• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I still find it funny that the Illumination movie Despicable Me 3 has the line "It's on like Donkey Kong" in it.

Though that's likely a coincidence in relation to their Mario movie as the movie came out in 2017.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I have not seen Turning Red or Mr. Enter's video, but what I'm guessing he was trying to say is that some of the moments, feelings or actions taken by the characters do not coincide with the time period because of said--ahem, event. It'd be like if 20 years from now a movie was made that specifically takes place in 2020 and it had characters hugging, not wearing masks, going to crowded events and was all-in-all going about their days' unimpeded. You'd have some questions.

People are getting really defensive about that movie and it's bugging me :yoshi:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I have not seen Turning Red or Mr. Enter's video, but what I'm guessing he was trying to say is that some of the moments, feelings or actions taken by the characters do not coincide with the time period because of said--ahem, event. It'd be like if 20 years from now a movie was made that specifically takes place in 2020 and it had characters hugging, not wearing masks, going to crowded events and was all-in-all going about their days' unimpeded. You'd have some questions.

People are getting really defensive about that movie and it's bugging me :yoshi:
I mean, it's a fictional film, it doesn't have to reference or reflect additudes of the era that was predomonately shared by adults (not children) at the time, especially when the movie is all about teenage girls rebeling and boy bands which was super trendy in the 2000s.

Toy Story 2 had Andy being sent to a childrens camp and yet nobody was freaking the hell out over a possible Columbine 2.0. Same deal with that as it is with Turning Red.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I mean, it's a fictional film, it doesn't have to reference or reflect additudes of the era that was predomonately shared by adults (not children) at the time, especially when the movie is all about teenage girls rebeling and boy bands which was super trendy in the 2000s.

Toy Story 2 had Andy being sent to a childrens camp and yet nobody was freaking the hell out over a possible Columbine 2.0. Same deal with that as it is with Turning Red.
I was a kid in 2002. Trust me, it was predominately on our minds. Also there's a difference between a movie taking place in a vague contemporary point in time (Toy Story 2) and one where there was a conscious effort to have it take place in that exact year.

Also, the severity of the two incidents are not equivalent

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I was a kid in 2002. Trust me, it was predominately on our minds. Also there's a difference between a movie taking place in a vague contemporary point in time (Toy Story 2) and one where there was a conscious effort to have it take place in that exact year.

Also, the severity of the two incidents are not equivalent
The director was also born in 2002, and considering it was based on her experiences, it probably wasn't important enough to put in the movie.

Also, on that note, yes the severities were different, yes, but they both instilled fear (rational or irrational) on a national level that caused us to ramp up heavy security in places like airports, or schools. That does not mean that movies have to follow that.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Lord of the Rings The Two Towers is bad because Orlando Bloom and Ian McKellen don't turn to the camera and directly mention 9/11. Like damn, it's a 2002 film and it has Two Towers in the title, how can you not mention 9/11?

Peter Jackson's a hack fraud smh my head

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Can't imagine how much he spent watching Spider-Man: No Way Home 292 times.
Him after realizing he wasted all this time and money on a mid movie when Morbius (cinema) was about to release
thanos-memoji.gif

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The director was also born in 2002, and considering it was based on her experiences, it probably wasn't important enough to put in the movie.

Also, on that note, yes the severities were different, yes, but they both instilled fear (rational or irrational) on a national level that caused us to ramp up heavy security in places like airports, or schools. That does not mean that movies have to follow that.
Also, I just wanna say that on the part where Mr. Enter was complaining abiut no 9/11 sentiments on Turning Red, the video cut to a scene that featured a woman in a Hijab and um...

I can't even say it was unfortunate given that it's Mr. Enter who probs did it on purpose

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Mr. Enter is a cartoon reviewer known for being...one of those cartoon reviewers.

In his Turning Red review, he said that the movie doesn't talk enough about 9/11. Because it takes place in 2002.

It was very silly.
Knowing that I watched his content when I was younger has caused me to find the good in every piece of media I consume, just to spite overly negative and nitpicky animation critics.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Also, on that note, yes the severities were different, yes, but they both instilled fear (rational nor irrational) on a national level that caused us to ramp up heavy security in places like airports, or schools. That does not mean that movies have to follow that.
Putting aside the fact that Toy Story 2 doesn't have a set date and assume it does take place in 1999, maybe a little hypothetical will clear this up. What if the events of that movie did follow Andy to the summer camp but there was no security and there was a lot less oversight on what the students do? Not only would it conflict with the reality of that time period, it would've robbed a moment of tension assuming we're following the toys' journey (say, they cannot be spotted by security or it would get Andy in trouble). Likewise, what if it wasn't only the main character's mother who was concerned about them going to a concert in Turning Red? (I don't know if that was the case since I haven't seen it, therefore I'm withholding judgment. That's just what I'm told from synopsis') What if all the other friends' parents had freaked out about this? Maybe the main character could've learned not only about anxiety from her controlling mother, but from her friends as well? And not of that necessarily means that 9/11 has to be directly stated, just that there's this level of fear and anxiety that is really isolated to that time period specifically. And it could tie into the--ahem, "growing up" metaphor the movie is trying to make. :yoshi:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Also, I just wanna say that on the part where Mr. Enter was complaining abiut no 9/11 sentiments on Turning Red, the video cut to a scene that featured a woman in a Hijab and um...

I can't even say it was unfortunate given that it's Mr. Enter who probs did it on purpose
Mr. Enter's a notoriously bad editor so I'll chalk that up to stupidity, not malice :yoshi:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Putting aside the fact that Toy Story 2 doesn't have a set date and assume it does take place in 1999, maybe a little hypothetical will clear this up. What if the events of that movie did follow Andy to the summer camp but there was no security and there was a lot less oversight on what the students do? Not only would it conflict with the reality of that time period, it would've robbed a moment of tension assuming we're following the toys' journey (say, they cannot be spotted by security or it would get Andy in trouble). Likewise, what if it wasn't only the main character's mother who was concerned about them going to a concert in Turning Red? (I don't know if that was the case since I haven't seen it, therefore I'm withholding judgment. That's just what I'm told from synopsis') What if all the other friends' parents had freaked out about this? Maybe the main character could've learned not only about anxiety from her controlling mother, but from her friends as well? And not of that necessarily means that 9/11 has to be directly stated, just that there's this level of fear and anxiety that is really isolated to that time period specifically. And it could tie into the--ahem, "growing up" metaphor the movie is trying to make. :yoshi:
The other characters mothers didn't want them to go either because of their "conservative values". The girls sneak out to the concert instead. The thing is though, the other mothers are not important to the story, considering the theme is generational trauma of a Chinese-Canadian girl and not all of her friends.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
In the possibility humanity did perfect time travel, there is a very real possibility that someone did travel back in time and is living among... living alongside us without being detected.
You’re not that slick, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom