• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Could see them finally announce it for this year and launch it next yeah.

What exactly are we still waiting for?

TTYD Remake
Peach's game
And Prime 4getaboutit, it's not real
I'm betting Prime 4 actually got pushed back to Switch 2 and that's why they been so hush hush about it. I'd imagine that's the big launch title and a slew of ports.

And then they showcase their regulars, which are 2025 Mario and Zelda, then they announce a new Fire Emblem that comes out a year later. and yeah, back to the regular Nintendo cycle. Smash Ultimate gets an updated version that Smash fans seethe over because Nintendo added the most obvious additions to the game in 2026, Pokemon devs are still in hell, GTA 5 is finally on Nintendo as everyone else gets GTA 6, etc...

Shroob

Sup?
The monkey's paw is gonna happen to another Mario RPG remake, isn't it?

We get TTYD remake

It's the last new 1st party release for the system

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
1. Netflix shows are officially canon to the MCU, with their own place in the timeline and everything
2. Madam Web’s movie costume debut
IMG_1708.jpeg

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The monkey's paw is gonna happen to another Mario RPG remake, isn't it?

We get TTYD remake

It's the last new 1st party release for the system
I mean it is the 20 year anniversary of the Japanese version in July, but they can drag it out because the American 20 year anniversary was in October and the European release was in November

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think It will be called the Switch 2 because I guarantee you they do not want to risk Wii U syndrome and Switch 2 is the easiest name to convey to a general audience that it is a new console

Although Super Switch or Switch Advanced are much better names.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So if this truly the end of the Switch, I tallied up the amount of first party games released on the Switch that are represented in Smash
  • Mario: A Lot
  • DK: 1 (and it's a remaster)
  • Yoshi: 1
  • Zelda: 4 (one remaster, one remake)
  • Kirby: 6 (one remaster)
  • Pokemon: 12 (I'm not counting Home, 3 remakes, 1 remaster)
  • Star Fox: 0
  • Metroid: 1
  • F-Zero: 1 (idk what to consider 99)
  • Earthbound: 0
  • Ice Climber: 0
  • Fire Emblem: 5 (1 remaster)
  • Game and Watch: 0
  • Pikmin: 2 (1 port)
  • ROB: lmao
  • Animal Crossing: 1
  • Wii Fit: Does Ring Fit count?
  • Punch Out: 0
  • Xenoblade: 3 (one remaster)
  • Duck Hunt: 0
  • Splatoon: 2
  • ARMS: 1

Things of note: Mario, Pokemon, and Kirby are all top 3 as usual, but Fire Emblem has more new Switch games than Zelda and ranks 4th. Xenoblade is only 1 behind Zelda, meanwhile DK only got the Tropical Freeze remaster and Star Fox didn't get a single game. Definitely not what we're usually used to.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Toda I just found out SEG-AFTRA ****ing got in bed with an AI company after the strike aginst AI much to MANY VA anger
Seeing damn near every VA go "This was approved? By who? We're supposed to still be in negotiations" has me convinced SAGAFTRA is a failure of a union

Noipoi

Howdy!
So if this truly the end of the Switch, I tallied up the amount of first party games released on the Switch that are represented in Smash
  • Mario: A Lot
  • DK: 1 (and it's a remaster)
  • Yoshi: 1
  • Zelda: 4 (one remaster, one remake)
  • Kirby: 6 (one remaster)
  • Pokemon: 12 (I'm not counting Home, 3 remakes, 1 remaster)
  • Star Fox: 0
  • Metroid: 1
  • F-Zero: 1 (idk what to consider 99)
  • Earthbound: 0
  • Ice Climber: 0
  • Fire Emblem: 5 (1 remaster)
  • Game and Watch: 0
  • Pikmin: 2 (1 port)
  • ROB: lmao
  • Animal Crossing: 1
  • Wii Fit: Does Ring Fit count?
  • Punch Out: 0
  • Xenoblade: 3 (one remaster)
  • Duck Hunt: 0
  • Splatoon: 2
  • ARMS: 1

Things of note: Mario, Pokemon, and Kirby are all top 3 as usual, but Fire Emblem has more new Switch games than Zelda and ranks 4th. Xenoblade is only 1 behind Zelda, meanwhile DK only got the Tropical Freeze remaster and Star Fox didn't get a single game. Definitely not what we're usually used to.
Earthbound didn’t get another game

Preposterous

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Didn’t expect Sakurai’s YouTube channel to end so soon.

I wonder if he’s busy with something
I think one of his recent videos he actually DID say he was still making games. Wonder if he'll got a smaller title than a full Smash game, or even just an update to Ultimate.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
ok Echo I didn’t expect you to play like this

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Nintendo is competing regardless of what they say. They may be the more gimmicky company, but they're still going against Sony and Microsoft in terms of sales the market share, they gotta give a reason to sell us Switches instead of Xboxes and PlayStations. That's where Zelda comes in, that's their premier, cinematic, AAA franchise that can go toe to toe with their premier, cinematic, AAA franchise. And clearly it's effective, both BoTW and ToTK are top 10 in Switch sales.

Also on people getting tired of these games... No? I mean if you have a source on that then share it, but that's not true at all. Just look at the hype of GTA6, those kinds of games are going nowhere.
If anything, the other companies feel like Nintendo isn't competing with them, despite the company selling more consoles and their games doing better, cause even Luigi's Mansion 3, a child-friendly horror game sold like 12 million copies, doing better than ANY Resident Evil on it's own I think.

If there's anything that'll burst, it'll be AAA gaming, as it needs to re-adjust how it handles things, cause while the Spider-Man games DO sell quite well, given the leaks, the budgets for games have ballooned to a redonkulous degree. If they find a way to lower the budget than the sales needed to be in the black will be lower. Again, probably no problem for Spider-Man and God of War, and like MAYBE Mortal Kombat, but there's other western games that no doubt have this problem, cause what the **** is Immortals of Aveum or Gotham Knight supposed to do?

Not that Nintendo has no problems. But I feel like that's mostly with ****tier online. Fixing up the Mario Sports games. And that most Nintendo games lack button mapping. Then there's Pokemon, who's biggest issue is that the main games have to be churned out like CoD, and can't get the polish they need.

I'd also be interested in how Square and Capcom fall into this, but in general, I think most companies need to have A and B tier games to get modest success instead of trying to make everything this OMEGA AAA SUPER GAME.

So when do y'all think we see the Switch 2?

Like it's been rumored for a long time and each year is the year they reveal it but seems like they're all narrowing it down to this year so uh...

2025?
Maybe I am hopeful, but I imagine Holiday this year. Can't imagine too many more major titles unless Prime 2 and Prime 3 gets remastered too. Prime 4 is probably gonna get the Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild treatment.

Is the name Switch 2 confirmed?

God I hope not. Nintendo needs to break this chain of awful sequel console names.
I mean, yeah, but calling it Insert Thing 2 is less convoluted to the general audience than whatever the Wii U is. Or the travesty of X-Box console names have been Post-360.

It's just that the Switch is a weird name to call a system as it is, so adding a two to that sounds funny.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If anything, the other companies feel like Nintendo isn't competing with them, despite the company selling more consoles and their games doing better, cause even Luigi's Mansion 3, a child-friendly horror game sold like 12 million copies, doing better than ANY Resident Evil on it's own I think.

If there's anything that'll burst, it'll be AAA gaming, as it needs to re-adjust how it handles things, cause while the Spider-Man games DO sell quite well, given the leaks, the budgets for games have ballooned to a redonkulous degree. If they find a way to lower the budget than the sales needed to be in the black will be lower. Again, probably no problem for Spider-Man and God of War, and like MAYBE Mortal Kombat, but there's other western games that no doubt have this problem, cause what the **** is Immortals of Aveum or Gotham Knight supposed to do?

Not that Nintendo has no problems. But I feel like that's mostly with ****tier online. Fixing up the Mario Sports games. And that most Nintendo games lack button mapping. Then there's Pokemon, who's biggest issue is that the main games have to be churned out like CoD, and can't get the polish they need.

I'd also be interested in how Square and Capcom fall into this, but in general, I think most companies need to have A and B tier games to get modest success instead of trying to make everything this OMEGA AAA SUPER GAME.
Tbh, I think the AAA bubble will burst, but not because of fatigue like Snake suggested. Rather, it'll burst because of quality issues, kinda like the crash in the 80s. A lot of games being sold for 70-80 bucks do not have the quality to reflect that, and it's gonna catch up when AAA costs are ballooning. Eventually, people are gonna stop buying them because well... the games suck or are heavily unpolished and they are, again, charging 70+ dollars.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Tbh, I think the AAA bubble will burst, but not because of fatigue like Snake suggested. Rather, it'll burst because of quality issues, kinda like the crash in the 80s. A lot of games being sold for 70-80 bucks do not have the quality to reflect that, and it's gonna catch up when AAA costs are ballooning. Eventually, people are gonna stop buying them because well... the games suck or are heavily unpolished and they are, again, charging 70+ dollars.
And then there'll be Nintendo fans who'll buy anything as long as it has funny cereal mascot.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Seeing damn near every VA go "This was approved? By who? We're supposed to still be in negotiations" has me convinced SAGAFTRA is a failure of a union
Its such a ****ing **** situation too. So scummy of them to say "the affected people said it was ok" and said affected people are "its not ok"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And then there'll be Nintendo fans who'll buy anything as long as it has funny cereal mascot.
Tbf Nintendo doesn't seem to be part of this massively ballooning budget problem, it seems to specifically be a western thing about spending millions of dollars on tera****s and megafarts. Which means that like the last video game crash, it will only really affect the American industry
Its such a *ing * situation too. So scummy of them to say "the affected people said it was ok" and said affected people are "its not ok"
It really sucks, they don't respect VAs enough to protect them from something that is already lowering their wages, forcing faster turnovers and stealing jobs. I'm simply going to choose not to spend money on anything with AI stuff, if a company can't be assed to spend money on something, why should I do the same?

Shroob

Sup?
So now the question about the Peach.

Is it a Mystery Gift item, or does the fabled January patch just go live tomorrow and we get an in-game notification telling us to go somewhere and pick it up.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The whole thing with tje ballooning costs is that you have small budget games that can make a quick buck, and that quick buck allows comlanies to make a true AAA game. That's a constant across all forms of media. For Nintendo, games like Kirby is what finance a Breath of the Wild. For Rockstar GTA Online is what financed Read Dead 2 and GTA 6.

For Sony, who seems to be the main offender, that's where the Japan Studio comes in, except they shut it down so now the ballooning costs are being backed up by absolutely nothing

D

Deleted member

Aw geez, why couldn’t Nintendo wait until AFTER FrostyFest to do the new Spirit Board events?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I have no actual favorite corpos, but the way the game industry, and honestly other industries are heading, there's likely to be a crash, something I guess I've felt was gonna happen sooner or later, so maybe I'm still wrong on that, but given that everything has a huge budget, and that they are expecting the same growth rate as 2020, despite the lack of a Global Pandemic to justify such an idea. Chances are, the current gaming audience is gonna be the largest amount of players for at least a few years until some kids get older.

Tbf Nintendo doesn't seem to be part of this massively ballooning budget problem, it seems to specifically be a western thing about spending millions of dollars on tera****s and megafarts. Which means that like the last video game crash, it will only really affect the American industry

It really sucks, they don't respect VAs enough to protect them from something that is already lowering their wages, forcing faster turnovers and stealing jobs. I'm simply going to choose not to spend money on anything with AI stuff, if a company can't be assed to spend money on something, why should I do the same?
It'll also hit EU, if only because Ubisoft. Cause no way they aren't also contributors to the budget problem. And I wouldn't be surprised if CDPR also got this problem, though I doubt as much as the former or EA.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think Hollywood and Western AAA games are going through a similar patch.

Way too high budgets and taking too long to make things while along the way crunching and laying off the people who actually make the products. And replacing them with a way to churn out content endlessly.

I do not think a crash will happen as both mediums are just too big at this point but I do feel a massive shake up on the horizon. Whether that comes from audiences changing their habits, new blood becoming leaders or something brand new coming along.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I officially level grinded my team from low 40's to level 60 for the Elite 4. Granted that's mostly for Cynthia herself since the 4 themselves are high 50s-low 60's. But that Garchomp is almost at 70 so I want most of my team within shooting range of that. Gonna try and boost up my Rapidash instead, since I only really had 5 team members for real. But he's only level 41. Gonna re-match trainers with the Luck Incense and nab as much cash as possible before I start since I didn't spend a ton of money this run.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So not really related to the AAA convo but my project of trying out each series with a character in Smash Ultimate has given me a newfound appreciation for video games in general. Before I took on the task, my views were kinda limited to the Nintendosphere (and really it was the scrimblo games, with small exceptions here and there) and I didn't really give several franchises a fair shake.

Well now that I took on the task, I found some of my favorite franchises and games, it's truly awesome stuff that I'm glad I got to experience. Y'all should do it too if you got the means to, don't narrow your gaming perspective to Bing Bing Wahoo company, you may really like some of them.

Ironically most favorite of the bunch since taking upon this journey were less popular Nintendo games and non-Nintendo games. Crazy how that works.

Top Bottom