• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
They already do. Those movies have so much cg in them they’re basically animated already. Just go all the way I say.
And this is where you lose me because that ain't fixing the MCU. In fact, the animation is a huge reason why it's going through significant trouble and you want more of that? May solve the Majors problem but it ain't solving anything else, hell it'd make it even worse cause guess what's gotta be scrapped and redone from scratch every time corporate meddling happens (which according to the article, happened a lot).

The MCU needs to restructure from the top down.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I may have started collecting figurines but if I ever start collecting Pokémon figurines beyond my Jolteon it probably means I've given up on ever having a stable bank account

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’d leave the superhero animated movie department to Spider-Man specifically, DC, and TMNT

Noipoi

Howdy!
I agree with Snake on the whole animation being the superior medium for superhero storytelling thing, but I also don't think switching to animation would solve Marvel's problems here because the problems go far beyond one actor being recast.
Well animation is just the superior medium in general, obviously :4wario2:

But the MCU would've never been as big if it was animated. Animation is often still seen by most as geeky kid stuff, sadly. But the MCU getting as big as it did legitimized nerdy interests to the common people, animation included. And that's something that needed to happen.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean there are benefits and drawbacks to animation, and tbh I don't think an animated MCU is sustainable, especially now that they're churning out MCU content like a factory.
But the MCU getting as big as it did legitimized nerdy interests to the common people, animation included. And that's something that needed to happen.
Definitely a good thing overall, and I made some friends that way.

Online discourse however? Ruined forever.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean DC had a very successful and beloved animated universe, so it can be done, but I agree it's not really sustainable. Even the DCAU chose to end on a high note, JLU had a good ending and wrapped up when the creators realized there wasn't a way to keep it going forever.

Endgame was kind of that, but I think the feeling of "this is the end, but also not really" burned out audiences pretty badly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Y'all read the latest MCU news?
Complete Disaster (Article, language warning)

1. Jonathan Majors's allegations derailed future plans. Rumors have it they're pivoting off Kang for Dr. Doom
  2. The Marvels was in development hell, with multiple reshoots, release dates being swapped multiple times, looks like it's going to flop financially
  3. VFX department is a mess, 17 hours of unpaid overtime and it shows. Ant Man 3 in particular was nowhere near finished.
  4. The TV show format flopped too due to lack of direction, given the lack of a showrunner with multiple parts having to be redone. She Hulk in particular got screwed over the most.
  5. In complete desperation, there were plans on bringing back the original 6 Avengers.
  1. Marvel is considering bringing back the entire original Avengers cast, including Tony and Natasha (via life revival)
  2. Blade is being rewritten with a budget below $100 million, and Mahershala Ali almost walked out of the project due to previous script issues
  3. Loki finale might make it harder for the MCU to pivot away from Kang, since they apparently want to transition to Doom as the main villain of the Multiverse Saga…of course would be due to the Majors allegations and controversy
  4. Vulture still in the SSU and not enough Spider-Man content
****ing hell Marvel, Disney, and the overall public reactions for Phase 4 and 5 got the MCU feeling ****ed up behind the scenes for 3 of those things

LMAO. What a ****show of a trainwreck.

Invincible, Matt Reeve's Batman Trilogy, and the animated Spider-Verse films are where they're at in terms of quality superhero media at this point.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I mean DC had a very successful and beloved animated universe, so it can be done, but I agree it's not really sustainable. Even the DCAU chose to end on a high note, JLU had a good ending and wrapped up when the creators realized there wasn't a way to keep it going forever.

Endgame was kind of that, but I think the feeling of "this is the end, but also not really" burned out audiences pretty badly.
also helped that they only did 6 shows (7 counting Static Shock once season 2 onwards decided to be turned into DCAU content), each having their own time to be worked on while not worrying about continuity getting in the way of one another

LMAO. What a ****show of a trainwreck.
not sure if there’s much room to laugh using a DCEU photo

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
not sure if there’s much room to laugh using a DCEU photo
Oh no, don't get me wrong. DCEU is a trainwreck as is (The Suicide Squad to me will always be a standalone film). This was just the best image I could think that describes my reaction to what's happening to the MCU currently.
The MCU needs to restructure from the top down.
More like retire tbh. There is no hope at this point.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Matt Reeve's Batman Trilogy
I mean, it's entirely possible that the rest of the trilogy (assuming that idea actually takes off) could seriously tank in quality. We'll need to see that first sequel or maybe even a bit of that Penguin series before jumping to conclusions and saying that the whole thing sets a new standard for superhero flicks.

But I personally didn't think the first one was all that so it's going to take a lot of convincing on my part

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The craziest part of the mcu is how Loki still managed to stay pretty good amongst all this.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Disney is buying the full shares of Hulu from Comcast.

Disney has about 66%, Universal has 33%

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Disney is buying the full shares of Hulu from Comcast.

Disney has about 66%, Universal has 33%
got enough money to fully own another streaming service yet doesn’t wanna spend more money for actors, writers (even tho that strike ended), vx, and probably other things as well

dezeray112

Smash Hero

1. Jonathan Majors's allegations derailed future plans. Rumors have it they're pivoting off Kang for Dr. Doom
  2. The Marvels was in development hell, with multiple reshoots, release dates being swapped multiple times, looks like it's going to flop financially
  3. VFX department is a mess, 17 hours of unpaid overtime and it shows. Ant Man 3 in particular was nowhere near finished.
  4. The TV show format flopped too due to lack of direction, given the lack of a showrunner with multiple parts having to be redone. She Hulk in particular got screwed over the most.
  5. In complete desperation, there were plans on bringing back the original 6 Avengers.
1. Jonathan Major's case and trial will be heard later this month and if he is found guilty, then his entire career will be finished.
2. Such a shame for The Marvels and the pre-sales tracking have not been very promising lately. Adding to that, there is also the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike which isn't helping either as this meant that the actors cannot promote their film.
3. The article seemingly pointed the finger to Victoria Alonso (who departed from Marvel Studios) who oversaw the physical production, post production, VFX and animation.
4. It is a good thing that Marvel Studios confirmed that they are changing their direction in terms of their TV show format based upon this recent article by the Hollywood Reporter. Apparently Daredevil: Born Again is going to redo everything again.

Regarding to the current state of the MCU, another point to add is that former CEO Bob Chapek made a huge mess within all divisions amongst the studios especially with Marvel Studios where they were overwhelmed with a load of projects and do not have much creative control. Hence why the quality of some of their projects suffered.

With Chapek gone, Iger had already confirmed that the studios will have the creative control back in hopes that they can regain the quality aspect although that may take a bit of time to show that in which I hope they can deliver within future projects.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Your ideas never cease to fascinate me.

In like, a morbid way.
I mean, you can't do a long running multifilm franchise with live actors who do things like age AND get all hoity toity about never recasting people. People get cancelled. People die. You have to be able to change actors and not change your entire gameplan. At least if it was animated the characters could still look the same.
I agree with Snake on the whole animation being the superior medium for superhero storytelling thing, but I also don't think switching to animation would solve Marvel's problems here because the problems go far beyond one actor being recast.
I'm still saying they need to tear it down and start over from the beginning as far as story and writing goes. I'm just saying switching to animation would fix prevent some of their other problems from happening again.

Like, look at Rick and Morty. They didn't rewrite season 7 to be about an entierly new main character because Justin Roiland got abuse charges. The recast his voice rolls and stuck to their original plans. You can't just go changing things in the 11th hour when things are planned out this far in advance. They should have recast Chadwick Boseman, they should have recast John Majors, and honestly they shouldn't be so eager to kill of their own characters in universe as well but that's a separate problem.

All I'm saying is animation would allow them to actually be Comic Book movies instead of just Superhero movies. Which I think would be much more enjoyable to watch. As long as not all of them try to do Spider-Verse graphics. That's getting to be a little too much on the eyes. Just do 2D animation.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween yesterday!

Started the 23rd drawing 2 days ago, but just finished it today. Doesn't help I keep waiting 'til night to get motivated, gotta start drawing earlier :skull:

This one is Vampire Hatsune Miku and Marceline! Tried to match the Adventure Time art style.
10-23-2023 - The Vampires.png

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
IMG_0665.jpeg

I can’t believe this is somehow real

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
not DC Comics having Batman beat up his family and drug Jason into being scared of fights only to end up sacrificing his life to stop a meteor during a needless war between Bruce and Selina over how to rehab Gotham only to find out that Bruce is both ****ed in the head by Zur and is cooperating with Riddler of all people to straighten out Gotham

DC Comics you being hella weird with the Batman stuff rn

Edit: also this
IMG_0667.jpeg

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Apparently, Sega is going to shut down their Yoko Taro's Arcade Girls gacha.

****, I really wanted to see one based on Magical Truck Adventure.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, it's entirely possible that the rest of the trilogy (assuming that idea actually takes off) could seriously tank in quality. We'll need to see that first sequel or maybe even a bit of that Penguin series before jumping to conclusions and saying that the whole thing sets a new standard for superhero flicks.

But I personally didn't think the first one was all that so it's going to take a lot of convincing on my part
Two words.

Matt Reeves.

That's all you need. As long as you keep him, other two is bound to be just as good of modern masterpieces.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master

1. Marvel is considering bringing back the entire original Avengers cast, including Tony and Natasha (via life revival)
  2. Blade is being rewritten with a budget below $100 million, and Mahershala Ali almost walked out of the project due to previous script issues
  3. Loki finale might make it harder for the MCU to pivot away from Kang, since they apparently want to transition to Doom as the main villain of the Multiverse Saga…of course would be due to the Majors allegations and controversy
  4. Vulture still in the SSU and not enough Spider-Man content
****ing hell Marvel, Disney, and the overall public reactions for Phase 4 and 5 got the MCU feeling ****ed up behind the scenes for 3 of those things
{sign}
I love the MCU and pretty apologetic to it, but even I think bringing back the original 6 Avengers is an IDIOTIC idea.
Undoing the departures of Iron Man, Black Widow, and Captain America complete negates their resolutions in Endgame.
Not to mention Chris Hemsworth (Thor) might be unable to return due to medical reasons.
If they go through this, I most likely will drop the MCU all together.

Also thoughts on my avatar?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Two words.

Matt Reeves.

That's all you need. As long as you keep him, other two is bound to be just as good of modern masterpieces.
Unless you’re one of the people who didn’t like The Batman like my friend who moved to Colorado (I never saw it) or just one of the many many many people who doesn’t share your weird opinions about movies which you’ve shared many times.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
{sign}
I love the MCU and pretty apologetic to it, but even I think bringing back the original 6 Avengers is an IDIOTIC idea.
Undoing the departures of Iron Man, Black Widow, and Captain America complete negates their resolutions in Endgame.
Not to mention Chris Hemsworth (Thor) might be unable to return due to medical reasons.
If they go through this, I most likely will drop the MCU all together.

Also thoughts on my avatar?
Pretty nice. I like it.

Now what do you think of my avatar?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Unless you’re one of the people who didn’t like The Batman like my friend who moved to Colorado (I never saw it) or just one of the many many many people who doesn’t share your weird opinions about movies which you’ve shared many times.
I loved The Batman. It was one of the best films of last year and one of the best superhero films to date alongside The Suicide Squad. That's why I have high hopes and confidence as long as Matt Reeves stays on board. This is the guy who did Dawn and War of the Planet of the Apes and Cloverfield.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Two words.

Matt Reeves.

Question: would you want me to shove Made in Abyss in your face every day?

If your answer is no, then you should know how everyone else here feels when you that same scenario but with Matt Reeves' Batman.
Pretty nice. I like it.

Now what do you think of my avatar?
A bit basic for my liking, but it does looks nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom