• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I will post this again so it doesn't get buried...(I had to edit it in one of my previous posts that I am sure a lot of people have seen before the edit)

What do you all think of this? It looks like Jim Ryan of Sony is stepping down from his position at Sony.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I forgot Valve announced Counter Strike 2.

I checked Socials and it is out now.

In other news, FTC wants to go 0-3 in blocking Microsoft buying Activision as they’re trying again.
Keep in mind that MS can close the deal even with the FTC news.
The FTC are that desperate to do so? Geez, it seems like giving up is not in their vocabulary.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Scott the Woz is flipping out somewhere:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The FTC are that desperate to do so? Geez, it seems like giving up is not in their vocabulary.
Here’s another interesting side drama: the judge who ruled against the FTC the first time recently denied the lawyer’s behind the Gamer’s Lawsuit a request for communication between Microsoft and Florian Mueller (full disclosure: he worked for Microsoft but is not with them and has been reporting on aspects of the acquisition, notably the FTC vs MS case) since the lawyer’s believe they were communicating on the case.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here’s another interesting side drama: the judge who ruled against the FTC the first time recently denied the lawyer’s behind the Gamer’s Lawsuit a request for communication between Microsoft and Florian Mueller (full disclosure: he worked for Microsoft but is not with them and has been reporting on aspects of the acquisition, notably the FTC vs MS case) since the lawyer’s believe they were communicating on the case.
That's interesting. What is the Gamer, or Gamer's Lawsuit, in this case?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
That's interesting. What is the Gamer, or Gamer's Lawsuit, in this case?
In December of last year, a group of Gamers filed a suit under the motion that the acquisition would make MS too powerful. The case was dismissed in March of 2023 since the plaintiffs could not prove that it would. They tried again in April with assistance from Sony, only to be denied by the same federal court (and the same judge who would rule in the FTC vs. Microsoft case). After the decision that there would be no preliminary injunction passed, the Gamers tried one more time. They lost in a day.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In December of last year, a group of Gamer’s filed a suit under the motion that the acquisition would make MS too powerful. The case was dismissed in March of 2023 since the plaintiffs could not prove that it would. They tried again in April with assistance from Sony, only to be denied by the same federal court (and the same judge who would rule in the FTC vs. Microsoft case). After the decision that there would be no preliminary injunction passed, the Gamers tried one more time. They lost in a day.
Sounds like they were desperate. Isn't it just Gamers, though, instead of Gamer's?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, you don’t make a theme park for a game series that you have no intention of further developing. But individual leak’s probably don’t provide accurate pictures.
Donkey Kong's too big a mascot to just disappear like Star Fox or something, I know there'll be a new DK eventually.

Just not for another decade :079:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Donkey Kong's too big a mascot to just disappear like Star Fox or something, I know there'll be a new DK eventually.

Just not for another decade :079:
I doubt it’s for another decade. That’s not intellectually sound either. (Possibly hence the slowpoke emoji). But we are in need of a proper game announcement. And it’s starting to look like the next system will be its home (which I hate because I’d really like to only have to pay $60 for it and not $360. Possibly more depending on what other pointless gimmick tech they cram into it.)

Noipoi

Howdy!
I doubt it’s for another decade. That’s not intellectually sound either. (Possibly hence the slowpoke emoji). But we are in need of a proper game announcement. And it’s starting to look like the next system will be its home (which I hate because I’d really like to only have to pay $60 for it and not $360. Possibly more depending on what other pointless gimmick tech they cram into it.)
It's probably just bad timing.

Game development takes a while. If the rumors are true, then Vicarious Visions spent some time with DK before what had to be several years of dev time fell through. So Nintendo EPD started from scratch, which of course would take several more years.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the reason all the DK rumbling started up in 2021 is because that's when they really started work on the new game, meaning it'd only be about two years in.

Noipoi

Howdy!
New trailer for Wish!
I really love how animation has been doing since 2016. A lot of movies have came out with gorgeous art styles.

I still stand by Kubo and Trolls starting this whole renaissance, their animation still holds up even now. I cannot wait to see what we're getting in the coming years!
I appreciate that there's an actual bad guy.

Who's bad and does bad things from the start and isn't a twist villain. Or he's just grumpy because he had a bad childhood.

And I say this as someone who loved Encanto and thought Turning Red was fun. The generation trauma stuff needs a break.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
People talk about the Switch's install base, but if the DK game only became close to completion recently, putting it on the Switch right at its tail-end would be myopic when their plan for the IP is entirely future-oriented. They've got a theme park and a movie coming, they're not gonna want it on a system with months left before the successor, they're gonna want it to be an evergreen so that there's actually a DK game available on their current platform when all the other DK stuff releases.

I've been banging on about this for a long time.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
People talk about the Switch's install base, but if the DK game only became close to completion recently, putting it on the Switch right at its tail-end would be myopic when their plan for the IP is entirely future-oriented. They've got a theme park and a movie coming, they're not gonna want it on a system with months left before the successor, they're gonna want it to be an evergreen so that there's actually a DK game available on their current platform when all the other DK stuff releases.

I've been banging on about this for a long time.
Considering where the Switch 1 is in its lifetime, I must agree. I bet the same can be said of Metroid Prime 4. But yeah, in either case, it would basically be suicide to put a new DK on the Switch 1, especially since a new console is said to be coming soon.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Only conditionally. Depends on what the game actually ends up being like.
Donkey Kong starts fighting like Bayonetta
View attachment 378430
Like that'll ever happen
you guys can still dream about it…which is almost more than what us Kid Icarus Uprising fans are getting
Considering where the Switch 1 is in its lifetime, I must agree. I bet the same can be said of Metroid Prime 4. But yeah, in either case, it would basically be suicide to put a new DK on the Switch 1, especially since a new console is said to be coming soon.
or it drops on Switch 1 and Switch 2, like what Zelda did with TP (for GameCube and Wii) and BOTW (Wii U and Switch)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
or it drops on Switch 1 and Switch 2, like what Zelda did with TP (for GameCube and Wii) and BOTW (Wii U and Switch)
I do not think we will be that lucky, honestly. Plus, there might be differences between Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Donkey Kong getting a release on two Nintendo consoles.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
If they weren't going to be Switch 2 games, I think both DK and MP4 would've been revealed by now. That isn't to say MP4 may not cross-release, but I would be shocked if it doesn't release on the next thing, with basically all the marketing focusing on that.

I wouldn't be surprised if WarioWare is the last original, non-cross-release title from a first-party IP that isn't Mario or Pokemon on Switch.

I do not think we will be that lucky, honestly. Plus, there might be differences between Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Donkey Kong getting a release on two Nintendo consoles.
No, DK won't. But Metroid might, just because it's already been promised for Switch.

Shroob

Sup?
Almost done with Ramanas Park, just the weather trio left.

Then I can REALLY be done with this game until I go on the ribbon quest.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
SneakyLink SneakyLink Will Hamster Corporation re-release american arcade games (Pre-1984 Atari, Q*Bert) for their Arcade Archives line?

or they will be on the kingdom of Never Happening with the likes of Data East games owned by Paon, a different version (official hack) of Ms Pac-Man where she's replaced with Pac-Mom and a Nintendo Switch-exclusive standalone release of Tiger Tiger from Xenoblade 2

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Scott the Woz is flipping out somewhere:
Do you think they would reference this in the cancelled adult animated Gex cartoon?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's probably just bad timing.

Game development takes a while. If the rumors are true, then Vicarious Visions spent some time with DK before what had to be several years of dev time fell through. So Nintendo EPD started from scratch, which of course would take several more years.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the reason all the DK rumbling started up in 2021 is because that's when they really started work on the new game, meaning it'd only be about two years in.
Not every nintendo game takes 5+ years to make. It could be sooner rather than later. And it does seem like they are ramping up marketing of the brand, what with the presence in the movie, the lego stuff, Diddy and Funky in the booster course pass, and the theme park. But that could all just be a coincidence and nintendo rarely does stuff with rhyme or reason.
Donkey Kong starts fighting like Bayonetta

you guys can still dream about it…which is almost more than what us Kid Icarus Uprising fans are getting

That would be cool as a spinoff but not what I want for the next mainline game.

Also don't get your hopes up. Nintendo rarely follows industry norms and traditionally games like that have only released on both the old system and the new system together because they started development on the old system and they were ready to go right away. Heck the Wii U could have probably ran Odyssey and they could have released it for that system, even if it was just digital only, but they didn't. So unless they're gonna launch with Donkey Kong day 1, and I'm talking literal day 1. Not happening.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Which Easter egg?
There's a lot of them.
When I posted this I was talking about Ann showing up in a news article on Camilla's phone in the S2 finale.

Loved the Owl House finale btw. Though i swore I saw a clip of Luz proposing to Amity online somewhere so I'm surprised it wasn't in the show. Maybe I dreampt it.

So far I'm seven episodes (14 segments) in to Amphibia and so far it's... IDK its ok. It's not doing as much with it's premise as I feel it could be, but that kind of happens when the segments are only 11 minutes long and the show is going for a more slice of life type thing. Tgere has been some good character stuff but idk, not quite scratching the right itches yet.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So far I'm seven episodes (14 segments) in to Amphibia and so far it's... IDK its ok. It's not doing as much with it's premise as I feel it could be, but that kind of happens when the segments are only 11 minutes long and the show is going for a more slice of life type thing. Tgere has been some good character stuff but idk, not quite scratching the right itches yet.
The show is like Regigigas.

It takes a while to get going.

Top Bottom