• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel like we kaiju fans can't even get a good game.

Been far too long since Godzilla got a new fighting game, last time was on PS4.
You never heard of GigaBash? Godzilla, Kiryu, Gigan and Destroyah are notably featured as guests.

As with Ultraman and Dino Megazord.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The DuckTales reboot was cut down way too soon. Really wish it could have gotten its fourth season. Maybe someday we can still get it through sheer good luck.
ended on a high note and got to finish its story without Disney ****ing around

like they did with Owl House before learning way too late that people actually loved the show

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
ended on a high note and got to finish its story without Disney ****ing around

like they did with Owl House before learning way too late that people actually loved the show
Well... i mean Disney did kind of **** around with the show tbh. Season 3, while still being good, reeks of corporate meddling and they fit all of Webby's season 4 character arc into the season finale at most, a little more if you count a secondary villain that ended up being a red herring.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well... i mean Disney did kind of **** around with the show tbh. Season 3, while still being good, reeks of corporate meddling and they fit all of Webby's season 4 character arc into the season finale at most, a little more if you count a secondary villain that ended up being a red herring.
Didn’t really feel like much meddling occurred. At the worst the Webby conclusion thing could be seen as one, but it seemed more like a “hey it’s obvious and well known to me but not the rest of y’all somehow despite the “over our heads until not” teases” sort of thing.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
To this day it really sucks that The Owl House got shut down, but props to Dana Terrace and co for still being able to end it really well despite how their show got cut short more than they wanted it to be

Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester
The new Kong game is the worst thing I've ever seen:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
1697497459499.png

...the heck did I just watch?

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
a quick nutshell of Marvel’s NYCC conference…
IMG_0449.jpeg
IMG_0450.jpeg

Marvel’s comic division legit hates it when people reasonably ask for them to retcon OMD or to put Peter and MJ back together in the 616 universe

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
On one hand, I'm upset they didn't have all the time in the world to tell the entire story they wanted. On the other hand, I'm glad they didn't have half a season the keep the characters stuck in the human world to do nothing but fill space cough cough amphibia cough cough
Except that's not what Amphibia was doing with the first half of it's third season?

I still don't really get where you're coming from with that.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
To this day it really sucks that The Owl House got shut down, but props to Dana Terrace and co for still being able to end it really well despite how their show got cut short more than they wanted it to be

View attachment 379323
...the heck did I just watch?
Game comes from Gamemill

Terrible budget, same ones who published Nick All Star.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Didn’t really feel like much meddling occurred. At the worst the Webby conclusion thing could be seen as one, but it seemed more like a “hey it’s obvious and well known to me but not the rest of y’all somehow despite the “over our heads until not” teases” sort of thing.
There are a lot of moments in season 3 where you can feel earlier drafts of the scripts leaking through because of how the characters are talking and because of details not making sense in a way that didn’t exist in seasons 1 and 2. It’s like they were hurrying to rush out all their ideas before a deadline they didn’t have before, and fit them into a framework that wasn’t built to accommodate all of them, necessarily.

Honestly that means that getting a fourth season now wouldn’t really fix everything because season 3 is the way it is and they can’t just go back and change it. TV episodes don’t get post-launch patches.
Except that's not what Amphibia was doing with the first half of it's third season?

I still don't really get where you're coming from with that.
Yes it helps build up the plot and the characters get like… tidbits of lore that help them out, but in terms of advancing the overall plot stuff like working in the farmers market, the guy with the food truck, Sprig playing Spider-Man, and Hop Pop getting an acting career are like 80% filler. And in 11 minute episodes that’s not a really good number.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Honestly Disney treats a lot of its shows really poorly.

Just ask Wander over Yonder. Or Milo Murphy's Law. Then you have how American Dragon had a huge budget cut going into Season 2, killing its ratings.
Amphibia's Season 1 didn't get advertised at all and all of its episodes were released in a single month against the creator's wishes, followed by the whole True Colors fiasco.

Gravity Falls was forced onto Disney XD for Season 2, which would kill most shows but thankfully it managed to persist because it was Gravity Falls. But it still hurt its ratings.

Heck even Phineas and Ferb got screwed over in Season 4, even if they're getting a comeback. Apparently the reason the series finale happened when it did was because Disney executives were being really wishy-washy about a renewal, and the creators figured if it was going to end that it may as well be on their own terms.

If there's anything that makes me believe the Owl House's short lifespan wasn't due to homophobia it would be that being mistreated like that is the standard for Disney Channel cartoons. Although that whole "we'll renew it for season three but only sort-of kind-of" is still a really bizarre. There probably was still homophobia involved though.
Yes it helps build up the plot and the characters get like… tidbits of lore that help them out, but in terms of advancing the overall plot stuff like working in the farmers market, the guy with the food truck, Sprig playing Spider-Man, and Hop Pop getting an acting career are like 80% filler. And in 11 minute episodes that’s not a really good number.
...Working in the farmer's market? Are you talking about Temple Frogs? That episode explores Anne's Thai identity and what the Thai community means to her and her parents. I always found the fact that people called that episode "filler" to be in kind of poor taste.

The food truck episode provides closure on something set up in Season 2 as well. That episode was extremely important. And it does have pay off in the finale when they battle the herons.

Spider-Sprig and Hollywood Hop Pop might be less important to the plot overall but they're still important pieces of Sprig's and Hop Pop's character archs. Those archs are the main driving force of Amphibia's story - moreso then any plot twists or gizmos.

You don't have to like those episodes but they aren't "filler". They all serve a purpose.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That one's great.

I'm talking about a new one with Monsterverse content.
Ah gotcha.

I agree. We're overdue for a Godzilla game. A fighting one to be precise. With graphics today I can only imagine what it'd be like.

Also having characters like Ultraman, Gamera, Rogue Titan and EVA-01 as potential guests whether base or DLC!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Ah gotcha.

I agree. We're overdue for a Godzilla game. A fighting one to be precise. With graphics today I can only imagine what it'd be like.

Also having characters like Ultraman, Gamera, Rogue Titan and EVA-01 as potential guests whether base or DLC!
Here's how I imagine a roster with only Monsterverse content:
  1. Godzilla
  2. Male MUTO
  3. Female MUTO
  4. Shinomura
  5. MUTO Prime
  6. Kong
  7. Ramarak AKA Skull Devil
  8. Mothra
  9. Rodan
  10. King Ghidorah
  11. Behemoth
  12. Scylla
  13. Methuselah
  14. Tiamat
  15. Amhuluk
  16. Na Kika
  17. Camazotz
  18. Warbat
  19. Mechagodzilla
  20. Kraken (Skull Island show)
  21. Scar King (New Empire)
  22. Shimu (New Empire)
Left out the other Titans since we really don't know what they fully look like.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There are a lot of moments in season 3 where you can feel earlier drafts of the scripts leaking through because of how the characters are talking and because of details not making sense in a way that didn’t exist in seasons 1 and 2. It’s like they were hurrying to rush out all their ideas before a deadline they didn’t have before, and fit them into a framework that wasn’t built to accommodate all of them, necessarily.

Honestly that means that getting a fourth season now wouldn’t really fix everything because season 3 is the way it is and they can’t just go back and change it. TV episodes don’t get post-launch patches.

Honestly Disney treats a lot of its shows really poorly.

Just ask Wander over Yonder. Or Milo Murphy's Law. Then you have how American Dragon had a huge budget cut going into Season 2, killing its ratings.
Amphibia's Season 1 didn't get advertised at all and all of its episodes were released in a single month against the creator's wishes, followed by the whole True Colors fiasco.

Gravity Falls was forced onto Disney XD for Season 2, which would kill most shows but thankfully it managed to persist because it was Gravity Falls. But it still hurt its ratings.

Heck even Phineas and Ferb got screwed over in Season 4, even if they're getting a comeback. Apparently the reason the series finale happened when it did was because Disney executives were being really wishy-washy about a renewal, and the creators figured if it was going to end that it may as well be on their own terms.

If there's anything that makes me believe the Owl House's short lifespan wasn't due to homophobia it would be that being mistreated like that is the standard for Disney Channel cartoons. Although that whole "we'll renew it for season three but only sort-of kind-of" is still a really bizarre. There probably was still homophobia involved though.
...Working in the farmer's market? Are you talking about Temple Frogs? That episode explores Anne's Thai identity and what the Thai community means to her and her parents. I always found the fact that people called that episode "filler" to be in kind of poor taste.

The food truck episode provides closure on something set up in Season 2 as well. That episode was extremely important. And it does have pay off in the finale when they battle the herons.

Spider-Sprig and Hollywood Hop Pop might be less important to the plot overall but they're still important pieces of Sprig's and Hop Pop's character archs. Those archs are the main driving force of Amphibia's story - moreso then any plot twists or gizmos.

You don't have to like those episodes but they aren't "filler". They all serve a purpose.
at this point it’s probably easy to say Disney doesn’t know how to market any of their properties correctly (and without overmilking it)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
...Ya know I wasn't thinking about it in the moment, but Sprig befriending Molly Jo and Hop Pop befriending Humphry were actually part of Anne's character arch too. So was Polly meeting with Ally and Jess.

Pardon my amateur literary analysis here.
When she got back to Earth, she had just been backstabbed a thousand times over and is completely distrustful of the people around her. Especially strangers. So she urges the Plantars stay avoid contact with strangers and handle everything by themselves. But instead they all go behind her back to do their own things and make friends and ultimately show her that it's still okay to trust people sometimes.

That's kind of the whole theme of Season 3A - it's more subtle then some people would have liked but it's about Anne's recovery from the trauma she experienced in True Colors. In that sense it's also kind of important that most Season 3A episodes are kind of low stakes - Anne needs to build back up her (emotional) strength for the more dangerous second half of the season.

And of course it comes full circle in the All In when Andrias gets his hands on Leif's letter, and also learns - from a Plantar no less - the importance of being able to open your heart to others.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Same thing with Nickelodeon.

Most modern shows except Loud House got cancelled.
Doesn't Cartoon Network do the same thing too, nowadays, like having just Teen Titans Go and a few others? I could be wrong, as it has been a while since I last checked.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Doesn't Cartoon Network do the same thing too, nowadays, like having just Teen Titans Go and a few others? I could be wrong, as it has been a while since I last checked.
yes and no. WBD tax cuts took away a good chunk of their shows, combined with shutting down their studio and then sending some of their shows to either Max or Adult Swim (including Tiny Toons, where CN airs the season after Max dropped all the episodes). By default, they don’t got much new content to showcase

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
yes and no. WBD tax cuts took away a good chunk of their shows, combined with shutting down their studio and then sending some of their shows to either Max or Adult Swim (including Tiny Toons, where CN airs the season after Max dropped all the episodes). By default, they don’t got much new content to showcase
That makes sense, even though I did figure that. Thanks for explaining.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Honestly people whining about Earth shenanigans was half the reason I left the Amphibia fandom, really don't want to deal with it here.
If I'm perfectly honest, I didn't their time on earth was wasted. We spent enough time to care for the people of L.A. or at the very least Anne's parents. I would have liked to seen Sasha and Marcy's families as it could have given us more context for the girls' actions throughout the show, but I'm not being picky.
I'm still happy what we got.

Top Bottom