• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It was only just about 2 years ago, but January 2022 feels like such a different time...
It was the start of everyone reeling out of pandemic mode and you could tell the world was just not the same anymore. Like nothing was the same and it felt bizzare.

Like how Pokemon fans felt when GF dropped the best Pokemon games in a very long time after a stinky streak.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I love it when retro gametubers are like "This classic game is much better than its modern sequels, you just have to overlook worse graphics and steep price and lack of accessibility and enigmatic game design and game-breaking bugs and offensive story beats and..."
Reminds me of when people used to **** on Mega Man 7 & 8 for not being 8-Bit. There are certainly classic games that hold up and can be better than modern counterparts, but the reverse is true as well. Game series/genres go through ups and downs just like anything in life (except Sonic, that series is cursed).

Most of the appeal of Retro Gaming to me comes down to discovering hidden gems, playing games that have unique ideas/mechanics, learning the history of a series/genre, and on the collecting side, hunting things down and meeting new people.

Alright, I completed Lyn's story in Fire Emblem Blazing Blade. Eliwood time... in a bit.

I do wanna apologise to Fire Emblem. I thought the series was gonna be boring as all hell cheesy anime trash but nah it got me to actually sit down and THINK. Go out with one strategy, some units died and ruined my entire plan, so I had to reset chapters and devise a better one with careful planning in the prep stage. And then it's so satisfying when a strat works and I win the map, with some extra spoils and level ups.

Like I get it now. I get why people enjoy the series.
I don't think you need to apologize to Fire Emblem. There is a lot of cheesy anime trash in certain entries. 🧀

I definitely recommend trying PoR whenever your get the chance. The mechanics are mostly the same as GBA FE games, but the chapters/levels offer additional objectives and bonus rewards. End-of-Chapter Bonus Experience can be applied to your units in the preparations menu so you can buff your favorites if they're under-leveled, top off units who are close to leveling up, or do a soft-reset until you get the stats you want.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rainbow Road 7 casually being the best Mario Kart track

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright, I completed Lyn's story in Fire Emblem Blazing Blade. Eliwood time... in a bit.

I do wanna apologise to Fire Emblem. I thought the series was gonna be boring as all hell cheesy anime trash but nah it got me to actually sit down and THINK. Go out with one strategy, some units died and ruined my entire plan, so I had to reset chapters and devise a better one with careful planning in the prep stage. And then it's so satisfying when a strat works and I win the map, with some extra spoils and level ups.

Like I get it now. I get why people enjoy the series.
It is beautiful seeing someone enjoy something they assumed they wouldn't for a long time, I can only hope you want to give the other games a shot afterwards as what people don't often realize is that there is genuinely good **** in every game, I tried Awakening on a whim about a decade ago and hear I am, ready to beat FE4's final chapter today while developing certain expectations for that remake.

Sidenote do not play FE4 next, it's genuinely hard to get in to if you don't know all it's quirks

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. Any of y’all have plans?
Well, I already spent time with my little cousins yesterday, that was really awesome.

As for today, I am resting a bit with my grandpa catching up with Season 2 of What If?.
When my family arrives for dinner, I wanna watch that stop motion Mickey Mouse Christmas special, Christmas With The Joker, the GotG Holiday Special and the Bad Guys Christmas special.
Oh, and obviously I will try to enjoy my time here with ya'll too.

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Happy Christmas Eve one and all, may all our most wanted characters get into Smash!
Me who already got every most wanted character in Smash and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, got every game they wanted announced and is currently on their way to enjoy time with everyone they care about:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It is beautiful seeing someone enjoy something they assumed they wouldn't for a long time, I can only hope you want to give the other games a shot afterwards as what people don't often realize is that there is genuinely good **** in every game, I tried Awakening on a whim about a decade ago and hear I am, ready to beat FE4's final chapter today while developing certain expectations for that remake.
It was the representation in Smash that kinda burned me bad. I was tired of it and I also hated weeb trash at the time, so I definitely wasn't interested, Fates being fanservice trash (note: never played it) almost written me off the series as a whole, especially after Corrin got in the game. Byleth was just whatever.

But last year, I made it a goal of mine to play at least one game from every series repped with a character in Smash Bros. That included Fire Emblem, and it being on GBA Online gave me an excuse to go out and play it, turns out I actually like it. Not some world beater but it's fun.

So here's where I'm at
Edit: wait I realized this list doesn't have everything give me a moment

Edit 2:
my-image (3).png

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
It was the representation in Smash that kinda burned me bad. I was tired of it and I also hated weeb trash at the time, so I definitely wasn't interested, Fates being fanservice trash (note: never played it) almost written me off the series as a whole, especially after Corrin got in the game. Byleth was just whatever.

But last year, I made it a goal of mine to play at least one game from every series repped with a character in Smash Bros. That included Fire Emblem, and it being on GBA Online gave me an excuse to go out and play it, turns out I actually like it. Not some world beater but it's fun.

So here's where I'm at
Oh, now I am curious MightyP, what made you interested on Dragon Quest over Fire Emblem back then? Was It the artstyle?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For a Fatal Fury/King of Fighters game, I'd suggest King Of Fighters '98. (it's on the Switch and should be pretty cheap)

I'd highly recommend Bayonetta 1 and 2 - they're up there with Devil May Cry 3 and 5 as being among my favourite action games.

Not sure which consoles you have - pickings for Tekken games are slim on Nintendo consoles, particularly on the Switch, though my introduction to Tekken was through Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the Wii U and I enjoyed it.

Also, play Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. (if/when you have the option; B-K is available on Switch's N64 Online app and both are on any Xbox system aside from the original Xbox)

Metal Gear and Persona are also great - you can't really go wrong with any of the numbered Persona titles on the Switch (Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 Royal), with Persona 4 and 3 being my first and second most-played Switch games this year, respectively. As for Metal Gear, the main games are all excellent, though I'm not sure if MGS2 and 3 on the Switch still have performance issues.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh, now I am curious MightyP, what made you interested on Dragon Quest over Fire Emblem back then? Was It the artstyle?
So actually, it was when Erdrick was datamined to be in Smash. Smash fans were whining and complaining for some reason, so i was like "screw it" and said decided to rally behind him. I was tired of people complaining about a character they know nothing about, abiut a series they knew nothing about, and I wanted to play spoils to that

The ironic part? I didn't know a thing about Dragon Quest, not a single thing. Well Hero got in Smash, and then they announced DQ11S shortly after. There was a rather extensive demo that came out shortly after, I played it, I liked it. Bought the full game in hopes it would be a good time.

It's now a top 3 favorite game of all time for me.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman

So here's where I'm at

Edit 2:
View attachment 382096
For Metal Gear I would reccomend you the Master Collection Vol 1, but idk if you have a PS5 or a PC. Although also keep in mind that It is reccomended to play the Solid games in release order to better understand the games. And don't worry about the first two Metal Gears on computer: MGS1 includes a recap of all the events in those two games.

MGS1 imo is the most solid balance between gameplay and story, with both being equally relevant.
MGS2 is also great, although I'd argue part of the charm was on playing It on the PS2. Still a great game doh.
MGS3 is when the franchise starts going really strong on cutscenes, but the gameplay you get is still quite great as usual. Would reccomend It.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
For Metal Gear I would reccomend you the Master Collection Vol 1, but idk if you have a PS5 or a PC. Although also keep in mind that It is reccomended to play the Solid games in release order to better understand the games. And don't worry about the first two Metal Gears on computer: MGS1 includes a recap of all the events in those two games.

MGS1 imo is the most solid balance between gameplay and story, with both being equally relevant.
MGS2 is also great, although I'd argue part of the charm was on playing It on the PS2. Still a great game doh.
MGS3 is when the franchise starts going really strong on cutscenes, but the gameplay you get is still quite great as usual. Would reccomend It.
For a Fatal Fury/King of Fighters game, I'd suggest King Of Fighters '98. (it's on the Switch and should be pretty cheap)

I'd highly recommend Bayonetta 1 and 2 - they're up there with Devil May Cry 3 and 5 as being among my favourite action games.

Not sure which consoles you have - pickings for Tekken games are slim on Nintendo consoles, particularly on the Switch, though my introduction to Tekken was through Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the Wii U and I enjoyed it.

Also, play Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. (if/when you have the option; B-K is available on Switch's N64 Online app and both are on any Xbox system aside from the original Xbox)

Metal Gear and Persona are also great - you can't really go wrong with any of the numbered Persona titles on the Switch (Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 Royal), with Persona 4 and 3 being my first and second most-played Switch games this year, respectively. As for Metal Gear, the main games are all excellent, though I'm not sure if MGS2 and 3 on the Switch still have performance issues.
So I actually do have Metal Gear on my PS2. I belive Metal Gear 2 and 3.

I'm just too lazy to hook it up. But my PS2 works

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
So actually, it was when Erdrick was datamined to be in Smash. Smash fans were whining and complaining for some reason, so i was like "screw it" and said decided to rally behind him. I was tired of people complaining about a character they know nothing about, abiut a series they knew nothing about, and I wanted to play spoils to that

The ironic part? I didn't know a thing about Dragon Quest, not a single thing. Well Hero got in Smash, and then they announced DQ11S shortly after. There was a rather extensive demo that came out shortly after, I played it, I liked it. Bought the full game in hopes it would be a good time.

It's now a top 3 favorite game of all time for me.
Glad you really liked Dragon Quest XI S! I personally got into the franchise through Dragon Quest 8, It came to my House alongside my first PS2, KH2, Crash Twinsanity and many more games.

Yoooo! That's great.

Well, if you are able to get MGS1 (the PS2 is backwards compatible with the PS1), then you are set to go to get into the franchise! Hopefully you enjoy It as much as I do!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Glad you really liked Dragon Quest XI S! I personally got into the franchise through Dragon Quest 8, It came to my House alongside my first PS2, KH2, Crash Twinsanity and many more games.

Yoooo! That's great.

Well, if you are able to get MGS1 (the PS2 is backwards compatible with the PS1), then you are set to go to get into the franchise! Hopefully you enjoy It as much as I do!
Ironically, I don't own MGS1

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Ironically, I don't own MGS1
Yeah, figured so as you just brought up MGS2 and 3 as the ones you own.

Well, I'm looking at prices online and at least in Spain you can get an original copy for around 30 bucks, which is quite neat ngl. Thought It would be as expensive as SotN.

Alternatively, you can get the Master Collection version of MGS1 on discount at the eshop (without having to pay for the whole bundle). That is a decent alternative too if you don't want to emulate the game.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I should get into more series in Smash

Been wanting to do it for a while but I only recently got back to playing games regularly with the latest Mario and Pokémon stuff and I still need to beat Tears of the Kingdom, so that's gonna have to wait

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
I should get into more series in Smash

Been wanting to do it for a while but I only recently got back to playing games regularly with the latest Mario and Pokémon stuff and I still need to beat Tears of the Kingdom, so that's gonna have to wait
Really looking forward to your thoughts whenever you get to Dragon Quest, KH and Metroid! I'm sure that will be fun :)

As for my situation, I played Persona 5 thanks to osby osby 's passion for those games and while I enjoyed it the length of the game kinda scares me about completing it.

Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen and other users got me into Fire Emblem. I didn't enjoy Three Houses that much gameplay-wise but the writing was quite cool and I really liked the Golden Deers group. The GBA games however I enjoyed to play a lot.

It took some work and effort to overcome some traumas, but with the help of Noipoi Noipoi and a few others I got to play Banjo-Kazooie through NSO and honestly I quite enjoyed the game a lot. Surprisingly competent for a N64 game and fun to explore around.

And finally, Smash Bros Ultimate got me to try XC2 and give XC1 3D another shot and while I suck ass at both games I quite enjoy the writing on the latter and the graphics and gameplay of the former (except on handheld mode, holy **** that looks awful).

So yeah, really glad to have met people who plugged me to try out different games and franchises and who got me to know about new stuff.

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
God, I would love to own this figure so much:
Transformers Animated was the Transformers show I grew up with the most during my later kid days. I loved the characters, the writing and the artstyle (may the creator rest in peace, he also blessed us with Ben 10 Omniverse and Scooby Doo Mystery Inc).

Sadly since I was that young I never got to own a Transformers Animated toy, and also the were really rare over here.

Getting this figure would be like fulfilling something I wanted during my childhood, because Animated Optimus Prime is my favourite version of the character by far besides the one from Prime and the Cybertron games.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Smash always being a perfect way to introduce people into different game franchises
Once they figured that out by Smash 4, now it’s arguably a marketing strategy to get your character in Smash. :nifty:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

If you don't want to buy new games holy **** please do not have MGS2 as your first game, release order is ideal but Snake Eater works as a fine experience for your first Metal Gear but I beat 2 this week and jesus ****ing christ this game is a lot, had to spend hours wondering if I even liked it after beating it and is heavily reliant on understanding at least Solid 1

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Welp people, it finally happened.

Today, my mobile phone which has been so close to me ever since 2020 has officially died. Currently using my computer to talk here.

I was browsing Smashboards on it when suddenly it slipped from my hands and got thrown into the wall by accident. Now the screen won't light up and it is basically unusable.
Honestly: it was a good ass phone: it could run literally everything on the Play Store, it loaded 4K videos on Youtube flawlessly, and until it's last days the screen didn't get scratches at all. It was basically the Nokia meme but as a Samsung.

On one hand, the quest for a worthy replacement will be complex, as from experience there have been very little phones as strong or functional as it was.
On the other hand, I will be able to dedicate the whole day to be near family, and enjoy their presence these holidays. Also everything I had on the phone is on a SD card so thankfully nothing will be lost.

So yeah, farewell to my Samsung Galaxy. You were the GOAT of phones.

Well anyways, gonna play War For Cybertron on my PC

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If you don't want to buy new games holy **** please do not have MGS2 as your first game, release order is ideal but Snake Eater works as a fine experience for your first Metal Gear but I beat 2 this week and jesus ****ing christ this game is a lot, had to spend hours wondering if I even liked it after beating it and is heavily reliant on understanding at least Solid 1
I need scissors! 61!

(Yeah, MGS2 is a LOT - it's a heavily deconstructive look at Metal Gear Solid 1, along with how information is shared and passed on, among many other things)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I need scissors! 61!

(Yeah, MGS2 is a LOT - it's a heavily deconstructive look at Metal Gear Solid 1, along with how information is shared and passed on, among many other things)
There's also other stuff that I found irksome like sniping all those c4, the godawful swimming, Raiden canonically being physically abusive to Rose and more that I just felt off with. Overall I like the overall game but man I don't think I'd be happy if it was the last game as intended

Noipoi

Howdy!
I see some theorizing that the next console will be called the Super Nintendo Switch

I like the callback to the SNES, but I worry that this may have the same problem as the Wii U. People not knowing this is a fully new console instead of just another slight upgrade.

Top Bottom