• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I caught up to Jujutsu Kaisen today

I mostly had a good time reading it but I feel like I filtered out some vital information while reading it cause I'm completely lost on how some things work and the characters constantly discussing them like I'm supposed to know it all does not help. At least now I'll hopefully know what to pay attention to when watching the anime

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't even want a new switch! Who really even does besides graphics whores and people who only buy Nintendo Systems.
They gotta do something about the hardware dude, the Switch is really starting to look outdated. And it was already underpowered from the jump. I don't need an HD 5K+ 69420 tera-gigaflop power machine, but an upgrade would be nice.

Besides, a new console was always going to come someday. And the start of a new Nintendo system is always an exciting time.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't even want a new switch! Who really even does besides graphics whores and people who only buy Nintendo Systems.
After seeing how Mortal Kombat 1, a game whose devs decided not to port to PS4 and Xbone, performs on a much weaker system than those two? Everyone.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They gotta do something about the hardware dude, the Switch is really starting to look outdated. And it was already underpowered from the jump. I don't need an HD 5K+ 69420 tera-gigaflop power machine, but an upgrade would be nice.

Besides, a new console was always going to come someday. And the start of a new Nintendo system is always an exciting time.
I just don't want to spend the money. Plus there's the very real possibility that it won't be backwards compatible.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All the Pokemon Youtubers, "Shiny hunt Applin NOW before the DLC!"

Kitakami, Has an apple orchard as one of its main areas to visit
Or maybe not Shiny Hunt even after the DLC and not waste hours trying to find palette swap versions of the mons you already have with no gameplay differences.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just don't want to spend the money.
Fair enough. I'm not stoked about having to spend over 400$ by next holiday either, but such is the way of things.

Plus there's the very real possibility that it won't be backwards compatible.
Not a chance.

I won't pretend Nintendo is the savviest company in the world, in fact a lot of the time they're goofballs. But they'd have to be ****in idiots to not make this thing backwards compatible.

They're gonna want to ride the success of the Switch for as long as possible. If people who just got a Switch 2 still have access to the entire Swatch library, they only stand to profit.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Well, we can only hope that backwards compatibility will work anyways. One question that stands to mind is about the online service though. Is something going to change regarding the online service with Switch 2? I hope it doesn't get worse... looks at Playstation

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Fair enough. I'm not stoked about having to spend 400$ by next holiday either, but such is the way of things.

Not a chance.

I won't pretend Nintendo is the savviest company in the world, in fact a lot of the time they're goofballs. But they'd have to be ****in idiots to not make this thing backwards compatible.

They're gonna want to ride the success of the Switch for as long as possible. If people who just got a Switch 2 still have access to the entire Swatch library, they only stand to profit.
But the switch 2 games come on special lego bricks so the system doesn't even have a cartridge slot! and even if it did the new system has the smell control gimmicks that the old games just wouldn't support! Better to port them again with that functionality added in.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about backwards compatibility, Nintendo's pretty good with that as long as it's a single console generation between.

Wii could play Gamecube
WiiU could play Wii
The handhelds

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I hope NSO games don't reset.

It's been six years and we're still getting a slow trickle of classic games, we don't even have Gamecube **** yet. If we have to start back from Super Mario Bros and Zelda NES, I'm gonna freak.
What, you don't want a 4th round of Earthbound/SMRPG fans going feral about their cult classic game being added to the service?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Damn, did he already say something about it a while ago? Likely missed it. RIP then I guess, there's a bit of a demand but I had a feeling it's not feasible.

Didn't we have a Direct about SMB Wonder?
Yes but why waste a direct on it, when it could have bolstered what sounds like a very pointless direct coming up.

Noipoi

Howdy!
But the switch 2 games come on special lego bricks so the system doesn't even have a cartridge slot! and even if it did the new system has the smell control gimmicks that the old games just wouldn't support! Better to port them again with that functionality added in.

The old games will simply not use the smell control functions. DS games didn't use 3D on the 3DS. And there's a port on the bottom of the system that accepts old Switch cartridges, like the DS for the GBA.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about backwards compatibility, Nintendo's pretty good with that as long as it's a single console generation between.

Wii could play Gamecube
WiiU could play Wii
The handhelds
Even then it's not an arbitrary decision when they drop backwards compatibility for a previous system.

Wii U can't play GameCube games because it didn't launch with support for its controls. The Switch has no room for a disc drive and isn't a dual-screen handheld, so no backwards compatibility whatsoever. Meanwhile I don't see any reason for a Switch 2 to not support backwards compatibility, not even whatever the hell SnakeFighter was just trying to argue.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more leaks for the DLC.

Like, ignoring the fact that the entire dex leaked, there's been a lot of hints about a lot of other stuff, and some people very clearly have the game early, yet they're keeping super quiet.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't know man. The dock could have had a disc drive in it or something. There are ways they could have done it.

Also why not have like a CD tray deal in the back?
Production costs, perhaps. Or maybe they felt like it'd make the system a bit too clunky, when it's supposed to be all sleek sand easy take it out on the go.

And seriously, all jokes aside, they probably recognized the monetary gain that'd come from repackaging Wii U games that no one bought.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Production costs, perhaps. Or maybe they felt like it'd make the system a bit too clunky, when it's supposed to be all sleek sand easy take it out on the go.

And seriously, all jokes aside, they probably recognized the monetary gain that'd come from repackaging Wii U games that no one bought.
And you don't think they'll try that again with Switch games?

Shroob

Sup?
And you don't think they'll try that again with Switch games?
Depends on if the system is backwards compatible.

If it is, then what's the point.

Only thing I could realistically seem them do is like, re-re-release MK8 with all the DLC on the disc, or a Smash with all the DLC on the disc(Highly doubtful on that one).

Top Bottom