• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I just... I have a pathological need to be excited for things. And that need combined with my.. tastes... causes **** like this. Like... Smash has been the only bright spot in my life for about... gosh. I wanna say four years at this point. With Crash 4 being the only notable exception. I wouldn’t get this attached to it if other people were out there pulling the slack but they’re not. So I just... can’t help it. I want to be excited for Sephiroth. But I can’t be. And that really makes me mad at... well... myself.
I mean, I gotta ask, are 'you' excited for Geno personally, or the buzz around Geno? Do you 'like' Geno as a character, or do you want there to be a 'gush' of hype that gives you a high? Because from the way you've worded it, it sounds like you care more about the buzz and the feel good of Geno getting in than Geno himself.

Sephiroth has had overwhelmingly positive reactions, like, I haven't seen THIS many people happy over a character.... ever... and if Monster Hunter gets in, I mean, hell, I don't care for Monster Hunter, but it's one of the biggest games on the planet, so even though I personally don't like it, I'll be soo happy that millions of others will be happy.

Like, it kinda feels like you jumped onto the Geno bandwagon not out of love for the character, but because you feel like he 'needs' to get in to feel good, and maybe I'm wrong here, but that's kinda a wrong reason to support a character.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Didn't they announce the new Ghosts 'n Goblins and that game about the girl and her shadow?

Also, did they even show that many JRPGs or are you just projecting?
Mainly I’m just bitter about Scarlet Nexus because it looked like a hack n slash when it was first revealed but it has been stated sense that it is blatantly not one. So yes. In a sense I am projecting.

Ghosts n Goblins is pretty neat, as is the Capcom Arcade thing. Don’t remember that girl and shadow game though. It must not have stood out to me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well today was certainly something.

Once again my predictions were blown away. I’m not even gonna bother anymore. Don’t get me wrong, there are characters I still feel have a strong standing, but from here on out I’m just gonna go with the flow and enjoy the remainder of Sakurai’s wild ride while hoping for a Bandicoot or a Rayman here and there.

It could be argued I should have made this decision sooner.

Aw well, g’night everybody!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I gotta ask, are 'you' excited for Geno personally, or the buzz around Geno? Do you 'like' Geno as a character, or do you want there to be a 'gush' of hype that gives you a high? Because from the way you've worded it, it sounds like you care more about the buzz and the feel good of Geno getting in than Geno himself.

Sephiroth has had overwhelmingly positive reactions, like, I haven't seen THIS many people happy over a character.... ever... and if Monster Hunter gets in, I mean, hell, I don't care for Monster Hunter, but it's one of the biggest games on the planet, so even though I personally don't like it, I'll be soo happy that millions of others will be happy.

Like, it kinda feels like you jumped onto the Geno bandwagon not out of love for the character, but because you feel like he 'needs' to get in to feel good, and maybe I'm wrong here, but that's kinda a wrong reason to support a character.
That was why I started liking him. But then as time went on and I got more knowledge about gaming culture in general I started liking him for him. There’s also the kind of... osmosis of hype that happens with me. Like, part of what shaped my love of Crash Bandicoot was Caddicarus’s love for him. Same with the Completionist and Banjo-Kazooie. I know like both series entirely on their own merits, but I will admit that if they hadn’t spent so much time gushing over those two then I probably wouldn’t have even bothered checking them out. And I think I did kind of absorb the hype around Geno to start with. But now I like him entirely for my own reasons.

D

Deleted member

Well today was certainly something.

Once again my predictions were blown away. I’m not even gonna bother anymore. Don’t get me wrong, there are characters I still feel have a strong standing, but from here on out I’m just gonna go with the flow and enjoy the remainder of Sakurai’s wild ride while hoping for a Bandicoot or a Rayman here and there.

It could be argued I should have made this decision sooner.

Aw well, g’night everybody!
Good night Noipoi.

I'll let you know if I manage to find a Shiny Whooper in Pokémon Go to trade with you.

Shroob

Sup?
That was why I started liking him. But then as time went on and I got more knowledge about gaming culture in general I started liking him for him. There’s also the kind of... osmosis of hype that happens with me. Like, part of what shaped my love of Crash Bandicoot was Caddicarus’s love for him. Same with the Completionist and Banjo-Kazooie. I know like both series entirely on their own merits, but I will admit that if they hadn’t spent so much time gushing over those two then I probably wouldn’t have even bothered checking them out. And I think I did kind of absorb the hype around Geno to start with. But now I like him entirely for my own reasons.
Well, that's good.

But I will say, if he is Mii'd come next week, there's no reason to be mad, nor did he ever 'need' to get in. Would it suck? I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of the character and would feel bad for his fans, but no character 'deserves' to get into Smash.

We're not Sakurai, we don't control who is and isn't on the roster, and while it can be sad or upsetting to see our favorite not make it, seriously, I've had several Mii Costume'd this cycle, I'm not angry. Disappointed? A bit sure, but I also realized that none of those characters 'deserved' a spot, because no single character 'deserves' to get in.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well, that's good.

But I will say, if he is Mii'd come next week, there's no reason to be mad, nor did he ever 'need' to get in. Would it suck? I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of the character and would feel bad for his fans, but no character 'deserves' to get into Smash.

We're not Sakurai, we don't control who is and isn't on the roster, and while it can be sad or upsetting to see our favorite not make it, seriously, I've had several Mii Costume'd this cycle, I'm not angry. Disappointed? A bit sure, but I also realized that none of those characters 'deserved' a spot, because no single character 'deserves' to get in.
Excuse me, but mother****ing PANTHERK deserve to be in Smash more than anyone else. If you don't agree or don't even know who PANTHERK is, then you aren't a true Gamer in my eyes.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well, that's good.

I kind of miss the days when we argued over deservedness as if it were an actual criteria. Smash feel less special if anyone can get in. To me at least.

I’m just... I don’t know. I think I actually don’t like Mii Costumes anymore. They’re just like Assust Trophies. All they do is kill the hype around certain characters because they’re the ones who didn’t make it. And Geno.... lots of people have just been asking for him for so long. And like... there’s never going to be another Smash Ultimate. If they really don’t make a third season, he really can’t be added until a sequel who knows how many years from now. And even then... everyone won’t be here anymore.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I kind of miss the days when we argued over deservedness as if it were an actual criteria. Smash feel less special if anyone can get in. To me at least.
Good riddance.

There was nothing fun about deservedness arguments unless your faves fit into the super-specific criteria of the old gatekeepers. I hated how the sheer idea of supporting third parties other than the big, iconic, "honorary Nintendo" franchises was enough to make you a contrarian troll.

Smash is a lot more fun and exciting for me when pretty much anyone can get in if they bring something to the table.

Shroob

Sup?

I’m just... I don’t know. I think I actually don’t like Mii Costumes anymore. They’re just like Assust Trophies. All they do is kill the hype around certain characters because they’re the ones who didn’t make it. And Geno.... lots of people have just been asking for him for so long. And like... there’s never going to be another Smash Ultimate. If they really don’t make a third season, he really can’t be added until a sequel who knows how many years from now. And even then... everyone won’t be here anymore.
I mean, that's just more or less an allegory for getting older lol.

And I mean, no, deservedness debates sucked. "Geno DESERVES to get in. Terry? No one asked for him, **** Terry!" Deservedness debates always boiled down to extremely close-minded, frankly elitist, thinking. The fact that Smash has more or less opened its doors is one of the best thing to happen.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Honestly, what I miss from the old days was when Nintendo character weren't considered "lame" choices that wouldn't live up to the hype.

And it's not to say I have a problem with 3rd party, I just don't like when either party get suddenly treated like crap compared to the others. Why can't we just be all cool with each other when it come the game where Min-Min can give noodles to Sephiroth?

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, what I miss from the old days was when Nintendo character weren't considered "lame" choices that wouldn't live up to the hype.

And it's not to say I have a problem with 3rd party, I just don't like when either party get suddenly treated like crap compared to the others. Why can't we just be all cool with each other when it come the game where Min-Min can give noodles to Sephiroth?
Honestly, I feel like the issue is just that the Nintendo characters, at least the most recent ones, are all very recent.

I love Byleth and Min Min being here(Granted, I love Ultimate so I inherently love them), but I can see why people would get blasé about them as well(Though, Min Min isn't really a 'promo' pick like soo many claim).

I feel like if it were a character like say, BWD, Dixie, Chorus Kids, or hell, Waluigi, you'd get people freaking the **** out, and Rex/Pyra would probably fall under that umbrella as well.

D

Deleted member

I really agree.

People shouldn't judge someone for wanting characters who happen to be first or third party specifically, as in the end most characters can have a lot of cool stuff on their own.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, that's just more or less an allegory for getting older lol.

And I mean, no, deservedness debates sucked. "Geno DESERVES to get in. Terry? No one asked for him, **** Terry!" Deservedness debates always boiled down to extremely close-minded, frankly elitist, thinking. The fact that Smash has more or less opened its doors is one of the best thing to happen.
I just think that makes it less special. If literally anyone can get in... then why do they add anyone at all? What are the reasons they were chosen over someone else? What’s the idea behind the game, the theme? How are we supposed to even speculate when it could be literally anyone? And how are we supposed to get excited gir anything if we don’t even have an idea of who to expect?

D

Deleted member

I don't know why, but I've been feeling really calm and relaxed since the middle of the night.

Haven't felt this well in a good while, so I may take a small walk to make good use of this special situation.

Something tells me this is gonna be a good day.

Shroob

Sup?
I just think that makes it less special. If literally anyone can get in... then why do they add anyone at all? What are the reasons they were chosen over someone else? What’s the idea behind the game, the theme? How are we supposed to even speculate when it could be literally anyone? And how are we supposed to get excited gir anything if we don’t even have an idea of who to expect?
I mean, your last two points are very easy to answer.

"How are we supposed to even speculate"

Answer: Speculate ALL the things. Believe it or not, but when there's discussion that's open to all forms of discussion and people don't shut down others because they believe their line of thought is "Not likely", discussion is very enjoyable and fun.

"How are we supposed to get excited for anything if we don't know what to expect."

Sephiroth didn't leak, but the internet exploded with excitement. I don't think I need to explain why having information spoon fed to you is less exciting than going into something blind and being shellshocked by something that you never saw coming. True, there are people who don't enjoy the surprise, but more people, I'd wager, LIKE to go into Smash reveals completely blind. It's why seeing Sonic pop up randomly on the Dojo back in Brawl one night was soo goddamn special.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, your last two points are very easy to answer.

"How are we supposed to even speculate"

Answer: Speculate ALL the things. Believe it or not, but when there's discussion that's open to all forms of discussion and people don't shut down others because they believe their line of thought is "Not likely", discussion is very enjoyable and fun.

"How are we supposed to get excited for anything if we don't know what to expect."

Sephiroth didn't leak, but the internet exploded with excitement. I don't think I need to explain why having information spoon fed to you is less exciting than going into something blind and being shellshocked by something that you never saw coming. True, there are people who don't enjoy the surprise, but more people, I'd wager, LIKE to go into Smash reveals completely blind. It's why seeing Sonic pop up randomly on the Dojo back in Brawl one night was soo goddamn special.
But like... what’s the point of speculation if you can’t rule anyone out? Like... you’re not accomplishing anything anymore.

And like... yeah, Sephiroth was hype (if your not a dum dum like me) but you know what wasn’t? The nebulous Fighter #3 who was coming at a nebulous future time. That wasn’t hype at all. And that’s what I’m more so referring to here.

Shroob

Sup?
But like... what’s the point of speculation if you can’t rule anyone out? Like... you’re not accomplishing anything anymore.

And like... yeah, Sephiroth was hype (if your not a dum dum like me) but you know what wasn’t? The nebulous Fighter #3 who was coming at a nebulous future time. That wasn’t hype at all. And that’s what I’m more so referring to here.
Honestly? The sense of community. Why do we come to this website day in and day out? Is it really to discuss Smash? Sure, I'm sure we discuss Smash while we're here, sometimes, but honestly, in the end, doesn't it just boil down to us having nothing to do with our spare time and wanting to kill time with individuals who like the things that we like? Speculation is, for all intents and purposes, inherently pointless and just for fun. Speculation has been extremely strained this entire FP due to how tight leak control has been, and frankly, I much enjoy this "Anything can happen" talk over "Doomguy, Geno, Crash, Dante" day in, day out. I have nothing against those characters, I actually want a few of them, but eventually, talking about the same thing every day gets boring.

As for that, that's simply a product of how Nintendo chose to market the pass and nothing more... There's no a whole lot we can really do about that. March and June both seem very likely for reveals/releases next year, but that's only just assumptions built on the trends that the DLC has been working with.

If nothing else, I think if the next DLC character is March, and then June-ish for if/when E3 is/would be, then it's pretty obvious that we won't be waiting ALL of 2021 to finish the pass, so there's that at the very least.

D

Deleted member

Before I go out for a walk, I wanted to share something which I think will interest Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , as I remember them saying they were excited for this movie:

Basically that Raya and the Last Dragon is coming to cinemas on March 5.

It was announced at some Disney shareholder thing last night.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I just think that makes it less special. If literally anyone can get in... then why do they add anyone at all? What are the reasons they were chosen over someone else?
Because they're cool. Because they do something only they can. Because people love a character. There's plenty of reasons Smash characters are chosen.

Snake... you really need to stop taking this stuff so personally. Yeah, I'm sad my boy Sora wasn't revealed tonight. I'm sad Waluigi, Takamaru, and Isaac could forever be assist trophies. But I will always welcome a new character, so long as they're fun to play.

Sephiroth is a literal gaming legend in comparison to, quite frankly, a gaming nobody like Geno. Geno doesn't "need" to be here. Geno had his time to shine back in SMRPG. He got to be a star in a game. Sephiroth, legend as he is, also doesn't "need" to be here.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. If you don't learn to chill out a bit, it can have genuinely dangerous effects on your mental health. Take a step back, okay? I'm worried about you.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
My head is still reeling from last night. I knew I should have eaten during TGAs.

Also good morning to you guys. That is all.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Just managed to woke up this morning and I see that Final Fantasy VII's antagonist Sephiroth makes his way as the third DLC character announced.

Bringing up Loki's recent comment that describes my thoughts, "Glorius."

Anyways in addition to Sephiroth's announcement, there had been a huge amount of MCU and Disney news from yesterday's Disney Investor Meeting which I am highly excited for.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Cloud must have PTSD from just hearing the first few notes of One-Winged Angel.

He thought he finally escaped the pain by joining the Smash Bros series (since Smash 4 didn't have Sephiroth theme) , but alas...

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I still can't believe that Sephiroth is actually ****ing here. Final Fantasy VII has been one of my favorite games of all time for years and I wanted Sephiroth but never actively supported him because I thought he didn't have a ****ing chance in hell with FFVII content already in Ultimate (minuscule though it may be), but god damn if Smash didn't prove me wrong yet again. I pretty much had a frame 1 reaction when One Winged Angel started playing and lost my **** lol.

Ultimate is ****ing incredible, guys. I know that's extremely obvious to a lot of us already but this ****ing game just keeps finding new ways to blow my mind and I love it.

D

Deleted member

I... I.... I.... I......

I....

I can’t even speak. Just... the thought of that sends all the wrong kinds of chills down my spine. It feels like a part of my soul is being ripped out. He can’t just be a Mii costume. He just can’t be.
I have said this multiple times throughout the past. I will say it again.

It is just a game. It is just a game for children. There are many, MANY flabbergasting and phenomenal games out there for you to play. It is not your life. please don't hurt yourself over your most wanted not getting in. It is such a poor reason to do awful things to yourself.

If Steve never got in for example, I would have wished Steve was in, but I wouldn't throw a permanent fit.

I do feel sympathy for Geno fans who heavily wanted Geno. But don't harass others, just because they wanted this character over your character. Don't take Ultimate so seriously. Ultimate is not going to last forever. There are many fun things in life, and many things to learn about.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I wasn't expected :ultsephiroth:ngl, but's he cool. At least it wasn't fortnite.... god only knows how I would have reacted in that case.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It'll be a pretty cool treat if the update also came with English voices for Cloud and Sephiroth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom