• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Multiverses having a Superman skin that's like the 40's cartoon is awesome to see, I'll admit that.

Still set in the same universe as Venom, Morbius and the upcoming Kraven film is never the less.

And still a movie no one asked for.
Clearly, but people like Venom's films enough. Kraven has actual history that's worth exploring. None of that is as groan worthy as that Luchador guy who exists for literally two issues.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
omg
Still set in the same universe as Venom, Morbius and the upcoming Kraven film is never the less.

And still a movie no one asked for.

we all know there was a person somewhere asking for a Madame Web movie

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Kraven has actual history that's worth exploring.
Also a movie no one was asking for. Hell no one was asking for any Spider-Man villain origin films.

Clearly Sony's desperate attempt as their own Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Now a Doctor Doom origin movie I could get behind on the other hand. Or Magneto for that matter.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also a movie no one was asking for. Hell no one was asking for any Spider-Man villain origin films.

Now a Doctor Doom origin movie I could get behind on the other hand.
Probably not. But people have been asking for Kraven to show up in Spider-Man films. And like I said before, the character has a history worth exploring, given his crazy family and ties to characters like Chameleon. I don't think it'd be a fantastic film, but it COULD work. Keep in mind Kraven's one of those characters who's aging slows down and the like.

And personally I think a Kraven Solo-film makes a little more sense than making his first film Kraven's Last Hunt. And not just because that comic would be tricky to adapt in any other medium.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Already I know that Kraven movie is gonna be a steaming hot pile of garbage as Morbius was.

Especially being released for January. Shows Sony has no faith in that film.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Now a Doctor Doom origin movie I could get behind on the other hand. Or Magneto for that matter.
Kraven is genuinelly a popular character though. Granted, it's a bit of a drop from Venom but he's still recognizable being a part of the Sinister Six and all. Kraven's Last Hunt is still considered one of the greatest comics of all time, and people wanted him a Spidey Film for a very long time.

Also, he got meme power on his side as well
hqdefault (16).jpg

1181239-82195_21203_kraven_the_hunter.jpg

Now it's gonna suck because Sony but I feel Kraven shouldn't be lumped in with Morbius or El Muerto

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I recall original plan for No Way Home was basically Peter being on the run with Kraven hunting him, presumably hired by J Jonah Jameson.

Would had much preferred then over the nostalgic-fest we got. But nah, gotta get the feelz.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyway I want a new Spider-Man vs Venom movie. And I'm man enough to admit I'm going full MEAT HEAD with it. I want a 40 minute fight scene like the old kung-fu films! With Peter and Eddie just beating the ever living dog **** out of each other.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Anyway I want a new Spider-Man vs Venom movie. And I'm man enough to admit I'm going full MEAT HEAD with it. I want a 40 minute fight scene like the old kung-fu films! With Peter and Eddie just beating the ever living dog **** out of each other.
Hopefully Tom Holland Spidey 4 does it right this time.

I mean Spidey 3 is still a cinematic masterpiece but the most memorable scenes where the ones where Peter wasn't fighting Venom.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't think we would be getting Jasper if we were to get more Steven Universe rep. She's not that important in the grand scheme of things, isn't overly popular, and she doesn't have the crazy moveset potential to make up for it. I think the most likely third Steven Universe rep is either Lapis or Peridot, the fourth would be Amythyst or Pearl, and the fifth would be Spinel. If they're doing semiclones, they could do Stevonnie or Rose Quartz as well. After that is when Jasper enters the equation, but there's still competition from the unchosen parts of the pairs, Bismuth, and maybe even the Diamonds.

I think it's likely that both series get up to three reps, but I don't think they'll go beyond that. Yes, the game will go on for awhile, but there's such a wide scope that giving so many reps to one series might be wasteful. There's also the problem that Steven Universe is, as far as we know, a dead series. In 4 years time, why add a fourth SU rep (when it hasn't gotten anything new in half a decade) when a new show could get it's forth rep? There's also no way of knowing how long the Gumball revival will go for, it could very well be a small revival mostly for character send-offs (ironically like Steven Universe Future). I hope I'm wrong on both fronts, but I think it best to temper expectations for the time being.
The other gems are definitely more likely, but if they want villains, I think spinel and jasper are fair game. Easier the. The diamonds powers to transfer and both could be pretty interesting. I would also say jasper is very popular in the fandom, between all the au drawings people do with her, the demands to always see her again during the show and a redemption, how iconic the episode where Steven trains with her became, etc. considering she straight up bodied every gem in the show, I think they could go crazy with her moveset.

As for the gym all revival, it sounds like it’s a continuation of the show:

The movie is meant to bridge these two worlds and setup a new show.

So I imagine they have a good amount Of seasons in mind with this setup and the effort going into it.

Which If it’s as good as the original, that’s going to be pretty great.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I recall original plan for No Way Home was basically Peter being on the run with Kraven hunting him, presumably hired by J Jonah Jameson.

Would had much preferred then over the nostalgic-fest we got. But nah, gotta get the feelz.
I don't even like MCU Spider-Man that much and even I still liked NWH. Outside of Nostalgia, it did manage to do well with Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Electro. Something a lot of films with more than two villains can't really say. I think only the Lizard didn't get much going for him. And the more physical/practical fight scenes were good.

Hopefully Tom Holland Spidey 4 does it right this time.

I mean Spidey 3 is still a cinematic masterpiece but the most memorable scenes where the ones where Peter wasn't fighting Venom.
The Sandman fight is actual cinema though. I'll give it that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hollywood just needs to stop digging back up old franchises and stick to making new ones.

Simple as that.

Nostalgia.

They're just too lazy and its the easiest way to get audiences now.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I don't even like MCU Spider-Man that much and even I still liked NWH. Outside of Nostalgia, it did manage to do well with Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Electro. Something a lot of films with more than two villains can't really say. I think only the Lizard didn't get much going for him. And the more physical/practical fight scenes were good.
Iirc they couldn't do much with the Lizard because the actor couldn't quite show up to the set, but he did record lines. Same with Sandman, though Sandman had a bigger role (and more lines as well). That's why the villians panel, promos, and such revolved around Willem, Alfred, and Jamie.

The Sandman fight is actual cinema though. I'll give it that.
The way they handled Sandman is definitely the best (non meme) thing of the film.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

What Gorr should've looked like.

Instead we basically get Quan Chi or in other works generic human face.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I also watched one of the Getter Robo anime series, New Getter Robo. It was pretty alright. I really dug the artstyle, though I feel like it needed a couple more episodes or something. I'd suggest watching that too, also Megalo Box. I'll keep saying it.

Hollywood just needs to stop digging back up old franchises and stick to making new ones.

Simple as that.

Nostalgia.

They're just too lazy and its the easiest way to get audiences now.
I agree with that for the most part, primarily with the film industry, as new TV franchises like Amphibia or that Owl House show get to have a few seasons, or franchises that aren't known to the general public until an adaptation like Invincible. So that leads to smaller films not getting much room for the Blockbuster mega franchises. This has been the case for the past few years, though I imagine COVID didn't help as people aren't gonna risk getting sick, outside of a few exceptions(and I'm one to wait in general, I'm not risking my health for Spider-Man, let alone any other thing). And the Game Industry I would say is far more diverse in content, especially if you aren't only slopping up AAA titles from big studios.

But you're also the guy who keeps asking for Godzilla and other Kaiju franchises, or crossovers, on a Smash Brothers related website.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
omg

we all know there was a person somewhere asking for a Madame Web movie
Person who falls for NFT scam loses NFT by falling for a scam.

It's almost poetic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
When I think of nostalgia I think of something that had been absent for over a decade or more. Notably Bill & Ted, Coming To America, Jumanji, Matrix, etc. Franchises that were dug back up from their graves.

Not characters or franchises characters who just have been relevant for decades. Godzilla, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Superman, Batman, etc.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
By your logic guess Batman, Superman, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny are nostalgia as well.

No that's different. These are characters who just have been relevant for decades.
You literally complained about Nostalgia, relating to Spider-Man. Who's just as much as an American cultural staple as Batman and Superman are, if not more so, given sales related to the character's merch is higher. Spider-Man is a character who has been relevant since 1962.

By your logic, K.Rool or Banjo being added to Smash is pandering in the same way making said new Bill and Ted or Coming 2 America. I don't think all nostalgia is bad, it just needs a balance between old and new, and I agree we've been skewing towards nostalgia a little too hard, compared to 20, 15 and even 10 years ago now.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
double post
You literally complained about Nostalgia, relating to Spider-Man. Who's just as much as an American cultural staple as Batman and Superman are, if not more so, given sales related to the character's merch is higher. Spider-Man is a character who has been relevant since 1962.
Sort of yes but certain versions which in this case Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield.

and I agree we've been skewing towards nostalgia a little too hard, compared to 20, 15 and even 10 years ago now.
Which is exactly my problem with it.

Try to focus and make more new stuff. I'd much appreciate that.

I will admit too, Top Gun: Maverick IMO seems like its doing what is right in terms of balance and potential. Might be one of the better "belated" sequels. There has been exceptions yes like Blade Runner and Bad Boys with their second and third films but apparently that ain't often as most tend to suck.

osby

Smash Obsessed
When I think of nostalgia I think of something that had been absent for over a decade or more. Notably Bill & Ted, Coming To America, Jumanji, Matrix, etc. Franchises that were dug back up from their graves.

Not characters or franchises characters who just have been relevant for decades. Godzilla, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Superman, Batman, etc.
So, franchises should just die unless they release new entries constantly? That seems dumb.

There are a lot of series that handled a comeback gracefully. Just because you cherrypick the ones you dislike doesn't mean that nostalgia is inherently a bad way to create.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Putting this as polite as possible, weren't you the one asking for Angry Beavers in NASB? Would that not fall under the former category? This seems a bit like cherry-picking to me

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There are a lot of series that handled a comeback gracefully. Just because you cherrypick the ones you dislike doesn't mean that nostalgia is inherently a bad way to create.
And there had been exceptions but for the most part though no.

Blade Runner 2049, Bad Boys For Life, potentially Top Gun: Maverick. The former two were done right. Nick bringing back their old shows for movie specials (Rocko, Hey Arnold, Invader Zim) they handled right with such a comeback.

It's also just I want new stuff rather then Hollywood relying on this nostalgia.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I feel like it gets blurred with said logic. Like Star Wars is a cultural icon, everyone worldwide knows what that is, it's a juggernaut of a franchise.

And yet, one can still safely that Vader is just as iconic as Batman, a character who appeared multiple centuries earlier. DC just had Micheal Keaton Batman return for some reason, that's blatant nostalgia pandering for the 80s kids. The Batman was filled with nostalgia pandering.

And yet, for something like Star Wars, one of the biggest criticisms of the new movies is the "nostalgia pandering". But the latest DC related stuff is somehow not that. Both Star Wars and DC are American icons of media. So where does one become nostalgia and the other not? Like, where is the line drawn.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Oh yeah, topic change but

TheMightyP TheMightyP Wademan94 Wademan94 Lamperouge Lamperouge CannonStreak CannonStreak Noipoi Noipoi Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo (I think that's everyone who might care about IDW Sonic news, lol)

Did y'all hear that the IDW team is getting harrassed by an up and coming copyright troll? We got a new Penders situation a brewin:

The accuser in question, NivStudio is...Well...

yeah lol

They deleted that last tweet. :nifty:

I wonder if they genuinely feel slighted or just want that EZ copyright troll payout.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Putting this as polite as possible, weren't you the one asking for Angry Beavers in NASB? Would that not fall under the former category? This seems a bit like cherry-picking to me
That's utterly different given that's a game.

My main problem is how most of these "belated" sequels had sucked and so I don't want Hollywood to keep destroying them especially after they had fine conclusions.

As I mentioned, there had been exceptions such as Blade Runner and Bad Boys, Top Gun seems promising too. I don't seem to have a problem with Nick bringing back their old shows for movie specials like Invader Zim, Hey Arnold and Rocko because they know what they're doing and those were actually good.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh yeah, topic change but

TheMightyP TheMightyP Wademan94 Wademan94 Lamperouge Lamperouge CannonStreak CannonStreak Noipoi Noipoi Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo (I think that's everyone who might care about IDW Sonic news, lol)

Did y'all hear that the IDW team is getting harrassed by an up and coming copyright troll? We got a new Penders situation a brewin:

The accuser in question, NivStudio is...Well...

yeah lol

They deleted that last tweet. :nifty:

I wonder if they genuinely feel slighted or just want that EZ copyright troll payout.
I feel a sense of impendering doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom