• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Thanks guys.

I said it in my last edit but truth is the suffering is what hurts the most. Her not being able to recognize the family or able to walk or eat by herself or really anything but sit and watch tv or read her newspaper (and I mean that very loosely) sucks.

Like this is gonna sound terrible, but I'm ready for her to pass on. Nobody wants a loved one to die, but is it truly living if you can't do anything but sit and suffer? It's just cruel to witness and be helpless

That just means you have a heart, dude.

Obviously no one wants a loved one to die, but it’s clear that her life has reached its end. She’s in pain, and you don’t want her to be. That makes total sense.
Yeah, Noi is right.

The fact you care so much about her, that you just want to see her stop suffering, means that you genuiely care for her well-being.

Honestly, not sure what else I could add to my previous post, because I understand that my way of handling a close one's death isn't necessarily similar to yours or Noi's. But just know MightyP, that I will try my best to help you as much as I can.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
We have an idea to when Metroid Prime 4 takes place in the timeline.
  • 20X5: Metroid/Metroid: Zero Mission
  • 20X6: Metroid Prime: Federation Force
  • 20X7: Super Metroid
  • 20X9: Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thanks guys.

I said it in my last edit but truth is the suffering is what hurts the most. Her not being able to recognize the family or able to walk or eat by herself or really anything but sit and watch tv or read her newspaper (and I mean that very loosely) sucks.

Like this is gonna sound terrible, but I'm ready for her to pass on. Nobody wants a loved one to die, but is it truly living if you can't do anything but sit and suffer? It's just cruel to witness and be helpless
All the death I've known in my life including both of my parents was sudden and quick so I may not know this and likely have no chance of experiencing it, you are not at fault for hoping she'll be relieved of pain soon. You're a good man and these complex emotions are in you because of that. You have a good heart and clearly love the lady for you to feel like this. Your mind is pretty much trying to brace itself for the storm of when the day comes out of hope it hurts less when that day comes. I don't think it's unreasonable to try and minimize the pain of an inevitable loss at all, you're only human and this is one of the most human behaivours of all. Please don't beat yourself up for something anyone would feel in your situation, you're too kind a soul to deserve feeling such guilt

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So can I be a bit personal for a bit? I'm asking for advice for those who've been in a similar situation.

My grandmother isn't doing so hot. She's had dementia for several years now, and the past couple years it's progressed significantly worse. She had several strokes (or seizures, nobody knows for sure), her motor abilities have drastically faltered, she can't use the bathroom, 95% deaf and she can't walk anymore. I'm expecting her to not be around after this year.

I was pretty close to her before the dementia, I regularly visted her over the summer, there were times I had sleepovers at her place, and above all I still love her so I know this is gonna hurt like a mf. My parents are discussing hospice (and tbh yeah I agree), and I've been trying to prepare myself for the inevitable all throughout this year.

So my question is, for those who were in similar situations, how did y'all brace for the impact, and cope with the loss and all that? While I had family members pass before, this is the first one I was ever truly close too. So like, any advice helps.
A bit late, but I am very, very, really sorry for what could be a loss. I know what it is like to have lost someone that was loved. We all do, so you are not alone on this. I remember losing my grandma back in 2009, plus, I do believe I have an aunt who has been hallucinating and is very old, but has not died yet. I know I am going to miss her just like how I miss my grandma.

But anyway, stay strong. It is a painful experience, but you can get through this. Remember that she will always be with you.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Thanks guys.

You have a bigger heart than me.

When my grandparents were dying I was looking forward to their deaths because I saw the toll it was taking on my parents. I wasn't happy that they were gone but I was relieved that my mom wouldn't have to stay at the hospital anymore. Even then I was moreso sad for my mom that her dad died than because my grandpa died. I feel like I had it easy with losing family, and I'm not at all ready for when my parents go.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You have a bigger heart than me.

When my grandparents were dying I was looking forward to their deaths because I saw the toll it was taking on my parents. I wasn't happy that they were gone but I was relieved that my mom wouldn't have to stay at the hospital anymore. Even then I was moreso sad for my mom that her dad died than because my grandpa died. I feel like I had it easy with losing family, and I'm not at all ready for when my parents go.
I mean I get it, her condition took a toll on my whole family as well, since she's always halucinating or fighting or something. I won't say I'm looking forward to her death but I'm just over it all tbh, it's a huge toll on her and her love ones and idk nobody deserves such a fate. Not her, and not my family.

It just sucks and I'm just exhausted of it all.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
... Did I say something bad?
Wanna apologize if I did. It wasn't my intention to bother anyone... Just wanted to help.
I get so anxious so easily, but It is genuiely hard to know online when I said something troublesome or not or rather if some people are mad or upset at me over stuff from the past.

I Think I will take a shower to calm myself a bit, more so since tomorrow morning I need to go to my current studying place to see if I was allowed on the media realization degree.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Wanna apologize if I did. It wasn't my intention to bother anyone... Just wanted to help.
I get so anxious so easily, but It is genuiely hard to know online when I said something troublesome or not or rather if some people are mad or upset at me over stuff from the past.

I Think I will take a shower to calm myself a bit, more so since tomorrow morning I need to go to my current studying place to see if I was allowed on the media realization degree.
You said nothing wrong, dw

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

This is a difficult subject, something there are no right or wrong answers to, no worries

Noipoi

Howdy!

I don’t think you did :drshrug:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, thanks again for the help and stuff. It's a tough thing to experience but whatever happens, I know I'll push through.
Hey, I know I've been quiet, but I always get worried I'll say something bad in situations like this...

I'm truly sorry that you and your family have been going through this. It's something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Just know we're here to talk if you feel like you need someone to speak to.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Finished with the shower. One more thing I wanna tell to TheMightyP TheMightyP Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen and Noipoi Noipoi specially.

I know the three of you have had really tough times recently... But believe, the three of you both don't deserve It and will probably get through It all with enough effort and strength.

You are all wonderful people, we all make mistakes as It is natural in people, but we also have a heart and worry about the people who surrounds us. That alone, will make sure that time will put things into place and ya'll will find wonderful and great people to share your Joy and happyness with.

I know It sounds kinda silly at first, but believe me, I used to not believe in that either... And then I found myself in my current studying place finding a girlfriend who is both strong enough to fight for herself but is also willing to help others and accept help from trusted people. Not to mention all the friends I made there who believe in me even today.

So yeah, even if online things all seem grim and such, and IRL we aren't being as lucky as we would like... Remember that everything will be put into place if we all work enough :)

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™
ooo look a pic I'm in XD

Jotadé

Smash Ace
This would be my dream Kombat Pass 2 for MK1:
aa590245-6a4a-4f86-8196-fd3a68d3ece9.png

It probably isn't likely, but It would go so hard.

ooo look a pic I'm in XD
Yooooo! That parade in the photo goes hard! You all rocked the flags!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Found two old binders full of drawings of Smash and smash adjacent characters done in a more "realistic" art style. Wanna see them? Name a character related to smash, I probably gave it a very cursed redesign

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh my god I forgot I turned the Pac-Man ghosts into Gangsters and made Eggman look like Ned Flanders (trying to make him look like Teddy Rosavelt but it just looks like Flanders) or that I made peach into a white skinned mushroom girl with a red spot beauty mark or GAVE TOAD A MUSHROOM AFRO!!!

I need to burn these.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh my god I forgot I turned the Pac-Man ghosts into Gangsters and made Eggman look like Ned Flanders (trying to make him look like Teddy Rosavelt but it just looks like Flanders) or that I made peach into a white skinned mushroom girl with a red spot beauty mark or GAVE TOAD A MUSHROOM AFRO!!!

I need to burn these.
You gotta repent dude

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
OK. I actually kind of like this Rabbid design (made because I was fooled by the Rayman leak)
IMG_1192.jpg

Also despite this being Pre-Cloud, Pre-Corrin, and Pre-Bayonetta I for some reason still drew characters from Castlevania, Splatoon, and Banjo-Kazooie.

... Wait **** I drew a Chocobo but no other Final Fantasy characters... what was I thinking?

Shroob

Sup?
OK. I actually kind of like this Rabbid design (made because I was fooled by the Rayman leak)View attachment 391744

Also despite this being Pre-Cloud, Pre-Corrin, and Pre-Bayonetta I for some reason still drew characters from Castlevania, Splatoon, and Banjo-Kazooie.

... Wait **** I drew a Chocobo but no other Final Fantasy characters... what was I thinking?
1719795212478.png

Same energy

KillerCage

Smash Master
So can I be a bit personal for a bit? I'm asking for advice for those who've been in a similar situation.

My grandmother isn't doing so hot. She's had dementia for several years now, and the past couple years it's progressed significantly worse. She had several strokes (or seizures, nobody knows for sure), her motor abilities have drastically faltered, she can't use the bathroom, 95% deaf and she can't walk anymore. I'm expecting her to not be around after this year.

I was pretty close to her before the dementia, I regularly visted her over the summer, there were times I had sleepovers at her place, and above all I still love her so I know this is gonna hurt like a mf. My parents are discussing hospice (and tbh yeah I agree), and I've been trying to prepare myself for the inevitable all throughout this year.

So my question is, for those who were in similar situations, how did y'all brace for the impact, and cope with the loss and all that? While I had family members pass before, this is the first one I was ever truly close too. So like, any advice helps.
My grandma on my mother's side also suffered from dementia during her final years. She didn't recognize me when I last visited her retirement home which left me feeling hollow and disheartened. Only my mom and her siblings continued to visit her after that until she passed away. Admittedly I felt more depressed at my grandpa's declining health and passing last year than her, but he was my last living grandparent at that point so it hit me harder. Still I empathize with your grief.

Top Bottom