• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just wait till you get to Bonkers.

The amount of fun significantly decreases.
I’m watching it. I decided to watch 8 shows at once because of the ammount of episodes each show has. So I’m watching Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Bonkers, and Gargoyles. One episode of each a day.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I at least heard of people who enjoy Bonkers

I haven't heard of anyone who has enjoyed Shnookums & Meat. That is where the true trash lies
Which is why I’m not watching that one. Or Quack Pack. Or Mighty Ducks.

I’m not watching Aladdin or Timone & Pumba either but that’s because of how directly connected to their movies they are (that and the Aladdin cartoon isn’t on Disney+ for some reason).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
IMG_0342.jpeg
IMG_0343.jpeg

Marvel why do y’all hate 616 Spider-Man so ****ing much?

KillerCage

Smash Master
Im not gonna lie im actually bummed that Power rangers finally got cancelled after narrowly avoiding it for 3 decades.

I wanted to see how they would localize stuff like Zenkaiger, Lupat or Kingohger.
I'm sorry, Power Rangers is getting cancelled???
That's genuinely surprising considering every season past In Space featured new teams disconnected from Zordon and they gone through multiple ownership changes including Disney.
Detective Pikachu 2 releases tomorrow.

Ngl, don't got a good feeling about this one
The real mystery that needs solving is why the 3DS version looks better than the HD console game
I enjoyed the original Detective Pikachu, but the sequel came way too late to generate any interest.
It doesn't help that the 3DS original looks significantly better than the HD sequel.
View attachment 378840View attachment 378841
Marvel why do y’all hate 616 Spider-Man so ****ing much?
I'm sorry, but since WHEN did MJ become Gwen Tennyson???

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know I should be focused on Paul but when the hell did MJ get superpowers?!
I'm sorry, but since WHEN did MJ become Gwen Tennyson???
easy…there’s no backstory nor any sort or reasoning to it. She randomly had jackpot powers during a crossover with Black Cat. Never been explained and has only been around since January or March (but hasn’t used them outside of dealing with demons). Once her new comic series starts up, they’ll probably attempt to explain why she even has them.

But for now we have to witness these characters be done dirty (and to also be grateful Cindy and Jessica haven’t been affected by the Peter/MJ/Paul/Norman stuff). Miles and Gwen dealing with these things has been hella rare atm (and they either quickly brush it off or ignore it completely)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Look at me. I've watched two episodes of Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers so far not knowing that there's a proper five part "first episode" story that was produced as part of season 2 for some reason! Why does nobody tell me these things!

Shroob

Sup?
Look at me. I've watched two episodes of Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers so far not knowing that there's a proper five part "first episode" story that was produced as part of season 2 for some reason! Why does nobody tell me these things!
Most people here wouldn't even be babies when Rescue Rangers even came out.

Shroob

Sup?
Swear to god this is the most frustrating Tera Raid event so far because people keep using Koraidon against a FLYING ATTACK SPAMMER. WHY.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Watched Loki’s season premiere and it reminds me more and more of how ****ed all the Spideys (mostly the MCU one) got by Sylvie, halfway Strange, and Wanda

…actually all spiders are ****ed over regardless now that I remember it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I did hear about Hasbro planning to move away from Sentai, not sure that's gonna work out for them lol
"Sentai footage is holding us back" mfers when production costs increase significantly and for some reason they got weirdly racist again while barely becoming an improvement, if at all (They do not know how to handle the brand they only got for the sake of a monopoly)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
some minor yet important info on some of the characters of Spider-Man 2
IMG_0350.jpeg
IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg
IMG_0351.jpeg
IMG_0353.jpeg
IMG_0354.jpeg
IMG_0358.jpeg
IMG_0356.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
KingOhger is still using mostly volume filming in part 2, there is a little more on-site filming but overall it would be an extremely difficult series to adapt

I did hear about Hasbro planning to move away from Sentai, not sure that's gonna work out for them lol
I mean… being able to craft their own stories and characters 100% from scratch seems like a good thing to me.

Shroob

Sup?
Gave up trying to do it solo so I joined a group online.

Was 3 Skeledirges, and then the host suddenly flipped to Torterra of all things.

I wasn't able to leave at that point so I was expecting the absolute worst, but the host was an absolute god using nothing but support moves like Reflect and TICKLE.

Hats off to that guy, talk about being anti-Meta.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
the drawing of october fifth.

Paper Mario and the Sky Trees

This one's too big for here, so here's a dropbox link:
These guys are still one of the creepiest (and coolest) Easter Eggs in any Mario game.

Looking at them while this music plays only adds to the atmospheric spooky factor:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
"Sentai footage is holding us back" mfers when production costs increase significantly and for some reason they got weirdly racist again while barely becoming an improvement, if at all (They do not know how to handle the brand they only got for the sake of a monopoly)
It'd be a more reasonable excuse if they just said "We dont know how to fit the more recent Sentais into Power rangers canon"

The Sentai shows they havent used involve:

Trains

Minecraft zoo animals

Phantom Thieves

Gemstones

Miniature versions of Megazords

The Momotaro legend

Medieval political drama

Not exactly ranger teams that would sell in America.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean… being able to craft their own stories and characters 100% from scratch seems like a good thing to me.
To me the primary issue is PR has never updated its sensibilities for the modern era. From what I've seen the modern shows still have cringe-inducing dialogue and storytelling that is obnoxious and condescending. We've seen many kid shows in the last several decades tackle thoughtful ideas and deliver complex characterization and storytelling but PR is still written like a 90s after school special with superheroes. I don't think original footage will change that.

Honestly the success of live action One Piece should be a wakeup call to American producers that you can sell a show with camp and cartoony special effects if it has real heart and emotion put into it.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
To me the primary issue is PR has never updated its sensibilities for the modern era. From what I've seen the modern shows still have cringe-inducing dialogue and storytelling that is obnoxious and condescending. We've seen many kid shows in the last several decades tackle thoughtful ideas and deliver complex characterization and storytelling but PR is still written like a 90s after school special with superheroes. I don't think original footage will change that.

Honestly the success of live action One Piece should be a wakeup call to American producers that you can sell a show with camp and cartoony special effects if it has real heart and emotion put into it.
From what i understand the PR restart is planned to be aimed at a YA demographic, im not really a fan of western YA fiction.

Honestly PR's charm to me all these years is that it's an American production with heavy Japanese elements in the designs for the heroes and robots, getting rid of that and only using American designed aspect just takes that away.

Sure the comics have American created rangers with the same general design asthetic as the Japanese ranger costumes, but you saw what Hasbro did in live action with Cosmic fury's suits, those looked awful.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It'd be a more reasonable excuse if they just said "We dont know how to fit the more recent Sentais into Power rangers canon"

The Sentai shows they havent used involve:

Trains

Minecraft zoo animals

Phantom Thieves

Gemstones

Miniature versions of Megazords

The Momotaro legend

Medieval political drama

Not exactly ranger teams that would sell in America.
Thing is, Power Rangers has a history of doing unique and fun things with Sentai themes like turning Megaranger into a Space theme and also making Sentai Themes really bad like with Gokaiger.

But they could at least experiment, I could see ToQger, Kiramager and Zyuohger being used with some creativity.

but from what it sounds like i'm like 90% sure Hasbro is afraid to do any theme that is not Dinosaurs lol.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
On top of all of this i find what Hasbro chose to do weird because their most popular brand is also a collaborative effort between America and Japan.

All the designs and toys for Transformers are made in Japan with Hasbro just doing the stories that go along with them.

StormC

Smash Hero
From what i understand the PR restart is planned to be aimed at a YA demographic, im not really a fan of western YA fiction.

Honestly PR's charm to me all these years is that it's an American production with heavy Japanese elements in the designs for the heroes and robots, getting rid of that and only using American designed aspect just takes that away.

Sure the comics have American created rangers with the same general design asthetic as the Japanese ranger costumes, but you saw what Hasbro did in live action with Cosmic fury's suits, those looked awful.
Sure, but honestly I've always been of the opinion that once I discovered Sentai Power Rangers had no value to me. PR is just a watered down, Americanized Sentai that often has a patronizing attitude towards both its audience and the original Japanese productions.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
They suddenly turned MJ into a hybrid of Gwen Tennyson and Atom Eve. Lol.
kinda? Her power is that a random jackpot appears and spins onto something random, then she transforms and/or uses whatever it lands on thrice. Gwen and Eve were built far better in this case

Top Bottom