• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Speaking of Max…

Over the Garden Wall is getting the boot, along with Squidbillies and (supposedly) The Steven Universe Movie and Venture Bros.
Over the Garden Wall is one of the best animated series ever made. Genuinely disgusted at how Zaslav is able to disrespect high quality so casually.

I know Venture Bros just got a new movie and apparently it's already sold out on Amazon and my friend (who is a huge fan) thinks it could boost the chance of a new season happening, so I kinda doubt that one, but it's a shame for that too if it gets removed.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
With the Sword that banishes Evil and one temple done, I can say I like ToTK more than BoTW so far. Something's super relaxing about fusing material and making machinery, I appreciate the enemy variety, and I enjoy that this game has more of a structure akin to any other Zelda game.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
With the Sword that banishes Evil and one temple done, I can say I like ToTK more than BoTW so far. Something's super relaxing about fusing material and making machinery, I appreciate the enemy variety, and I enjoy that this game has more of a structure akin to any other Zelda game.
I'm mostly still just going around doing sidequests and stuff, and so far it seems to be pretty much just Breath of the Wild with more places to explore and slightly different abilities. Don't get me wrong, I like that since I love BotW, but it has yet to beat the DLC allegations

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm mostly still just going around doing sidequests and stuff, and so far it seems to be pretty much just Breath of the Wild with more places to explore and slightly different abilities. Don't get me wrong, I like that since I love BotW, but it has yet to beat the DLC allegations
Think of it as the Majora's Mask to BoTW's OoT. Like the overall structure is the exact same but the game is just everything good about the prequel, but better.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Think of it as the Majora's Mask to BoTW's OoT. Like the overall structure is the exact same but the game is just everything good about the prequel, but better.
Majora had a completely different structure tho. Like the setting was basically Hyrule on drugs, but it was still incredibly distinct from Ocarina's Hyrule and felt like a less traditional Zelda adventure. TotK is very much not that, it reuses the map and assets with bits of modification, and is very much a traditional Zelda adventure. idk I kinda hope they break away from Hyrule in the next game.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Majora had a completely different structure tho. Like the setting was basically Hyrule on drugs, but it was still incredibly distinct from Ocarina's Hyrule and felt like a less traditional Zelda adventure. TotK is very much not that, it reuses the map and assets with bits of modification, and is very much a traditional Zelda adventure. idk I kinda hope they break away from Hyrule in the next game.
By structure I mean the core of the game. It plays exactly like Ocarina, reuses a lot from Ocarina, and yet still gives a unique experience regardless.

Tears does the same thing, maybe to a greater extent since the surface is very similar to BoTW's (there are some differences though), but it turn, it gives us a much larger main story (which IMO was BoTW's biggest issue), genuine dungeons, put more focus on the supporting and minor charcters, and expanded on the exploration which was arguably the best part of the prequel. More than enough to warrant a sequel, only issue is most of that is relegated to the main story, side stuff is basically BOTW Nuts and Bolts.

I do agree that BOTW3 should take place out of Hyrule, the best Zelda games do that.

Edit: Also, bring back the hookshot already

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
hope you keep that happy and hopeful feeling up until you fight Ganondorf

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I really need to get back to playing Tears but then I think about just how much there is to do in that game and get super overwhelmed

KillerCage

Smash Master
Definitely need to rewatch it at some point just to make sense of the film's story structure cause it was kinda confusing. Aside from that and being a bit too long, I say the movie was superb and won't be surprised if it got Oscar nominations including Best Picture. I geneuinely did not recognize Robert Downey Jr. in Opperheimer which is weird for me to say.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I replayed BotW before TotK came out and I don't really get this, the world feels much, much more alive than BotW did with all the people you'd constantly encounter and all the quests they'd have, to me, BotW felt like a world that's struggling to go on, but still feels hopeful whereas TotK has started the healing process and society is able to move on and advance

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I replayed BotW before TotK came out and I don't really get this, the world feels much, much more alive than BotW did with all the people you'd constantly encounter and all the quests they'd have, to me, BotW felt like a world that's struggling to go on, but still feels hopeful whereas TotK has started the healing process and society is able to move on and advance
From a storytelling perspective I guess that's true, but from a gameplay perspective it feels very samey to me. Idk it's been a year since I played BotW and there's a lot of overlap, it's not really too big of an issue to me since I still enjoy the game, but I can't just pretend it's not there

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Tbh I really love TotK, but I will say there's something about the magic of playing Breath of the Wild for the first time that TotK was never able to perfectly replicate.

Seeing a dragon flying in the distance for the first fime, seeing a bright blue glow on a mountain top and traveling to check it out, or exploring the deadly, malice-filled ruins if Hyrule Castle in search of treasure...TotK never filled me with that same melancholy sense of wonder or mystery that made me love BotW so, so much. Maybe it will for new players.

It feels more like a playground this time, tbh. More of a "you already know the drill, you already know where everything is, here's some new toys, now go do whatever the frick you want". It's a lot more laidback this time around.

I guess fighting Colgera was incredible for the first time.
And then there was going after the Master Sword early amd finding it on the light dragon. I hadn't visited most of the tears yet either and had and was like "why does this unnamed dragon have the master swo-oh. Oh no.

So I guess stumbling onto Mineru on my own was pretty neat too.

Top Bottom