystopian/disaster ones. Like... what else would you call the computer in Star Trek?
The issue with the perception of AI is that nobody actually knows what AI actually is, and companies know that so they just call every single thing AI without getting into specifcs or anything. They're technically not wrong, but there is a lot of different types of AI. However, since it's became a generic buzzword, nobody wants to learn the difference between them so it just carries the negative connotation that all AI is bad and needs to go. In reality, people only have an issue with generative AI (which tbf is the most prevelant and can be a huge issue)

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
In other news Vimms Lair is practically dead, got hit with a crap ton of DMCAs, and not just from Nintendo either. Nintendo, SEGA, the ESA, and Lego all sent DMCAs at the same day so uh, if you want roms looks like you gotta look elsewhere.
Dragonball questionView attachment 390848
Who the **** are these mother****in dogs?
They're from Dragon Ball Super, they were in the Tournament of Power.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm in a bit of a Sonic mood now. Is Superstars worth picking up? I'm a big fan of the series but I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't played that many games

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm in a bit of a Sonic mood now. Is Superstars worth picking up? I'm a big fan of the series but I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't played that many games
It is fine as a game. Problem is, it gets so hardinthe middle to the end, way harder. It might not be worth your time.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
What Sonic games do you have?
I have Mania and Frontiers. I put a lot of hours into Mania but I don't think I completed it

I also played the genesis trilogy, CD, Adventure DX (the apparently ****ty PC port, though it's still a very important game to me), some of Adventure 2, Advance 1, some of Rush, and Generations (that was my first game, I plan on picking up the remaster)

Most of these were on my older steam account that I don't remember the details for, I plan on beating Sonic Rush eventually since I really enjoyed my time with that game

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In other news Vimms Lair is practically dead, got hit with a crap ton of DMCAs, and not just from Nintendo either. Nintendo, SEGA, the ESA, and Lego all sent DMCAs at the same day so uh, if you want roms looks like you gotta look elsewhere.

They're from Dragon Ball Super, they were in the Tournament of Power.
The weirdest part is that they seem to be fake. Why is Shadow's game still up yet a non Sega game with Sonic in the title taken down
Superstars is pretty fun, only genuine mark imo is Trip Mode, need to buy a second copy but I'm buying it for the same system so I never have to fight Fang again. Other than that, it clears Mario Wonder imo

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The weirdest part is that they seem to be fake. Why is Shadow's game still up yet a non Sega game with Sonic in the title taken down
AI DMCA probably. It would be neat if it was fake but the fact this primarily targeted Atlus's library makes me think yeah it's probably real.
I find that hard to believe
You should cause she's wrong and should be stoned for having a defferring opinion than me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I find that hard to believe
I found the Emerald powers more fun to **** around with than the badges which I only ended up using the parachute one for most of the game. Superstars also doesn't have so much yapping in it and I find Sonic's largee focus on unique settings more fun than Mario's general copy and pasted assets to remix them. Plus I only remember like 2 songs from Wonder whereas I love a lot of songs fron Superstars
You should cause she's wrong and should be stoned for having a defferring opinion than me.
Heartwarming! Queer woman stoned to death not because she's a minority but for liking Sonic!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Both Wonder and Superstars were made with the idea of being completely fresh with brand new ideas to inject life into their levels, after a period of staleness. The games are for the fans first and foremost so really it depends if you're a bigger Mario fans vs a bigger Sonic fan.

However Wonder doesn't have Trip's Story, Jun Senuoe on the synth, and also the bosses don't last an hour so it's better.
Heartwarming! Queer woman stoned to death not because she's a minority but for liking Sonic!
Honestly all Sonic fans should be stoned

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
As a fan of both I think Sonic has the edge in terms of characters and aesthetics (most of the time) but Mario games usually have better level designs

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
As a fan of both I think Sonic has the edge in terms of characters and aesthetics (most of the time) but Mario games usually have better level designs
It feels weird comparing the two to me because imo good Sonic games tend to be better than good Mario games, but then great Mario games are better than Sonic's best.

And then Sonic's bad is... you know.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Tbh I think it needs to be studied how Frontiers' DLC with Super Sonic 2 still gets people talking about it and how cool it is a year later. Meanwhile I didn't see anyone talk about Mario turning into a giant Super Saiyan furry after like a month

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Tbh I think it needs to be studied how Frontiers' DLC with Super Sonic 2 still gets people talking about it and how cool it is a year later. Meanwhile I didn't see anyone talk about Mario turning into a giant Super Saiyan furry after like a month
Didn't realize there was a Super Sonic 2, guess that makes sense considering the Super Saiyan influence was pretty obvious as is

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Didn't realize there was a Super Sonic 2, guess that makes sense considering the Super Saiyan influence was pretty obvious as is
Sonic going all in on anime bull**** is what this series needed and how we're getting Sonadow Gens looking like that. No offence but Mario would get a heart attack if it tried being that openly cool

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
No offence but Mario would get a heart attack if it tried being that openly cool
Tbf Mario's whole mantra is being whimsical fun, with it invoking a lot of fairy tale tropes, giving it a more "classic" feel, whereas Sonic is the whole in your face DBZ type stuff.

But screw it this is is now a Mario vs Sonic
debate so you're wrong and incorrect and wrong and Sonic will die if he imagines having a game as good as Galaxy 1. And also you're wrong.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Sonic going all in on anime bull**** is what this series needed and how we're getting Sonadow Gens looking like that. No offence but Mario would get a heart attack if it tried being that openly cool
To be fair I don't think Mario needs it, Mario has always been the friendly cartoony accessible character while Sonic was initially advertised as more of a rebellious teen. I feel like Mario getting zanier in Wonder was what the franchise needed while Sonic getting flashier and more anime esque is what works for Sonic. Both franchises have different tones that work for them and that's okay

I do gravitate more towards Sonic myself however, it's hard for me to invest myself in most Mario characters not named Luigi, Daisy, Wario or Waluigi while Sonic has some of my favorite video game characters out there

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The Mario spinoffs is where it's at if you want a fleshed out Mario world. That's where you see the whole personality and charm really pop out. Or at least, it did, until... stickers...

Oh also there's the 3D Mario games, specifically the mission based collectathon ones. I think those do a much better job fleshing out the Mario universe than the 2D Platformers, and that's always been the case since 64.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Despite my preference for Sonic's more interesting world and characters I'm actually content with Mario being simply the funny wahoo plumber man. The series has plenty of its own charm despite the lack of story elements.

I do want to play the RPGs later down the line though. I played the OG Mario RPG and its take on the setting was my favorite thing about it

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I also prefer Sonic's characters and scenarios, and I think I'd prefer the series over Mario if... you know...
I mostly played the 2D Mario games but I doubt a Mario game will ever top Sonic Generations for me personally. I feel more personally invested in the series overall as well so I like it better despite its flaws

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mostly played the 2D Mario games but I doubt a Mario game will ever top Sonic Generations for me personally. I feel more personally invested in the series overall as well so I like it better despite its flaws
Yeah for me no Sonic game has come close to Galaxy (1 or 2) level, but I still love the series regardless. Like I grew up with Adventure 2, and that sticks with you for life (I found out Adventure 1 is better two years ago tho). This series has seen greatness and can be great, so I hope the next Sonic game is that.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mario and Sonic fans in this thread going at eachother like its the 90s.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I realized I haven''t been doing my usual bingo cards for these game shows

I then realized that oh wait I have no expectations and these shows have been pretty average so far.

Will still do one for Nintendo though.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yes it is. I love the thing and love some of its level themes. I genuinely think it’s beautiful and it plays really well too. I think every Sonic fan should play it. I was so happy for the weeks I was playing for the first time.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The stages are very fun but I sure hope you have a decent amount of patience because the boss battles will definitely test it.

Top Bottom