• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And I have an excuse to post this again.
and now I must assume Shadow is either in the movie or will be in Sonic 3

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I dunno dude it's just a chill Kirby game with the Z axis. That's rad.

The abilities are fun, the levels are cute, the worlds have some interesting lore...

It's not this mind-blowing experience, but its a pretty tight 3D Kirby with some enjoyably twisted themes. A breath of fresh air, after how standard Star Allies felt.
kirby is the carly rae jepsen of nintendo games. there isn't much substance to chew on and think about, but the easygoing and innocent fun is more than enough for a lot of people (including me).
These three arguments are what it boils down too I guess. And I guess I just want more then that. Idk. But you put me in a 3D space and I want something more. More engaging platforming like Mario 3D World or Crash Bandicoot. More engaging combat like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Or More engaging Collectathon elements like Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie. And I just feel this game does none of them very well. And like really. We go from Super Abilities, to a mega inhale, to a mech suit, to ability combos and fanservace playable characters, to a z-axis and Kirby forgetting how to swallow. That is SUCH a downgrade imo.
No exploration?

What have you been playing?

This is just one example, and then you have things like the crazy requirements for the hal rooms and how hidden their locations can be, the simple little bits where you go “huh can I fly there?” And then get rewarded for doing so.

There is definitely a solid feel of exploration for a platformer.
I didn’t say that it want there. I just said it was incredibly simple if you like… had a brain. And followed the basic rules of how collectibles are hidden in a standard platformer. I have only finished the first world, and even then, I’ve only been exploring enough to find the Waddle Dees. Though I have gotten all of them in that first world. I don’t even know what these “Hal Rooms” you speak of are. Maybe it gets more intense later on but like, when a game doesn’t hook you at the beginning and you then want to put it down, are you really at fault for not knowing? In the world I played I think I only ever missed one Waddle Dee on my first run of a level (not counting the damage-less run of the boss) and that was because I just didn’t know I had to destroy the wanted poster. Like, why would I do that unless the game told me to? Now I know to nuke em every time but… come on.

And like, humor me. What does going into the hotel get you? What does it reward you with? Cause if it was Waddle Dees (the only collectibles that seem to really matter) then I guarantee that that streamer wouldn’t have been so shocked.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
These three arguments are what it boils down too I guess. And I guess I just want more then that. Idk. But you put me in a 3D space and I want something more. More engaging platforming like Mario 3D World or Crash Bandicoot. More engaging combat like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Or More engaging Collectathon elements like Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie. And I just feel this game does none of them very well. And like really. We go from Super Abilities, to a mega inhale, to a mech suit, to ability combos and fanservace playable characters, to a z-axis and Kirby forgetting how to swallow. That is SUCH a downgrade imo.

I didn’t say that it want there. I just said it was incredibly simple if you like… had a brain. And followed the basic rules of how collectibles are hidden in a standard platformer. I have only finished the first world, and even then, I’ve only been exploring enough to find the Waddle Dees. Though I have gotten all of them in that first world. I don’t even know what these “Hal Rooms” you speak of are. Maybe it gets more intense later on but like, when a game doesn’t hook you at the beginning and you then want to put it down, are you really at fault for not knowing? In the world I played I think I only ever missed one Waddle Dee on my first run of a level (not counting the damage-less run of the boss) and that was because I just didn’t know I had to destroy the wanted poster. Like, why would I do that unless the game told me to? Now I know to nuke em every time but… come on.

And like, humor me. What does going into the hotel get you? What does it reward you with? Cause if it was Waddle Dees (the only collectibles that seem to really matter) then I guarantee that that streamer wouldn’t have been so shocked.
See you’ve already kinda proven my point.

All these extra explorable areas are optional and give you either completely different paths through the levels or get you to some secrets.

Your on world 2 so I won’t spoil much,

But there are 3 Hal rooms in the game, special rooms hidden by the developers with fun Easter eggs and some side things for you to do.

You already missed one because you haven’t opened your eyes to additional exploration.

Just because the level seems linear, trust me there’s multiple instances where they aren’t.

Also the waddle fees aren’t suppose to be hard to find, the real secrets are one like that hotel. Which like I said gives you new sights different items and a different side path.

To put it in perspective more, I gurantee you will miss a big secret route down the line in one of the levels. If you explore and find that route, you get to take on literally a whole new level with double the fights in it.

There’s way more sight seeing in this game then finding the waddle dees.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Pranked!

It gets more intense later on, you’ll probably miss more Waddle Dees, too. If you want difficulty from the platforming, though, you probably won’t get much of that outside of maybe a few Waddle Dee missions; Kirby can float, after all, even if he gets tired like in Kirby 64. The fights start to get harder, though.

You can also get more star coins and sometimes a blueprint from exploring, as well as those gotcha figures.

Imo, some of the stuff in this game wouldn’t have worked as well in a 2D setting. Waddle Dee Town, some moves bosses pull off (the 3D fights are cool and refreshing too), and Mouthful Mode included. (Mouthful Mode is explained as being the result of the strange portal causing something in Kirby’s body, allowing him to inhale and use large objects without gulping them down).

As for why it’s fun, mainly Kirby fans just find it fun because, well, it’s Kirby, and his games feel fun and nice to play, whether they’re 2D or 3D, whether he’s fighting an eldritch being or that goofy tree.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
and now I must assume Shadow is either in the movie or will be in Sonic 3
um…did I actually spoil myself?
I know y'all wanna post spoilers but please actually proof-read and make sure you're spoiling it. Including when you quote a post with an unmarked spoiler.
oh god…oh ****…aw ****…
4C9C2B4A-8C9A-4A8E-B841-03FFAD3A88D1.jpeg

Noipoi

Howdy!
Without mouthful mode we wouldn't have a Kirby game where you defeat the apocalyptically-inclined extra-dimensional god by just running him over with a ****ing truck.

So its based.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I live in a world where Carly Shay has defeated Wanda Maximoff

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
See you’ve already kinda proven my point.

All these extra explorable areas are optional and give you either completely different paths through the levels or get you to some secrets.

Your on world 2 so I won’t spoil much,

But there are 3 Hal rooms in the game, special rooms hidden by the developers with fun Easter eggs and some side things for you to do.

You already missed one because you haven’t opened your eyes to additional exploration.

Just because the level seems linear, trust me there’s multiple instances where they aren’t.

Also the waddle fees aren’t suppose to be hard to find, the real secrets are one like that hotel. Which like I said gives you new sights different items and a different side path.

To put it in perspective more, I gurantee you will miss a big secret route down the line in one of the levels. If you explore and find that route, you get to take on literally a whole new level with double the fights in it.

There’s way more sight seeing in this game then finding the waddle dees.
But if the game doesn’t reward you for doing it then why do it? The game only seems to reward you for finding the dees. If you do all that stuff then cool, you found some stuff. But you gotta play the level again and find the dees. If you find the dees first then why not just move on? How is it supposed to be rewarding if it literally doesn’t reward you with the games main collectibles?

synkronized

Banned via Administration
But if the game doesn’t reward you for doing it then why do it? The game only seems to reward you for finding the dees. If you do all that stuff then cool, you found some stuff. But you gotta play the level again and find the dees. If you find the dees first then why not just move on? How is it supposed to be rewarding if it literally doesn’t reward you with the games main collectibles?
it's a difference between prioritizing extrinsic or intrinsic motivation. a game that motivates you with tangible upgrades or collectables for exploring is more extrinsic, like MMX or SM64. but a game that is built around making the player motivate themself is more intrinsic, something like minecraft or BOTW for instance. a game that's intended to be more chillax and chill like kirby might want to go for a more intrinsic approach, because they don't want people to feel stressed out and feel like they NEED to get the collectables and such

in this essay i will

Noipoi

Howdy!
I forgot how much black people love Sonic at the theatre and entire rows are just black people.

Makes me damn proud of my kind.
It speaks to us as a people.

Fighting an oppressor who wants to enslave or destroy our kind.

Freeing animals from little cages.

Rolling into a ball and going through loops.

All staples of the black experience.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It speaks to us as a people.

Fighting an oppressor who wants to enslave or destroy our kind.

Freeing animals from little cages.

Rolling into a ball and going through loops.

All staples of the black experience.
And despite this the Japanese dub for the movie has a racist guy who did blackface and mocked African culture as Knuckles

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
You liked Mario 3D World, right?

iirc, isn’t the only “reward” in most Mario games the satisfaction of beating the level and moving onto the next, until you beat Bowser/the big bad? In 3D World, I think the only unlockable was Rosalina and the bonus levels after the game’s ending. And even then, replaying the levels, or even the entire game, can be very fun, despite you having accomplished everything already.

While making the player feel like they’re progressing by finding and/or unlocking cool new things can be a nice experience, it isn’t a necessity for the game to be good and for players to have fun. Kirby and the Forgotten Land does have the unlocking thing, though; aside from the Waddle Dees and the stuff in their town, there’s also the blueprints you can find to evolve your copy abilities, as well as the cool figurines. Like in Mario games and others, as you progress there’s cool new stuff in the levels and bosses and stuff as well, even if they’re limited to being within those levels.

Basically, as long as it feels cool and fun to play, that’s good enough, even if there’s no big unlockables. If you don’t find it fun, it’s probably not for you, and that’s okay.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m hoping to get out to see Sonic 2 soon. I just have to get off my lazy butt and cash my check first. My usual ride has been unavailable and I really haven’t felt like making the walk to the bank as of late.

I already got spoiled on the film so I’m not in any rush anyhow, I kinda expected a Shadow tease as well so it’s not that big a deal to me. It’s nice to be able to be excited for a Video Game movie for once.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Except their are rewards, I believe several of these rooms house rare or exclusive collectibles you can’t get otherwise.

in addition to bonus money and powers that can come in hand for levels. They also indirectly tie into 100 preventing the game, because I believe some of them are sort of tied to the other collectibles, pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom